December 10, 2019

Guess who’s smiling warmly on the cover of PEOPLE magazine’s big 2019 “The Year in Pictures” issue?

You guessed: Michelle Obama, who’s been named, along with lesser lights Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Lopez and Taylor Swift –- who warranted inside “covers” –- as one of the 2019 “PEOPLE of the Year.” (Aside: we learn from this that to receive the honor this year, one had to be not just female and attractive but fabulously, incalculably wealthy.) The headline reads, “Michelle Obama: The Year I Told My Story…‘It’s easier to just be me.’”

Now, if you don’t know how PR campaigns work, let me tell you that nothing is an accident. The nature and timing of big-money publicity is planned down to the day, if not the hour. PR professionals on this level are tight with editors at major publications such as PEOPLE, not just to get covers and feature spreads but all sorts of helpful little mentions sprinkled here and there. I guarantee you, there is no one in the entire world who has PR “special handling” to rival Michelle Obama’s.

This year, she was named not only as America’s Most Admired Woman (her husband is Most Admired Man, with Trump coming in second), but also as Most Admired Woman on the planet.

Her spread in PEOPLE starts on page 80 with a photo of smiling, approachable Michelle –- wearing a bustier, no less, but still looking appropriately modest –- and the words: “Michelle OBAMA...a record-setting bestseller. A book tour that sold out stadiums around the world. With the White House behind her and an empty nest at home, the former First Lady revels in THE WIDE-OPEN HORIZON AHEAD (emphasis mine): ‘Life feels a little different now.’”

In the interview by Sandra Sobieraj Westfall, the question of running for President is never specifically asked; Michelle, conveniently, doesn’t have to bother saying once again that there was no chance she’d run. Instead, in the introduction, there is a worshipful quote from her former-President husband: “I’ve been basking in the reflected glow of Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama for the better part of my life now, but somehow this past year, she’s raised it to another level.” Oh, and he goes on.

“Her vulnerability, her wit and wisdom and her fundamental decency have opened the door for millions of people around the world to get a better sense not simply of her story but of theirs,” he says. Imagine Obama himself, the former President of the United States, introducing her as the 2020 Democrat Party nominee for President of the United States. Mark my word, this is what we are going to see.

Look at everything the Democrats have tried to stop Trump from winning re-election. It is all backfiring. Increasingly, the impeachment is being seen for what it is, a purely political “coup” attempt that will end in failure. If it goes to the Senate, they’ll dismiss the charges --- not before bringing up witness after witness to reveal what the Democrats were really up to. It’s a disaster, and they are going to need something huge to turn attention away from it in time for the November election. Michelle is the ONLY person with the star power needed to do this.

Also, look at the incredible economic numbers, so strong that even many black people, glad to be working, are taking a more positive look at the current President. Democrats know the 2020 election absolutely cannot be about the economy. For Democrats in 2019, it’s personality, stupid.

By the way, one sidebar story that really struck me as a slap at Melania Trump is titled “Forever First Lady.” It seems that after Michelle told aspiring college students in 2018 that she’d always have their backs as their ‘forever First Lady,’ her young fans started putting that on T-shirts, handbags and jackets. News flash: we have a very lovely First Lady, her name is Melania, and she is never featured on magazine covers at all. Trump-haters have all sorts of lame reasons to rationalize that.

Also, PEOPLE does have a new article about Melania, or, rather, about a new book called FREE, MELANIA, that the White House really does not like. (I get the impression that Melania herself just does not give a flip. Good for her.) It’s eye-opening to contrast the worshipful “Michelle” prose with the unsparing “Melania” piece.

At the close of Michelle’s interview, Westfall asks her, “When you’ve been to the mountaintop –- successful career, First Lady, bestselling memoir of all time –- where else is there to go? What’s next?” Michelle’s answer (condensed): “I suffer no illusions that I’ve reached any mountaintop –-and, really, I hope I never do...Becoming is a lifelong process, and I take a lot of comfort in that fact. I don’t ever want to look around and think there is nowhere left to go –- because where’s the fun in that?”

She’ll run. As a “uniter.” As a rock star. As a moderate-appearing standard-bearer for identity politics. And if she wins, she’ll bring the whole Obama machine back with her. Ironically, if people vote for her because they think Trump “abused power,” they will be bringing back the same crew who DID abuse power to infiltrate Trump’s campaign, and, later, to impeach him with no evidence or due process.

Eric Beach, co-chair of the Great America Alliance, said Saturday on FOX News that the entrance of Michael Bloomberg into the race tells us, “...there is not a clear front-runner in the Democratic primary, and I also don’t think that [we’ve seen] the last candidate come out, whether it be Hillary Clinton or even Michelle Obama, because, as Michael Bloomberg also said, you know, Trump would eat up pretty much anybody that’s gonna be on that stage.” Democrats “have a message problem”, he said, and “impeachment’s not going to help that.”

He noted that Hillary has been dropping hints about getting into the election, and we all know she DESPERATELY wants to do that. I would add that Hillary’s entry, with her total charmlessness, outrageous lies, fragile health and boatload of baggage (with the ongoing investigations into 2016 likely to bring up even more) would be the kiss of death for Democrats, some of whom –- including the Obamas, of course –- are smart enough to get that. This corrupt, phony, clunky, unlikeable two-time loser who has alienated at least half the country would surely go down a third time, even if both coasts continue stubbornly to support her. Thank you, Electoral College, for working exactly as you were designed to do!

There’s only one thing that might stop Hillary in her aspirational but dead-end tracks: if Michelle gets in. She’s their ultimate weapon –- their atomic bomb, if you will, and the Enola Gay is getting ready to fire up its engines. There is NO ONE else within striking distance of President Trump, which is why she will be “persuaded” to launch her campaign, either as President or President-in-waiting (as in, VP). Hope I’m wrong, but the White House and GOP had better be ready for this.

Michelle Obama among People magazine’s ‘People of the Year’

• Dianne Roberts

12/10/2019 11:28 AM

What has she done to warrant a nomination? She surrendered her law license in lieu of being charged with a crime. I pray the Good LORD will continue to protect His people living in this country! TRUMP 2020 by the grace of God.

• Robbie Mize

12/10/2019 11:22 AM

Oh Heaven help us.....please not another Obama. I think I would be ready to depart this world without so much as a look back if it were not for my kids and grands......I cannot bear the thoughts of the suffering they would face. Me, at my age, I will be in a much better place. Getting old has it's advantages.

• Rhonda Fulghum

12/10/2019 11:03 AM

I agree with everything you wrote except for the part about Hillary. It doesn't matter how many investigations, old or new, are brought up involving either of the Clintons, nothing will ever be proven or punished. They are free to roam wherever their dishonesty will take them.

• Sharon Faulkner

12/10/2019 10:43 AM

Michelle Obama is not "respected" or even liked by anybody and her "book" did not "sell out" anywhere. And she is not going to run because she won't want to answer all the nasty questions about her corrupt traitor hubby.
    Trump landslide. Count on it.

December 10, 2019

Michelle Obama among People magazine’s ‘People of the Year’

• Dianne Roberts

12/10/2019 11:28 AM

• Robbie Mize

12/10/2019 11:22 AM

• Rhonda Fulghum

12/10/2019 11:03 AM

• Sharon Faulkner

12/10/2019 10:43 AM

Trump landslide. Count on it.