April 5, 2020

Welcome to our 3rd Coronavirus Edition of the Huckabee Show, where we practice safe social distancing by keeping our theater empty and our minimal crew and team safely separated. I’m operating from my remote studio 460 miles from our theater. Like you, we are all ready to be back to normal, if there will ever be such a thing, but we also take the virus seriously and you should too. I’ve had friends and acquaintances who have been infected, and know personally a few people who have died from it. Those who scoff at the seriousness need to think about this-do you really think the NBA, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, the NCAA, the Masters and all other sports would shut down and lose billions of dollars if not for a real pandemic threat? Would entire nations impose absolute quarantines? Would major corporations close their doors? And would the President urge a virtual shutdown of our nation’s economy during an election year if this weren’t deadly serious?

I know there are some conspiracy theorists who say the scope of the danger is overblown, but few who say such things are public health experts. Perhaps we will find that there was an over-abundance of caution and some things could have been tempered, but in major cities, like NY, Chicago, LA, Detroit, New Orleans, Miami, and yes, Nashville, the cases have multiplied from both a densely populated area with lots of tourists coming in/out, but also because many people just didn’t take it seriously. Most churches in the nation have closed their on-campus services to conduct services online. A few kept open, but took extraordinary measures to try and protect the attenders.

One such church is The River at Tampa Bay Church. It required attendees to separate 6-10 feet from others, supplied hand sanitizer at every door for every attendee, spent $100,000 for a hospital quality air-flow system, and had every staff member wearing gloves. This week, Sheriff Chad Chronister of Hillsborough County, FL actually arrested Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne for having conducted church services. Think about that. A pastor was arrested for having a church service. He didn’t sneeze or cough on people. He didn’t deny the virus was real and in fact, took great precautions to maintain social distancing. But he was arrested and taken to jail for opening his church. No one was forced to attend. The attendees arrived on their own and one wonders why those who attended weren’t arrested? This case will set up a colossal legal battle as to whether the government at any level can tell a church, synagogue or mosque it cannot provide religious services to its members.

My own church is doing services online and not on any of its 5 campuses. Personally, I think that’s the prudent choice. If my church did have services at any of the locations, I’d opt to still be involved online just to protect myself and more importantly my family who is quarantined with me. But should the government actually arrest a pastor for having church? And if government can shut down a church now, when will some government decide that a church is dangerous because it believes what the government deems wrong. If a church who believes the Biblical pattern of marriage of one man/one woman is considered discriminatory, will the pastor be arrested? If a church believes that men and women should have separate restrooms and dressing rooms and gender-separate dorms and showers at youth camp, will the pastor be arrested and jailed for not following what the government deems right?

Mat Staver and our friends at Liberty Counsel are representing Pastor Browne and we will follow the case closely. But while I believe the risks to public safety and life are real from the coronavirus, I also believe that we cannot and must not sacrifice our 1st amendment guarantees of freedom of religion, free speech, and freedom to assemble. I urge you to protect your family during these times, but be equally vigilant that government doesn’t become a deadly virus to kill our liberties and turn us into a police state.

Third Party Talk

America Last

• John D

04/06/2020 01:34 PM

The pastor told them to shake hands with each other and said that no one was going to shut the church. Basically he was careless and risked the possible spread of the virus . Just google the video folks . He was really being arrogant .
    Mike you're usually right about everything but on this you're not . Every single one of us needs to be protected. The pastor blatantly disregarded the rules in a pandemic . The law is there to protect us and he disregarded that . I believe Christians in general see that he's committed an error . Is John MacArthur or any other Pastor holding church services?
    No . Why ?

• Derrick Heslep

04/06/2020 12:03 PM

Our church is much smaller and we have had services online, which I believe are the proper precaution during this time. I agree with you, however, I also believe that we should not sacrifice our God-given rights that are protected under the Constitution. When we begin to give up our rights to be a free society. We lose our heritage as Americans. I served my country to protect those rights and too many paid the ultimate sacrifice for us to just give up our rights. God Bless Bless America. May America repent and return to the God of her Founders. Our only hope is to is a revival across this Great Land.

• Judith Murphy

04/06/2020 11:36 AM

I am very concerned that our religious freedoms are being compromised. GOD may have certain Pastors and people set up to show the world his "GLORY"! Have any of those present at the service come down with the virus? Nothing has been reported about that!!

• Darla McCammon

04/06/2020 11:34 AM

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. Jesus tells us to obey our governing rules. This pastor had other choices and, as you said, more prudent choices that would allow the saving of lives by obeying Stay at Home rules, yet also providing the worship of our Lord and Savior by using on-line church services. I am sorry he chose to risk the lives of his flock. That is not the example we want the world to see. We also should ALWAYS be wary of losing our religious freedom.

• Allen Neighbors

04/06/2020 10:56 AM

People need to understand the Word. IN PROPER CONTEXT. We are to be obedient to the government only as long as the government is obedient to YAHWEH. Governments are instituted by YAHWEH, to do GOOD. When they fail YAHWEH, we are not to be obedient to them.
    Study to show yourselves approved to YAHWEH and to man. Don't listen to man - even me - STUDY the WORD for yourself, and pray for discernment.
    Follow the Spirit of YAHWEH, not man.
    A tyrannical government is not to be just blindly followed.

• Jacqueline L Thomas

04/06/2020 10:52 AM

Thank you for your input and beliefs, which I totally agree with. Pastor Brown was very diligent in taking every precaution possible, and no one was forced to attend. I, personally, believe scripture that says, we should not tempt the Lord our God, as well as following the laws of man as long as they don’t contradict the word of God. But I also believe we should be free to make the choice about keeping the church open. Grocery stores are open, even liquor stores are open in my state, and they aren’t nearly as cautious about the virus being spread as brother Rodney was. In fact I am certain that in some cases it is worsening the situation. But people are allowed to either shop online or go and shop in person. As they should be. I am concerned that it is a step toward the government controlling and eventually stopping our right to worship. At least No one will be able to stop us from praying.

• Saiaung M Teekham

04/06/2020 10:39 AM

Yes, thank you. "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. ..."(Galatians 5:1)
    As for my understanding according to our constitution, health issue is under the jurisdiction of individual state, as its exclusive power. However, such arrest is not right in my point of view.
    This mysterious COVID-19 must be wiped out from the earth. It's just for a period of time. I've been meditating on John 11:4, and trusting our Savior Lord Jesus to vindicate. It is important that we the people are courageous to face hardship and overcome fear and confusion. We will win. We do not worship what we don't know, nor are not afraid of the unknown. We trust and praise the Lord Jesus Christ (Messiah) only. Grace, peace and mercy from the Lord to you and us all.

• Allen Neighbors

04/06/2020 10:26 AM

Follow the Spirit of YAHWEH, not man.
    A tyrannical government is not to be just blindly followed.

• Deb Prickett

04/06/2020 10:18 AM

Gov Huckabee. I respect you and appreciate your messages on your show each week. I am disappointed that you seem to think that we should still go to church during this pandemic. I’m a believer in the strength of a church community and the blessing of had by gathering with fellow believers, but now is the time to stay away from larger groups no matter what you are assembling for. I hope that you will share that message going forward. Thank you for your prayers and I wish you safety and wellness.

• Helen Walker

04/06/2020 09:51 AM

I don’t think that arrests are the way to go. But, I also think God gave us a brain and we are under stay at home orders.

• Ruth Hart

04/06/2020 09:27 AM

I believe he was wrong and holding church considering everything that’s going on in this nation and all the people that have died because of this virus.This wasn’t about his right as a pastor to hunt church this was about obeying the laws of the landAnd stopping desk the money he spent could’ve been used in helping others that are in such need right now

• Carolynn Ingram

04/06/2020 08:57 AM

I believe the emphasis of this article is in the wrong place. If there is an order or law in place to not assemble then the pastor is going against what is legally established which the bible says we should abide by. If he feels this was an over reach of authority he should work within proper channels after the quarantine and try to change the laws/regulation allowed to be put in place in his city/town. Going rogue is not the answer nor do I believe it is what God is asking us to do. It is like saying "I don't need to go the speed limit because I believe I can handle going faster." But experts decided what speed to go taking in MANY factors when that decision was made. We can't have people simply deciding they know better and therefore going what ever speed they want.

• Ronald Bangert

04/06/2020 08:57 AM

Once this makes it through the courts, we'll discover all the facts. This story and others like it took place.

Our church is continuing all events through Zoom, Face Time, etc. while adhering to 'shelter in place'. We are creative. We have focused prayer for an hour, 2-3 times each day, spend time in the Word, allowing God to search out our hearts, being transparent, asking Him to purify our hearts for the sake of the Gospel. Revival requires 'all hands on deck.

In a Chicago suburb, our population has significant density, so to follow guidelines as they roll out are of little concern. We go to store and pharmacy as needed, take walks, wear masks when out.

As a nation with strong Christian Judeo beginnings, we embrace this time as a Sabbath Rest Sabbatical. An opportunity for those who claim to be His to take stock/ inventory, to stand an be counted when no one else can see what only God sees. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humility is our only perspective to recieve and discern the Truth.

So many talking heads out there! Unless we are well anchored in Jesus...."Today, as it was said so long ago, IF you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts, as those in the wilderness! For said in my wrath, you shall not enter my rest" So, we have Ine Head, even Christ. We are the Bride of Christ, also His Body. All things work for good, according to His purposes. God is still enthroned. It is a good time to consider His Son Jesus, whom Gid us well pleased, and through whom all things are created.

Hunkered in our Bunker!

• Joseph K Weydemann

04/06/2020 08:37 AM

He flaunted His beliefs and that is incorrect. You said no one sneezed or coughed. Did they sing loud and proud, then there you have it. Singing sprays it all out. 40 people say 4 are carriers those 36 are taking it home.
    There is no mandate in the Bible that requires church attendance. God said Where ever two of you are gathered, I am there.
    I was reading about a charlatan preacher he fixed some guys back and the pain was gone. He touched them gently then slapped him on the forehead knocking the man to the floor. Notice the preacher made him fall back. Fall back out of God's Grace. Healed fall forwards into God's Grace.

How come this preacher is not at hospitals curing COVID19? Why? Because he is faulty. His wiring is crossed up. But you get a church filled and singing Gods hymns and anyone is primed to be healed. But later probably the next morning he wakes up and his back is hurting again. Now the minister and church will blame the man for walking away from God, gutless spineless p-icks. Endorphins are magical a woman sees a car on top of someone and runs over and some how lifts that car and the person is safe. Endorphins made her that strong. I wish there was a drug for endorphins.
    By having a church service and endangering the congregation is a sin.
    Luke 4:12
    Do not put your Lord God to the test.

That is like saying I am going to drive my car at a 150 mph and jump 25 cars, and under the Grace of God He will protect me. NO however I think God takes on a human form and pops some popcorn and sits back and watches this guy making the jump.

If a person is ill an their deathbed and dies. People blame God. Person survives and the Dr is praised. Hypocrisy

Some Star Wars fans say in a joking manner it was midi-chlorians and the Force helped her, yea that would be a great story to tie the earth into the Star Wars universe.

• Judy R Authement

04/06/2020 07:24 AM

I believe that especially churches representing Jesus Christ are required thru God’s word to obey the laws of the land, we the followers of Christ!

• Susan Rotunda

04/06/2020 07:05 AM

Sir, love your daily briefs and appreciate your humor! My question to you is, how to we stop it? Big government can claim a health warning, establish new rules and arrest many for breaking those rules as is happening right now!
    How do we as a people fight against the This without ending up arrested?

• marc caring

04/06/2020 05:58 AM

Question? Was the act lawful or lawless? Was Jesus lawful or lawless? Is not he, The Lord the example to be followed?

• Donna Mason

04/06/2020 04:46 AM

I found the following detail about the arrested Tampa Rev Rodney Howard-Brown, very very interesting! He co-authored a book with Paul L. Williams. It is none other than 'The Killing of Uncle Sam', available in public libraries, bookstores or Amazon. Hmmm, could there be more here, than what meets the eye? Perhaps this pastor has been in the government crosshairs...

• Henry F Young

04/06/2020 03:50 AM

Extraordinary powers can be invoked in times of war, including even suspension of Habeus Corpus. Declarations of war are almost passe now, but that misses the real point even if we had a declaration of war and suspension of certain liberties. What’s needed is common sense and a spirit of not insisting on being right about our rights. If we insist on our right to assemble to worship the Lord, who are condemning to sickness or possibly death? Seems like pride at work instead of our God.

• Jeffrey Gura

04/06/2020 03:32 AM

The CDC says minimum of 6 feet. Really, that is good distance for droplet transmission. If Corona is truly airborne transmission, then I do not want to be only 6 feet from an infected person if I do not have an appropriate face mask and eye shield. I work in a hospital. If I follow all of the precautions, then I have little chance of becoming infected. Also, how forcefully we speak, or sing, has an effect on the distance that droplets can travel. Wind also matters. Most people are not well trained and disciplined regarding transmission of bacteria and viruses. So, I think the pastor, even with the best intentions, should have refrained, unless he can provide proof that his $100,000 air system is effective. Also, all people should understand to stay home if they have any symptoms. For any illness.
    One thing to consider. 6 foot distancing means that each person requires a constant 12 foot circle of space around himself.

• Tonia Bennett

04/06/2020 03:21 AM

Mr. Huckabee - I pray you see & read this. It's a question rather than a comment. Have you heard of Jesse John Dodi? If so, have you seen/listened to his 32 min video re: the global roll-out of 5G technology? It's on FB, but they are trying to discredit & remove it. YOU are someone whose opinions & thoughts on any given subject, matter to me; because I know you know, love & serve Jesus. I hope you will address the above mentioned video's content either in an email to me, or as subject matter in one of your upcoming daily news updates. Thank you for taking time to read my request & to consider addressing it. May God bless you & your loved ones. Sincerely, Tonia Bennett

• David walsh

04/06/2020 01:54 AM

If the supreme Court ruled santarias can kill animals legally on Miami Beach .
    As part of their worship of killing chickens and goats how can a pastor get arrested ?

• Terry Hosmer

04/06/2020 01:51 AM

Gov Huckebee l appreciate this opportunity
    After pastoring for 38 years l eventually learned to get wisdom and understanding from praying and the word of God. I understand heartily why Pastors do not want to close their churches. This is a situation that is affecting the whole world and it appears to me that sinners and Christian's are working together to control and defeat this virus. They do not work together to evangelize the whole world for Jesus. Born again Christian's are not going to forsake Jesus or their church while this battle is continuing, they are winners not losers. JESUS said to the desciples to obey the law of the land. This is what we must do and all born again Christian's will unite with sinners to win this battle and support our leaders in all efforts. Amen

• Mark Becker

04/06/2020 12:34 AM

It seems logical to me that all churches should be obeying government orders until such a time as they overstep Biblical principles. "Obeying God rather than man." This does not seem to be the case, and we should all be doing everything we can to protect ourselves and others - and if this includes shutting down for a time, we should. In this particular case I, personally, am not to upset over this pastor's arrest - he is known as the "The Holy Ghost Bartender" and has done much damage to the body of Christ.

• Maryanne

04/06/2020 12:15 AM

Sorry about that. However,./the rest of thrchurchesdod clise abd wirk out on line
    .he cant be an acception to the rule during this invisivkdwsr.

April 5, 2020

Third Party Talk

America Last

• John D

04/06/2020 01:34 PM

No . Why ?

• Derrick Heslep

04/06/2020 12:03 PM

• Judith Murphy

04/06/2020 11:36 AM

• Darla McCammon

04/06/2020 11:34 AM

• Allen Neighbors

04/06/2020 10:56 AM

Follow the Spirit of YAHWEH, not man.
    A tyrannical government is not to be just blindly followed.

• Jacqueline L Thomas

04/06/2020 10:52 AM

• Saiaung M Teekham

04/06/2020 10:39 AM

• Allen Neighbors

04/06/2020 10:26 AM

Follow the Spirit of YAHWEH, not man.
    A tyrannical government is not to be just blindly followed.

• Deb Prickett

04/06/2020 10:18 AM

• Helen Walker

04/06/2020 09:51 AM

• Ruth Hart

04/06/2020 09:27 AM

• Carolynn Ingram

04/06/2020 08:57 AM

• Ronald Bangert

04/06/2020 08:57 AM

Hunkered in our Bunker!

• Joseph K Weydemann

04/06/2020 08:37 AM

By having a church service and endangering the congregation is a sin.
    Luke 4:12
    Do not put your Lord God to the test.

• Judy R Authement

04/06/2020 07:24 AM

• Susan Rotunda

04/06/2020 07:05 AM

How do we as a people fight against the This without ending up arrested?

• marc caring

04/06/2020 05:58 AM

• Donna Mason

04/06/2020 04:46 AM

• Henry F Young

04/06/2020 03:50 AM

• Jeffrey Gura

04/06/2020 03:32 AM

• Tonia Bennett

04/06/2020 03:21 AM

• David walsh

04/06/2020 01:54 AM

If the supreme Court ruled santarias can kill animals legally on Miami Beach .

• Terry Hosmer

04/06/2020 01:51 AM

Gov Huckebee l appreciate this opportunity

• Mark Becker

04/06/2020 12:34 AM

• Maryanne

04/06/2020 12:15 AM

.he cant be an acception to the rule during this invisivkdwsr.

April 5, 2020

Third Party Talk

America Last

• John D

04/06/2020 01:34 PM

No . Why ?

• Derrick Heslep

04/06/2020 12:03 PM

• Judith Murphy

04/06/2020 11:36 AM

• Darla McCammon

04/06/2020 11:34 AM

• Allen Neighbors

04/06/2020 10:56 AM

Follow the Spirit of YAHWEH, not man.
    A tyrannical government is not to be just blindly followed.

• Jacqueline L Thomas

04/06/2020 10:52 AM

• Saiaung M Teekham

04/06/2020 10:39 AM

• Allen Neighbors

04/06/2020 10:26 AM

Follow the Spirit of YAHWEH, not man.
    A tyrannical government is not to be just blindly followed.

• Deb Prickett

04/06/2020 10:18 AM

• Helen Walker

04/06/2020 09:51 AM

• Ruth Hart

04/06/2020 09:27 AM

• Carolynn Ingram

04/06/2020 08:57 AM

• Ronald Bangert

04/06/2020 08:57 AM

Hunkered in our Bunker!

• Joseph K Weydemann

04/06/2020 08:37 AM

By having a church service and endangering the congregation is a sin.
    Luke 4:12
    Do not put your Lord God to the test.

• Judy R Authement

04/06/2020 07:24 AM

• Susan Rotunda

04/06/2020 07:05 AM

How do we as a people fight against the This without ending up arrested?

• marc caring

04/06/2020 05:58 AM

• Donna Mason

04/06/2020 04:46 AM

• Henry F Young

04/06/2020 03:50 AM

• Jeffrey Gura

04/06/2020 03:32 AM

• Tonia Bennett

04/06/2020 03:21 AM

• David walsh

04/06/2020 01:54 AM

If the supreme Court ruled santarias can kill animals legally on Miami Beach .

• Terry Hosmer

04/06/2020 01:51 AM

Gov Huckebee l appreciate this opportunity

• Mark Becker

04/06/2020 12:34 AM

• Maryanne

04/06/2020 12:15 AM

.he cant be an acception to the rule during this invisivkdwsr.