Evening Edition - July 28

July 28, 2020 |

"HEALS ACT" UNVEILED

Monday, Senate Republicans unveiled their proposal for a new round of coronavirus relief. It’s called the “HEALS Act” (Health, Economic Assistance, Liability protection, and Schools.) The $1 trillion package would include a second round of $1200 stimulus checks and more Paycheck Protection Program funds to keep businesses afloat. Federal unemployment benefits would be extended, but at an extra $200 per week. Democrats want to continue the extra $600 a week, but critics say that’s paying low-income workers more to stay unemployed than they’d make if they went back to work. There’s also $105 billion for schools to reopen safely, which is more than House Democrats voted, but then, I wonder if they want schools to reopen at all, at least before the election. There are more details at the link.

The bill is being touted as a negotiating starting point with House Democrats, who voted to spend $3 trillion, or three times more than the Senate bill. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell provided us all with some much-needed laughter by saying, “I hope this strong proposal will occasion a real response. Not partisan cheap shots. Not the predictable, tired, old rhetoric as though these were ordinary times and the nation could afford ordinary politics.”

Naturally, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer immediately responded with cheap shots and predictable, tired old partisan rhetoric. He blasted the HEALS Act as “totally inadequate” and accused Republicans of wanting to “take $1600 out of your pocket every month” (actually, they just don’t want to keep placing $1600 of someone else’s money into your pocket every month indefinitely, which isn’t the same thing.) He declared that America has been standing on the precipices of several cliffs for months, and the Republicans have done nothing.

If I were him, I wouldn’t use the metaphor of standing on the precipice of a cliff and insisting the Republicans do something. They might stop listening and just start fantasizing about what they’d like to do in that situation.

BARR GOES BEFORE THE HOUSE

By the time you read this, Attorney General William Barr will have appeared voluntarily before the House Judiciary Committee, to offer real statistics on crime, race and police killings and to set the record straight on the “Russian collusion” hoax. He’s already released the transcript of his opening statement, which you can read here:

And here’s more background on what this is all about:

Rep. Jerrold Nadler is the chair of that committee, and he and his Democratic colleagues have been slinging a lot of slander and innuendo at Barr, engaging in the time-dishonored leftist tradition of accusing the right of doing precisely what they’ve been doing all along: the Attorney General acting as the President’s “wing man” and politicizing the Justice Department to target the President’s political opponents (which could have been the motto of the Obama Administration.)

Nadler should have borne in mind the old saying, “Be careful what you ask for; you might get it.” Barr will now have a chance to confront his accusers face-to-face on national TV and offer a fact-based rebuttal to their claims, and as we saw during the impeachment hearings, that doesn’t work out well for them. Barr is expected to outline the real treasonous activity from the other side that created the ginned-up “Russian collusion” coup attempt that they’ve been flogging without evidence for three years, and perhaps outline some of the federal crimes committed in the process, and, let us hope, the federal charges that should be forthcoming.

Barr also plans to acknowledge that there is a long history of racism in law enforcement but that there has been great progress in recent years. He will note that police forces are more diverse than ever, police shootings are down, more unarmed white than black suspects are shot by officers, and those were mostly while the suspects were attacking the officers. He also will argue that the greatest threat to black lives is not police but crime: every year, 7500 blacks are murdered, 90% of them by other blacks, mostly by gunfire, and every one of those lives mattered. Removing police will only create a snowball effect, increasing gang violence, bringing in drugs, snuffing out job opportunities and making those neighborhoods unsafe for children.

This is called a “hearing,” but as with most House hearings these days, I imagine there will be a lot more talking than there is listening. Barr surely has little hope that those who’ve been attacking him care to hear what he has to say; they’ll just be chomping at the bit to get their air time and launch into another partisan diatribe. Let’s just hope that despite what I’m sure will be a thick media filter and selective editing to misrepresent his words that enough Americans will watch the whole thing live for the truth to leak out.

NOTE:  This hearing has already occurred.  More from me to follow on what was said!

COVID POWER GRAB AND DEFLECTION

I already told you about how bars in New York cleverly got around the re-shutdown over COVID-19. Gov. Andrew Cuomo required bars to serve alcohol only if it came with the purchase of a food item, the idea being that people wouldn’t crowd into bars and socialize if they had to buy food. So bars started offering $1 “menu items” like chips, wings, a single slice of cheese or fries (dubbed, hilariously, “Cuomo fries.”)

Of course, if there’s one thing liberal micro-managers hate, it’s people figuring out ways around their arbitrary regulations. In a press release that reads like something out of a “M*A*S*H: rerun, the State Liquor Authority declared that bars must offer sandwiches, soup, or “other foods,” defined as “foods which are similar in quality and substance to sandwiches and soups; for example, salads, wings, or hotdogs would be of that quality and substance; however, a bag of chips[,] bowl of nuts, or candy alone are not.” As Cuomo himself railed at a news conference, “More than just hors d’oeuvres, chicken wings. You had to have some substantive food — the lowest level of substantive food were sandwiches.”

Okay, let’s step back for a moment and take in the big picture. Gov. Cuomo is dealing with a contagious and potentially deadly disease. His state and his own actions, such as putting patients in nursing homes and threatening to sue any states that barred New Yorkers from coming in and spreading it elsewhere, have been largely responsible for the lion’s share of US fatalities. He did nothing to stop all the protesters crowding into the streets, events that were followed within two weeks with a surge of cases.

But now, he’s devoting his time and energy to dictating bar menus and arguing that somehow the pandemic will be stopped in its tracks if bars are forced to offer sandwiches or some foods he deems more “substantive” than a bowl of nuts. I will helpfully add that a sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal. Also, the entire leadership of New York City and State are a bowl of nuts.

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE BACK IN THE NEWS, WELL SORT OF

Yesterday, doctors from across America held a summit on COVID-19 (Chinese) coronavirus on the steps of the Supreme Court, and what they had to say upended a lot of media and political narratives. For instance, that it’s time to reopen society and get kids back into school.

Here’s the entire summit, which I warn you is three hours, but at least it’s not misleadingly edited…

And here’s the transcript

Videos of the doctors’ comments were removed from social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube because they allegedly made “false” and “misleading” claims about the treatment for COVID-19, such as arguing that in their own experience, Hydroxychloroquine is effective when given very early on with zinc and the antibiotic zithromax. Texas Minister and Doctor Stella Immanuel said she has treated 350 patients and counting with it, and none died. She called the studies showing it’s ineffective and has deadly side effects “fake science” in which the drug was given to late-stage patients and in far greater doses.

President Trump retweeted a video of Dr. Immanuel, which was like kicking a beehive for the media. They went into overdrive attacking him, the drug and the doctors, and writing stories emphasizing the “spreading false claims” phrase – none of which explained why the tech geeks who police social media would know more about this subject than doctors who’ve actually treated thousands of patients. Dr. Immanuel says she’s received threats, including from other Houston physicians against her job and medical board positions. A friend even set up a GoFundMe page to help with her legal fees: https://www.gofundme.com/f/dr-stella-immanuel039s-legal-team

I’ve said from the beginning that I’m not a doctor and I take no position on whether Hydroxychloroquine works. I’ve heard that clinical trials say no, but there are also many doctors who’ve used it and claim it’s effective, and that the trials were flawed. The problem is that politics (“Trump endorsed it so we must destroy it to prove that ORANGE MAN BAAAD!!”) has completely poisoned the well.

I’ll just leave you with this: USA Today ran an article claiming that a Michigan study that found it was effective was flawed and shouldn’t be believed (the article conveniently failed to mention that the study that got it barred by the FDA was retracted and the Lancet apologized for running it.) But here is their story attacking that study.

And here’s a Yale epidemiology professor who believes it could save up to 100,000 lives, but unfortunately, there’s a “propaganda war” over it, based on politics, not medical facts.

Finally, nobody is going to force you to try the hydroxychloroquine combo if you believe the media. I’ll even offer you an alternative. The biotech giant Moderna is beginning a trial of a potential COVID-19 vaccine. They’re looking for 30,000 volunteers. Have at it.

TODAY'S EXCUSE

And today’s excuse for Joe Biden not debating President Trump is…(spin “Big Wheel of Excuses” and it comes to rest on…) “The coronavirus!”

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Janet Underwood

07/28/2020 11:52 PM

I don't know if you are reading comments or why there haven't been any comments to your newsletters for a few days now. I sure hope you're still taking comments because things just got really scary today, what with the "Information Cleansing" (aka Censorship) on the Internet today. It appears that all that will be allowed on the Internet now will be articles and comments that are approved by the new Democrat Antifa party. Is this how America dies?

• Nancy Salem

07/28/2020 11:15 PM

The hearing by Nadler was a farce today. The Dems wouldn't even let Barr finish his answers. This has to be revealed to the public. And removing the video by the Drs. is a complete travesty.

• Dennis Sanders

07/28/2020 10:30 PM

Why are the US Marshals not using water trucks to disperse riots?

• Gale Young

07/28/2020 10:12 PM

I am totally scared at how we are going to repay all of the money already spent. Taxes will increase however no one has the Gumption to point out that what we are spending right now, and the democratic pipe dream is only adding to the debt ratio to the GDP how many 100's of years will it take to cover the democratic dream. I have to live within my means however the federal government is living on borrowed & newly printed money. This insanity must stop, you should not receive more money on unemployment than when you work. Also personally we have not received a stimulus check (My Wife Donna and I are retired) we sold a rental property (encuring capital gains boosting last's years income above the threshold ) I had the property for over 20 years, is that fair? Yes, yes to support the greater good we do not need a stimulus check it would have paid for airfare to an exotic island. We had forethought to plan our future. Do the Democrats in Washington have any forethought? In my mind no, look forward 15 years at the debt ratio and imagine what the tax rate will be if they ever decide to act on it Washington needs to accept that the United States government is broke (right now in 2020) & can not survive on credit. Look at what happen to Russia and Venezuela.
    Ok I'm off my soap box thanks for listening/reading,
    questions, howw are we going to fund SS, Medicare Medicade, & still keep America great with the trend towards socialism? Look at all the "great" socialist country's that have failed America needs to wake up. Pay your bills on time and within your budget
    "Wolfe'"

• Elizabeth Honaker

07/28/2020 09:58 PM

Don't these naysayers have anything better to do than to take down TRUTH? Er...I guess not. After all, these people are RICH and well-protected -- and certainly have the MONEY to quietly get the best in medical care, should COVID-19 dare to "occupy" their seats of power. I wonder how many of these snowflakes have secretly consumed this "Trump drug" to keep their Big Mouths operating!

• Bettye Martinez

07/28/2020 09:49 PM

Trying to get Bill Barr in corner is like trying to put a bull in a china cabinet, it ain't gonna happen!

• Don Endicott

07/28/2020 09:19 PM

y wife watched much of Barrs "hearing" and said she got tired of them asking a question then not allowing him to answer. t is no wonder to me that there is so much confusion about the China virus when the media spins everything, doctors do not agree with what will work or what should be done. Too much seems to depend on politics. We are disgusted and have stopped watching much TV because it gets tiresome withthe spinning.

• Kim Yochum

07/28/2020 09:00 PM

Hello. I am terribly offended at everyone saying that those of us on unemployment are slackers. I have been working since 1975. I have 26 yrs with Disney at WDW. I am a Secretary. Also a single, white woman. I was furloughed in April with no return date (last news was maybe 2021 return). I did not make more money collecting $275 per wk from FL DEO. Not even with the $600. I cannot afford now to live on $275 per wk. I am 63 yrs old with rent and bills. Right now I am trying to plan an early retirement as that is my only choice. Disney is telling us nothing. I really resent everyone calling me a slacker. I am stuck in corporate limbo! I have a job but cannot work! Everyone calling us names is not fair!

• Jimmy Humphrey

07/28/2020 08:48 PM

HOW CAN WE REMOVE THIS TRAITOR FROM THE SCOTUS.
    We should have done away with him after he voted for obama care. Maybe we should follow the money??

• Floyd A Unger

07/28/2020 08:44 PM

Well I don’t have the “Chinese Virus” ?? but maybe I should try that “Hydroplane” stuff.??

• Richard Boultinghouse

07/28/2020 08:32 PM

"Bowl of Nuts", I think that was outstanding.

• Orlando Costa

07/28/2020 08:29 PM

I am 68 years old and came from Brazil 15 years ago to become a proud American.
    The democratic party is exactly the same as the Brazilian ones ; they have no compromise in helping the poor , it's all about " buying votes through social benefits "

• Nonie Jobe

07/28/2020 08:15 PM

Mike, I love your newsletter. That's where I get 90% of my daily news. I know I can trust you, because you and your staff continually fact check; and if you do make a mistake, you correct it immediately. Question: What fact-checkers do you use? My liberal brother is calling me on some things and claims he has fact-checked them with Politifact, because it is non-partisan. Can you steer me toward actual non-partisan fact checkers? Thanks so much!

• Marty Jones

07/28/2020 07:58 PM

I couldn't watch the Barr testimony for very long. I just hope that the thousands and thousands of "old school Democrats" watched it. Only an idiot could think that the Attorney General was not answering questions. There has to be some law out there that would prevent the Democrat Reps from actions like that. I will always support the rule of law over anything any Democrat says.

• Robert Earle

07/28/2020 07:54 PM

This article's charts from Johns Hopkins U should give pause to anyone who says hydroxychloroquine doesn't work. https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/stacey-lennox/2020/07/15/media-should-do-a-mea-culpa-as-french-analysis-offers-a-stunning-observation-about-hydroxychloroquine-use-n643181

• Allen Barnett

07/28/2020 07:46 PM

A question. WHen President Trump is re-elected, what is your view of the riots that are happening now? Will they be brought under control or will they get worse?

Thanks for considering this question.

Allen

• James Drury Jr

07/28/2020 07:37 PM

Thanks Mike & Staff.

• Gary Stilwell

07/28/2020 07:33 PM

Barr's "testimony" was effectively "barred" The socialists(there is no more "democratic" Party in existence)asked questions, then proceeded to shut down any response from the AG. They asked, then launched into a diatribe answering their own question in terms of anti-trump rhetoric. If Barr tried to actually give an answer the socialist questioner actually(in some cases) began screaming at the man, talking over any response he was trying to state---Personnaly, if I were this man I would have stood up and told the questioners that if they didn't want to hear my answers, I was leaving.----I also would have sorely been tempted to raise my middle finger to the whole lot of them.
    nadler---you know the ringleader in this debacle,-(no clue as to parliamentary Law)-is essentially characterized by "tweedle dumb"--he prob needs to have his body mass index assessed and published just like the President(needs to take the 'mental acuity test as well)

• Linda Wolfe

07/28/2020 07:28 PM

GOD have mercy on America. "Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous " Ps 31:18

• Chris Dahl

07/28/2020 07:23 PM

Conservatives need to grow a pair and quit taking a backseat to the demonrats, check out the Dinesh video on YouTube

• Aline Oary

07/28/2020 06:57 PM

If hydrochlorquoquinine was made over the counter, the covid-19 predicament would be OVER within 2 weeks. People would take the meds like they do for a cold or other respiratory illness. It would cut down the cancer rate as well. Please send on to the Health and Human services, Homeland security and the President.

• Sidney Lee Patin

07/28/2020 06:54 PM

The “HEALS Act” (Health, Economic Assistance, Liability protection, and Schools) is a terrible mistake. It continues the dependence of the citizens on the government. It does not say where the money is coming from to pay for it. There should be no spending bill unless the bill sponsors state where the money to pay for it is supposed to come from, and it should not come from increased taxes on anyone, or from loans of the government.

• Anne Turner

07/28/2020 06:52 PM

As long as the appointees commit no crime or are guilty of ethical miscount, Presidents should be able to surround themselves with a cabinet and other advisors that support the current administration’s agenda. That’s what elections mean. This has always been the case. The operative term is ethical. Let us be reminded that POTUS put Fauci and Brix right out there even if he did not always agree with them.

Of course the Dems don’t want Biden to participate in debates. It is becoming obvious that he would not be able to hold up his end. I actually feel sorry for the man. It is frankly abuse to put anyone into this position who is not really sharp, and so obviously slowing down mentally and lacking energy. Trump is up in years also, but his mental agility and physical energy are unbelievable for even most younger people. Yet, people view Biden as mister nice guy and that is what they are looking for to calm things down. I don’t think it will help with the riots. These folks don’t really care about Mr. Floyd or black lives, for that matter. They are just spoiled brats who enjoy destruction and that feeling of power. It is Like rape, that is really not about sex but about power. But then when things go bad after Biden is elected, his party will just say that it will take awhile to clean up the mess created by the orange man. Don’t look for TDS to go away quickly.

I do fear that if by chance T wins a second term, there will be more riots and even worse pushback. Impeachment proceeding will start all over again. The push for tax records will accelerate. In companies amd personal holdings as large as Trumps internal and external audits are continuous. You would have members of Congress, who can’t keep up their personal checkbooks, pointing out nits in these records continually.

• Tim Morrison

07/28/2020 06:48 PM

I just now (5:40PM CDT Tuesday July 28, 2020) tried to open the YouTube link for the medical summit held on the steps of the Supreme Court, and it has been removed - "This video has been removed for violating YouTube's Community Guidelines." Following the transcript link is still fruitful, but the following warning precedes the transcript, "Warning: This press conference has been flagged & taken down by multiple social media platforms for containing “misleading” or “false” information. Rev does not condone the use of any COVID-19 treatments outlined in this press conference." I can understand the warning, but struggle with the censorship YouTube has chosen toe exert.

• Joan King

07/28/2020 06:46 PM

I watch your program and record it also, so I don't miss it. I also get you in my e-mails and I always look forward to them. I know you love Jesus and I know you tell it like it is. I pray for President Trump and our country each day. God is still in control and I feel He has his hand on Donald Trump. The Lord didn't say thing would be easy He just said He would be with us. Donald Trump is a new christian and we can't expect him to act like a seasoned christian like some of us old timers are.