May 12, 2018

MSNBC’s Nicole Wallace apologized for asking a White House reporter how he resists “the temptation to run up and wring her neck,” referring to the President’s press secretary, who (full disclosure) is also my daughter. I will take Ms Wallace at her word that her apology was sincere, but I’m not letting her off the hook so easily until we examine the mindset that gives rise to such casual violent rhetoric and force her, and others in the media, to do a little more self-examination and, as the old bumper sticker read, to make sure their brains are engaged before putting their mouths in gear.

First of all, if anyone would be justified in wanting to wring a few necks in that room, it’s not the reporters. They don’t have to go out every day and face nasty, badgering, often frankly idiotic questions, many times repeated endlessly even after they’ve already received an answer or a reason why they can’t be answered at that time. They don’t have to try to show respect for people who pose as guardians of the First Amendment and bastions of journalistic integrity when we all know they spent eight years as lapdogs to the last Administration; that many openly renounced even the semblance of fairness and objectivity during the last election; and that some of the biggest names in the room have embarrassed themselves repeatedly by running poorly-sourced rumors and leaks that they later had to retract, all because any story that’s anti-Trump gets them too excited to think, like waving a piece of bacon at a Chihuahua.

Second, consider that this incitement of violence against my daughter came because Ms. Wallace was incensed at an (again) anonymously-sourced leak of an alleged callous comment about John McCain. She was incensed that Sarah said she wouldn't validate an as-yet unconfirmed leak by commenting on it before it was verified to have happened. I guess MSNBC reporters are used to trashing people’s reputations by commenting at length on unverified rumors that might not even be true – it’s sort of their job description these days – but that’s not Sarah’s job.

Third, this is hardly the first time members of this Administration have been the targets of violent rhetoric from the same liberal pack that smeared Sarah Palin as an accessory to attempted murder because her PAC ran some ads with target graphics on Congressional districts they were targeting. Yet once Trump took office, it somehow became acceptable to openly promote assault or assassination, and for former comedians to wave around facsimiles of the President’s bloody severed head. Why all the hateful, violent rhetoric? Well, Trump has it coming because he’s created an “atmosphere of incivility.” Seriously, do they not see the cloud of hypocrisy enveloping them that the rest of us see, as thick as London fog? Their threatening, slanderous and sometimes profane attacks on people they accuse of not being civil reminds me of an old cartoon from the ‘60s of a protester carrying a sign that read, “Kill the intolerant!”

Fourth, as this story shows, this is actually one of the milder nasty attacks Sarah has endured. She and her colleagues have been compared to all sorts of vile propagandists and liars by the same press corps that couldn’t muster a peep of protest when the point man for Obama’s Iran nuclear deal arrogantly admitted that he’d played the press like a cheap fiddle to sell that bill of goods to America, creating an echo chamber in which he bilked young, ignorant reporters into repeating whatever nonsense he fed them. Did they feel like wringing his neck? Funny, I don’t recall them ever saying so.

Well, I could go on, but I’ve given them a lot to reflect on, and it is a holiday weekend, so I’ll be merciful and let it go at that. But I will add one final word of advice: If I were they, I would not ever try running up and trying to attack Sarah. She knows how to take care of herself, and if the Secret Service doesn’t put you on the ground in a world of hurt, she will. The fact that the “comedian” hired for the White House Correspondents’ Dinner was able to leave under her own power is testament to the fact that my daughter was perhaps the only one in that entire room who understood what civility and self-control are.

Two Major About-Faces

The Left Is Wildly Misinformed

New Study Compares Coverage Of Biden And Trump

• Terry Nixon

05/12/2018 05:58 PM

Mike as usual, you have been point-on. One tactic the liberal news media uses frequently is to attack anything and anyone, including information they cannot in some way twist or stretch to fit their appointed personal and professional "Agenda." The media seems to believe it is their given responsibility to malign and belittle anyone who does not subscribe to their badgering. Never have I seen this so bad as it is now. These reporters make every news release or press briefing into an inquisition all its own!
    I am happy someone with the strength and fortitude of your daughter serves in this capacity.

• Carl Randolph

05/12/2018 05:51 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee,
    Truly sorry to hear that once again, the idiots are attacking your daughter. I consider your daughter, Ms Sarah Sanders to be one of the finest Ladies in America. The job she does against so many hateful people is amazing and her intelligence and restraint are above reproach and far superior to those who feel the need to make such asinine comments. Please Sir, the next time you see your daughter, please give her a huge hug from all of us who respect and love her. May God bless you and Sarah!

• Karen Omo

05/12/2018 05:43 PM

Your daughter is the smartest woman I know. She is grace under extreme pressure. And frankly, I don't know how she can be so patient during those press briefings. I want to tear my hair out when they ask the same question 20 more times. We are just as proud of her as you are. ?? We love ?? her.

• Juanita F Greene

05/12/2018 05:38 PM

Your daughter always....always keeps her cool. A very difficult job considering the people she has to deal with.

• Judy Hannon

05/12/2018 05:33 PM

Your daughter is a fine women with more control I have ever seen, and give her a lot of credit for all she has put up with by those fools. Wish they had some common since and showed some professionalism, it would be easier to take.

• LORI ANN REGO

05/12/2018 05:32 PM

GOV. HUCKABEE I'M SO GLAD TO HEAR LAST MAN STANDING WILL DEFINATELY COMEBACK ON FOX NETWORK. I HAD JUST SIGNED A PETITION THAT TIM ALLEN HAD TO GET LAST MAN STANDING BACK ON THE AIR. THANKS FOR SHARING

• Stephen Russell

05/12/2018 05:27 PM

Sarah should be able to jettison bad reporters for abuse or non sense questions alone
    Or close off BriefingRoom, Open to WH Tours & host sessions with 2 way Video feed.
    End these "games" by the Leftist Media State,
    Or post WH Security in Press room to manhandle any abusive reporter.
    & media should rethink assigning reporters to WH press pool.

• LORI ANN REGO

05/12/2018 05:25 PM

GOV. HUCKABEE I'M WONDERING IF THE REPORTER WAS TOLD TO APOLOGIZE AND WASN'T SINCERE OR SHE REALIZED A GOOD REPORTER MUST BE PROFESSIONAL SO SHE APOLOGIZED. OR WAS SHE WORRIED THAT SHE WOULD BE ARRESTED OR BE SUED FOR THREATENING TO RING SOMEONES NECK. THAT WAS VERY UNAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR OF THE REPORTER. I'M AMAZED AS THE FATHER OF THE PRESS SECRETARY IT MUST BE DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO STAY CALM & OBJECTIVE OF THE SITUATION. GOD MUST BE GIVING YOU THE STRENGTH

• Norma Guild

05/12/2018 05:21 PM

I am just appalled at the verbal abuse against Sarah. She is such a lady and a good mom. She can hold her own, but life must become difficult when people are hateful, unkind and even cruel. Every time she begins her briefing I pray for her.

• Hugh Thomas

05/12/2018 05:18 PM

I know Sarah has a strong faith and believes in the principles of freedom loving people. GOD Bless Her

• Harold and Jacquelyn Nevels

05/12/2018 05:16 PM

Hooray for the Huckabee's, including Sarah Huckabee Sanders! Well said, and we are proud of your fatherly restraint! Yes, knowing what civility and self control are and displaying it in this world (especially world of politics today) is so needed in our world, and we, indeed, have pride in Sarah; it is testament to her upbringing from both parents and to her dependence on a Heavenly Father also for her display of both. God bless you is our fervent and literal sincere prayer!

• George Curl

05/12/2018 05:10 PM

I know that you and your bride are as proud of your daughter, as I am my two Air Force sons. It just shows what a good job you did raising her. Kipling spoke to all people not just young men when he said,"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

You've done well governor.

• Kathy Nogle

05/12/2018 05:04 PM

Sarah is the best Press Secretary we've had in a very long time.

• Betty Blanks

05/12/2018 04:57 PM

Gov. Huckabee you are right on. It really angers me that the so called reporters and other Liberals are stupid enough to even try to take Sarah down. She is so far above them and they know it, that is why they keep harassing her. They have no class and could never hold a candle to her. Anyone with a brain can see that she far outshines any one of them. You and Sarah are exactly what this country needs. God Bless you both.

• Shirley Milford

05/12/2018 04:41 PM

Some of those White House reporters are very RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL! The White House should cancel daily press conferences and only send typed announcements. They could have called press conferences by 'invitation only'. If some smart mouth tries to get attention - they do not receive an invitation for the next one ... 'no soup for you!' Maybe that will help those rude journalists remember their manners.

• J. Bruce Gabriel

05/12/2018 04:40 PM

I have seen a number of Sarah Huckabee Sanders' news conferences and have always found her respectful, but unafraid to state the truth in a concise, eloquent and pithy manner. Like you Governor Huckabee, we are all very proud of our Warrior Press Secretary. If I had to go to war, it would be with tough minded and competent individuals like Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

• Carolee Maxwell

05/12/2018 04:38 PM

Governor, I am so glad you made your comments about the evil media reporters who are America's worst enemy because they are so far to the left they do not have integrity. They operate off of lies. Cannot trust them. We pray for Sarah because she is thrown in with the den of lions. She is a remarkable woman which so many have come to admire and respect for how she handles the attacks of the media. Not only is President Trump very fortunate to have her but we God-fearing Americans are very fortunate that she represents herself in a Godly way even though she sets the records straight with firmness sometimes. She is certainly forced to do that. Thank you for a father's love for your daughter. Be sure and convey to Sarah our gratitude for persevering. Turn a deaf ear to the ugly comments of those who know nothing of integrity and doing the right thing. By the way, thank you for what you stand for that is Godly.

• Cecile Talley

05/12/2018 04:37 PM

I love this commentary. And I love your daughter. She is great and has way more patience than I would.

• Lenda Dollyhigh

05/12/2018 04:19 PM

Thank you once again for such a great job of "telling it like it is."

• Stella Longoria

05/12/2018 04:09 PM

I admire you, Mr. Huckabee, for being so kind and tolerant of this woman's comment about your daughter, Sarah. As a parent, my first inclination would have been to want to "wring her neck". But you and Sarah are great examples of a good Christians, you maintain your dignity and don't go down to their level. May God give Sarah the strength to keep up the great job she is doing.

• raymond smeal

05/12/2018 04:03 PM

You hit the nail on the head about reporters repeatedly asking the same questions over and over. I guess they are just too stupid to understand the answer the first time. The way some of them get up in peoples faces, I am all for some of them getting punched out. That's about the only way to explain things to utterly ignorant people.

• Claudia M Nelson

05/12/2018 03:57 PM

You are dead on, Gov. Huckabee! You have such a great way with words. And please let Sarah know that WE THE (REAL) PEOPLE love her, respect her and think she's not only gorgeous, but a VERY smart cookie!!

May 12, 2018

05/12/2018 05:33 PM

• LORI ANN REGO

05/12/2018 05:32 PM

• Stephen Russell

05/12/2018 05:27 PM

End these "games" by the Leftist Media State,
    Or post WH Security in Press room to manhandle any abusive reporter.
    & media should rethink assigning reporters to WH press pool.

• LORI ANN REGO

05/12/2018 05:10 PM

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

You've done well governor.

• Kathy Nogle

05/12/2018 05:04 PM

Sarah is the best Press Secretary we've had in a very long time.

• Betty Blanks

05/12/2018 04:57 PM

• Shirley Milford

05/12/2018 04:41 PM

• J. Bruce Gabriel

05/12/2018 04:40 PM

• Carolee Maxwell

05/12/2018 04:38 PM

• Cecile Talley

05/12/2018 04:37 PM

• Lenda Dollyhigh

05/12/2018 04:19 PM

Thank you once again for such a great job of "telling it like it is."

• Stella Longoria