Among the many nasty surprises buried in the 2700-page “barebones” compromise “infrastructure” bill is a provision to establish a pilot program to examine the feasibility of a national, per-mile “user fee” on all motorists – i.e., a tax on every mile you drive (since Biden hasn’t made driving expensive enough already.)
Democrats are trying to brush off questions about this by claiming it’s not a tax hike, it’s just to study the possibility of a mileage tax in the future that might not ever be imposed. If you think that Democrats will go to that much trouble to workshop a big new tax and then not impose it, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I’d like to sell you.
Here’s more waste stuffed into that bill…
It also includes a piddling $1 billion for a commission headed by Sen. Joe Manchin’s wife…
And blogger Lawrence Person also lists some not-very-infrastructurey items hidden in that bill, from state-mandated carbon reduction programs to racial quotas on broadband.
Person also includes this quote, which every Republican who supports this bill should be required to respond to, from two researchers at the Texas Public Policy Foundation: “It has just $110 billion, or less than 10% (of its spending), for what’s historically been considered infrastructure – roads and bridges. The other 90% is to fund mass transit waste, green energy nonsense and more items that the states or the private sector could do.”
I often wonder, if leftists are really that concerned about carbon emissions, why don’t they stop burning massive piles of our tax money?
Leave a Comment
Note: Fields marked with an * are required.
Comments 1-10 of 44
08/17/2021 10:17 AM
It was a surprise to find that the August 15 Sunday Standard was not in my Inbox. Instead, it showed up in my Junk folder! Of course, that does not happen randomly: some human caused that to happen. Then, after trying to advise you of that message several times, I would get a message that my email could not be sent. Obviously, my Internet provider WOW (Wide Open West) was trying to stop me from even advising you of what they were doing. Now, all of your daily newsletters are going to the Junk folder!
08/16/2021 08:38 PM
A senator from my state, Mitt Romney, politely or diplomatically referred to contents of the "infrastructure" bill as "nontradition infrastructure."
08/16/2021 03:28 PM
And here I thought Joe Manchin turned over a new leaf! Jokes on me!
Ever since he and my dumb Senator, Pat Toomey, introduced the stupidest bill ever in gun control, he’s been on my list. Not the good list.
It seemed for a while he might finally declare he’s really ‘red,’ but, alas, he can turn blue (again!) for all I care.
What’s that old adage...fool me once....? Yep. That was me. No more.
Ira P. Kirkpatrick
08/16/2021 12:52 PM
If the DumbocRATs want to push another deal like the Obama care, where they said "you have to pass it to know what is in it", It should be declared as unconstitutional and trashed. They should be required to read every item publicly and broadcast on tv networks to show the true content and see if their constituents agree with the Democratic socialist one party push and then see what the response is.
I am tired the Democratic socialist agenda for their party buddies and pundits at the expense of the American citizens. Those opposing this should read each item in the floor for public to hear.
08/16/2021 11:43 AM
The more I read into this POS ?budget bill? the more ill I get. I hope the 17 RINO meet their demise come next election if there is a country left.
08/16/2021 11:25 AM
I was really surprised by a recent poll that showed over 50% of Democrats would prefer a socialist government over capitalism. Even the younger set has a similar view. I guess it's not that surprising considering socialism has been taught in our education system for decades now, especially in our colleges and universities. But to be clear, I don't trust the four P's; Polls, Politicians, the Press and Pundits. Just check what they said, wrote and publicized in 2016.
Talk about insanity.. This is a classic case of it. When will this nation wake up!
08/16/2021 10:34 AM
I have heard several on news shows asked why they voted for it and it's always the same. "Everybody wants to fix the infrastructure". Then when pressed they start beating around the bush in politi-speech and your head starts hurting and you never learn anything else of substance. Pitiful.
08/16/2021 07:39 AM
You know, if they gave me ONE BILLION DOLLARS I would at least consider voting for their bill!!
08/15/2021 10:59 PM
Warmonger Biden is ready to sacrifice, your children.......
Prepare your grave site memorial.
08/15/2021 10:04 PM
I'm still scratching my head on about title lV, subtitle C, section 40436 study on impact of forced labor in China on the electric vehicle supply chains, in the infrastructure bill