Okay, I admit it: I was wrong. I thought nothing could make the Democrats look worse than their disastrously incompetent Iowa Caucus debacle on Monday (it’s Wednesday, and we still don’t have final results.) But then came their behavior Tuesday in front of the entire world during President Trump’s State of the Union Address. I stand corrected.

Any independent voters who might still have been remotely considering putting them in charge of anything more complicated than a snowcone machine had to be shocked and repelled by their ugly, divisive, nasty, childish behavior that not only expressed visceral hatred of the President but of everything he does, no matter how much it helps America or the people or causes they claim to support.

But before we get into the reaction, a few words about the speech itself, which I thought was magnificent. (If you missed it, you can watch it here in its entirety, and you definitely should):

Many conservative pundits are calling it the best defense of conservatism since Ronald Reagan, but that’s not accurate. It’s the best speech since Reagan, but unlike many conservative speeches, it wasn’t a defense. Why should a system that works everywhere it’s tried need to be defended, especially when the alternative is a system that’s brought nothing but poverty, misery, starvation, oppression, corruption and death everywhere it’s been tried? Too many conservatives approach the subject from a defensive posture, thinking they have to respond to the blatant distortions of conservative beliefs (“Sexist! Racist! Hater!,” etc.) that the left hurls because they have no other arguments to stand on.

No, in addition to the inspiring language of Trump’s speech, it was so effective because he went full-tilt on offense. He didn’t enter the Chamber showing any weakness or understandable exhaustion after the three-year failed “impeachment” jihad against him that should meet its long-overdue demise today. Instead, he launched a forceful, unapologetic case for conservative principles because they WORK. He backed that up with one undeniable fact after another, from the booming economy and job creation that’s helping every demographic group to the drop in illegal immigration to the rout of terrorists and the reclaiming of American leadership in the world. To make it even more explicit, he called out the failed philosophy of socialism to the faces of those who seek to make it chic, and even introduced the man who’s trying to save Venezuela from its deprivations, that nation’s legitimate elected President, Juan Guiado.

And on the subject of guests, that recent tradition has never seen a more moving and inspiring selection of guests, including 100-year-old military hero and Tuskegee Airman Brig. Gen. Charles McGee and his great-grandson who wants to join the new Space Force; a military family being surprised by the return of their dad from deployment; and an emotional Rush Limbaugh, fighting stage 4 lung cancer, being presented with (and apparently very surprised by) the Presidential Medal of Freedom from First Lady Melania Trump.

Best of all, Trump made his speech about America more than about himself (when one commentator said Trump never used the "I" word, referring to "impeachment," I assumed he meant Trump didn't say "I" repeatedly, like Obama) He made it clear that while he cares about the world, he sees America as the exceptional nation it is (the “shining city on a hill,” to quote Reagan), he loves America and will always put American interests and the American people first. Trump sees himself as a proud American, not a “citizen of the world.” It’s something we used to expect of every President, but after years of American politicians badmouthing their own country and bowing to the UN or some other global governance movement, it now appears downright revolutionary. And incredibly refreshing.

• Mary Kathleen Mcneill

02/06/2020 05:57 AM

Good Morning Mike,
    Your two most recent emails have given me clarity. So much so I have posted them both on my Facebook page. To my friends and family
    There are all kinds of news sources out there on President Trump. However, my favorite updates come from Mike Huckabee who I tend to trust above all the news sources. I get daily news overviews, updates, and fact-checkers. See below for today's update.
    Ok, I am posting one more of my emails from Mike Huckabee. Then I will stop. My friends and family if you wonder why I support Trump if you really want to know read this post and my previous post from Mike Huckabee. If you don't understand once you have read them then you never will. I will continue to respect your right to believe and support whoever you want. But I will continue to support Trump.
    Thank you, Mike. You touched on so much in the emails you sent today and yesterday. It allowed me to clearly state why I support Trump.
    Kathy McNeill (New Hampshire)

• Duane Stanley

02/06/2020 04:41 AM

Couldn't agree more! It was a remarkable speech and adding some of the American people and the President of Venezuela was a breath of fresh air to the ceremony.

• Robert Allen Roesing

02/06/2020 03:38 AM

may the Lord OUr God bless & keep America safe! AMEN!!!! down with democrats period !!!

• Linda Olds

02/06/2020 01:48 AM

I agree with everyone's comments about President Trump doing a wonderful job, and the Dems being incompetent, spiteful, childish, etc.
    I would add that the Dems would not be able to do these things if the media was not enabling them.

• Renee Kendrick

02/06/2020 01:21 AM

Trump shared with the nation and the world what the media has refused to share in the last three years! He delivered a fantastic speech with utmost confidence. He was very diplomatic as well as patriotic and compassionate as he spoke. He went above and beyond to recognize people of this nation. His speech served as his resume for retaining the job of President for the next four years. The Congressional Democrats are so caught up in tasks, power, and control that they have missed the people, especially those outside of their "elite clique", which is most of the nation. Trump is a businessman that the Democratic politicians don't know how handle. He has done his job and has done it well.

• Arthur B. Morse IV

02/06/2020 12:24 AM

I thought it was a fantastic speech and really showed how much our president cares for this country and it's citizens. It also showed the complete lack of regard for the American citizen by the left.

• Edward M Barber

02/05/2020 11:34 PM

The " Next" button in the comments section does not work. I can only read the first 25 comments.

• Patricia Cooper

02/05/2020 11:17 PM

I have a question? Who pays for the cost of this trial? In a court of law the loser has to pay for all court costs. I think the Democrats need to fork over the entire cost for this frivolous witch-hunt.

• William Morley

02/05/2020 10:47 PM

Thank you, Mike and your staff for keeping us informed of all the important issues as they acquired. We are praying for Rush Limbaugh and hope things go well for him and that God will show a way to find the way for his healing.

• Bonnie R. Parvino

02/05/2020 10:39 PM

MIKE---AS MY FRIEND FROM SOUTH CAROLINA WOULD HAVE SAID----NANCY PALOSI WAS "RIGHT RUDE". I BELIEVE IT THIS WAY-----IF OUR PRESIDENT STANDS BY THE SEED OF ABRAHAM, ISAAC & JACOB---(THE JEWS) THEN GOD WILL STAND BY HIM AND I BELIEVE GOD HAS STOOD BY HIM IN THIS MESS CALLED "IMPEACHMENT".. >>>> I BELIEVE VERY FIRMLY THAT I HAVE IN MY OWN LIFE SEEN GOD TAKE CARE OF ME BECAUSE I PRAYED FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM. >>>> I CAN BE BUSY WITH MY LIFE AND SEE MY GOD ANSWER ME OFTEN IN POETRY AND SOMETIMES IN LITTLE SONGS.>>>> I WAS FOLLOWING MY HUSBAND HOME ---WE WERE SEPARATE VEHICLES. IT WAS RAINING VERY PROFUSELY---THE MOON WAS NOT OUT----THE STARS WERE NOT OUT. I BEGAN TO SING.----------------
    FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM, I PRAY,
    HOVER OVER HER EACH AND EVERY DAY.
    AND WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE OUT ,
    JEHOVAH WILL SHOUT,
    YOU ARE MY REFLECTION.
    I AM YOUR PROTECTION___________________-----------------------------------------------------------------------------PRAYING FOR JERUSALEM---GIVEN TO BONNIE R. PARVINO
    It stopped raining---the moon came out and the stars came out and I could see my
    husband's taillights---as I was in a position where I could not stop for being possibly hit in
    the backside or not even seeing directions so I kept singing until God did that miracle for me.
    I Know he can do that for our President. GOD IS IN CHARGE OF THIS AND ALL OUR SITUATIONS
    AND HE WILL GET THE GLORY. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE PRAYED FOR OUR PRESIDENT AND GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE NOT PRAYED FOR OUR PRESIDENT. GOD BLESS A UNIFIED AMERICA WITH ITS HANDS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TABLE AND COMEING UP WITH SOLUTIONS. BONNIE PARVINO AND HER FAMILY.

• Gwen CollinsWwW

02/05/2020 09:55 PM

What would we do without you! !!

• Gene Blazer

02/05/2020 09:52 PM

SPOT ON Governor! Thank you for this great summation!

• Michael R McGehee

02/05/2020 09:34 PM

Again, Mr. Huckabee, totally on point. And, Mr. President of the USA, God Bless you and your family for taking on this fight in the Swamp, when no one else on either side of the political isle would even acknowledge it previously. Oh yeah, Theres going to be some Socialist Ass Kickin coming up, during Mr. Trumps 2nd Term. BOHICA Bend Over Here It Comes Again Commrades, only this 2nd term aint going to be no Kissy or Lube. Much Love, Mike and Daphne McGehee.

• Sarah Menne

02/05/2020 09:19 PM

I viewed the video several times over where Nancy put out her hand to the President just prior to his SOTU. It appears he was turning towards the crowd just as she extended her hand. I think he simply didn't see her hand, and that he did not purposely snub her - although I would not blame him if he had. I'd love to club (oops. ,,I mean snub) her. :)

• Coleen Bane

02/05/2020 09:13 PM

News of Nancy Pelosi throwing a temper tantrum while the world watched! She gave us a vision of a new low of women in places of leadership that should not be accepted by any governing group especially in representing citizens of our nation!

• Patsy Stone

02/05/2020 09:12 PM

Best speech ever. He was not on the defensive. Just imagine what he could have done if he had a Congress that cared as much as he does.

• R. Dorien B. deLusignan

02/05/2020 09:12 PM

It was fantastic and Pelosi seemed frantic and deranged. Having worked in the mental health field for years I believe she is exhibiting symptoms of behavioral instability. Thank youGovernor for your informative programs and Emails. In Christ, R Dorien deLusignan

• J Carl Hayes

02/05/2020 09:01 PM

So proud of our Pro- Life President who wants to End late term Abortion! God is blessing President Trump and this nation, because of our support of Israel, the apple of his eye !

• Karen Wies

02/05/2020 09:00 PM

I think President Trump did a fabulous job presenting his State of the Union message. May God Bless President Trump & his family ??????????

• Edward Kast

02/05/2020 08:55 PM

Pelosi should be tarred and feathered and run out of town!

• Doris Simeur

02/05/2020 08:55 PM

It was an amazing speech.

• Janet Bennie

02/05/2020 08:37 PM

President Trump was and is FANTASTIC!!!!!

Goodbye Nancy---shame on you!

• Kathleen M

02/05/2020 08:34 PM

The Democrats have nothing to show for, except a failed cooked up impeachment hoax and phony investigations. Trump and his Administration's accomplishments are the nail in the coffin for Democrats. It must have hit the Do Nothing Democrats last night after listening to Trump that the have nothing to run on except their hate - just like in 2016.

• Cheryl Lindsey

02/05/2020 08:30 PM

I must confess that there have been times when I have cringed following a particular tweet that President Trump has made and thought I wish he had not said that. However, there is nothing, that he has said that has embarrassed me more than the behavior that I witnessed last night from our Speaker of the House, Nancy Palosi. I was reminded of our two year old daughter throwing a temper tantrum when she did not get her way. Unfortunately, this is what I will always remember about the Speaker and that memory is a legacy I would not want for myself.

• Billy Hudson

02/05/2020 08:26 PM

Gov. Huckabee, I took the time Wednesday evening to listen to the speech via the link you provided within your newsletter. I felt it was a very masterful speech stating the accomplishments of the last three years that are outstanding and bringing hope to all American people. The Congressional Democratic Party members in attendance were at the very least not respectful and lacked in response to even those issues that should be applauded by everyone. President Trump's use of individuals present in the audience to emphasize specific points brings faces and a personal perspective to the issues that he is trying to embrace. House Speaker Pelosi's tearing in two destruction of the typed copy of the speech at the conclusion was a childish gesture and not befitting a ranking member of Congress. The lack of common courtesy displayed by the Democratic members of Congress during the course of the speech shows how juvenile they have become and indicate a total lack of civility on their part. If they were little children their parents would strongly reprimand them but then possibly that is their problem, they were not properly taught as children how to act and now we are dealing with spoiled adult/children who need strong discipline. I suggest that America supply that discipline by sending them home from their positions of responsibility and replace them with reasonable patriotic adults. All of America would be better served without them in Washington DC.