With no physical evidence or corroboration --- indeed, witnesses who contradict her story about their presence at a party at which she says she was assaulted --- Christine Blasey Ford’s case comes down to the truth of her recollections.  Not what she recalls, because she could be wrong, but the accuracy and specificity of those memories as they relate to Brett Kavanaugh.  Not “her” truth –- THE truth.  In the end, that is all that matters.  So let’s take a look at the science of memory.

Dr. Ford is a research psychologist and psychology professor, so it’s not surprising that she would have responded to questions about her memory in neuroscientific jargon.  When asked how she could be sure Kavanaugh was her attacker, this was her answer:  “Just basic memory functions.  And also, just the level of norepinephrine and epinephrine in the brain that sort of, you know, encodes –- that neurotransmitter encodes memories into the hippocampus.  And so the trauma-related experience is then sort of locked there.  Whereas other details kind of drift.”

She says that’s why she can’t remember key details such as the location, how she got there and how she got home.  But she rejected even the possibility of mistaken identity, saying she was 100 percent sure that her attacker was Kavanaugh.  Still, it’s crucial to note that just because a memory is “indelible in the hippocampus” doesn’t mean it’s of something that actually happened.  There are other ways it could have been planted there, whether it happened or not.

And the “drifty” parts don’t make sense.  A 15-year-old girl who doesn’t drive goes to a party seven miles or so from her house and is there with her close girlfriend.  How did they get there?  The girls may or may not have gotten there before the two boys but she knows the boys had been drinking before they got to the house.  How did she know that?  After the assault, and she leaves the house, does she realize her good friend is still there, left behind as the only girl in a houseful of drunken boys?  Wouldn’t that make this quite a memorable party for the other girl, who somehow had to fend off the drunken boys and get home?

And wouldn’t the other girl wonder what happened to her friend?  (After all, she wasn’t the one who was assaulted and would conceivably have had a clearer head.)  Wouldn’t she call Christine later that night or the next morning to ask, “Are you okay?  You just disappeared –- where did you go?”  And, of course, there’s still the mystery of when and how either of them got home to their respective houses.

After watching Kavanaugh’s sincere, impassioned and at times gut-wrenching denial on Thursday afternoon, it was virtually impossible to consider him capable of committing this crime (and, yes, it is a crime, with no statute of limitations in Maryland).  As for evidence, he was the only one who produced anything tangible:  a calendar from the summer in question that showed how busy he was with other activities in other locations.  No party.  And no one else placed by Dr. Ford at the party can recall being there.

And yet Dr. Ford seemed thoroughly genuine –- with real, lasting emotional pain –- despite the vagueness of many of her answers.  Some of her wording did seem coached, however; I could be wrong, but if memory serves, it wasn’t until the hearing that she qualified her description of fearing Kavanaugh might kill her, adding the word “accidentally.”  That sounds like a lawyerly tweak.  She also had no idea who was paying for what in her legal defense, and I have a strong suspicion her lawyers are deliberately keeping her ignorant of that so she won’t reveal too many details on the stand.  We already knew that both attorneys are working pro bono.  One is Andrew McCabe’s lawyer; the other is a Trump “resister” whose firm happens to have represented one of the other Kavanaugh accusers in a different case.  Dr. Ford insisted she is “no one’s pawn,” but rest assured, she is.

As for evidence, she had nothing except the results of a polygraph that had measured responses to just two very general questions.  Of course, if she BELIEVED what she had put into her statement, regardless of its accuracy, she would have passed with flying colors, even if Kavanaugh is completely innocent.

Perhaps the only way to reconcile Kavanaugh’s raw believability with Dr. Ford’s clear emotional damage is through the probability of mistaken identity.  (If not that, then perhaps an especially vivid dream that got “embedded in her hippocampus”?)  Dr. Ford insists it is not mistaken identify, but how sure can she be?  If her specialty as a psychologist were criminology, she would surely know how common it is.  Consider The Innocence Project, which has brought about the release of 362 (at last count) of wrongly convicted inmates by arranging and paying for DNA tests for men serving long sentences for sexual and other violent crimes.  They say that 70 percent of those who are exonerated were convicted on the basis of wrong identifications.

These mistakes typically occur during lineups or photo IDs, which present different challenges than do cases such as this one, but, in general, witness IDs are notoriously unreliable.  In fact, many of those victims whose testimony puts innocent men away for decades claim to be “100 percent sure.”

The thing is, Senate Democrats are “100 percent prepared not to care” if Kavanaugh is innocent.  They are desperate to keep him off the Court and will do whatever it takes.  Anyone who gets hurt in the process  is just collateral damage.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Veterans Day 2018

Matt Whitaker seems like an EXCELLENT choice for acting AG

What to make of Election 2018

• William Hickman

09/29/2018 09:23 AM

Why lie about something as simple as flying?

• Barbara Stephens

09/29/2018 09:17 AM

Mike,

There are definitely things that do not add up with Ford's testimony that I hope the FBI will check into. If my
    understanding is right, the therapist's notes of Ford were not given to Grassley. Did Grassley ever get the original
    letter from Ford to Feinstein? Last night (9/28) Turley was mentioning about GO-FUND situations whereby some
    are paid to be witnesses (even false witnesses). This was on Fox News. It is said that $300,000+ has been raised
    in Ford's behalf. Would the FBI check on the therapist notes? If Ford is a false witness (just speculating), there
    is reason why she was nervous. Suppose she is reading and telling precisely what Katz and the other lawyer were
    telling her. I feel this is what happened. With Katz' reputation as an anti-Trump lawyer and the fact that Feinstein
    suggested her, it does not look good. Why did it come out that Ford could not fly? She was in Delaware I believe.

• Sandra Bliss

09/29/2018 09:10 AM

I watched the entire hearing and was shocked to learn that Dr. Ford had no evidence - no proof at all to back up her allegations against Judge Kavanaugh. I'm among those who believe the left has devised this entire witch hunt simply to keep Judge Kavanaugh from being confirmed.
    I pray that this will backfire and that conservatives will join in defeating the evils that plague our country at this time. It is not getting better.
    Indeed, the evil is becoming more pronounced when such a man of integrity and character as Judge Kavanaugh can be slandered in this despicable manner. I believe we are at war - truth versus lies of great magnitude. I have one vote, so I am praying hard for God to help America win this battle against evil. Thank you (and your incredible daughter) for all you do for our country. God Bless!

• Norris Harod

09/29/2018 09:03 AM

Sir, you must have friends in the Senate. It is time to fight fire with fire rather than running afraid of the clever plot the Dems have fine tuned. Have the FBI also investigate who leaked the Ford info--all Feinstein staffers, the House member and her staff, etc. Fully investigate the Dem statement that they had a plan to derail Kananaugh and find a whistleblower. Since they are going to continue the Ford investigation too, please have the GOP have their investigators AND FBI quickly re-investigate Ford in detail while the FBI is investigating the new "accusers" and witnesses--ALL under oath. Include her known underage drinking, binge parties and blackouts, girl's conquest club, and anyone who she told she had sex in high school. (Severely traumatized women avoid sex). Investigate her 2012 statement and lie detector test and why she or the person who did the test did not go to the police to report a crime if she told others about it in 2012, and whether she has ever been hypnotized to recall memories. Senator Grassley can introduce these findings as additional evidence Ford may have mis-remembered who attacked her and fixated on Kavanaugh.

• Teresa M Shue

09/29/2018 07:51 AM

My prayer is that ALL Americans wake up and see what is happening here, in government as a whole! When officials do not seem to care how they destroy another human being in order to get what they want, it is a sad day! I am so sorry that Mr Kavanaugh is having to go through this! I do wholeheartedly believe Dr Ford was paid to do this and if this so called FBI investigation does not uncover this it would be a shame!

• Kathy silvio

09/29/2018 07:43 AM

Ford works for a or did work for a company, Corecept Theraputics. They make the abortion pill. I understand she has marched with the pink hats. She is one of “ them”. I truly, as deep down as possible, believe she is lying. Her attornies are billegerant , nasty. She is making money off the public. I’m hoping that FBI investigates her through and through. I suspect the Dems think this is only an investigation of Kavanaugh.

• Kendra Strecker

09/29/2018 04:53 AM

Mike here we sit 24hrs. later with a NEW LIMITED SCOPE investigation that I call # 6 1/2 of a man who was NEVER at that party, even HER friend whom she" wishes well " doesn't remember.. SOMETHING ONCE AGAIN SMELLS BAD KIM CHEE!!

• Brenda Butler

09/29/2018 04:44 AM

I agree with both of the possibilities; mistaken identity or vivid dream. I also thought it interesting when she mentioned during her testimony that she had dated, or “hung out with” for several months, the guy Ed Whelen had named as a possible “true identity” candidate in the article he wrote. I can’t remember the guys name but, Whelen had a picture of him in the article next to Kavanaugh to show how similar they looked, he had a layout of the house the guy lived in at the time that matched the description Ford has given AND the house was within 1 mile of the country club! Made me wonder if Whelen might be correct and Ford either didn’t want to blame him or she didn’t want to believe he did it so she substituted Kavanaugh for him!

• Jack Tomey

09/29/2018 03:55 AM

There are 2 men who have come forward and say they may be the mistaken identity. Also, I believe polygraph tests are not admissible as evidence.

• Dan Paulsen

09/29/2018 01:51 AM

Mike, I hear from the Democrats that Dr Fords witnesses corroborate her story but from conservative sources that the witnesses don't corroborate her story. Which is it?

• Shirley Webb

09/29/2018 01:40 AM

I couldn't help but cringe every time I heard the term "her truth" and there were lot of times, especially from Booker, like it didn't matter if it WAS TRUE but only if she wanted it to be true.

• Barbara Kulwicki

09/29/2018 01:37 AM

This is a circus and the Democrats are embarrassing themselves.

• Victoria Williams

09/29/2018 12:31 AM

As a teenage girl in the 1960’s, I only attended 1 party when I was 16. I remember everything about it including how I got there, where it was and who was there. I also know that I do not know 1 girl or woman, including myself, that would put my clothes on over a wet bathing suit and go to a party. Seriously???

• Tina Mowery

09/28/2018 11:53 PM

I know God will prevail We The People Stand with Kavanaugh He has not had any negativity in his life then all of a sudden The old saying don’t believe everything you hear O don’t believe her at all!! This man is a good man and the more I hear from him the more I see why President Trump chose him

• Stephen Bancroft

09/28/2018 11:13 PM

One point in Dr Ford's testimony that no one has mentioned but seemed odd to me, is "I had a one-piece bathing suit on under my clothes." The best light that this could be put in is that the party was at a home, or near a club, where there was a swimming pool. Perhaps that would help pin down the location of "the event". A worse light for this testimony would be, she knew she was going to a party where there might be boys trying to get in her pants. Therefore she'd better make this hard to do. But if this is the case, why would she want to go to such a party?

On another point: Why can't government investigators track down the leak of her identity to the press. If Feinstein didn't protect this information carefully then it shouldn't be too hard to get to the bottom of this. Perhaps Dr. Ford herself was anxious to "move things along" and was responsible for the leak. If she really wanted to keep things anonymous, why did she share her quandary with friends on a California beach? One of these could easily have been a leaker. Why not ask Dr. Ford just who these people were.

• Linda Radosevich

09/28/2018 10:48 PM

I wished Rachel Mitchell had asked Dr. Ford if she ever 'had a crush' on Brett Kavanaugh.

• Carole Anderson

09/28/2018 10:36 PM

If they are doing another FBI investigation on Kavanugh!!!
    They should do a background check on Ford back through her whole life too!!!!!!
    RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Carole Anderson

09/28/2018 10:34 PM

If they are doing another FBI investigation on Kavanugh!!!
    They should do a background check on Ford back through her whole life too!!!!!!
    RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dot whitley

09/28/2018 09:15 PM

Trump seems to think everybody is a good person at first and I'm very very disappointed in him . Winning a battle for your own party comes by fighting, and I mean fighting hard. Republicans aren't soldiers, and it has been proven over and over. Democrats are wicked , and they fight dirty. I will be thankful if the day comes when men will be able to tell the difference between a decent female and one who isn't. If all this mess ends well I will be very surprised.

I would like to say that Judge Clarence Thomas has been a good judge in my opinion, and I would have voted for him from the beginning, and I still would today .

• wilma faulkner

09/28/2018 08:40 PM

I have a big problem with her story . She was reading her answers from a paper as if it was set up by democrats . I was molested at the age of 8 by a baby sitter and her husband and I can give you every detail . That was 54 years ago . There are no memory blocks . She impressed me as someone who has emotional problems already. I don't think she is innocent in this . It is so sad when we watch our country turn to throwing away our " innocent till proven guilty " rights . And if they get away with this , I fear that this may open the gate to do it to us later on down the road . Matter of fact , I am almost sure it will . Our country has come to a sad point and I thought I would never live to see this happen to us .

• Paula Gates

09/28/2018 08:31 PM

My opinion. If Kavanaugh is to be questioned by the FBI (which he is) Our Potus Trump should be sure to tell them also question Ford n her attorneys especially the one filmed taking an envelope from the congress woman ( why? what? n prove that). Dems want Judge questioned but believe the attorneys?????

• Miguel Briseno

09/28/2018 07:57 PM

Ford, having a PhD in Psychology and being a university professor, KNOWS VERY WELL how to play the minds of others, simulating a "victim's" voice and demeanor. Appearing confident and secure "100%" of her delusions. Some clear-minded people believed her; ALL liberals and some Democrats believed her. She used her profession to fool many. The rest of the skeptical Dems have to simulate that they believe her; they're under orders to destroy truth, honesty and decency. That's their #1 mission.

• Caroline Anthony

09/28/2018 07:27 PM

It seems as if anyone can be framed now, if Soros-supported politicos want to destroy them. I'd like to start a new hashtag: #WE ARE KAVANAGH!

• Angelina Cerini

09/28/2018 07:22 PM

Sad what the world has come to.

Ford's "go fund" account will surely pass a million, especially since this will drag out for another week. "Follow the money "

Sources say 2 men have come forward and said it was them and not Kavanaugh. Feds should look into it.

I question Flake's decision today even more now that he's apparently running for President in 2020. Wonder if he'll be running as a Democrat?

• Jacqueline Dana

09/28/2018 07:20 PM

get so upset when I watch this stuff on tv that I've started to turn it off and just read your views because I know you are honest and trustworthy and don't skew your newsletter to just report one side. Thank you and God bless you and your family.