Evening Edition - June 23

June 23, 2020 |

A TALE OF TWO RALLIES

Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) are crowing that President Trump’s rally in Tulsa was a “debacle” and a “disaster” because the combination of online dirty tricks, threats from protesters and non-stop scare stories about the coronavirus kept the crowd down to only about 12,000 people, or two-thirds of the arena’s capacity. They say this news and the meaningless early polls showing Biden in the lead bode well for a Biden landslide in November. At this point, a landslide might be the only way to stop all the rioting in Democratic cities.

Well, before they start counting their embryonic chickens, they might want to ponder two under-reported facts:

1. The TV audience for Trump’s rally on Fox News alone was 8 million people, setting a new record for most-watched Saturday night event (and I used to be on Fox on Saturday night, so you can imagine how popular it must’ve been!) Over 11 million more watched it on Trump’s online media platforms alone.

2. Did you even hear that Joe Biden had a campaign event in Philadelphia last Wednesday? He gave a short speech off a TelePrompter to an audience of 20 local officials, business owners and reporters, all sitting on folding chairs inside circles drawn on the floor to insure there was enough social distancing between them.

Is that really a big concern for the Biden campaign? Making sure there’s enough empty space between the people who show up for his rallies?

BREAKING NEWS

Thursday at 9 p.m. EST, President Trump will do a live national town hall hosted by Sean Hannity on Fox News.

VANDALISM SPREADS

Monday, vandalism marred protests near the White House, and the Secret Service went on alert when some protesters tried to tear down the statue of President Andrew Jackson in Lafayette Square. It should be obvious to anyone by now that this is no longer just a protest of Confederate monuments or racism but a full-scale assault on all American history. And its ringleaders are next planning to target churches and religious statues and artwork…

(This is a good commentary on why “all secular/humanist movements seem to create enemies, evil oppressors, that must be totally eradicated” and why they inevitably target Christianity…)

President Trump has had enough of this war on American history and public artwork and monuments, and Democrat-led city officials who are just standing back and letting it happen.

Monday, Trump announced that he would sign an executive order authorizing the federal government to arrest and prosecute anyone who damages or destroys a federal monument, with punishment of up to 10 years in prison. And for the record: this is not an expansion of federal power, or an Obama-like creation of new law by executive order. It’s simply federal enforcement of the Veterans’ Memorial Preservation Act, which we used to be able to depend on state and local officials to enforce, before the Democratic Party embraced lawlessness and vandalism as free expression.

Meanwhile, after Seattle’s occupied anarchist zone experienced two shootings within 24 hours, one of them deadly…

…plus various other incidents of violence, intimidation and criminality, including an alleged sexual assault on a deaf woman…

…Mayor Jenny Durkan seems to have finally remembered why the word “Mayor” is in front of her name. Having first described the anarchist takeover of six city blocks as a “festival atmosphere” and a second “Summer of Love,” and responded to President Trump’s condemnation of it by tweeting, “Seattle is fine. Don’t be so afraid of democracy,” Durkan announced on Monday that the city “will move to wind down” the occupation.

Durkan said peaceful demonstrations could continue, but nighttime disorder had to stop. However, she gave no timeline for the occupiers to go, saying just that “additional steps” would be examined if people don’t leave voluntarily. Well, that’s taking a firm hand. She's like the overindulgent parents that I bet 99% of these people had, who say, “I’m going to count to 10, and if you don’t stop misbehaving…I’m going to count to 10 again.”

If she wants to try some peaceful persuasion to get them to move, I’d suggest taking a tip from the way the US flushed Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega out of his bunker: blast the CHOP zone with extremely loud music. Barry Manilow or Mantovani might do the job, although to make the point crystal clear, I’d toss in Blue Oyster Cult’s “This Ain’t the Summer of Love.”

UN SUPPORTS ANTIFA...DEFUND THE UN

In the war in America’s streets launched by the anti-American radical group Antifa, the UN is taking the side of…Antifa! The UN tweeted a statement (accompanied by the Antifa flag) condemning the designation of Antifa as a domestic terrorist group, saying that it “undermines the rights to freedom of expression and to peaceful assembly in the country.” This may be the most clueless statement since the reporter from MSNBC insisted that the Minneapolis protests were “not, generally speaking, unruly” as he stood in front of a flaming building.

I would ask if anyone is remotely surprised that the UN would stand against America and take the side of a group of violent, communist terrorists, but why in the world would you be?

By the way, the UN quickly deleted that tweet after calls arose for the US to defund the UN. If merely suggesting that we defund the UN works that well to make them stop supporting America’s enemies, imagine how well actually defunding them would work.

THE PRESIDENT BIDEN ERA

During the coronavirus lockdown, when Americans were being told to live off government handouts or risk arrest if they tried to exercise their basic freedoms, the slogan arose online, “How are you enjoying your 30-day free trial of socialism?” In some places, that 30 days seemed destined to stretch on to infinity until George Floyd’s death sparked protests that were quickly hijacked by longtime anti-American radical groups that used it as an excuse for riots, looting and destroying statues that commemorated America’s history. And if you dare criticize this, you risk being branded a racist and “canceled” from your job and society in general

In deep blue areas, just as lawlessness was running rampant, leftist officials were ordering cops to stand down and voting to defund their police departments. This came on the heels of recent moves to left criminals out of jail lest they contract the coronavirus there, and the leftist “justice reform” lunacy that reduces crime rates by legalizing crime (no arrests for stealing less than $700 a day, repeated release from jail with no bail, etc.) The cops were already stretched beyond their limits dealing with all the crooks the Democrats had released into the streets, or welcomed from other nations in the name of “sanctuary.” Now, they have rioters and looters to deal with. Is it any wonder cops are threatening to strike or just quitting outright?

(Incidentally, there are good cops who quit because certain things about policing really need reform, as they explain here.)

So what’s the current scoreboard look like for the success of leftist policies?

As Bob McManus of the New York Post tallies it: over the Father’s Day weekend, there were 102 shootings in Chicago, 14 fatal, including a 3-year-old boy. Eleven shootings and one fatality each, in both Minneapolis and Detroit. Back in New York, there were 18 shootings (2 fatal) in Albany, 12 in Syracuse (including 9 at a single party), and 10 in Buffalo. And in the Big Apple, shootings averaged one per hour. As PJ Media’s Stephen Green put it, “Giuliani’s New York is dead, and Democrats killed it.” New Yorkers didn’t remember that those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it, so they elected disastrous Mayor David Dinkins’ protégé, Bill DeBlasio.

Also in New York City, approximately one of every 10 inmates released from jail has already been rearrested for committing more crimes. To me, that sounds low, but I have to assume it’s not because they aren’t committing crimes, but that the police are too overworked to catch them.

In summation, all of this has led to the coining of a new motto:

“How are you enjoying your free sneak preview of the President Biden era?”

KUDOS

Kudos to Buffalo Bills co-owner Kim Pegula for saying that while she respects the rights of those who protest, she hopes they will respect her right not to join them, because she will not kneel during the National Anthem and the salute to the American flag. As a South Korea-born naturalized US citizen, Pegula said, “The flag for me is very profound. For me to stand for the flag and for the anthem, for me personally, that is a right that I now so much appreciate.”

Isn’t it interesting that American-born players who’ve made millions and American-born owners who’ve made billions don’t feel grateful or blessed enough to show respect for this nation or the people who fought and died to secure those blessings of freedom for them, but it takes someone who came here from another country to tell them how special America is? I didn’t say it was surprising, but it is interesting.

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Jerry Korba

06/24/2020 12:26 AM

Did someone wake Director Wray up? He sent 15 FBI agents to a Garage with a strap on it to pull the door down. The Terrorist that have been burning the cities must be locked up I am sorry Chris Wray I thought you may have been asleep for a while glad you got the terrorists now let's get them put away. Bubba thought he wanted to be a victim of a racist act did he also have a few of his friends try and beat him up while having a few beers with the other drivers? Ah Bubba are you related to the Jess in Chicago or looking for a go fund me account. Wasn't your career as a driver going to well you need some extra prize money what a fraud you and Jess 2 of a kind losers. you are an embarrassment to all people. Whats next you going to tear a monument down. Moron

• Barb Sabin

06/24/2020 12:06 AM

Good evening brother Mike and Governor!!! I haven't left comments in many days because I am very heartbroken and speechless regarding the ANARCHISTS that are running rampant, destroying, and defacing the America that I love!!! I do not for one moment believe these demonstrators are sincere regarding their motives!!! They are acting like Leftist Socialists who are puppets for wealthy evil ones who want to overthrow our total way of life!!! I have only four words to say...GOD ALMIGHTY HELP US!!!

• Gail Ostendorf

06/23/2020 11:32 PM

When I visited Andrew Jacksons home in Tennesee, the historical tour guide told us a story that brought tears to my eyes. While Andrew Jackson did own slaves, it was legal. Apparently not all slave owners were terrible. He had a slave that loved and respected him so much that after the slaves were freed he continued to work for Andrew Jackson. He put in his will that he wanted to be burried next to Andrew Jackson. That slave is now burried next to Andrew Jackson. Perhaps those that are tearing down our history should visit some historical sites and learn about these great Americans instead of pre-judging them. Not everyone is perfect. If they knew better I'm sure many of them would have done things differently. I have been visiting Africa for 20 years. There is more prejudice there between tribes than we have here fortunately.

• Phyliss LaBauve

06/23/2020 11:23 PM

Please read this article and comment if you will:
    Father Moloney has been badly mistreated for speaking the truth. He has said what I believed from the very beginning of the George Floyd incident. I want our public officials to stand up for the truth and stop the pandering that is only fueling the violence.

• Melissa Schere

06/23/2020 11:08 PM

I’m still waiting for someone, anyone, who knows what journalism means, to find out why Ryan Whitaker was shot by Phoenix police last month. I keep hearing that black people deserve justice. I grew up in the southwest, I was taught not to look at a person skin color but to look at the person. At this point I can only conclude that the reason No body camera footage has been released and no investigative reporting has been done because the chief of police is a black woman and the victim was a white man. That is just as disgusting as if it were the other way around. Justice means justice I don’t care if you are purple with pink polkadots you do not deserve to be shot down with no explanation or investigation. Why didn’t the police officers who shot him attempt any first aid? Did they wait to call an ambulance as the witnesses are reporting?
    What happened? We just want the truth whatever it is.

• Patricia Luetkemeyer

06/23/2020 11:03 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee
    I absolutely love your way of making sense and with humor. I am so afraid to see the route our beloved America is facing! I pray for peace and clarity of those who choose to destroy the very things we believe in this country to be good. May God watch over us!

• Margaret Wood

06/23/2020 10:56 PM

HILARIOUS; Thank you for the humor; I needed to laugh with the Lord; some of this also was sad; I never imagined these events would happened in the USA. God Bless You and Your Family
    Margaret

• Jimmy Humphrey

06/23/2020 10:25 PM

These unpatriotic socialist say It’s not about our flag, YES IT IS, ALL ABOUT OUR FLAG. Men and women have fought and died over our flag. Now you bunch of douse bags could care less about their lives. THEIR LIVES MATTER

• Rachel Enriquez

06/23/2020 10:12 PM

The dems played dirty,that's all I can say. Go Team Trump!

• Tim Zahn

06/23/2020 09:49 PM

In my nearly 74 years on this planet I have NEVER seen such disrespect for our president, monuments and our country. In my humble opinion two things are going to take place. Either another Civil War or a nuclear war with N. Korea AND China to end this age of insanity. God must be very unhappy with us RIGHT NOW and He will end it in His way as mentioned in the Old Testament concerning the Jewish people who disobeyed Him. The Old Testament, in my humble opinion, is both a history lesson and teaching lesson about people that disobeyed Him. Those who fail to study history REPEAT history's mistakes and we read what happened to the Jewish people that disobeyed God. IT'S COMING OUR WAY SOON !

• Fank Buckoski

06/23/2020 09:41 PM

Thank You for your work.

• Linda Orf

06/23/2020 09:36 PM

I’m over 65 years old so perhaps my memory is failing me. But if I recall, back in either 2015 or 2017 there was a lot of violence And I recall someone asking when this will all stop. And I can see as plain as day Hillary Clinton said when her party wins either the house or the senate. So whenever Pelosi won speakership, that is when it stopped.
    Is this a repeat on steroids?? They likely won’t stop until they win the Senate and the Oval Office.
    I’m just putting it out there, but I think it needs to stop now. There must be more the president can do. All I can say is, I pray everyone of these lame democrat governors get voted out of the seats they are abusing ASAP.
    We that are on the right side of things feel we need to push back and not cower in fear, and yet... who really has the strength to look these evil thugs in the face and push back? We’d end up the next dead statistic that no one will,pay the price for.

• Linda S. Elliott

06/23/2020 09:35 PM

Once again Gov you have hit the nail on the head. I read your comments both morning and evening every day.
    Several of my friends also read your comments. Keep on keeping on. We need you in this country.
    Linda Elliott

• Mary Mansfield

06/23/2020 09:31 PM

I saw you on outnumbered overtime today. You were amazing.
    When you compared the history of our civilization to an individual’s personal memory, you were spot on.

My favorite takeaway: A culture (a civilization) that doesn’t understand, know or even care about its history is going to be a civilization that is lost, confused and living in chaos....the same would be true if a person were to wake up one morning and have amnesia. Profound.

• Glenda Lagerstedt

06/23/2020 09:25 PM

What a blessing and reassurance this Evening Edition is. In fact, all of your posts carry the same level of the truth...so needed in the midst of all of clamor, confusion and craziness in the world today. Most encouraging to learn that there were so many people watching on TV and online. I sure did online and am very proud of our president. Keep up the good work. You are needed.

• Mark Mittelstaedt

06/23/2020 09:17 PM

Looters used to be punished severely...and now they're on video... How about... I looted a Target store in MN, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt, and a big screen TV, and this bottle of Courvoisier, and this .357, and a bag full of steaks...

• James Drury Jr

06/23/2020 09:11 PM

Thanks Mike & Staff.

• Robert F. Dimlich

06/23/2020 09:02 PM

Our mayors, governors, congressional leaders have a God given responsibility to see to it that all law-breakers are arrested, prosecuted, and given whatever sentence they deserve. If they do not fulfill their responsibility we could end up in a civil war (the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives) to regain the principles on which this country was founded.

• Wanda Barrett

06/23/2020 09:00 PM

How can citizens protest mail in ballots for November elections? How can we protest the riots and thugs tearing down statues?

• Robert Neumuller

06/23/2020 08:57 PM

Mike, thanks for your great incites.
    It is really discouraging to know now that the entire federal government is pretty much corrupt along with a significant portion of the judiciary.
    I don't think that the people who have been exposed will be brought to justice as the justice department appears to be still a corrupt organization.
    I don't think we can recover. Obama started this intentionally and I suspect is still involved somehow.

• Brian D.

06/23/2020 08:57 PM

Mike,
    Thanks for your insightful news analysis.
    I love your humor...I watch your YouTube channel.
    May God Bless you and keep you and yours!

• Molly McDonald

06/23/2020 08:49 PM

Mr. Huckabee, thank you for your posts. I enjoy them and look forward to reading them each day. I will continue to pray for you, our President, our Vice President, our law enforcement, our medical folks, our country, and, importantly, the people who are full of hate that God would touch their hearts. Thank you again Molly McDonald

• Martha J Orlando

06/23/2020 08:49 PM

We should officially defund the UN and require that they move, and move now, off American soil. They are an adjunct to the riots and disruption of our nation, and that should never be tolerated. I'm looking forward to Sarah's book and can't wait to read it! So glad President Trump will sign an executive order to try, and possibly imprison, those who have destroyed or maligned national monuments. My father, bless his soul, would have labeled these actions of the radicals as knee-jerk. He always warned us that nothing good could ever come from this. Boy, was he ever right!
    Thanks for all you do, Governor, for keeping us informed and enlightened!

• jack macdonald

06/23/2020 08:40 PM

The Democratic party should take the new name, the Bolshevik/Marxist/Communist/Social party, the party of anarchy and insurrection. They can use a slogan like: If you like rioting, arson, pillaging, rape, and killing we are the party for you.

• Joan K Mangum

06/23/2020 08:39 PM

Excellent commentary, as usual.