President Trump is taking a tsunami of mockery from Democrats, Twitter trolls and late night comics for criticizing the do-nothing Broward County deputies by saying that he would have run into that school to help stop the shooter, even if he hadn’t been armed. But that apparently wasn’t just braggadocio: Someone looked into the New York Daily News archives and found a story from 1991 about how Trump saw a mugger beating someone with a baseball bat. He had his driver stop, and he got out and accosted the mugger, who ran away. One witness disputed that account, but another confirmed that it did happen. I don’t know for sure, but I do think that if I were being mugged in New York, I’d have a better chance of Donald Trump showing up like Batman and stopping the mugger than of Stephen Colbert doing it.

But there’s another very important aspect of this story that’s been overlooked in all the partisan attacks and defenses. Apparently, nobody bothered to read what Trump said in its entirety. In talking to a roomful of Governors, he actually said this:

“I really believe I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon, and I think most of the people in this room would’ve done that too.”

Note that the full context reveals that he wasn’t bragging that he’s some kind of special superhero. He was saying that running in to help the kids was just the natural reflex reaction that most decent humans would have.

This is why you shouldn’t get your news from late night comedians. They aren’t looking for nuance, context or accuracy. They’re looking for a set-up to a punchline. If all they need to make Trump sound foolish is the first half of the sentence, then you will never hear the second half.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

• paul crews

03/01/2018 08:37 PM

I really appreciate that you, because of the Lord's presence in your life, try to tell us the truth. Thank you and God bless you. I really enjoy your style too!

• Jerome Teresa McCluskey

03/01/2018 08:31 PM

I am a Trump follower I have heartly approved all he has tried to do since elected against all odds meaning dems,however I cannot agree with confiscating guns.I do NOT like guns but guns do NOT kill people. The parkland shooting was not the fault of the gun but who owned the gun.and the real fault was the collusion with the sheriffs dept and the naacp. I am not a gun fancier if fact I do not like weapons but I will be sadly disapointed if The president bends to the liberals on gun control.thank you.

• Richard Johns

03/01/2018 08:28 PM

The liberal left doesn't know how to do anything else except criticize this President. I am 72 years old and this is the worst I have ever seen in politics. The left is hateful and there is nothing else you can say about it.

• Bernadette Dillon

03/01/2018 08:25 PM

President Trump must really and truly love this country to want to run for President for another 4 years and put up with the mass media like has has for over a year now. What his poor family has been through sending white powder in the mail to his son. Ivanka constantly being attacked for anything and everything and Melania his wife. What that poor woman has been through. No wonder she lives in New York. If the mass media picked on Obama and his daughters the way they have gone after Trump and his family there would be blood in the streets over it. Trump lied, Trump is crazy, Impeach Trump. Maxine Waters impeach 45. Forgive me Governor Huckabee, Pastor Huckabee... Please all of you just be quiet and let the man do his job and leave his family ALONNNNNNNEEEEEE...... This left is unhinged and 100% out of control and they believe this will get them the votes come September. I think they are all smoking Bernie Sanders weed and completely out of the realm of reality.

• Jack Cross

03/01/2018 08:23 PM

I can not understand why people want the ability to own an automatic weapon

• Barbara Langan

03/01/2018 08:09 PM

You are so right, Governor. I would much rather have President Trump come to my rescue, than a blowhard like Stephen Colbert. Sadly, too many people these days, get their news from outlets like late night television shows, Comedy Central,etc., where the President is their constant punchline. It saddens and worries me....but just like in 2016, amid all the biased news reporting leading up to the election, the TRUTH survived, and was victorious in the end. I also think" Divine Providence" had a heavy hand on November 8, 2016, as well!

• Charles Matthews

03/01/2018 08:09 PM

Would Trump have run into that school? I think he would have. But, the entire situation is hypothetical. Looking at the facts, Trump had a concealed carry license. It doesn't really matter what Trump would have done. What matters is what the Broward County deputies didn't do.

• Robin Rosenblatt

03/01/2018 07:56 PM

I suggested this to Homeland Security today at 3:58:40 PM3/1/18.
    This is the only one real Solution... And it will stop all the stupid talk.
    How many years have we been passed gun laws and has it ever stopped these attacks! Will passing another law stop these attacks? No.
    America needs a National Law putting highly trained, experienced Armed Guards at every America School to protect our children. They must be able to give a feeling of security to our children by treating them with respect. This should be inspected twice a year. Homeland Security, National Guards, US Marshalls and private companies can do it.
    How many attacks at Israeli schools? ZERO! We have armed guards.
    This positive step could ready to put in place in two or three months.
    It is vital you spread the word to protect our Children

Robin Rosenblatt, M.Sc. Animal Science, former Israeli Soldier and past Anti Terrorist Agent
    The Israel Longhorn Project
    Nonprofit 501(c) 3 #74-3177354
    7777 Bodega Ave. S - 107
    Sebastopol, CA 95472
    Tele: 650.631.9270 / cell: 650.339.0269
    [email protected]

• Holly Thompson

03/01/2018 07:55 PM

Gov. Huckabee. Thank you once more for giving us good news! The Broward shooting has uncovered many things that are very bad in that community! Hopefully, it will bring a badly needed cleansing to that part of Florida. I truly believe President Trump would have run in weaponless to assist those students. That is what he's seemingly doing "single handedly" in a Superman way for many aspects gone awry in the USA! The Lord has a way of sending in heroes at just the right time, even when there are many who can't recognize the hero in plain sight or don't understand the timing!

• Tuck Allen

03/01/2018 06:00 PM

Thank you Sir for standing up for the truth.

• Jerry Nye

03/01/2018 04:05 PM

I’m very troubled by a couple of things! 1. The fact that our President is still funding Planned Parenthood! 2. Our presidents sudden move so far left on gun control that I will not vote for him in 2020! How do you feel on these two issues? Thanks!

• Roy Kemp

03/01/2018 03:24 PM

You might recommend to POTUS that we should change government employees from tenured status to merit/production status for promotions, raises and even job retention.
    Nowhere in the private sector can you retire after less than 20 years with full benefits and much more retirement benefits than nearly any job in the private sector can afford.
    Also, the pay scale in government should not be more than the private sector pay scale.

• Vickie Fiorentino

03/01/2018 11:14 AM

Can we just get on with turning this nation around, out of debt and have reporters actually tell the WHOLE truth...Late night "talk" shows are for people with insomnia who can't really remember what was said the next day unless someone quotes it. Why so much hate for a president who is padding your pockets? OSAMA OBAMA promised "change" and all you got was the "change" in your pocket...this man is actually bettering our lives and communities.

• LOREN LEVINSKY

02/28/2018 08:24 PM

All Colbert does is come out and prances around on stage then tells some lame jokes usually aimed at the president that aren't at all funny except for the fact is doesn't take much to entertain his mental midget audience.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

• paul crews

• Barbara Langan

03/01/2018 08:09 PM

• Charles Matthews

03/01/2018 08:09 PM

• Robin Rosenblatt

03/01/2018 07:56 PM

I suggested this to Homeland Security today at 3:58:40 PM3/1/18.
    This is the only one real Solution... And it will stop all the stupid talk.
    How many attacks at Israeli schools? ZERO! We have armed guards.
    This positive step could ready to put in place in two or three months.
    It is vital you spread the word to protect our Children

The Israel Longhorn Project
    Nonprofit 501(c) 3 #74-3177354
    7777 Bodega Ave. S - 107
    Sebastopol, CA 95472
    Tele: 650.631.9270 / cell: 650.339.0269
    [email protected]

• Holly Thompson

03/01/2018 07:55 PM

• Tuck Allen

03/01/2018 06:00 PM

Thank you Sir for standing up for the truth.

• Jerry Nye

03/01/2018 04:05 PM

• Roy Kemp

03/01/2018 03:24 PM

• Vickie Fiorentino

03/01/2018 11:14 AM

• LOREN LEVINSKY

02/28/2018 08:24 PM

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

• paul crews

• Barbara Langan

03/01/2018 08:09 PM

• Charles Matthews

03/01/2018 08:09 PM

• Robin Rosenblatt

03/01/2018 07:56 PM

I suggested this to Homeland Security today at 3:58:40 PM3/1/18.
    This is the only one real Solution... And it will stop all the stupid talk.
    How many attacks at Israeli schools? ZERO! We have armed guards.
    This positive step could ready to put in place in two or three months.
    It is vital you spread the word to protect our Children

The Israel Longhorn Project
    Nonprofit 501(c) 3 #74-3177354
    7777 Bodega Ave. S - 107
    Sebastopol, CA 95472
    Tele: 650.631.9270 / cell: 650.339.0269
    [email protected]

• Holly Thompson

03/01/2018 07:55 PM

• Tuck Allen

03/01/2018 06:00 PM

Thank you Sir for standing up for the truth.

• Jerry Nye