April 2, 2020

I wrote yesterday about the frustration of hearing scientists in charge of the COVID-19 response call incessantly for DATA, no matter how long it takes to get it. Well, Americans sitting at home with no work for the foreseeable future want data, too –- but a lot sooner.

For example, we want to know the real infection rates, recovery rates and “negative outcome” rates. (Everybody knows what doctors mean when they employ the euphemism “negative outcome.”) We need these to assess how necessary it is for us to grind the U.S. economy to a halt for months and possibly create global economic collapse, with all the disaster and hopelessness that would bring.

For many, the seriousness of this –- the full impact –- is just now really starting to hit. We hear it in President Trump’s voice, now that he’s had to extend the stay-at-home guidelines. The kids want to go outside and visit friends. People worry if they’ll have jobs to go back to. The rent was due on the 1st. Speaking of that, one way we know it’s bad is because April Fool’s Day came and went with precious few April Fool’s jokes.

Anyway, right now it’s impossible to know what the reality is, because we have no idea how many have been infected. That means “experts” are flying blind, too. An undetermined number of those who pick up the virus are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms that mimic some little respiratory thing and they don’t even get tested. That’s why estimates and predictions have been all over the map. Fancy charts and graphs mean NOTHING. You know how it is with computer models (including those for predicting “climate change”): garbage in, garbage out. Any infection rate we plug into these models is guesswork. Garbage.

The way to get more people back to living their lives is to let them have the blood test for COVID-19 antibodies. That’s especially true, of course, for healthcare workers, who could benefit incredibly from knowing they have immunity. As of last week, an antibody test considered reliable by researchers has become available. But, as Laura Ingraham pointed out on her Wednesday FOX NEWS show, Dr. Anthony Fauci has said that antibodies testing is not a priority right now. It will be important, “ultimately,” to “get a feel” for how far the virus penetrated society, to have an idea of “the herd immunity,” but that this is not their “immediate problem.”

Say what? I’m sorry, but that makes no sense. We need data on this NOW. Dr. Birx gets the importance of this test, at least for health care workers. She’s calling on universities to help and says they’ll be ready by this Friday. She says the test is fast and easy --- fantastic news for health care workers and all those on the front lines, but we also need this done on a larger scale to get the true picture of what this virus does. If the infection rate turns out to be a lot higher than we thought, then the “bad outcome” rate is far smaller than current guesses suggest.

On a positive note, six pharmaceutical companies, including Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer, are working on a vaccine. The company Moderna has already started human testing. Even big tobacco has joined the effort, with Lucky Strike saying they can quickly grow tobacco containing antigens to the virus. That is incredible. Still, the vaccine is a long-term answer; even an optimistic estimate for this to be ready is 12-18 months.

The President wants us all to be able SOON to go back to work and get back to normal. The old normal, the good normal. But be warned: there are many who aren’t focused so much on that. Researchers want their data. Doctors want a high percentage of “good outcomes.” China wants us weak. And leftist politicians in our own country want a “new normal” of limitless spending and control over our lives, forever and ever amen. If we’re not vigilant, the threat of contagion could easily become a permanent excuse for tracking us all with GPS, monitoring social activities and confiscating guns. Fun times.

Oh, and now Adam Schiff wants to investigate President Trump’s response to the pandemic.

But let's get back to talking about the legitimate, worthwhile pursuit of data. Here’s the biggest one of all: We sitting at home desperately want to see data on the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine, both as a protective measure and, in combination with azithromycin and zinc, as a treatment for respiratory symptoms. I don’t mean the large controlled studies that take months or years, because we don’t have that kind of time, but smaller studies that reinforce the “anecdotal” reports we’ve been getting. Some doctors now are routinely treating coronavirus patients with the combination hydroxychloroquine therapy, though they have to monitor closely for possible adverse cardiological effects. (Note: this is why I advised against using “pop-up tents” outside hospitals to hand out mass quantities of the drugs.) In fact, eminent infectious disease specialist Dr. Stephen Smith reports that of all his patients, no one receiving at least five days of the drug therapy has had to go on a ventilator. This supports the results of that early French study that some “experts” were dismissing. The odds of these results happening by chance are, in effect, zero.

He called this “a game-changer.” In fact, he told Laura Ingraham, “I think this is the beginning of the end. Of the pandemic. I’m very serious.

Here’s another preliminary report of a different treatment that also looks very promising.

If that weren’t enough, here’s another piece of useful data: The more patients they treat, the more doctors are seeing that the ones far more likely to experience “negative outcomes” are those who are overweight or obese and/or diabetic or pre-diabetic. Sure, the gyms are closed for now, but I can’t think of a better reason to start some kind of diet and fitness program at home. Step it up when the gyms re-open. And toss away the cigarettes for good! Save the tobacco for antigen-growing.

Finally, again, we want data from China. And China is actually giving us some, in spite of its leaders’ efforts to keep the lid on. I’ve been commenting this week on the possibility that the COVID-19 virus originated not in the Wuhan live animal market but inside a nearby biotech lab. That’s not just speculation: scientists from the South China University of Technology have put together a compelling case that one of two labs in Wuhan Province researching coronavirus in the “intermediate Horseshoe Bat” is the likely source of the contagion.

Their paper has been online for two months but our media have virtually ignored it. (That Australian 60 MINUTES report I linked to yesterday talks about it.) Tucker Carlson and a few others have reported on it. But the director of the National Institutes of Health has, inadvertently or not, run interference for the Chinese government by dismissing the idea as “outrageous.” No, it isn’t.

Maria Bartiromo brought up the subject, with Ted Cruz.

And Jim Treacher at PJ Media has an excellent commentary on this.

• Ruby Howell

04/02/2020 09:04 PM

Schiff needs to take care of the people that elected him. This going after President Trump is getting rediculas! I pray that Schiff does not get elected again to this office again. Same with all the Democrats that have waisted time & tax payer dollars. I think President Trump is doing an excellent job dealing with this virus. Thank you Mr. President.

• larry way

04/02/2020 08:55 PM

we see lots of info about testing and how many negatives there are, but nobody points out that negative today will not be positive tomorrow. so how often should re-testing be done? especially in "hot bed" areas.

• NUNZIO L. INNUCCI SR.

04/02/2020 08:51 PM

Brother Mike,
    You are doing such a GREAT job with your reporting.
    God bless you in Jesus name.
    Nunzio

• Linda Raye Burkett

04/02/2020 07:37 PM

Thank you so much Mike for your awesome updates, with truth I can trust. I enjoy your show so much. Thankful for you.
    God bless you and your family.

• Barry Ligus

04/02/2020 07:32 PM

The sooner everyone wakes up to the reality that China has no intention of joining the community of nations the better. Their goal is world domination, or at least subjugation.
    COVID-19 is just the latest "present" from China. SARS, baby formula contamination, dog food contamination, faulty sheetrock, currency manipulation, IPR violations, espionage, hacking, and pathological lying are indicative of a regime that does not deserve any respect.
    The sooner everyone distances themselves from these societal parasites the better we will be. Paying more for goods and services is a small price to pay for future security of our nation.

• Carol Huse

04/02/2020 07:16 PM

Thank you for your column, the Bible verses daily, your honesty and your commitment to God.
    Please scream for the data. We are all blindly accepting these draconian predictions by Dr Fauci - we see no data they are using for their models. These models are only as good as the data going into them. You are right, we need the number of those with antibodies which need to go into the models to get right output.
    Please ask Pres Trump or VP Pence to take back the narrative from Dr Fauci and to take back control of national decisions.
    No one I know even listens to these news briefs any longer. They are draconian (Dr Fauci) or they are boxing matches between Pres Trump and the media or governors or mayors.
    Right now, our leaders are letting our country be taken away.
    HELP US ALL

• Cyn Sampson

04/02/2020 07:04 PM

Our freedoms are gone , retirements destroyed, income gone, even the ability to use my gym, community pool, tennis courts, etc!!! This is unAmerican and not necessary!!!! (of course those with compromised health issues should be isolated/protected.... but the rest of us when those with uncompromised health survive like the regular flu? Bull Crap!

• Barb Raines

04/02/2020 06:59 PM

Please help get America Opened back up again. I am a small business owner and my fitness center in a small rural town has been shut by our Governor. I was following all the rules and had 100% control. Hardly anyone was visiting but for my business that was working great, as long as it's the customers choosing to not visit I don't have to refund their payments for the month. Now that the Governor has deemed me unessential I am in a position of refunds, cancelling future receivables and since the order came down I have had a huge number of cancellations even though I plan to reopen. All the consumer needs to hear is "CLOSED" and in my business that certainly means for good, if the membership runoff continues at the current rate I won't be back in business. It is so frustrating to have liquor stores, pot stores, garden centers and the like all get to stay open when we small fitness in small rural towns were not even given an opportunity to meet the criteria and succeed. Please we need to open up America - lets put all that stimulus money to build more military hospitals and take care of the sick while the rest of us practice social distancing and work with guidelines - WE CAN DO IT without killing our country.

• Lynda Mcc

04/02/2020 06:57 PM

I saw a headline today about a plane full of N95 masks coming to the United States from China. I certainly hope some really smart scientists are doing thorough testing of those masks before allowing them in the hands of our much-needed and thinly stretched health care providers! After all, what better way for China to completely destroy America than to implant those masks with yet another virus (one that can lay dormant until inhaled) to attack our doctors, nurses, EMTs, etc. when they are working desperately to save others!

• Sheila McAdams

04/02/2020 06:48 PM

Concerning blood tests for antibodies, I agree with you that this is important for Now. Our healthcare providers deserve it. Br. Birx gets it, as well. Bro. Mike ( no disrespect intended. I call you that because you are my Brother in the Lord ) Thank you for your conservative remarks on the Fox news shows. We are only getting the truth on a few stations. I enjoy watching your shows and listen to you as I watch evening programming on Fox . One last thing. I am appalled that the Dems and especially Schiff and Pelosi are already making plans to try and go after the President over the response to the coronavirus outbreak. I personally think that he has and is doing a great job. Could we have done better.? Probably so, but we need to call a spade a spade. China withheld information to the world. They also have not been telling the truth. Now is not the time to play the blame game. We need to stand United and pray for our leaders, and all who are making decisions to handle this crisis. Prayers for all those affected by this deadly adversary. May we turn back to God. Than you again.

• Roh Hooper

04/02/2020 06:39 PM

Mike, I just looked up statistics from the 2018-2019 Flu Season. That might interest you.
    The 2018-2019 US flu season was the longest in 10 years according to the CDC
    42.9 million people got sick
    647,000 were hospitalized
    61,200 died
    You can draw your own conclusions in comparing these to the COVID19 Viris so far

• Susan Ferrell

04/02/2020 06:26 PM

I appreciate all of the work you are doing collecting this information. You are right that the media isn't telling us anything good. They interview some survivors but not many.

• George Scott

04/02/2020 06:23 PM

Pray for the end of our American holocaust (abortion). Pray for the end of the LGBTQ agenda in America. Pray that we get on our knees and seek the Lord.

• Robin Rebhan

04/02/2020 06:20 PM

We are approaching the season of the first " The First Quarantine " In Egypt, God imposed a one night quarantine, we call it Passover.
    It's a good time to tell our children the story of Passover. And may they tell their children's children the story.

• Michael

04/02/2020 05:59 PM

The MSM in our country make me beyond disgusted. They won't report the truth about China and actually help the lies and cover-up. The WHO, Worthless Health Organization is just as bad as our MSM. What does our worthless MSM tell the truth about? NOTHING!! I don't know about the rest of the country, but the local news affiliates in the Omaha, NE starting three days ago will not show the complete special briefings of the WH. They (NBC, ABC, and CBS) will cut away denying the American people cannot receive the complete information provided by President Trump and his team. Governor Huckabee, can anything be done to our MSM and their intentional choice to not sure President Trump's COVID-19 special briefings? Absolutely appauling that our MSM in partnership with the Democrats can lie or intentionally withhold vital information and facts from the American people, who are hurting financially and are experiencing fear! Remember America what the Democrats and the MSM have done during this pandemic when our November national election takes place- reject and evict the Democrats and the MSM- traitors and enemies of We the People!!!!

• Ruth Tiedemann

04/02/2020 05:49 PM

Although President Trump has done the best job possible this entire experience looks to me like the best argument against government health care!

• Nancy Wilson

04/02/2020 05:21 PM

Dear Mike, thank you so very much for your newsletter. I know I can trust you to tell the truth!! Thank you for that. I have this ugly thought that China started this vurus on purpose to try and ruin the economy in the U.S. they have no concerns for their own people, so if some of them died first, they didn't care. What do you think? I can't get it out of my mind.

• Donna Cornell

04/02/2020 05:13 PM

This IS all going to be sorted out, I am assured of God, I have no doubt just as you and so many other 'God' trusting Christians do! We WILL get through this to the 'other side'!
    Thank you and to ALL who are 'serving', really 'serving' the public in these times of such anxt for many, although with God and his 34000 Promises from Genesis to Revelation, if only they were 'in the Word' and 'with the Word (Jesus! John 1:1 & 14!)' oh how this would not be so troubling for them.
    Still, it simply exasperates me that the Hospitals and those in charge are not utilizing the valuable Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate that WOULD ELIMINATE UNNECESSARY DEATHS THAT WILL TAKE PLACE BECAUSE OF 'HESITATION'....TOO BAD....reminds me of the person on the roof and 'three separate saves' came his way and he missed all 3 opportunities for 'his waiting for just the right one' (NOT thinking 'outside the box'!) when 'right in front of him' was his 'rescue'....well, I am certain the Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate IS one of those 'life-boats' that are NOT being used at the expense of many lives.....don't need any opinion on that, I know what God has shown me, sorry for the world and the 'ego's' of many 'getting in the way' in the 'medical field'....it is grievous!

• Ed Gehringer

04/02/2020 05:12 PM

This is not a tough time for *everybody*. In our family, no one's job has been affected financially (we are teaching online instead of in person), and the kids are home from college, saving us thousands of dollars in room and board. It's a great time to focus on helping each other and building family bonds. We, and other people in the same position as us, can help out our fellow citizens by donating our government check to charities like Samaritan's Purse and relief funds set up to assist people in industries hit hard by the shutdown. I encourage all Christians--indeed all Americans--to help our fellow citizens in this time of difficulty. Be thinking about what you can do to assist your neighbors. May the church step up now, as it has in so many crises in the past, to show the love of Christ to the world!

• Terry Nixon

04/02/2020 05:02 PM

Mike,
    As usual this was very well-said by you! We (the masses as well as all the so-called experts) really have few answers. We truly do have to take this one day at a time, and keep our faith that it too will pass at some point.

• Bill Taylor

04/02/2020 04:39 PM

1) You commented that Tucker Carlson said, “ ... why (do) we still have a “demented policy” of importing foreign workers to take American jobs.” While I might agree with this from an economic point of view, I don’t see a direct tie to the spread of the Coronavirus. 2) with regard to China’s role in the American economy; let’s remember that it was that ‘arch liberal’ Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger who opened that door to China 3) while I don’t support ‘open borders’, I don’t think Mexico is the real problem right now. It’s China and we’ve got a great big ‘moat’ between us and China. China appears to the source of the virus, the originating source of dangerous illegal opioid drugs and a thief of our intellectual property. I think the ‘right’ and ‘left’ can agree on these. Right?

• Ted Hoberg

04/02/2020 04:30 PM

We are the sleeping giant that has been placed into a false information coma. I believe things are in for drastic changes when the giant wakes up. Soon I hope.

• Roger Dexter

04/02/2020 04:29 PM

I am so tired of the Main Stream Media and the Democrats turning everything into a criticism of President Trump, ... and filling the relief bill with Pork. Come on Man, it's enough to cause our founding fathers to turn away from what we have become. I wish I could do something to shut them up.

• Brian Sherman

04/02/2020 04:21 PM

Mike, please know that the most common test being used to diagnose COVID-19 is the PCR (polymerase chain reaction). It's accuracy is 60-70%. That means out of 10 people tested, 3-4 patients who actually have COVID-19 will be told that their test is negative when in fact they do have this virus. This pertains to something called the SENSITIVITY of the test. The SPECIFICITY must be high as well. A test that has a specificity of 90% means you can count on a positive result 90% of the time. Every new test that's coming out must be 1), accurate enough with very high (>90%) sensitivity and > 90% specificity; (2), there must be more than enough tests available for whomever wants to be tested---not those just admitted to the hospitals, because if one discovers that you have COVID-19 from the test you decide to take while in the community, I would predict that one is more likely to accept a self-quarantine and get medical help and hopefully, not infect others; (3) give quick results in 15-45 minutes. In fact, the public should know before they even decide to take that test just how accurate that particular test is because a false negative may cost some people their lives and spread this disease to others. I find that completely unacceptable. And it must change for the better immediately to help save lives---there's no time to lose here. Also, a negative result, even with a good test may still mean that you have the virus so careful monitoring and repeat testing will be indicated in as little as 24 hours if necessary.

As you may know, there are three generic pharmacuetical manufacturers that must make the hydroxychloroquine and zithromycin widely available. Yes, heart issues may be an issue for heart patients and even those without the heart issues. Prescribers and patients have to weight the benefits versus the risks and let the patient sign an informed consent to receive these two drugs and then get these drugs dispensed. Pronto! Either in the prescribers office (like some urgent cares may do), or at a local pharmacy of the patient's choice. The prescriber would look for contraindications, allergies, and drug interactions of course before prescribing. But I agree with you, we have enough anecdotal reports to take the efficacy of these two meds to treat COVID-19 beyond the realm of just chance in that patients are recovering from COVID-19 on them.

I hope that you have The President's ear.

• Forrest Plummer

04/02/2020 04:13 PM

I'm 84 YEARS OLD AND NOT peranoid (can't spell either) The virus will be of minimal effect if the economy collapes . No supply chain. New York city statistics --Only have food for 3 days and now it
    could be worse. When the problem starts and anarchy starts, they will have to decide who shoot.
    When it starts, there will not be anything to fight for. except survival.

April 2, 2020

Maria Bartiromo brought up the subject, with Ted Cruz.

And Jim Treacher at PJ Media has an excellent commentary on this.

• Ruby Howell

04/02/2020 09:04 PM

• larry way

04/02/2020 08:55 PM

• NUNZIO L. INNUCCI SR.

04/02/2020 08:51 PM

Brother Mike,
    You are doing such a GREAT job with your reporting.
    God bless you in Jesus name.
    Nunzio

• Linda Raye Burkett

04/02/2020 07:37 PM

God bless you and your family.

• Barry Ligus

04/02/2020 07:32 PM

• Carol Huse

04/02/2020 07:16 PM

Right now, our leaders are letting our country be taken away.
    HELP US ALL

• Ted Hoberg

04/02/2020 04:30 PM

• Roger Dexter

04/02/2020 04:29 PM

• Brian Sherman

04/02/2020 04:21 PM

I hope that you have The President's ear.

• Forrest Plummer

04/02/2020 04:13 PM

When it starts, there will not be anything to fight for. except survival.