How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

To paraphrase “The Sound of Music,” how do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?  The Democrats have tried blaming her repeated anti-Semitic ravings on Republicans (for daring to complain about them), calling it a misinterpretation of what she said (she was merely criticizing the business practices of a specific pro-Israel lobbying group, which she plainly was not), and defusing it by passing a meaningless non-binding resolution that says they’re opposed to bad things in the whole general area of prejudice without mentioning any names, of course.

The media have been eager to trumpet those transparent excuses like the good Democratic Party PR flacks that many of them are.  Unfortunately, this requires even the “paper of record” (now a broken record), the New York Times, to make up “fake news” in order to sell the narrative.  Like attacking the pro-Israel PAC that the Dems tried to deflect the heat to with a hit piece filled with inaccuracies, much of it based on quotes from someone who hasn’t worked for that PAC for years.

So what feeble dodge is left to disguise the fact that there’s a growing anti-Semitic far-left insurgency in the Democratic Party, and the old line leaders are too intimidated to call it out?  Well, here’s a new one: Omar simply didn’t know what she was saying!

Inflating this trial balloon was Illinois Rep. Jan Schakowsky, who told an interviewer, “She comes from a different culture. She has things to learn. I am not either trivializing anti-Semitism or the things that she said or saying that it’s okay that she said them, but what I am saying is that I think this is a learning moment for her and a learning moment for the caucus on how to get along.”

Speaker Nancy Pelosi also gave that brand of double-talk a spin, saying, “I don’t think our colleague is anti-Semitic. I think she has a different experience in the use of words, doesn’t understand that some of them are fraught with meaning that she didn’t realize…"

This defense seemed oddly familiar to me, but then I finally remembered where I’d heard it before: the late comic Phil Hartman’s “Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer” sketches on “Saturday Night Live”:

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I’m just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW and run off into the hills, or wherever. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: 'Did little demons get inside and type it?' I don’t know!  My primitive mind can’t grasp these concepts…”

(If you’re not old enough to remember when “SNL” was funny, you can see one of those sketches here:  https://vimeo.com/133414453 )

In other words, she’s lived in the US for 24 years and is savvy enough to use common anti-Semitic slang like “It’s all about the Benjamins, baby” and the Jews have “hypnotized” the world, but she’s from such a sheltered culture that she can’t possibly understand what those words mean or why they might be offensive. If we raise an eyebrow at that, then how dare we be intolerant of her culture?

Will that excuse actually work in real life?  I guess the Democrats are betting that we all have primitive caveman brains.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Marty

03/10/2019 07:33 PM

These muslims we now have in our Congress should never have been allowed to even run for office as long as they were practicing muslims...Islam is not compatible in the slightest with our Constitution...Their long term plan is World Domination and the U.S. is just one more stepping stone...to "fly that black flag over the White House." And to get these people into our political system at this level has been a major accomplishment for them. If these people are allowed to be on the ballot there are enough supporters in this Country to elect them at some level...starting in their little domiciles...where they have refused to assimilate, instead they promulgate...at a staggering rate. Americans, OPEN YOUR EYES....Deceit and lies are totally acceptable to the muslim as long as these devious tactics advance their cause....remember that...LYING IS TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE TO A MUSLIM....

• Marty Hill

03/10/2019 07:16 PM

Enjoyed the Frozen Caveman Lawyer comparison....Keep up the good work...

• Sandra Shoun

03/10/2019 07:07 PM

The Democrat House needs to censure Omar and pull her from the Foreign Affairs Committee. However, because of the collectivism stance of the Democrats, with the exception of a few, they will support her, pretending she is too ignorant to know the gravity and hurt to others.
    Now, they own David Duke and Pelosi is seen as weak. The Democrats are becoming the anti semitic, unAmerican, socialist, and party of death, cheered on by the media. Republicans need to save our country by strongly and loudly condemning these Democrats across the U. S. and beyond.
    I wish you or someone on your staff would explain the realistic differences between socialism and Democratic socialism (Wikipedia and Dems describe it in soft terms) but we know that to "give them an inch, they will take a mile."
    Thank you.

• Judith Hendricks

03/10/2019 07:03 PM

I wonder about all these Dems giving Omar and AOC a pass because they come from a different background or were raised with a different use of words. Shouldn't our Senators and Representatives know our American culture and our use of words? They need to represent our culture and use our words with our meanings. And I also wonder how they got elected to office. Are there that many people in their districts who think as they do? Really?

• Mary J. O'Reilly

03/10/2019 06:57 PM

I do enjoy your e-mails. You have a Calming way with words. I know I'm elderly, but I sometimes wonder if we have been taken over by another planet. When I see the video of Kamala Harris cross -examining Judge Kavanaugh, I cringe at her superior attitude toward this good and decent man. And the list of candidates for President is really alarming. The. very fact that THEY think they are qualified is unbelievable. Something must be done to up-date the qualifications. Keep doing what you're doing. We need you!

• Janis Tobin

03/10/2019 06:22 PM

The Dems have traded their party in for Socialism. The Democratic party no longer exists.

• Alex Hagemann

03/10/2019 06:20 PM

Seems by all the other Comments here, I'm not the ONLY one who feels the same as I do! One said that there were enough Deaf, Dumb, and Blind in the Government now, but compared to those 3.. they're far from it.
    Alex.

• Alex Hagemann

03/10/2019 06:12 PM

How do we deal with her and her other 2 Cronies? Vote her and AOC and the other Foul mouthed one OUT next voting Election! We don't need those type of people in our House of Representatives. Period. Sorry, Gov. Huckabee, but, I don't need to "love" all my enemies or hold them close(r) (as the saying goes) I wasn't raise to be Prejudges and am nice to all races (outside of ours), but I don't have to Respect ones like those 3. I'm sure you'll say something about this in your rebuttal comments, but I'm probably not the only one that feels the same about those 3 mistakes we let get voted in.
    Alex Hagemann

• Ruby Howell

03/10/2019 05:56 PM

She needs to be put out of Congress. She no more pledges het allegiance to America & to serve Americans than a rock can throw itself. The old time Democrats are scared of her & AOC! Pelosi has had her power usurped. She is having to do damage control. The anti - sematic remarks are going to continue. If she violates this new amendment will she be felt with.? I think not. The ones that voted her in have forgotten 9/11. A Trojan horse has been released in Congress.

• Judith

03/10/2019 05:50 PM

And we are to believe the garbage the left is feeding us? Folks she has been here 24 years?! She knows exactly what she says and why. She is most ignorant!

• Jim Blanchard

03/10/2019 05:11 PM

Thanks Mike for continuing to tell it how it is! Keep it up!

• Judith A. Jordan

03/10/2019 05:10 PM

It is dangerous to have people like her in our government and I don't understand how Americans are stupid enough to have voted for her to begin with. Many are favoring the ideas of socialists as well. The younger generation has been taught this acceptance of everything and everybody, live and let live concept of a global world. Seems many Christian groups are even promoting these things as being loving and kind like Jesus was. Jesus is loving and kind, but he is not stupid. He would never tell us to make deals with the devil or play with deadly snakes in the grass. Common sense and discernment from God is seems to be missing. God help us all.

• Rita Sammons

03/10/2019 05:05 PM

Thank you Gov. Huckabee. I look forward to reading you every day, because I feel I can truly believe you. You tell the real story. I’m a Christian who was a Democrat until I was in my 60’s. I went and changed my party when Obama was running the second time. I told the ladies at the C.H. that I was ashamed to be called a Democrat. One of the smartest things I’ve ever done. Keep on telling it like it is. Thank you!

• Robert Gruy

03/10/2019 05:02 PM

YOU MIGHT EXPLORE WHY THE JEWS ARE SO DUMB THEY CONTINUE TO VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS???

• Nancy Phipps

03/10/2019 04:38 PM

2 Corinthians 4:4

in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Seems to me that some of the people just do not want to know what is really going on and others are hiding their heads to the truth.

• Helen Nevot

03/10/2019 04:35 PM

She sounds like a hateful harpy who although she’s lived in the States for 24 years has little appreciation or affection for the USA or our Constitution or Christian values that our country was founded upon.

• Lauris Barr

03/10/2019 04:28 PM

Nancy Pelosi tries to excuse Omar for her remarks saying she is young and probably doesn’t understand the full weight of her words. I say if Omar is old enough to serve in the House of Representatives and legislate for us she is old enough to understand the weight of her words.

• Anthony R Silverence

03/10/2019 04:17 PM

How do you "solve" a problem like Ilhan Omar? You don't. You can't. Reality check. 1) She's Black. Which makes her off limits to any censure, leave alone removal from office. 2) She's Muslim. Cries of Islamaphobia would be heard from Washington DC to California if she even chipped a finger nail responding to her Islamic Terrorist fueled hate. 3) She's a LIBERAL Democrat. That automatically permits her to say whatever she wants and get away with it. No, this piece of human excrement is here to stay.

• Lucyf

03/10/2019 04:06 PM

This isn't acceptable. Democrats has use Tyranny in everything that they do. Pelosi doesn't have control in her party. The sad part they are willing to cheat the system and betray our Constitutional Statues that plainly states what the rules are. We get accused of being Islamophobic because what they are. Here's the thing, it's in their history. Still to this day they want to dominate and kill and enforce their ways here. We don't work this way! Why is she in office? Since 911 we should be learning that there is no way to work with them because of their beliefs. There needs to be some laws enforced and make examples of those betray the US. Those who take an oath the traditional way should be in office. This is how we do things here and not Quran way. Quran is NOT recognized in the US. Why is this OK? Before you know it they will do away with everything America is, our Constitution, freedom, and our way of life. I pray that God will give courage to those who help speak and fight for the American people, and President Trump. This is a fight for our lives!

• Geri

03/10/2019 10:43 AM

Bunch of crap ??. There they go coverings their ass again. Something must be done!
    Stop them before we don’t have a country ??????

• Joan Paup

03/10/2019 08:58 AM

If AOC is "SO" innocent and inexperienced", then WHY did this "poor young and dumb" congresswoman get put on our Government's Foreign Relations Comm?? That is INSANE!!!

• Joan

03/10/2019 08:57 AM

If AOC is "SO" innocent and inexperienced", then WHY did this "poor young and dumb" congresswoman get put on the Government's Foreign Relations Comm?? That is INSANE!!!

• Nathan Paris

03/10/2019 08:55 AM

How do Americans deal with people like Ilhan Omar? Come election time, you vote them out of office. If not by 2020, then 2022. If not then? 2024. Eventually the people may clean up Washington if they stay united.

• Paul Mrozinsky

03/09/2019 09:36 PM

Ilhan Omar is a practicing Islamic/Muslim whose life is determined by the Qur’an. If Ilhan Omar were in any of the countries that are based on Islam she would be dead for her blasphemy of Islam as defined in the Qur’an. To understand the Islamic/Muslims one must read the Qur’an. One must acquire a legitimate PDF copy of an English translation of the Qur’an and read it with the help of the search engine in the Adobe Reader. Read about the Maml?k Dynasty, outside of the Qur’an, that comprised the armies of slaves that won political control of several Muslim states during the Middle Ages. Under the Ayy?bid sultanate, Maml?k generals used their power to establish a dynasty that ruled Egypt and Syria from 1250 to 1517 and extended into Spain. Ilhan Omar will never assimilate into the United States; but will press for the acceptance of Shariah Law that is in the Qur’an. Ilhan Omar committed perjury in her swearing in to the U.S. House of Representatives; because as a practicing Islamic/Muslim she cannot swear allegiance to anyone but Allah. Get yourself an English translation of the Qur’an and read it and understand Islam’s goal to rule the world, which is the goal of the two new female Islamic/Muslim members of the U.S. House of Representatives.

• Stephen Osterday

03/09/2019 09:30 PM

She (Omar) *must* be removed from congress for violating her oath of office and failure to "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. She *is* that domestic enemy!