Evening Edition - October 12

October 12, 2020 |

SENSELESS LOSS OF LIFE

At a pro-Trump rally in Denver over the weekend, a Trump supporter was shot to death by what was initially reported to be a “security guard.” There appears to be much more to this story, and it’s still coming out. Here’s the latest, but I expect there will be more. Read this to catch up, and in the meantime, please say a prayer for the victim, Lee Keltner, and his family, and that people will rediscover humanity and morality and stop putting politics above the sanctity of human life.

GUIDELINES

The Associated Press’ style guidelines have tremendous sway over media outlets, which in turn can help form the way voters think about issues. Unfortunately, the A.P. seems to have decided that the reason for its style guidelines is not proper grammar or making the facts of a story clearer, but fuzzying up language to make Democrats look better. Here, the Western Journal gives some examples and explains why they refuse to comply.

Over the weekend, we saw the most blatant example yet of how the A.P. has morphed into the DNC’s press release editor. Democrats have hit on a new fake talking point of claiming that by confirming Amy Coney Barrett, which Republicans have the power to do courtesy of the last elections, Republicans are “politicizing” the court,” (even though it’s liberal judges who make rulings based on their personal politics instead of the law or the Constitution.)

So Democrats claim that by adding however many Justices it takes to get an insurmountable liberal majority, they’re actually “depoliticizing” the court, and it’s their opponents who call that “packing the court.”

Astoundingly, the lapdogs at the A.P. tried to endorse this assault on the English language, but there was rapid and vicious blowback. Rep. Lee Zeldin responded, “Adding Justices to the US Supreme Court would be the most political, radical, partisan power grab possible for the Judiciary. That move is the polar opposite of ‘depoliticizing.’ I’ve got very bad news for those pushing this new ‘depoliticizing’ spin: Americans aren’t idiots!”

Once again, it appears that the Democrats are letting George Orwell write their PR materials. In his novel “1984,” the official slogan of Big Brother’s Party was “War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.” All they have to do is add “Politicizing is depoliticizing.”

Also worth noting: in "1984," that slogan was carved in huge letters on the side of the Ministry of Truth, which was in charge of coordinating all the lies the government told through the media and rewriting history. Maybe we should also add “The Associated Press is the Ministry of Truth.”

POLL AXED

Back in 2016, I got a lot of indulgent chuckles on TV when I predicted a Trump win at a time when Hillary Clinton was allegedly leading in the polls by up to 13 points. Interviewers thought I was just being a good GOP soldier and whistling past the graveyard. In fact, I had seen the difference in enthusiasm firsthand while campaigning with Trump. And I’d examined those polls and knew that when you have to oversample Democrats by, to cite one example, up to 24 points to get Hillary a five-point lead, she was in trouble.

The polls you’re hearing about now that forecast a Biden landslide also oversample Democrats. But polling insiders say they’ve found other ways to skew the results.

One old reliable tactic is to poll only registered voters and not likely voters. A more creative way is balancing the Democrat-Republican sample, but avoiding rural Democrats who are likely to support Trump and polling suburban female Republicans who are more likely to support Biden. And then there’s the unknown factor of the “shy Trump voter:” people who refuse to tell pollsters that they back Trump because they’re afraid it will leak and crazy/angry Democrats will attack them the way they vandalize cars with Trump stickers. But when they’re in the privacy of the voting booth, they will relish voting for Trump in anticipation of the crybullies’ Election Night meltdowns. Nobody knows how big that vote is, but I would guess “substantial.”

I assume the idea behind this kind of dishonest polling is to demoralize Trump supporters and make them think they can’t win so why bother voting? I don’t see that happening. I think most Trump voters are so sick of the opposition’s endless tantrums and slanders that they would crawl over broken glass to vote for Trump. I’ve observed in many past elections that the biased media actually harm the Democrats. They get intellectually lazy from never being challenged, so in debates, Republicans who constantly have to defend their ideas eat them alive. And in this case, the skewed polls might make their voters complacent and convince them that they don’t need to vote. A lot of dead people may vote for Biden, but it won’t be because they rose from their graves to vote out of enthusiasm for him.

Finally, for those who think I’m just whistling past the graveyard again (if I am, it’s the graveyard where the pollsters’ credibility is buried), take a look at this.

Someone went back and found Hillary Clinton’s poll lead in key swing states in the Real Clear Politics average of polls on October 10, 2016, and compared it to Biden’s lead on the same date in 2020. In every case, Hillary was polling better than Biden is now. And in every case, Trump went on to win that state.

So why does this rigged system to create and promote false narratives continue to be taken seriously, election after election? Roger Kimbell at the Spectator has a theory: it’s because these days, being a Democrat requires you to believe in “magical thinking.”

(PS – I should warn liberal readers who take comfort in believing that anyone who questions their political views is a knuckle-dragging moron that Mr. Kimbell does use phrases such as “epistemic nihilism” which could cause you to suffer a cognitive dissonance-induced stroke.)

ENTHUSIASM

Another reason to take the “Biden landslide” talk with a pillar of salt: voter enthusiasm. Compare the tens of thousands of people who show up to Trump rallies with the Biden/Harris campaign event in Arizona where practically nobody showed up. Remember in 2016, when Hillary couldn’t fill a high school gym with supporters? Joe can’t fill a gym bag.

But wait: Biden supporters claimed that Democrats are too smart to show up at political rallies where the coronavirus might spread (they only show up at protest rallies where it doesn’t spread. SCIENCE!!) They prefer to stay home in their basements like their candidate and relate to the world via the Internet. That’s why Joe hosts “virtual” campaign events for his virtual campaign.

Okay, let’s see how that’s working out. Joe Hoft at Gateway Pundit compared online viewership of Trump’s then-most recent rally in Duluth to Biden and Harris’ big “Soul of America” event in Arizona where about eight people showed up in person.

He tallied up reported views across all streaming platforms, and these are the totals:

Trump: 2,461,000 views

Biden: 77,000 views

Maybe Biden supporters are afraid that if they watch him online, they’ll contract a Chinese computer virus. SCIENCE!!

THREE OF SIX PLOTTERS TIED TO LEFT-WING GROUPS

At least three of the six men accused in a plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have now been tied to BLM, anarchist groups and radically anti-Trump rhetoric. So maybe it’s time for Whitmer to apologize for blaming the plot on Trump and Trump supporters? Naaaah, that’s crazy talk!

THE STATE OF JOURNALISM

Daniel Greenfield at Frontpage.com sums up the state of journalism in 2020 with a single headline, on an article analyzing a Washington Post story about George Floyd:

“Washington Post Blames ‘Systemic Racism’ for George Floyd Robbing a Latino Woman at Gunpoint.”

It’s well worth reading to see how the Post (and by extension, virtually every mainstream media outlet) twists logic like a pretzel to arrive at the conclusion that America is so racist, racist, racist, nobody is personally responsible for anything they do, unless they’re white. One of the best parts is how WaPo claims that as a child, Floyd wanted to be a Supreme Court Justice, but because of America’s racism, he just kept getting arrested for drugs, theft and armed robbery.

Greenfield then points out that there is a black man on the Supreme Court who has no arrest record (Clarence Thomas), and the Washington Post did everything in its power to keep him from being confirmed.

REALLY? A BIDEN LANDSLIDE?  YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?

Since the 1970s, punk icon Johnny Rotten (John Lydon) of the Sex Pistols has been saying things that deliberately outraged the establishment, but after 40 years, he may have finally found the hot button to truly make their heads explode when he told a BBC interviewer:

“Yes, of course I’m voting for Trump. It’s ‘bad person’ or not. I don’t want a politician running this world anymore…He’s an individual thinker, I’ll give him that for a start. He’s not the most lovable fellow on God’s earth, but I cannot see the opposition as offering me anything by way of a solution.”

So you’re seriously telling me it’s “Biden in a landslide” when even Johnny Rotten won’t vote for him?

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Brenda L. Martin

10/13/2020 08:51 AM

Thank You for always sharing truth through facts ! Not much of that to be found in the mainstream media outlets !! It’s sad when you no longer can turn your news stations on (any local channel) just to catch the weather forecast, without being ear raped by false left sided propaganda ??

• Geoffrey Mowatt

10/13/2020 08:31 AM

Great newsletter. Hope to hear more details about the 6 people charged for the planned abduction of Michigan Governor Grechen Witmer. If all 6 are tied to BLM then maybe President Trump could throw it right back in the Democrat's faces.

• Audrey Skarness

10/13/2020 08:29 AM

It's very hard to imagine that any one with a brain would vote for Joe Biden.

• William P McKane

10/13/2020 08:15 AM

As ever, Governor Mike, your analysis is intelligent, witty, and refreshing. Thank you for your public service. "That in all things, God may be glorified." (Rule of St. Benedict)

• Jerry korba

10/13/2020 08:08 AM

The msm and the left combined to tell talking points on the scheduled issue of the day. I viewed u on fox yesterday while u can answer a question with facts fox had a weenie asked the same question and all he could produce was scripted answer provided by the left without a fact to back his position just a campaign answer that is fictional WEENIES

• Lynda Woolery

10/13/2020 06:41 AM

Praying for America as this election has become an election between good and evil

• David Nielsen

10/13/2020 06:23 AM

Please pray for the Keltner family and his friends for the LORD to comfort them in this very difficult time. May there be severe punishment for this left wing murderer.
    Also, please pray for our Country without ceasing. The Adversary is trying to destroy our Country, our freedom, but most of all, our relationship with our LORD.

• David Smiley

10/13/2020 06:17 AM

In your comments from “Poll Axed” on Oct 12 you mentioned the Democrats false narrative about leading in the 2016 polls. I learned in fund raising school, that it is called a “temporary suspension of disbelief”.

• Terry Honnold

10/13/2020 05:16 AM

Thanks HUCK for the enthusiastic insight and thoughts to ponder! Nobody works harder than you do to help us, We the People to understand and fight for the future of AMERICA (except, maybe, President TRUMP! Thank you!

• Anne Turner

10/13/2020 12:38 AM

I do so hope you are correct. I am just afraid people are not really paying attention to what the Dems are actually saying. Like Michele, .i am ashamed of my country, not because of our history, or white privilege, but because there are so many that buy off on the Dem message. Am I ashamed of some of our history? Of course, our past racism snd slavery where terrible, but by and large we have tried to make up for that. We have made huge strides. Are there still some vestiges of racism? Of course, but I believe it is found mostly among the DNC who denigrate minorities abilities and taut their own superiority. I acknowledge there are still groups like the KKK but most conservative people find them repulsive. There is something so very patronizing about the DNC.

• carol denardo

10/12/2020 11:24 PM

I loved your gym bag comment. It is perfect. My landlady is a liberal who simply hates President Trump. She hates him but constantly has something negative to say about him. Today she hinted that he is the blame for the divisiveness in our country. She also blames him for global warming. With Whitmer also blaming him for the attempted kidnapping, I find it truly amazing the powers given to President Trump by the left. As I told my landlady, gee, one might think Donald Trump is more powerful than the Good Lord Himself!

• James Evart

10/12/2020 11:10 PM

Pray for President Trump, his family and administration.

• Elaine Knudsen

10/12/2020 10:48 PM

I am on chemo, not suppose to be around humans, but I guarantee you that I will be going to the polls in person. Yes, I will wear a mask & protect myself, but I'm going. When you said people would crawl across glass to vote for President Trump, you weren't wrong. This is the most important election ever! I want m y vote to count & won't risk any other method.

• SHERYL LUNDIEN

10/12/2020 10:40 PM

THIS IS JUST WHAT I NEEDED TODAY. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!

• John Roberts

10/12/2020 10:38 PM

Tell Mr. President to use the $6.00 gasoline often in his campaign. Everybody relates to that on a daily basis. This will happen with Biden's end the fracking plan.

• Mary Kahl

10/12/2020 10:38 PM

I commented previously that I believe Biden won the first debate, not that I wished that to happen. Trump's personality during the debate has turned off previous Trump voters I knew in 2016 so the next debate needs to be different. I suggest that (don't laugh) Trump begin his next debate opening by stating that he regrets some of his previous behavior, followed by his honest desire to serve the American people with the best he has to offer (or something to that effect). He's still my man for President. I'm already liking Ted Cruz for 2014.

• Cheryl Breon

10/12/2020 10:29 PM

So, the only thing I've heard so far about a tactic to do something about the guaranteed rampant cheating with mail-in ballots is that Trump has a lot of attorneys. Hmm.. that doesn't promote confidence. I know the Russians and Chinese want Biden (oh, I mean Harris) to win in a big way and might do something on the home front also to assure that. We know a friend who has been deceased for 3 years who got a ballot sent to him and his wife. I wish they could vote. They would have voted for Trump. And what do you say to Christians who will vote for Biden? (One friend is black so probably just used to voting (D) everytime)? It is so frustrating because now I can't think of one "value" Democrats have that agrees with Christianity. Another friend at church said "both sides lie". Oh boy. All l can say to that is you have been listening to too much NPR!

• Randall Stuckey

10/12/2020 10:28 PM

Very recently I saw a Kanye West political ad on TV and he brought up something that has been on my mind for some time now and it is the scriptural view that should be be brought up when we speak about black lives matter. He said that every day abortion takes 1000 little black lives. Now that should get everyone to take notice, you would think. I've been telling people that the only glaring Biblical reason for my vote against murder is explained very clearly in scripture. Even if we simply consider our moral obligation to mankind just this one fact should cause people of every faith or creed to think about who they vote for.
    Who knew that Kanye West would be inclined to bring this fact forward.
    Thanks for the chance to express this view and I pray you find a way to move this fact forward in the minds of those who pay attention to you site and hopefully beyond.

• Jo Cluck

10/12/2020 10:25 PM

Enthusiasm???? oh yeah...that was what as missing in Arizona at the news station who was holding a rally for Biden...No one showed and the reporter was lost for words!! LOL Loved it!!! :)

• Mark Mittelstaedt

10/12/2020 10:25 PM

Epistemic nihilism is more likely to result in flatulence - just ask Swalwell and Nadler. As opposed to nature, Democrats seem to love...a vacuum ;-}

• Judy Radley

10/12/2020 10:19 PM

Love your truth telling and positive spin on the 'negative Nancys' reasons why they want to downplay the wonderful things President Trump has done. It is pure and simply propaganda.Hitler used it to disenfranchise Europe that only he can give them what they want, but then he turned on them and ruined all their livelihoods, especially the Jewish population. It is very scary to see that in NYC deBlasio and Cuomo are doing the same thing today to the Orthodox Jewish communities. That is why it is so important to teach correct History and not revised history to fit the narrative of the Democrats, antifa, blm, and isis. They are all of the same thinking, but try and fool the public, by propaganda using the media which is just as guilty, to make the United States of America no longer in existence. It's like they want the USA to become extinct, and allow uncivilized animals to take over. My opinion of course is that all those groups I noted above are worse than uncivilized, they are rabid haters of the USA. President Trump is the 'animal control officier' that will make them conform to law, order, and rules of the civilized world, or they will be locked up. Because to live in a civilized world, law and order MUST prevail over personal or individual choice that causes harm to others. God Bless President Trump and God Bless to Help USA overcome the evils of satan's hold on people.

• Floyd A Unger

10/12/2020 10:18 PM

• Brian Sherman

10/12/2020 10:03 PM

Governor Huckabee,

Sadly, most of the articles in our newspaper come from the AP. After learning from you how unreliable they might be as a news source, I find myself skipping over their articles and searching for news sources that I can rely on. You may have done this already, but would you mind putting out a list of news sources that at this time (I know this could change) that you trust to report the news? Thank you.

• Mike Spears

10/12/2020 09:54 PM

Gov Huckabee: With regard to helping the President's chances in the election: This is late, but I believe that voters need to be reminded of "Obama's Fundamental Transformation of America." It seems it would be a good idea to remind voters of what they wholeheartedly rejected in 2016 -- which was Obama's policies. As we know, Hillary Clinton was supposed to win and finish the job of "Obama's Fundamental Transformation," but the voters rejected it and elected Donald Trump. And we know that the Democrats were furious about it and as a result weaponized the government against the new President.
    I recommend that we take voters back to this 2016 "Baseline." I believe they need to be reminded of it before election day. It also needs to be made clear that if Biden wins, that the Democrats will again pursue "Obama's Fundamental Transformation," with a vengeance; they won't want to take the chance of their agenda being interrupted again. They WILL: Stack the Supreme Court; end the Fillibuster; Add new States. They will stop at NOTHING to get their OLD AGENDA back on track -- much to the detriment of the American People. If they are reminded of what they voted against in 2016, the voters will likely understand the stakes they are up against more clearly. We desperately need another four years of President Trump and we need to at least keep the Senate.

• Dr. Mikeal Hughes

10/12/2020 09:42 PM

I wish MIke was running. I don’t trust either party. Trump has morality issues as a minister I have a hard time condoning that. Joe I don’t like his stance on some issues like Abortion. So I’m left to vote Libertarian. Maybe if the Republicans get a candidate more in line with my views I will vote Republican in 2024. Coming from someone who has taught Political Science. Maybe I learned to much about the games the parties play building “straw opponents”.