Evening Edition - November 18

November 18, 2020 |

PRAYERS FOR CHUCK GRASSLEY

Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley, who at 87 is the longest-serving Republican Senator, announced that he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is in quarantine. He says he’s feeling good, not experiencing any symptoms and intends to keep working. Nevertheless, I hope you’ll keep him in your prayers that he remains in good health.

WISCONSIN RECOUNT

Latest election update: Wisconsin finished its vote count with Biden ahead by about 20,000 votes. The Trump campaign now plans to pay for a recount in two Wisconsin counties where they believe there were the most irregularities in the ballots. More details at the link.

SHERIFFS SAY NO

Some New York Sheriffs announced that they will not enforce Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s restrictions on family Thanksgiving dinners. They say it’s unconstitutional and wouldn’t stand up in court anyway. One said he doesn’t see how it’s in the public good to devote police resources to counting cars in people’s driveways and investigating how much turkey and dressing they bought. Personally, if I were ordered to be on the lookout for big turkeys, I’d head straight to the Governor’s Mansion.

And in a somewhat related story, the Washington Free Beacon reports that 644 New Yorkers have died of COVID-19 since the day Gov. Cuomo released his self-congratulatory book about how brilliantly he'd handled the crisis.

Overall, New York's latest COVID-19 death toll stands at 33,540, over twice as many as second-place Texas, which has nearly 10 million more people. Incidentally, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott also wrote a book, "Broken But Unbowed," but it's about both his battle to overcome an accident that left him paralyzed and restoring American greatness by bringing the government back to obeying the Constitution.

I think I'm starting to see why so many people are moving out of New York to go to Texas.

NOT GOING AWAY

Our elite classes in government and media seem to believe that if they can only vanquish Trump, they will reign triumphant once again and cement themselves into power forevermore. First of all, even if he loses, Trump's not going away. Second, they have never seemed to grasp that Trump wasn’t the cause of their rejection by the public, he was a symptom of it. He even told Biden in the debates that if he and Obama hadn’t done such a terrible job, there’s no way he ever would have been elected President, and that’s probably true.

In this Twitter thread, Richard Fernandez tries once again to tell them that the people’s loss of faith in their leaders’ competence dated back well before the 2016 election. This isn’t news to me, since I wrote an entire book about how out of touch with America our coastal and DC elites were before Trump even entered politics:

Fernandez warns that more woke virtual signaling at the “deplorables” is not going to convince anyone that our self-proclaimed elites are competent again (based on Biden’s vow to reverse every Trump policy that led to a booming economy, record job creation, energy independence, cheap gas and peace in the Middle East, I think competence is the last thing a Biden Administration would be known for.)

Mark Judge at The Stream has a great suggestion for journalists: get a menial job. Take a few months to go work in a restaurant, hardware store, coal mine, factory, construction site, nursing home or anyplace where working class Americans put in a hard day, sweating for their paychecks.

Maybe if journalists actually meet some of the “flyover” people they constantly talk down to, they’ll learn a few things about them. Like that they’re not racists, they’re not obsessed with politics, and they love America and think it’s working just fine. They want to keep the money they earn instead of giving it to politicians in taxes to redistribute to their pet projects and people who won’t work. They hate bullies who try to tell them what they’re allowed to say and think, and they don’t want to be lectured about ridiculous things that defy common sense, like that a man can become a woman or that illegal immigration is not a problem. I would add that they’d also learn that working class people are not stupid or “low-information voters;” in fact, they are in many ways smarter and far more accomplished than most of the desk jockeys with useless college degrees who mock them.

Also, they might learn the most devastating realization of all: that many Americans view the elite journalist class as a bunch of over-privileged narcissists and “whiny, entitled, half-educated mediocrities.”

SNOPES.COM DOES IT AGAIN

This week, I discovered that the “fact-checking” site Snopes.com had done a piece on my Open Letter to Joe Biden. As usual with these pieces, it was filled with arguable leftwing talking points presented as indisputable facts, while it misrepresented what I wrote. But on the whole, it didn’t really attack my piece too much, because frankly, I don’t think there was anything to attack in it on a factual basis, and I stand by it. Their purported reason for running it was to verify that I actually did write it, since people were posting it on social media without links to the original site in my newsletter.

Here’s a piece of their introduction, with my corrections in parentheses, to show you how “objective” these so-called “fact-checkers” are:

“In the aftermath of the Nov. 3, 2020 U.S. election and Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s projected victory (only by the media, which has no authority to declare a winner), defeated incumbent U.S. President Donald Trump (the election has not been settled so calling Trump a “defeated incumbent” is inaccurate), along with some of his allies and his supporters, promoted unfounded and often easily-debunked allegations and conspiracy theories about electoral fraud playing a telling role in the outcome of the election (while some stories have proved incorrect, there are many such claims which have yet to be “debunked” or proven as “conspiracy theories,” and the jury is still out on whether there was sufficient fraud to have affected the election outcome), which they disputed more than a week after Biden was declared the winner (Biden has not been declared the winner, the stories began appearing as soon as the next day after the election, and Trump declared that he had actually won – also a disputed claim – on Thursday after the election, which is two days, not more than a week.)

Would you like me to drop by Snopes HQ and explain to your “fact-checkers” what a fact is?

Snopes also claimed that my letter included several “dubious,” later debunked claims of suspicious vote activity that I haven't changed. I made it clear there and in subsequent writings that I only report that these claims are being made, I don’t endorse their veracity. I’m not a leftist, so I’m not going to go back and rewrite old news stories. Besides, those claims have already been supplanted by countless others. But whether they eventually prove true or not, the salient “fact” to my article was that they did exist and need to be addressed because they affect the public's attitude toward their government.

The point of the letter was obviously not to endorse every claim of vote chicanery but to appeal to Biden (and by extension, his fellow Democrats) to join in calling for a full and transparent investigation to assure Americans that the vote was honest. Did they not just put us through a two-year, $40 million investigation of their claims of Russian collusion with the 2016 Trump campaign in the last election? And now we know for sure: there wasn’t any. I warned Biden in good faith that even if he prevailed, he would suffer the taint of suspicion by millions of Americans, just as Trump did, if the Democrats refuse to cooperate and keep putting up stonewalls and telling suspicious voters that they’re crazy and to shut up. That’s not good for him, and it’s not good for America as a whole.

There are certain things you learn from a decades-long career in politics that maybe a twentysomething Internet “fact-checker” doesn’t know. One is that once a politician loses the public trust, it’s very hard to win it back. Unlike Google, political leaders don’t have a monopoly. They can’t violate the public trust and sail blithely on, assuming there’s nobody else people can turn to.

And even if you have Google, most of the news media and all of social media on your side to censor any criticism or suspicion of you, you still can’t stop people from thinking it. Not even the most repressive communist regimes, where the government and military terrified people into voicing fake love for Dear Leader, could manage that.

Conservative humorist P.J. O’Rourke used to visit countries behind the Iron Curtain, and he wrote that the first thing oppressed people did when they discovered he was an American was to take him aside privately and tell him the latest jokes about what a corrupt, incompetent bunch of clowns their government masters were. If that’s what you want, then keep telling people they’re not allowed to question their leaders or voice their suspicions of wrongdoing by them

I’ll leave you with one more quote from Snopes that’s actually accurate:

“The main point of the letter appeared to be to ask Biden to ‘put partisanship and political ambition aside and join President Trump in demanding an impartial investigation into the very disturbing allegations of voter irregularities and fraud in Tuesday’s election.’”

Well, they got me there! I actually did call on a politician to put partisanship aside and work across the aisle to reassure voters that the election was honest. The HORROR!!!

• Stephen Russell

11/19/2020 09:13 AM

Trump 2.0:
    IF leave office he can:
    needle media as non before
    File suits for abuse for 4 years & on kin too by media
    Boost GOP more
    Change GOP
    Get more votes for 2022 races
    as Private citizen .
    But wed be stuck with Joe & his backward dated policies

• Jacqueline Novak

11/19/2020 09:13 AM

Thankful for finding your newsletters!!

• Anne Amato

11/19/2020 09:13 AM

Governor,
    Peggy Shelton's previous comment is "spot on"!
    Have been questionning the exact same thing -- why does it seem that only Republicans/Conservative people in our government are getting CoVd?
    Why are our President Trump and Boris Johnson the only two national leaders to become ill with CoVd?
    Why does it appear that no person in the CCP government become ill? Why have no Democrat politicians become ill?
    Exactly why..with all the meetings and presence at the White House...has Dr. Faucci and others from NIH not become ill?
    Could it have anything to do with the $3.7 million U.S. taxpayer dollars given by Faucci/NIH to Wuhan Lab (early in Trump's presidency & of which Trump was probably unaware) for "virus research"?
    Is there an antidote already being secretly given to some high ranking officials while actively targeting others with the virus?
    Challenge: Name one high-ranking or previous Democrat office holder who has tested positive for CoVd.
    Something is definitely OFF!
    "Sometimes it is what is missing that is the biggest clue". (Monk)

• Vernon Thompson

11/19/2020 09:06 AM

Where is the Durham Report?
    Where are Hillary's emails that Pompeo promised before the election???

• JACK L WILLIS

11/19/2020 08:25 AM

Mr. Governor, have you received a reply from Mr. Biden? Do you expect to? Also, I sent in the "definition" of what everyone has been calling Mr. Biden; according to Wikipedia. I did not mean this to say you were wrong in the meaning that you gave before, just that theirs was much different then yours. I trust you more than the Wikipedia site. Have a great day. God Bless you!

• Stephen Mitchell

11/19/2020 08:18 AM

Mr. Huckabee . All that you wrote about " Snopes " , and Joe Biden maybe true , but the Democrats don't really care about the " TRUTH " . They don't give a hoot about your opinion , your believes , your education , your values , or that they maybe made the brunt of a joke . Their mission is to control everything , regardless of how it's achieved . I equate the Democrats to the likes of the C.I.A. If the C.I.A. had a mission to complete , and if one of their " mothers " stood in the way of completing that mission , they would kill her . Do you understand that mentality ? The Hitlers of the world have used that ploy for decades .

• Joan Johnson

11/19/2020 08:14 AM

Just wondering, please? Have any Democrats of any importance gotten the Chinese virus? I only hear of Republicans getting it. Sounding fishy to me.

• Carmine Fea

11/19/2020 07:44 AM

Governor Huckabee, if Joe Biden becomes president, it will be a step backward for the country, back to being run by the same shady, lawless, liars, pay for influence and play connected Washington swamp group we had under Obama. President Trump revealed some of them, ended their corrupt authority and power, and in another four years would have additionally removed them and their corrupt authority and power, a great benefit for the country. What happened? Were we the people not strong enough, too silent, not engaged enough, mesmerized by Trump's huge crowds into believing he surely would be reelected, and did Trump/Trump's close advisers fully, coherently, smartly, knowledgeably rise to the occasion of running against an extremely disciplined, organized, sharp, abundantly funded campaign by the swamp group having years and years of shady, corrupt swamp experience over Trump? Only months before the election, Trump's incompetent campaign manager, in the job for too long, was fired.

• Connie Hamrah

11/19/2020 07:44 AM

Praying for Senator Grassley.
    Connie Hamrah

• Jerrie zz

11/19/2020 07:31 AM

Isn't there someone over Biden that can let him know that he has not won? If he is breaking the law (the constitution), why isn't someone doing something about it until all of the votes have been counted? Shut him up! I am sick of listening to him stand on TV and telling 'we the people' what he is doing to better my country. He is showing me he has NO RESPECT for our country nor our constitution acting like this. He does not deserve to be President AT ALL disrespecting my government. God is still in control, but, someone needs to shut him up, he is lying to us again with his mouth.

• JC Holland

11/19/2020 06:51 AM

Governor, your suggestion that all these journalists go out and work a menial job for a while to see what real Americans' are will never work. These people know that already. They are bought and paid for Soros socialists. They know exactly what we are and what they want.

The only way to turn MSM around is for conservatives to buy one or more of the networks, take control, and hire real journalists.

• Jerry

11/19/2020 06:44 AM

How many people in the United States trust the CCP Trump was negotiating trade with China while doing so The CCP unloads a killing virus on the world and this country elects a CCP favorite for president that in its self is unbelievable again if the fbi is not investigating the fraud in this process change in leadership is required and charges of being complicit should be ordered

• Peggy Shelton

11/19/2020 06:27 AM

We have been wondering why so many of our Republicans have been getting the Coronavirus.
    Especially the ones in key leadership.
    Have I missed it but I’ve never read anything about the Democrats getting it. Is there someone targeting the Republicans and not the Democratics?

• Jerry korba

11/19/2020 06:27 AM

From the set of the planet of the apes big mouth cuomo opens It’s mouth lies and anger flows out over school shut downs the two dunces from ny showing again how primal they really are

• Nancy McNeely

11/19/2020 06:27 AM

A very good read this morning...
    How I pray for Our President...

• Nancy Arnold

11/19/2020 05:03 AM

I hope that Michigan’s election gets more scrutiny. Our Secretary f State LIED when she said windows were covered because Trump supporters were yelling and trying to disrupt the poll workers. In fact, legal poll watchers were prevented from being IN THE ROOM and were orderly outside when windows were covered preventing them from seeing what was going on inside. Our S of S is - of course - a democrat and another pawn.

• ruth egan

11/19/2020 03:59 AM

Thank you for speaking the truth.

• Jeff Wressell

11/19/2020 03:06 AM

Thank you Mike !

• Margaret Murray

11/19/2020 02:13 AM

Apparently democrats can loose the public trust and sail right on...the names Bill & Hillary, Obama, Diane Feinstein, Maxine Waters, Adam Schiff and Kamala Harris ring a bell (to name a few)...

• Cindy dee

11/19/2020 01:41 AM

Dear mr huckabee, regarding the republican legislators in Michigan. Truth has no color. It’s not black or white. It’s not right or left. It’s clear. It’s light. It’s beautiful. It’s perfect and it’s simple. These legislators aren’t racist for speaking the Truth! But they’ll regret every single day for caving to the lie. May God forgive them. ????

• Robert Qualls

11/19/2020 12:44 AM

TO PRESIDENT TRUMP, I quote hillary: "Never concede, never concede!"

• Jay

11/19/2020 12:34 AM

O Lord:
    I love thee n offer my prayers for the well being of ALL HUMANITY from sickness of every type (,) Amen

19.11.20

• Donna James

11/19/2020 12:19 AM

Praying for Sen Grassley and for President Trump. And for those MI rely so and their families. Thanking God for you Gov Huckabee

• Marcy Peterson

11/19/2020 12:01 AM

Yes! Amen! Very well said and I appreciate you so very much!

• Anne Turner

11/18/2020 11:50 PM

Relative to the deplorables: I am pleased to be one despite having a couple of degrees. I have a number of service providers working in my home and yard, doing yard maintenance, house cleaning, repairs, etc. To a man, and sometimes a woman, these folks are hardworking, intelligent and conservative. Some are Black and Hispanic. They are hardworking, intelligent, and conservative. They also tend to be quite well spoken. In today’s world those who provide services are often highly technically trained. They may not have a college degree, but they are fully aware of what goes on in government. Frankly, they are in many ways more astute than many of my highly formally educated neighbors. These folks understand economics. They may not know the latest in academic models, statistics, etc. but they know what it is to make ends meet, raise a family, educate their children, and maybe be able to put a little away. I have not heard racist remarks and often the teams are mixed. They seem to get along just fine with mutual respect. Amazing don’t you think? They treat me with respect, as I do them. These are fine Americans and no way do they deserve being characterized like the Dem elitists have done.

A proud deplorable,