Evening Edition - May 20

May 20, 2020 |

PLOT TWIST

In the latest twist in the case of Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, his attorney Sydney Powell has filed an emergency writ of mandamus to the DC Court of Appeals to remove Judge Emmet Sullivan from the case.

The writ argues that it is “clear and indisputable” that Sullivan has overstepped his powers in refusing to accept the DOJ’s withdrawal of charges against Flynn, and with his bringing in an openly partisan second judge to try to drag out the trial and make a case against Flynn that the prosecution has already dropped.

Sullivan’s defenders claim it’s not unusual for judges to seek amicus briefs to inform their legal analysis. But Powell argues that it is unprecedented for a judge, who is supposed to perform a magisterial role only, to condemn the defendant in court as Sullivan has, refuse to accept that the charges have been dropped due to prosecutorial misconduct, and attempt to keep the prosecution alive himself.

There are more details at the link. You might have to be a lawyer to understand some of it, but if you have even a rudimentary understanding of justice, then I guarantee you won’t understand it.

"NEVER LET A GOOD CRISIS GO TO WASTE" NEWS

President Trump is threatening to withhold funding from Michigan, which has morphed from a state into a dictatorship ruled with an iron hand and no logic by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, over what he calls an illegal decision to send absentee mail-in ballots to all 7.7 million voters, so they don’t risk exposure to the coronavirus next November. Trump says it was approved by a rogue Secretary of State.

Democrats, naturally, deny that vote fraud exists, but Republicans say mail-in voting is a recipe for widespread voter fraud and a permanent Democratic majority. For instance, Republicans blame ballot-harvesting for flipping several GOP Congressional seats in California. They say that when everyone gets a ballot in the mail, and nobody has to vote in person and show an ID, it’s easy to gather up unclaimed ballots or send operatives into nursing homes and other facilities to fill out ballots for people who otherwise wouldn’t vote and don’t know the candidates or issues.

There’s also the problem of trusting the Post Office with something as important as elections, as Wisconsin discovered last month

…And a study by the federal Election Assistance Commission found that between 2012 and 2018, 28 million mail-in ballots simply went missing. The number is likely higher because some areas, like Chicago, didn’t even respond to the survey. But then, what are the odds of any Democratic voter fraud in Chicago? I’m sure that there, all voters, dead or alive, mailed in their ballots on time.

WHY JUDGES MATTER

Any Americans who have yet to figure out the importance of keeping liberal activists off of court benches are getting a harsh lesson thanks to the never-ending coronavirus lockdowns. Around the nation, citizen groups and business owners have been scoring court victories against unfair and unconstitutional executive orders that violate individual rights and are enforced like laws without the benefit of input from the people’s elected lawmaking representatives.

This happened in Oregon, where a judge declared Gov. Kate Brown’s draconian executive orders, particularly against churches, “null and void.” But then, the state Supreme Court stepped in and put a hold on that ruling. And while the people continue to suffer under her rules, the Court seems to be in no hurry to settle the issue. In Oregon, both the Governor and the Supreme Court Justices are elected. I am skeptical that they will be reelected.

And in Illinois, Democrat Gov. J.B. Pritzker is trying to claim emergency powers as an end-run around the US and state Constitutions, to continue his stay-at-home order for a staggering 150 days.

This comes after a recently-unearthed state Supreme Court precedent showed that he can’t continue emergency powers beyond 30 days without the approval of the legislature. Also, he can’t regulate the behavior of private citizens, only state employees he oversees.

Pritzker’s moves will undoubtedly be met with a barrage of legal challenges. I wish them good luck and Godspeed. Again, it’s a very important reminder to think very hard before you vote for a judge, or for a Governor, or for any executive who might be appointing judges.

PROOF THE DEMOCRATS WERE FIDDLING WHILE THE WORLD BURNED

A large part of what my staffers and I do with this newsletter is just the most basic job of journalism, but one which many media outlets and prominent political figures no longer bother with: research.

For instance, instead of writing about what someone says that someone said, we look up what the person actually said, in full, in the original context. That’s so simple, but you’d be amazed how few people do it. Even Joe Biden, a presumptive major party Presidential nominee, is among the countless Democrats who claim President Trump called the coronavirus a “hoax,” when he actually said the media narrative that he wasn’t taking it seriously was a hoax. To its credit, even the Washington Post debunked that bit of hooey, but it's still repeated to this day.

In fact, in the social media age, once a false political hit is in the media bloodstream, it’s like herpes: it may go dormant for a while, but it never goes away completely, and it always keeps coming back. It can be thoroughly debunked and disappear from mainstream outlets, but within a month or so, it’s already getting resurrected on Facebook and Twitter.

That brings me to this terrific piece by Matt Margolis at PJMedia.com.

One of the most persistent and pernicious fake narratives, as noted above, is the lie that Trump didn’t take the COVID-19 (Chinese) coronavirus seriously, that, as Nancy Pelosi put it, he fiddled while people were dying. If only the brilliant, compassionate, science-embracing Democrats had been in charge, everything would have been different (I believe it would have, but that certainly doesn’t mean it would’ve been better; quite the opposite.) The media love to repeat this canard, because, again as noted above, they have not only become allergic to research, they seem to have the longterm memory of a fruit fly.

Margolis goes all the way back to December 31, 2019, and the very first public notice of a new virus arising (in CHINA.) He then moves forward, day-by-day, giving us a timeline of what the Trump Administration was doing on each day (the CDC began taking action the very next day), and what Trump’s critics were doing over the next few months, up through March 13.

You might be stunned to learn how much was going on behind the scenes because it was barely reported at the time. The media were too busy obsessing over what the Democrats were doing, which was mostly trying to impeach Trump and celebrating impeachment by handing out commemorative pens. Margolis leaves out their other famous actions, such as accusing Trump of racism for banning travel from China and urging people to ignore the warnings and go out to public events in San Francisco (Pelosi) and New York City (Bill DeBlasio), etc.

This article proves that while Trump’s critics (who want you to replace him with them) really were fiddling while the virus burned around the world, his Administration was taking serious actions every day from the very beginning, sometimes multiple actions in a single day. This is a genuinely well-researched piece that you will want to bookmark, share and refer back to often. It’s also the perfect remedy to post wherever you see an outbreak of the “Trump did nothing about the coronavirus!” herpes.

WE CAN GET BACK TO WORK AND ALSO BE SAFE

While it’s important that Americans get back to work, it’s also vital that we do everything we can to avoid getting the coronavirus. It’s not just a slightly worse version of the flu. It not only can be lethal to those in high risk groups, but even for some healthy people, it can be devastating. Check out this report from a male nurse who contracted it. During a six-week hospital stay, he went from being an incredibly healthy, 190-pound bodybuilder to 140 pounds and so weak, he could barely lift his cellphone.

If you’re getting lax on following the guidelines for avoiding contracting it, the before-and-after photos alone may scare you back into compliance.

FROM THE "PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN'T FIRE OFF SHOTGUNS" DESK

From the “People in Glass Houses Shouldn’t Fire Off Shotguns” desk: A Joe Biden aide questioned whether President Trump is “playing with a full deck” after he fumbled TulsI Gabbard’s first name. I probably wouldn’t consider that argument to be my ace in the hole, if I were him.

"I'M NOT A JOURNALIST, BUT I PLAY ONE ON TV

“I’m Not a Journalist, But I Play One On TV”: Watch video of a CNN reporter scolding President Trump for not wearing a facemask at a White House press conference, then taking hers off as soon as she thinks the cameras are off. Why, it’s as if it’s all just “Outrage Theater.”

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Elizabeth Koby-Burley

05/20/2020 08:07 PM

I am a Trump supporter and even I didn't know all that was going on in the background of the impeachment proceedings. I copied it and thank you for providing a link to it so I can pull it out when my FB friends pull the President Trump didn't do anything card. Thank you Governor for all you do for finding and publishing the truth despite the challenges. From a grateful veteran, 20 yr USN retired.

• Linda Dixon

05/20/2020 08:07 PM

Regarding ballot harvesting, as a resident of California for seven decades I can guarantee you the last election Newsome won was fraudulent. I contacted one America News, told them what occurred at my precinct. I was told they had been getting calls all day from both ends and the middle of California. Yes, the left-wingers will do anything possible to turn our country into China.

• KeoniBoy

05/20/2020 07:48 PM

We of the Islands know Tulsi G for what she is: a shimmering mirage, and a demonrat. Nuff said...

• Joyce Birch

05/20/2020 07:46 PM

Gov., you're right I don't understand the justice system. My heart goes out to Mike Flynn & what this judge is putting him through. The prosecution dropped the case & the AG told him to discharged the case. This judge has it in for Flynn. This doesn't seem like justice is being served. Thanks to his attorney Sydney Powell for her perseverance. Would it be possible or feasible for President Trump to exonerate him now?
    Mail in voting would end up being major fraud! If we can stand in lines at grocery stores, etc., I think voters can stand in voting lines. I'm all for ID's & have been using it for sometime in our state, what's the problem?
    I don't think if the democrats where in office when this virus hit, they would have worked as fast as President Trump did. Besides, there would have been double or triple amount of cases/deaths under their watch because they wouldn't now where to start first. Oh, now Gov. Cuomo is blaming Trump because Cuomo is under fire for all the nursing home deaths. The darts are coming from North, East, South, & West, & will get worst as we get closer to Nov.
    Again thanks for your views on all the news. Unfortunately, there is 99% negative/fake media/newspaper reporting & 1% conservative reporting. I saw you a few times on Fox news & I always enjoy your opinion on the topics & your twist with some humor. Keep the good honest word coming!

• James Drury Jr

05/20/2020 07:37 PM

Thanks Mike & Staff.

• Marie Krause

05/20/2020 07:07 PM

Just checking in to let you know that I read and appreciate your email. Especially the scripture. That means a lot.
    I have been fight my own battles over the last two months, and trying to keep in touch with quite a large family at the same time. We normally have a reunion every June. This year was to be really one to be remembered, because my sister passed away in December, and this year, they were bringing her ashes to be scattered in the yard we grew up in. I own the property now, and she wanted to come home. That will have to wait until next year, due to her 5 adult children and families were reluctant to travel at this time.

I lost my 32 year love and companion to cancer 2 years ago, and he loved taking care of my acre. At the age of 77, it has been difficult to add that to my regular chores. Then the real problems started. A hive of bees took up residence in the wall of my mothers old delapidated house, in the kitchen wall. It was just short of impossible to mow that side of the yard, and then a week after I found someone to remove the bees, my water well stopped workikng. My sister brought me jugs of water, and I drove into town to shower and wash my hair for a couple of weeks.

I contacted a water well service, a couple of days after I found someone to remove the bees, and told him I would call him back when the bees were gone. The day after the bee man picked up his box of bees, I called the water well man, and he came out the same afternoon to get my well started again.

Sorry this was so long, but it was really a blessing to have all those other problems weighing my mind down, during the biggest part of this lockdown, but I continued to read your messages, and it sure helped to have someone with common sense to reassure me that God keeps on keeping on, even when the world seemed to have gone crazy. Thank God too, for a huge family to keep in touch with over the phone. I'm the 6th of 7 children and now our family has grown to over 150, with blessings almost every year. I'm the mother of 3 sons, have 8 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. Not much time to worry about a virus, but sure is lonely not being able to hold them in my arms. Thanks again for your daily encouragement.

• RONNIE BRACK JONES, SR.

05/20/2020 07:03 PM

Pastor/Gov./Brother, We are praying II Chron. 7:13-14 twice daily but We as Christians are having a hard time seeing any movement. Most ministers are not speaking of repentance, and the congregation is just “waiting-for-this-too-to-pass”. I’ve turned in my ministry credentials and resigned from everything except church attendance. Can you send us some calming words. God Bless you and yours.

• Robert William Salotti, Jr.

05/20/2020 06:55 PM

So who is Sullivan, being paid by? Soros , Obama, AND , Hollywood Elite, or
    ALL OF THE ABOVE? Enquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!

• Elizabeth Floyd

05/20/2020 06:44 PM

Some good news. I was pleased about Mike Garcia's win in in Ca. even though he will again run in Nov. . Also Melissa Melendez's win in the Ca Legislature, also running again in Nov. In Oregon, Alek Skarlatos (R) will be running against DeFazio (D) in November. And in my "neck of the woods", a policeman (R/I) is running in the Wa. state legislature. He has my vote. I was hoping for a new governor in Wa. state and a new mayor in Portland Oregon. Anyway, some encouragement.
    Also I appreciate your newsletter. I pray for our country and US leaders every day. Thank you.

• Dave Turner

05/20/2020 06:28 PM

Note to Federal government; the Senate, House, & President. DO NOT GIVE CALIFORNIA ANY MORE MONEY. THEY ARE DOING ILLEGAL ACTIVITY AGAINST US & THE CONSTITUTION. WE DO NOT SUPPORT OUR STATE GOVERNMENT GIVING MONEY TO ILLEGAL ALIENS. WE RESENT OUR GOVERNMENT SANCTUARY STATUS, This State has its priorities all screwed up & until they get with the program & take care of the American citizens first they deserve no Federal monetary help of any kind. Our governor already has threatened us that if he gets no money from the Feds, he will lay off law enforcement & fire personnel. This is on top of releasing some reported twenty thousand prisoners from our prisons. This shows you’re the mentality of our leadership. We need to vote out these bastards out of office, but if the Feds continue to give them money, it makes it harder to oust them. Plus we are fighting a corrupt voting & election system. Help us by not giving this State any more money. We need to replace 80% of our elected leaders and the Federal government is not helping by continue bailing us out of their poor governing priorities & stupid policies. Help us citizens by not helping our state leadership. You are enabling our insane & inept leadership.

• Tom Longeway

05/20/2020 06:27 PM

I am crushed and left in disbelief, my father who was a life long Republican is now voting Democrate after he died.

• Marty Jones

05/20/2020 06:26 PM

Very interesting and enjoyable reading as always. If only more so-called journalists would do a tiny bit of research, We the people would be better off. But I do think that the mainstream media knows the truth on all these topics and just ignores it. They get away with their intentional lies because they know there are a lot of viewers (I call them puppets) who will not research and will believe anything CNN or MSNBC tells them. Need proof, just read comments on political articles.

• Lawrence Foster

05/20/2020 06:10 PM

Governor Mike,

Not only did President trump not mishandle the WHO-Han virus, but like everything else during his first four years in office, he did it with democrats trying to hamper his actions.

Perfect example is Nanny Pelosi's behavior in December and January. Many thought she had lost it due to her bizarre behavior, wanting to hold her "impeachment clown show", then holding off to delay it. Then after she got her impeachment vote, she stalled taking the articles of impeachment to the Senate. She and her two yipping chihuahuas Schiff and Noodle then dragged out the proceedings as long as they could, keeping everyone in Washington focused on the clown show until well past mid January.

Her behavior made no sense, until you overlay what was happening in China, and it becomes very clear, Pelosi was stalling for time to help the Chinese ensure the WHO-Han virus spread around the world.

She may have done it knowing their intentions, hoping to destroy our economy and damage the chances of re-election for Trump; or she could have been just doing them a favor without knowing the extent of their plans, hoping that like they did for Bill Clinton in 1996, the Chinese would rain illegal money on her campaign. What ever her reasoning she is a co-conspirator with the Chinese Communist Party in creating the pandemic, and deserves to be punished.

• Sharon Faulkner

05/20/2020 05:55 PM

Sorry Mike but I will not comply with this lesser version of the flu.
    I think these healthcare workers are overbloated. They do the job they get paid to do like everyone else.

• George Morlan

05/20/2020 05:46 PM

I hope you have a way to tell the Republicans to turn off the emails and text messages. Yesterday I received over 200 messages, some so ridiculous as saying that President Trump has noticed that my name was missing from some list. I contribute regularly to Trump/Pence, NRSC, NRCC, my Senator and Representative, and a few others, but I never, never respond to the garbage I have to wade through. It makes me so mad that I may just discontinue all the contributions.

• Michael

05/20/2020 05:46 PM

The time line of what the Trump administration was doing each day or week with the Coronovirus needs to be used in counter ad against MoveOn's false ad. Republicans should be using this information in every media venue they can. But my opinion is the Republican party does a poor job of countering the lies and deception of the MSM and the Democrats, plus phony organizations like Move On. Do the Republicans realize there is a major election in 5 1/2 months? !!!!

• Harry Sax

05/20/2020 05:45 PM

Your comments are so thoughtful and well art

• Jerry Korba

05/20/2020 05:38 PM

If the Left wants to call out people for being a racist xenophobe what would you call a guy that outed a special ops force team that took out the the guy that did something on 9/11. While at a national event in 2011 other than STUPID Sleepy Joe told the Taliban what took its leader out. He put the whole unit in danger and this Moron wants to be our President that gaffe cost over 30 lives. Obama's right hand man I mentioned the other day Obama was very helpful to Iran along with the Miserable John Kerry the 3 Amigos after all of that I am amazed they are still free.

• Donna Merolle

05/20/2020 05:36 PM

Hi Gov. Huckabee - All of your "editions" are informative and educational as well as humorous. I'm so glad I subscribed and have sent copies along to friends in the hope that they too will want to receive your editions. Keep up the fantastic work. Also, my husband and I thoroughly enjoy watching your tv show.

• stephen Russell

05/20/2020 05:18 PM

SBA playing bureaucratic games with loans, for business, Deep State in DC other holding loans back??
    Bad optics, name names. Take to TBN show