Trust the Lord and tell the people

May 3, 2020 |

Welcome to the Huckabee Show coming to you from all over the country instead of from our theater in Nashville. But this won’t last forever—and in the meantime, we’re making the best of it including inviting you to our Virtual Theater by getting Virtual Tickets so you can “Meet Me at the Couch.” Each week those with virtual tickets are put in random drawing for some cool swag from our show. Register for your virtual tickets at huckabee.tv

How’s the social distancing thing going? Don’t you sometimes just want to get in your car, go somewhere—anywhere—and just go up and hug someone; even a total stranger? For those of us who haven’t left our homes in 7 weeks, we are rapidly approaching the fight or flight moment. And in many states, things are starting to open up, albeit in spurts and small steps.

One thing we know—the models and predictions for how bad it was going to be were all wrong. For those who had an acute case of Wuhan Virus, it was awful. For those who’ve had a family member die from it, there are no words adequate to offer condolences and compassion. But I hope we feel the same way when an acquaintance dies of cancer or heart disease or from an accident. But we were told there would be up to 2 million in the US who would die, our hospitals would be overrun and suffer a serious shortage of equipment, and the impact of the virus would be unlike anything the world had ever seen. We followed the public health experts and didn’t just stop shaking hands-we stopped life. Schools closed for the year, all public events including NCAA March Madness, Major League Baseball, and the NBA shut down. Theaters and restaurants closed. Malls shuttered. Disney World and other theme parks went silent. Beaches closed. And even on Easter Sunday, churches closed. Some government officials went overboard, prohibiting fishing or planting gardens. Without haircuts we’ve accepted looking shabby. Offices reverted to online meetings while their office buildings are closed and everything is now down on Zoom or Skype. And with that, some people didn’t wear pants or forgot to close doors and may have revealed more their point of view to fellow office workers.

But as we start to re-open the world, I hope we will realize a big take-a-way from all this is to never again let government strip us our all our liberties and our common sense in the name of “protecting us.” When I was Governor of Arkansas, we often repeated a mantra in our office that said, “Trust the Lord and tell the people.” We were actually serious about it. It meant that we needed to remember we weren’t the highest authority in the lives of our people—God was. And that our job was to be honest with the people and tell them the truth, but realize they would have to ultimately choose what to do with the truth.

Life is filled with risks. We take them every day. We ultimately calculate the risks vs. the rewards and act accordingly. I can with 100% assurance guarantee to not have a car wreck if I don’t get in a car. There is no possibility I can fall off a ladder if I don’t get on one. I can’t be killed in a plane crash if I never board a plane. There are some risks I can eliminate. Others, I can mitigate—like wearing a mask or gloves, practicing social distancing, and sanitizing my hands. But I have to decide if the risk of a disease I might catch is a chance I have to take because the certainly of not being able to feed my family or pay my bills is one I do face by staying holed up in my house.

It’s not the government’s decision; it’s mine. And honestly, some people will violate whatever the rules are. Some people exceed the speed limit; others smoke, drink alcohol excessively, skydive, or climb mountains. They decide that the inherent risks are worth whatever rewards they feel. But in a free society, we allow people to make decisions and do things that scare the hair off our arms. And sometimes, people who take all the precautions imaginable still get hit by a falling limb, are diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer, or get food poisoning from their Grandma’s pork chop. Be careful, but not fearful. Most of all, accept responsibility for your own life. Government isn’t God. It’s not family. It’s not even a very good friend sometimes.

• Hal Harper

05/03/2020 09:15 PM

My wife and I live in a Stay-in-your-home state. We go food shopping together in multiple food stores, shopping for lawn and garden supplies in multiple stores including Home Depot. We visit our Daughter and Grandchildren and have had dinner with her family, including her Daughter's family, and another Daughter and her husband. We wore masks in the stores, but not in any homes we've been in. We're both in our seventies, and both feel this is a contrived pandemic with symptoms and results very similar to the flu. We're both up to date on our flu shots.

• Tony Weaver

05/03/2020 09:13 PM

Just read again the first amendment to the constitution
    At first it appeared freedom of religion had been removed
    But as I looked more closely,
    It seems someone added that freedom of religion is only at the permission of the governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp

Now really, the first amendment applies whether there is a pandemic or not
    A good lawyer should have a field day with this

• Jane S Huckabee

05/03/2020 09:10 PM

Truth and honesty are in today's world sometimes difficult to find. Enjoyed this read.

• Steven Shuey

05/03/2020 08:55 PM

Thank you. Great comment. I am very surprised that our various government agencies are reacting like they are. I am responsible for my health, not the government or anyone else.

In communities managed by a homeowners association (HOA), our local agencies (city/county) have mandated that if the pools are open, they are restricted to 1 person per pool at a time and all poolside furniture is to be rendered unusable by stacking it and chaining it (locking it down). Who does the government think is going to monitor the pool to make sure usage follows the guidelines. The board of directors is not a policing agency! City code enforcement agencies are saying they will issue heavy fines to the HOA and the individual for non-compliance to the ordinance. Who is going to pay the bill for expenses necessary to follow the guidelines?

You and our president are correct, we need to open everything back up and expect that the individuals will take responsibility for their own health.

By the way, there should be a law passed preventing law suits as a result of someone claiming they got sick because the restaurant or gym or recreation area (or whatever, grocery store, fill in the blank) was not maintained to their satisfaction, preventing others from contracting the virus.

This situation should be an "eye opener" reminding everyone to take responsibility for their own health, how ever they choose to do that.

• Ernesto Perfurio Eamoz PhD

05/03/2020 08:27 PM

Many states no longer stop people amd turn them BACK but ask a multitude of questions. Certainly California asks MORE than "Any fruits or vegetables?? At least Florida has REASONABLE precautions like social distancing when at the BEACH instead of NO BEACH which is ridiculous. Nobody is going to get long C-word from BEACH AIR that has DEAD VIRUS from 30 seconds of SUNSHINE. We wear MASKS to Walmart and Sam's Clubs and Sam's Club is ALLOWING TWO at a time WHEN TWO leave. Dollar Stores cave come and go freely WITHOUT the mask if you forget the thing. Saw one OLD MAN with a mask that "sported" EYEBALL protection. SAW NO coughing, sneezing or SPITTING OF TOBACCO or SNUFF at any time!!! And NOBODY is SWALLOWING "TOBACCO JUICE"!!!!! Haha! The local ROAD REPAIR decided to "DO TO THE ROAD" and left all the left and RIGHT turn lands UNPAVED and NOW the CORNERS "SPORT" the 3 inch model height!!! That is when there is a corner of CONCRETE at all...

• John Woodrow King

05/03/2020 08:01 PM

You spoke of never letting the government take our rights ever again.
    How do you think we can do that?

• Jerry Korba

05/03/2020 07:57 PM

Trust the Lord; maybe sometimes I may not get the reasons for why stuff happens. Life became a bit easier to go with the flow, somewhere down the line maybe the reason will appear, as to why the Lord did it this away. People that live life thru the 10 Commandments most of them are good people. Commandments are easy for me I do have trouble with one or two Love thy neighbor as myself the Lord put Nanci Pelosi in charge and she put Adam Schiff in Charge you get the picture, my only way from paying the big fine from the Lord I use the Devil has his people and the Lord has His people so the game goes on I try not to be like the Devil the Lord says denounce the Devil thats why I oppose Pelosi and her mob I don't approve of what they do but Hating them only lets them win because if I hate they got me to their side, hate and the Devil been there I won't go back. Problem I don't love them I do my best to keep from hating them all I can do is expose them. No need to bear false witness against them they do it themselves the rest of the Commandments piece of cake I can deal with them. However Lord don't let my Guardian Angel float too far away I have kept it busy in the past.

• Daniel H. Guyette

05/03/2020 06:50 PM

You are correct ofcourse, saying basically that if we live in a bubble, we might live longer. Or the bubble could pop. No guarantees in life for sure. Government can guide us by giving us the facts, let us decide what is best for us. Problem is, some will do as they please. The drunk driver who loses control, hits a child playing in the yard. There is no one size fits all cure. I wonder how many people have died since March 1 of the "regular flu" as opposed to Covid. I also wonder how long before barber shops open up. I am looking like Bernie.
    Life goes on for most, hearts and prayers to those who have lost loved ones. This town lost one who worked as a custodian in local hospital.
    It really disgusted me to see bodies in trucks and mass graves. I can't even put my feelings into words on that.
    Oh, and on non-essential employees, appears to me most of those work for us in Washington, the ones who remain on vacation. A much more essential person would be the greeters at Walmart.
    God Bless you, family and crew, and of course, America

• Jack Schwarz

05/03/2020 06:49 PM

Thank you Governor. Yes! Yes! and Yes! You have it right. Government is not always right. In fact, it is often more wrong than right. The reason is that those who govern very often forget that they are to represent us, the real government. It's We the People!

• Warren B Howe

05/03/2020 06:37 PM

Governor, you put into succinct words what is in the hearts and minds of probably the majority of Americans. Government, no matter how much it is advertised as benevolent and "in our best interest," always devolves toward tyranny if given the opportunity, and we've seen a good demonstration of that in the case of this virus threat. We must NEVER allow such a thing to happen again.

• Terry S. Leet

05/03/2020 05:42 PM

Mike, I for one have found your site very informative and to the point but also uplifting and inspiring at the same time. I felt as if I had a friend visiting with me every day and checking on me. I have been out of the house due to dr appts and occasionally grocery runs. This morning we actually had church at our church with social distancing and wearing masks for safety. But how good it was to see the faces of our church family and get to visit some and enjoy God's message. Keep us your good work - I look forward to your site every day and the verse that you choose to share with us from God's Word. Yours in Christ Terry Leet

• Kathy Ferguson

05/03/2020 05:42 PM

Spot on!

• Debbie Adams

05/03/2020 05:21 PM

The County should have never been shut down just another way for the left nut jobs to get President Trump out in November not going to happen I am a Trump supporter and will vote for him.

• Alan Conner

05/03/2020 05:11 PM

Thank you Governor for being a strong voice that is reasonable and people listen to.
    Sharing a video we took this past weekend as we are working to put pressure on Kate Brown our Governor in Oregon to reopen Oregon.

Sending you a video link that we took in case you want to see what the real turn out was and not what our local media chose to report.
    Just another reason we that have photo and video skills need to do our own reporting on events.

This rally was sponsored by Women For Trump 2020
    We are also PCP's from Multnomah Country Republican Party and I am a 1st Alt Delegate to ORP State Central Committee from Multnomah County.

Check out video we shot while driving in front of our Oregon State Capital.
    Open Oregon Rally 5.2.20

God Bless,
    Alan and Lisa Conner
    Gresham, OR. 97080

• Linda Hebert

05/03/2020 05:07 PM

God Bless you Governor Huckabee! Least we forget why the so called "Legislators" are in the business of "Lock Down, "for the sake of America's health," the citizens in Las Vegas, NV just received their "Notice of All-Mail Ballot Election" for the June 9, 2020 Primary Election! Yes, courtesy of Gov. Steve Sisolak, fronted through the "Harry Reid Consortium," accompanied by Catherine Cortez-Masteos, Jackie Rosen, and Dina Titus, who are totally useless senators and congresswomen. The closer AG William Barr gets to the source of Spygate, the more emboldened they become to obliterate the U.S. Constitution! This is 2008 revisited and we have come full circle! Nevada as you may remember was the "Un-employment Capital" of the U.S. the casino's were dark, and guess who the casino moguls entreated to fill their gambling coffers? That's right, China and international gaming! They even built three casinos in China, a matter of local convenience for the international elite. Once again, unemployment is at 6.4% in Nevada and Reid is full board with his Chinese cohorts in California, Pelosi, Feinstein, Schiff, & Newsome. Sisolak has no excuse, he is just plain stupid! Thanks for listening and providing a "national" platform to expose socialism where ever it exists! God Bless you and all who "Trust the Truth and Tell the People!

• Alfred S, Cordon

05/03/2020 05:07 PM

I agree with everything that you said. I havn't worn a mask, and I don't plan to.
    This is Virus which has been literally Scared by the Media and the Democrat's because they now think that they can finally Ruin TRUMP so the can stop him from being Re-Elected?? And there is no way that Biden will be our next President. But The Economy will almost be destroyed - If we don't go back to work. It is almost forgotten - that we have to go to work to pay our Bill's and provide food and shelter for our Families. These Democrat Mayor's and Governers - who think they have the authority to Go Against our Constitution.
    So. . .I agree we need to all Pray that this Mess will Stop and End this Terrible Nightmare.

• George Murrey

05/03/2020 04:59 PM

Mike what you have stated is spot on. Now a little of history of the Greatest Generation. After my father came home at the end of WWII , he grew is own victory garden. I can bet that half, if not more to the younger generation, doesn't have clue what they were. I, and many like others, aka "ok boomer," have taken on that tradition of growing own fresh veggies. But now, the over the top governors have taken upon themselves to ensure nobody can get supplies at Walmart, or even the Home Depot, saying they are non essential items. I wonder if those same governors have a garden and tended by.....ready for the shock?.....a gardener. It's only good for the goose if you're in a high position, but the gander suffers. But what I am glad to know people have to finally realized that enough is enough. Some are opening shops, people going out to the beach and walking in parks. People need to get out for fresh air and that all important vitamin D. We the people are tired of the oppressive gov't taking over our lives.
    Stay strong, and I'll looking forward to seeing on Fox News, your daily inspirational devotion, your wonderful tv show on Saturday nights, and daily emails.
    Take care and God bless.

• KeoniBoy

05/03/2020 04:55 PM

Even from the perspective of a medical layperson, it's becoming ever more apparent that, in the case of this health situation, the "cure" is proving ever more toxic than the disease is, or ever really was.

• Catherine Zeien

05/03/2020 04:45 PM

I noticed since this "pandemic" started, there's been no mention of Hunter Biden. Very interesting how this subject has just disappeared.

• Tim Zahn

05/03/2020 04:33 PM

Well said !!!

• Phillip Saville

05/03/2020 04:29 PM

Trillions of paper dollars will bankrupt our country
    Another great depression is possible. I hope we can recover from this financial and medical disaster.

• Greta Lorworth Hofmeister

05/03/2020 04:16 PM

Thank you for always being spot on!!! It is time to develop a back bone when the government over reaches its authority!!!!

• Linda Olds

05/03/2020 04:14 PM

As soon as people get restless and want to get back to work, as soon as things even begin to open up, the Dems ramp up their talk about caution and saving lives, and the media ramp up their examples of overwhelmed medical workers and patients at death's door.
    We need to stop watching covid19 news and get back to normal lives.

• Patricia Baker

05/03/2020 04:01 PM

I feel that the government should have never been shut down. President Trump was given the wrong information to lead him to shut down the country. This was nothing but a sit up by Soros, Bill Gates and Fauci. The communist dems could not get President Trump and the economy was really doing good and they hated that so they worked with the Chinese to get this virus spread and cause our country to be shut down. These people are evil and will do anything to get control and take over the country. I don't know why the DOJ is not investigating Soros, as he has been the leader and paying for all the things that are happening. It's time that justice is due on these people.

• Edward Engle

05/03/2020 03:35 PM

You wake up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor. Unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected. For the last two weeks, you’ve ignored "the rules," gotten together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited some parks and beaches. You figured, “I don’t feel sick," and "I have the right to keep living my normal life!"
    With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you.

But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure.
    Now, he’s dead.

Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.

The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who is being treated for MS, which makes her immuno-suppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.

All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while.

Trust the Lord and tell the people

• Steven Shuey

05/03/2020 08:55 PM

• Ernesto Perfurio Eamoz PhD

05/03/2020 08:27 PM

• John Woodrow King

05/03/2020 08:01 PM

You spoke of never letting the government take our rights ever again.
    How do you think we can do that?

• Jerry Korba

Spot on!

• Debbie Adams

05/03/2020 05:21 PM

• Alan Conner

05/03/2020 05:11 PM

This rally was sponsored by Women For Trump 2020

Check out video we shot while driving in front of our Oregon State Capital.
    Open Oregon Rally 5.2.20

05/03/2020 04:29 PM

Trillions of paper dollars will bankrupt our country

• Greta Lorworth Hofmeister

05/03/2020 04:16 PM

• Linda Olds

05/03/2020 04:14 PM

We need to stop watching covid19 news and get back to normal lives.

• Patricia Baker

• Steven Shuey

05/03/2020 08:55 PM

• Ernesto Perfurio Eamoz PhD

05/03/2020 08:27 PM

• John Woodrow King

05/03/2020 08:01 PM

You spoke of never letting the government take our rights ever again.
    How do you think we can do that?

• Jerry Korba

Spot on!

• Debbie Adams

05/03/2020 05:21 PM

• Alan Conner

05/03/2020 05:11 PM

This rally was sponsored by Women For Trump 2020

Check out video we shot while driving in front of our Oregon State Capital.
    Open Oregon Rally 5.2.20

05/03/2020 04:29 PM

Trillions of paper dollars will bankrupt our country

• Greta Lorworth Hofmeister

05/03/2020 04:16 PM

• Linda Olds

05/03/2020 04:14 PM

We need to stop watching covid19 news and get back to normal lives.

• Patricia Baker