The first public installment of the “Impeach Trump 2019” spectacle took place on Wednesday, and this is not like the impeachment hearings of old. It’s completely partisan, rigidly controlled by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff. To construct a false narrative, Schiff, in a painfully obvious contortion, makes sure that only certain aspects of this complex story are acknowledged to exist. In fact, that’s why the committee had to come back later, after dismissing the witnesses and cameras: to consider a motion to subpoena the “anonymous whistleblower” (who, as we’ve noted, isn’t a whistleblower under federal law but known Democrat operative/spy Eric Ciaramella, spelled C-I-A-R-A-M-E-L-L-A, pronounced “CHAR-a-mel-ah, as in “CHAR-lie”). That motion was, not surprisingly, tabled, by party-line vote. Aw, too bad we didn’t get to find out his ("or her") name.

Anyone with a few functioning brain cells knows that one reason Schiff can’t allow questions about the whistleblower is that HE and HIS STAFF would be shown to be lying about their contacts and “collusion” with this very person. We all know who it is! We just can’t talk about him! And, of course, we can’t hear from anyone with whom he's spoken.

The fact that the very person who is RUNNING THE IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY is the one whose staff first had contact with the person who sparked the impeachment inquiry is like something out of a political thriller. You can’t make this stuff up. (Or, if you can, you really should start writing political thrillers.) Absurdly, Schiff currently maintains he doesn’t know this person's name; either he is brazenly lying or he has carefully tiptoed around the name when speaking with his staff, so as to preserve technical deniability on that one point.  But he knows.

We knew Jim Jordan and John Ratcliffe would knock it out of the park on questioning, and they did. But let's also acknowledge New York Rep. Elise Stefanik for her skillful line of questioning; she has a no-nonsense way of cutting right to the chase. We should be proud of all the Republicans’ efforts to get the facts out there for the American public. Imagine how much more effective they would have been if they could have asked certain central questions without being silenced by Adam Schiff. It would have been a total take-down.

Of course, that’s why Schiff ran the hearing as he did. If he didn’t, we might have Republican committee members asking about things like this…

As I was listening on Wednesday, I kept thinking, “These false allegations against Trump are being presented as if they were a shocking abuse of power. What if this were President Obama? Wouldn’t this just be seen as his rightful exercise of power? I think we all know that, YES, it would.”

Consider that Obama’s terrible Iran deal was so important to him, he secretly put millions of dollars in cash on a plane and had it flown over, thinking we'd never know. Can you imagine the hysteria if President Trump had even been accused of contemplating doing that? Bribery! Secrecy! Treachery! Back-channel diplomacy! Impeachment!  Yet the very real Obama story just went away.

The two “star witnesses” in Wednesday’s testimony had no direct evidence whatsoever of any Trump “quid pro quo” --- of course, that won’t matter to Democrats, who just move the goal posts --- and Jordan easily pointed out that all they had was hearsay and opinion. “Ambassador, you didn’t listen in on the call, did you…?” (No.) “You’ve never talked with Chief of Staff Mulvaney?” (No.) “You’ve never met the President?” (No.) “You had three meetings, again, with Zelensky and it didn’t come up?” (No. “And in two of them they’d never heard about it [withholding aid], as far as I know.”)

None of this would be allowed in a court of law, and for good reason: it would mean a defendant could be almost effortlessly railroaded. “I’ve seen church prayer chains that are easier to understand than this,” Jordan said of the hearsay.

Legal analyst Gregg Jarrett said later, “Single hearsay’s unreliable, double hearsay’s a joke, triple hearsay’s a farce, and quadruple hearsay’s is slapstick and buffoonery. And yet that’s what we heard today; George Kent said he believed there was a quid pro quo, because he heard it from Taylor who heard it from Tim Morrison who heard it from [Ambassador] Gordon Sondland. Where did Sondland get it? Oh, he ‘presumed’ there was a quid pro quo, even though the President told him [Sondland] directly, ‘I want nothing; there’s no quid pro quo.’”

“Cross examination is the engine of truth,” Jarrett said, “and we learned today why, because Jordan and Ratcliffe and [Michael] Turner eviscerated this chattering class of diplomats whose only currency seems to be innuendo, rumor, speculation based on multiple hearsay. That’s not evidence; it’s junk...” Likewise, Sen. Lindsay Graham, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, has vowed there will be no impeachment trial based on hearsay evidence and/or an anonymous accuser. “What they’re doing in the House is a danger to the presidency itself,” he said, adding that any trial in the Senate would HAVE to expose the “whistleblower” –- and all his connections –- so that the President could confront his accuser.

In other words, Democrats, be careful what you wish for.

Early in Wednesday’s proceedings, Ratcliffe asked for a point of order on whether members could object to leading questions and hearsay, as he had already seen ample opportunity to do that while Democrats had had the floor. (Schiff essentially ignored him and looked like an absolute prig.) Later, he asked both witnesses straight-out, “So, in this impeachment hearing today, where we impeach Presidents for treason or bribery or other high crimes, where is the impeachable offense in that call? Are either of you here today to assert there was an impeachable offense in that call?” (Uncomfortable silence.) “Shout it out,” he continued. “Anyone?” (Nada.)

Some Democrat members, notably Joaquin Castro, asked incredibly leading questions to get witnesses to agree that certain behavior would be bad, but the perceptive among you will have noticed he offered no actual evidence of said behavior. Those are the clips that will run over and over on MSNBC.  But once you catch on to this tactic, it’s so freaking obvious. The “crime” is always in their interpretation --- what they choose to believe the President’s intention was.

And that’s why the Republicans are going to have to get even tougher, to keep true-believer Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) from being able to impeach the President according to their own interpretations of what the President did. Look who’s helping them now, on-air as a newly-hired NBC news analyst…

Top Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissmann offers impeachment advice to Democrats

But a few Democrats are apparently so shaken by their side’s tactics that they are considering leaving the party. I’ll close with a note of optimism about the human race, brought to us by Rep. Andrew McCarthy in an interview Wednesday with Sean Hannity. “I’ve had a couple; I had a Democrat come to me today and tell me he even questioned about whether he should stay a Democrat or he should re-register. He said, ‘This is not the party that I know...these individuals and the direction that they’re going is totally wrong.’”

• Franck Prissert

11/14/2019 01:01 PM

Governor, how do we spell Chiarppela again ??! Does Schiff understand that the IG is looking into this guy go fund me, illegal for a civil servant? How long does he schiff he can have it both way, whistleblower I don’t see, now I do... Oh, and George Kent who thinks his illustrious parents apparently include the real Clark, where was he when Obama co-signed the Iran deal in December 2013, a couple of weeks after Euromaidan started because Putin told Yanukovich to keep Timoschenko in jail, and not join the EU, knowing full well Putin’s next move would be to invade Ukraine? As for Ambassador Taylor, I don’t know, but I think it was unfair not to allow him to ask his wife about all those nasty questions.

• Anne Knowlton

11/14/2019 12:41 PM

Governor, you and the Almighty give me hope.

• Carolyn Wilt

11/14/2019 12:39 PM

The Dems asking the questions in a lot of instances are misleading the witness. Putting words into their mouths. I keep waiting for some one to yell “I object”. No one can do any thing. The Dems have complete control? Is this what our country has come down to? I can not believe what I am seeing.

• Robert Eubanks

11/14/2019 12:33 PM

I thought Ms. Stefanik was brilliant. This whole process should have been ended, thrown out, over and done, back to the drawing board after her presentation.
    The demoncrats should remember, "Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

• Arthur Raymond Mason

11/14/2019 12:14 PM

All the Democrats need to be asked if they have ever read Treaty 106-16? They also need to be asked if they have read the Constitution that they swore to uphold and protect from all enemies? We also should question them on why they are violating their oath of office?

• EstherSims

11/14/2019 12:11 PM

Great article. Thank you. I watched it all! What a show!

Esther

• TOMMIE CLARK

11/14/2019 12:02 PM

MR HUCKABEE I SENT YOU AN EMAIL WHICH YOU SAID YOU ALWAYS ANSWER ,BUT I HAVE HEARD NOTHING FROM YOU. I HEARD THAT PELOSI IS USING OUR SOCIAL SECURITY TO PAY FOR THIS FARCE. I WANT TO KNOW . THE AMERICAN PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS . GOD OUR COUNTRY IS IN A MESS

• Paul B. Smith, Jr.

11/14/2019 11:57 AM

Someone needs to send Adam Schiff a clown suit - he needs one !!!!!

• P.E.

11/14/2019 11:55 AM

First enjoy your letters. But I look forward to your Bible verse for the day. Actually use one the other day, for a young man that just got lay off. Ps. About hope, tribulation, and prayers.
    I am reading the book of Numbers right now.

Would love to go to Washington D.C. and first ask them all , how much time to spend with God. Secondly take them to Numbers and how God killed them for not doing will and being truthful to God. So then I would say to all of them , our you being truthful, God knows your thoughts. Third I would give them the plan of salvation.

Maybe they should invite us.

God is using President and Vice President For His purpose. Amen to that! We need to keep them in prayer.

Have a bless day from a senior, in Va.

• Karen a Armstrong

11/14/2019 11:55 AM

I wonder why Republicans let Obama away with all that...why did they stay silent on pallets of money shipped overseas? When did Schiff become the last say in the court system? Why is he able to coach a witness during questioning? Is he a lawyer for them? I thought lawyers weren't allowed. When will they be held accountable for this circus they have created? Its so ridiculous that I'm actually not afraid for the President. He will have a second term. Prophet Kim Clement (who has passed away now) prophesized about Pres. Trump well before he ran, if you want every hair on your arm to stand straight up YouTube it. Right down to the public will cry "Impeach, Impeach!' That was in 2014 I believe. Its an incredible watch. His church said he was always very specific with his prophesies and never wrong. What I do wonder is why Republicans don't kick up a fuss when things are shady, why did they allow Obama away with so much and now allow the Democrats to make a mockery of our system of Justice, our Constitution, and our laws?

• Elizabeth Sandberg

11/14/2019 11:53 AM

This has made me sad, angry, frustrated, and left me feeling helpless
    What can anyone do? It seems they can’t hear us and we can’t understand them

• Russell Gardiner

11/14/2019 11:52 AM

Unfortunately the mainstream media will only tell us what the Democrats want us to know. The American people will never hear the whole story because they believe the mainstream media and are too lazy to find out all sides of the story.

• Marilynn Hoyt

11/14/2019 11:20 AM

First, why are good republicans allowing shifty to silence them??????????????? 2nd, it seems just by involving them selves, republicans are giving this whole thing credibility. They should be condemning the whole mess!!! 3rd, if only these evil people could get their minds off full blown hatred and the agenda, they would see just how truly stupid and foolish they actually look!!!!! I pray that voters in their area see this and boot them out.

• Deatrich Curtis C

11/14/2019 11:15 AM

How can a Jury (Senate) have members who have publicly stated how they will vote (Bernie + others), BEFORE the trial begins, be seated on the jury. This once again defies the presumption of innocence.

• Tom Bennett

11/14/2019 11:14 AM

Refreshing to find an Honest Man in politics = YOU

• Joan Waters

11/14/2019 11:12 AM

Always love your sense of humor governor. Want to thank you for recognizing Elise Stefanik who is doing a great job for those of us in her district. She has many supports on Facebook but many (left wingers) who get on with their dimwit negative ranting. Amazing to see how many of them still don’t have a clue. Thank you again and I enjoy you back on tv. Joan Waters

• David Colonna

11/14/2019 11:10 AM

Hello Mike,
    Since you have your own talk show on TBN is their any way you can get me a press pass in to the Adam Schiff impeachment, circus, hearing so I can release the whistleblowers name and heckle Adam Schiff and the Democrats. Actually not really heckle but inject when they lie, state hearsay or try to color code the call to make it look like our President did illegal activity. Please help me to get in to the hearings so I can inject what the true Americans feel about the hearing and get this message broadcasted across all media outlets since it is live. I am serious here on being the fly on the wall with a big mouth to interject truth during the hearing!! I want to help stop this destructive behavior now!

• Ruth Lee Hair

11/14/2019 11:06 AM

Thanks for another good, common sense article. I always enjoy reading your perspective on national issues.

• Norman Leal

11/14/2019 10:58 AM

Stop this impeachment stuff. It's a waste of time. Since Democrats don't like the outcome of the election wait until the next one, 2020.

• Rich Frey

11/14/2019 10:58 AM

Governor Huckabee, a great analysis. Thank you, I didn’t watch because I’m afraid I would have thrown my shoe through the television screen. My wife and I love your TV show; and we live in Commiefornia. Would love to be there but don’t have the $$ or the time! Thanks again!

• Carl Anderson

11/14/2019 10:55 AM

Is Schiff giving us a reincarnation of the demagogery of Joe McCarthy?
    We need Edward R Murrow to expose this crap.

• James N. Fossett

11/14/2019 10:54 AM

Why don't the Democrats go ahead and vote to impeach the President because it seems like they have their minds made up. Send it to the Senate and let's get this mess out of the way so they can get on with their job to serve the American people. They need to quit wasting tax dollars and go on about business of serving the American people.

• Helen Tritt

11/14/2019 10:51 AM

This Three-Ring CIRCUS is all about SHIFTY SHIFF being put on DISPLAY and how great he is being in control, similarly the same way obama did, only himself that matters. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE FARCE, AN EMBARRASSMENT TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY HAVING SO MANY NARCISSISTS IN POSITION OF UNWARRANTED POWER! I salute the Representatives Devin Nunez, John Ratcliffe, and Jim Jordan for their OUTSTANDING QUESTIONS TO THE PHONIES. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• James Anderson

11/14/2019 10:39 AM

I am a 68 year old life long Republican. My party is not without its faults and missteps over my lifetime. But the 2019 Democrat Party is something totally unrecognizable from what I have know since high school. I suspect there are a few honest members of the Democrat Party currently serving in Congress that do love the Country we grew up in. You are likely from fly-over country. If you are out there...please take a stand and resign from the Party that left you! Please stand up for what is right. Please help stop this ugly attack on an elected President. I long for a return to the days when - for example - President Reagan and Tip O'Neill would work together to get something done for America - even though they disagreed on almost everything.

• Elgonda Brunkhorst

11/14/2019 10:36 AM

A small group of us prayed Tuesday morning, here is summary of scriptures and visions and prophetic word received:
    The word “Jerusalem” ( seen in reverse, like reflected in mirror)
    Its all a matter of the Point of view, seen from God’s side vs from our side

Jesus appeared , as He had done in Joshua , told us He is bringing an end to the walled in strongholds of political obstructions. (of Jericho walls blocking possession,
    Jesus as Captain of the Lord’s appeared to Joshua with strategy, 13 th time around wall of Jericho stronghold the walls imploded!)
    Like the Twin towers imploded, we send the word that a curse without a cause will not alight against our President and against our conservatives, the believers.
    It will return whence it was sent.
    It will cause the walled in deep state and Dem political party to implode upon themselves. ??
    A jackhammer sounding prayer language again , coming at the foundations of the political deep state.
    Declared and sent word-bombs into the stronghold.
    Implode , Dem party implode , deep state party implode in Jesus Name. ??
    Shofar blowing with tongue prayer of jackhammer sound.
    Hallelujah.
    Impeachment will fail.
    “Impeachment will be a Peach to Trump”

In other words, Democrats, be careful what you wish for.

Top Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissmann offers impeachment advice to Democrats

• Franck Prissert

11/14/2019 01:01 PM

• Anne Knowlton

11/14/2019 12:41 PM

Governor, you and the Almighty give me hope.

• Carolyn Wilt

11/14/2019 12:39 PM

• Robert Eubanks

11/14/2019 12:33 PM

• Arthur Raymond Mason

11/14/2019 12:14 PM

• EstherSims

11/14/2019 12:11 PM

Great article. Thank you. I watched it all! What a show!

Esther

• TOMMIE CLARK

11/14/2019 12:02 PM

• Paul B. Smith, Jr.

11/14/2019 11:57 AM

Someone needs to send Adam Schiff a clown suit - he needs one !!!!!

• P.E.

11/14/2019 11:55 AM

I am reading the book of Numbers right now.

Maybe they should invite us.

Have a bless day from a senior, in Va.

• Karen a Armstrong

• Norman Leal

11/14/2019 10:58 AM

• Rich Frey

11/14/2019 10:58 AM

• Carl Anderson

11/14/2019 10:55 AM

Is Schiff giving us a reincarnation of the demagogery of Joe McCarthy?
    We need Edward R Murrow to expose this crap.

• James N. Fossett

11/14/2019 10:54 AM

• Helen Tritt

11/14/2019 10:51 AM

• James Anderson

11/14/2019 10:39 AM

• Elgonda Brunkhorst

11/14/2019 10:36 AM

The word “Jerusalem” ( seen in reverse, like reflected in mirror)
    Its all a matter of the Point of view, seen from God’s side vs from our side

It will return whence it was sent.
    Declared and sent word-bombs into the stronghold.
    Implode , Dem party implode , deep state party implode in Jesus Name. ??
    Shofar blowing with tongue prayer of jackhammer sound.
    Hallelujah.
    Impeachment will fail.
    “Impeachment will be a Peach to Trump”

In other words, Democrats, be careful what you wish for.

Top Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissmann offers impeachment advice to Democrats

• Franck Prissert

11/14/2019 01:01 PM

• Anne Knowlton

11/14/2019 12:41 PM

Governor, you and the Almighty give me hope.

• Carolyn Wilt

11/14/2019 12:39 PM

• Robert Eubanks

11/14/2019 12:33 PM

• Arthur Raymond Mason

11/14/2019 12:14 PM

• EstherSims

11/14/2019 12:11 PM

Great article. Thank you. I watched it all! What a show!

Esther

• TOMMIE CLARK

11/14/2019 12:02 PM

• Paul B. Smith, Jr.

11/14/2019 11:57 AM

Someone needs to send Adam Schiff a clown suit - he needs one !!!!!

• P.E.

11/14/2019 11:55 AM

I am reading the book of Numbers right now.

Maybe they should invite us.

Have a bless day from a senior, in Va.

• Karen a Armstrong

• Norman Leal

11/14/2019 10:58 AM

• Rich Frey

11/14/2019 10:58 AM

• Carl Anderson

11/14/2019 10:55 AM

Is Schiff giving us a reincarnation of the demagogery of Joe McCarthy?
    We need Edward R Murrow to expose this crap.

• James N. Fossett

11/14/2019 10:54 AM

• Helen Tritt

11/14/2019 10:51 AM

• James Anderson

11/14/2019 10:39 AM

• Elgonda Brunkhorst

11/14/2019 10:36 AM

The word “Jerusalem” ( seen in reverse, like reflected in mirror)
    Its all a matter of the Point of view, seen from God’s side vs from our side

It will return whence it was sent.
    Declared and sent word-bombs into the stronghold.
    Implode , Dem party implode , deep state party implode in Jesus Name. ??
    Shofar blowing with tongue prayer of jackhammer sound.
    Hallelujah.
    Impeachment will fail.
    “Impeachment will be a Peach to Trump”