Americans Learn More About Judge Barrett

October 14, 2020 |

All I can say that's good about Day Two of the Senate Supreme Court confirmation hearings for Judge Amy Coney Barrett is that it allowed Americans to learn even more about why Barrett is such an incredibly gifted and qualified nominee. The Kodak Moment came when she was asked what she had in front of her, and she held up a blank notepad. All the Senators required copious notes to grill her, but she was calmly and expertly answering their questions, quoting cases and deflecting attacks, all without even looking at notes.

Meanwhile, Senate Democrats, realizing they had no substantive, or even fictitious, charges to level at her, chose simply to waste everyone’s time. Instead of asking Judge Barrett questions, which was the alleged reason for the hearings, Democrats like Kamala Harris droned on and on, making partisan campaign speeches and accusing Republicans of wanting to take health care away from families or make their payments skyrocket by getting rid of Obamacare (which actually made health care more expensive for most people.) If this is what her campaign speeches are like, I can see why nobody is showing up.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar was among several Senate Democrats who pulled the neat trick of wasting precious time by bemoaning that the hearings were wasting precious time that should be used to pass a coronavirus relief bill. Except that Republicans tried to pass such a bill three weeks ago and she and her fellow Democrats blocked it from even being debated. I did love when Judge Barrett told Klobuchar, “I don’t attack people, just ideas.” In that case, Sen. Klobuchar is safe on both counts.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse went off on a “dark money” conspiracy rant that looked like something out of “A Brilliant Mind,” minus the brilliance (note: Democrats are being greatly advantaged by dark money from a variety of sources, from Soros to Silicon Valley.)

But you can always count on Sen. Mazie Hirono to lower the bar of discourse to subterranean levels, which she did by asking Barrett (in front of her children), "Since you became a legal adult, have you ever made unwanted requests for sexual favors or committed any verbal or physical harassment or assault of a sexual nature?" To keep you off the edge of your seat, the answer was “no.” There was also a suggestion that she’s a racist, when her two adopted black children were sitting in the gallery behind her. Her only "score" was browbeating Barrett for causing pain and suffering to the LGBTQ community by using the "offensive" phrase "sexual preference" instead of "sexual orientation," for which Barrett apologized.

Judge Barrett was forced to explain over and over that she could not speculate how she would rule on future cases because she didn’t know the facts of the particular case and it would prejudice her ruling. Democrats assailed this as shifty and evasive, even though it’s exactly the philosophy Ruth Bader Ginsburg expressed during her hearing. It’s even called “the Ginsburg Rule.”

Luckily, as the mother of seven kids, she’s used to having to patiently answer the same obvious questions repeatedly for a series of different children.

Overall, I’d say that day two convinced me even more that Judge Barrett is incredibly qualified for the Supreme Court, but there are a lot of Senators who aren’t qualified to be dog catcher.

• Patricia Wheaton

10/15/2020 05:58 PM

Amen! She is VERY qualified!! Much smarter than ANY of the Dems! God Bless Judge Barrett for her Grace, Poise & calm composure!

• Helen Whitei

10/15/2020 05:28 PM

Its a shame what they put judges through. It's a wonder anyone
    would do it. Thank you Mike. Keep it up.
    God bless.

• Thomas H Mitchell

10/15/2020 05:11 PM

She is more qualified than any of the Democrat senators. Thankfully she will be approved!

• Barbara R. Rave

10/15/2020 05:09 PM

I am praying that those whose appose her because of political correctness, need to go back to be drill for the reason, they decided to live in a country that used to value, faith, freedom, and the ability of honest, truth, and the freedoms we have all enjoyed living in the bright, and beautiful country that our forefathers travel from other countries to become citizens, of this wonderful country.

• Kathleen Cooper

10/15/2020 05:06 PM

The American public does not know anything about our own government. I’m so impressed about the Republicans.

• Debbie Paglusch

10/15/2020 04:56 PM

I agree with your evaluation.
    I liked the Kodak moment also.
    I just wished everyone could get along!!

• Brantley

10/15/2020 04:50 PM

I agree!

• peter holzer

10/15/2020 04:40 PM

I do read your daily thoughts, and I do have great respect for your mind and ability to make cogent reposts to the idiots you are often forced to face.
    the Barrett hearing is yet again proof that almost all those in our government no longer belong, as actual work and results are not in the cards. I am 80 and my wife - Cuban - 73 and we fight as to which is more conservative. I defer as her Cuban beginnings clearly instructed her about right and left.
    we both worry greatly for our country, and wonder how we got here today. the biggest problem is the press and emasculated government. best example is the unchecked and seeming uncheckable power of social media. in the old days Soros would never have gotten his claws into the assorted and wide spread aspects of our government and society.
    God help our country is Biden or Harris become president.

• Richard E Johns

10/15/2020 04:18 PM

If Congress had to pass an intelligence test, a lot of them would never make it!!

• Mary McDonald

10/15/2020 03:42 PM

Hardy/Hearty? AMEN to every word of your viewpoint! I strongly dislike lumping Democrats and Republicans under our respective umbrellas! However, the dems have muddied the waters to the point that it's becoming difficult to remain civil in even a casual discourse.

• LaVon Fabian

10/15/2020 12:19 PM

I agree she should be confirmed.

• Bill Millett

10/15/2020 10:03 AM

Rarely do I admit (and even celebrate) being wrong, but in this case , I'm ecstatic! I assumed President Trump had pulled a Biden and chosen someone based on gender to appease a certain part of the population. WRONG!!

• Stephen Clayton

10/15/2020 08:19 AM

Excellent comments, Governor. Judge Barrett was spectacular and unflappable. I commend President Trump in being inspired to nominate her at this most critical time where we most likely will have a contested election. I find the timing on RBG's death and the opportunity to select a conservative Justice to the SCOTUS very interesting. I love seeing the Democrat ant hill being kicked from time to time just to see their scurrying around like chickens with their heads cut off.

• Arzella Montgomery

10/15/2020 07:55 AM

Shouldn't Kamala Harris "recuse" herself from these hearings and from voting since she is the nominee for President..( VP) like they said Rubio should do back in 2016.. conflict. of interest. ? He said if he became the Presidential nominee he would give up his seat in the Senate They ask if ACB would recuse herself from ruling in upcoming SCOTUS deliberations.. so Kamala Harris should do the same and recuse herself from this as well as give up her Senate seat!!!

• Victoria M Perez

10/15/2020 05:35 AM

I love your summary Mr. Huckabee. This Democrat committee just wasted more time. They could have done better homework, ( if they did any at all) and asked more pertinent questions.

• Michael B Babbitt

10/15/2020 01:08 AM

I liked your ending paragraph, Governor.

• Patrick Titterington

10/15/2020 12:43 AM

If the vote goes by strict party lines, it will prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the Democrats are beyond reality of for that matter any real intelligence.

• JoAnne Hamm

10/14/2020 11:30 PM

As always, you are right on the money Governor. I totally agree with your assessment of these hearings.

• Jeanette Kirk

10/14/2020 11:30 PM

I agree with your statement that most democrats could not qualify to be dog catchers. Serves them right.

• JoAnne Hamm

10/14/2020 11:27 PM

• Irene Cooper

10/14/2020 10:20 PM

I agree with you.

• Mary T Del Buono

10/14/2020 09:30 PM

Yes...and Connecticut's Blumenthal...wow...what junk you brought up??? why??? you wasted a lot of time...sad...

• Helen Garrison

10/14/2020 08:35 PM

Indeed Judge Barrett is incredibly qualified for the Supreme Court. Some of the Senators questioning her are probably not even qualified to be ... 'a dog catcher'!! What a waste of time of the American voters...and of Judge Barrett. We have to listen to their non sense.. I cringe thinking about Pamela Harris being a vice-president... God forbids!!!

• mary alice a phillips

10/14/2020 08:29 PM

Agree with you whole heartedly on comments on confirmation hearing !!!

• deborah jean riedweg

10/14/2020 08:26 PM

I made a 2,000 contribution to be done with matching funds. I wanted to be sure that "My Faith Votes" rec'd this please. My thanks to chk. this! Deborah Riedweg