Evening Edition - June 26

June 26, 2020 |

THE DISCONNECT BETWEEN PERCEPTION AND REALITY

I’m sure you are as sick as I am of reading about race-baiting, America-hating communist radicals smashing statues and demanding that all of America’s history be erased to soothe their injured feelings. You’d probably like to start your weekend without hearing about these over-indulged, under-educated, ungrateful, loud-mouthed, self-righteous, man-bunned, nose-pierced brats.

Well, trust me, you are not alone. If you listen to the media, you’d think that all of America is in flames, when it’s actually mostly isolated areas of deep blue cities. Everywhere else, Americans of all races are doing pretty much what they’ve done for years: they’re working together, serving each other, dining, watching sports and going to church together, and all without flying into a rage and killing each other.

This disconnect between perception and reality started long ago, with the rise of mass media, and it’s been exacerbated by news channels and social media, which need "shocking" provocative content 24/7. Years ago, it was noted that even though the murder and violent crime rates were steadily falling, polls showed that people believed they were going up. The main reason was the media’s motto: “If it bleeds, it leads.”

In the 1800s, you could live your entire life without ever hearing about a murder that took place 100 miles away. Today, you immediately hear about murders that take place 2,000 miles away. There’s never any shortage of scary stories if you get every one of them that happens anywhere in the world poured into your head through a funnel. That’s why it’s so important occasionally to turn off the “news,” get off the Internet and social media, and go outside to clear your head and see that the sky really isn’t falling and most people are decent folks just trying to live their lives and get along with each other.

Here are a couple of stories to help you get started washing all that negativity out of your head so you can enjoy the weekend. You likely will not hear these on the “hair-on-fire” news channels, but they’re really more important than many of the stories they do report.

In a cell phone video that went viral, a young African-American woman says her brother is chasing down a young black man whom they saw robbing an elderly white man. When they catch him in a parking lot, the brother forces him to sit down and demands that he hand over the loot. When he tries to play dumb, the sister tells him they saw him do it: “You just robbed that man like that… and this is what we are fighting for right now.” He finally hands over the money, and when the victim drives up, she asks him, “Are you okay, sir?” as her brother gives him his money back.

Meanwhile, last Sunday, another Huck’s Hero, Daylan McLee of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, was at a Father’s Day cookout when he heard an explosion that felt like an earthquake. Someone said a police cruiser had just crashed. McLee ran to the scene, somehow ripped open the car door, and pulled the injured officer inside to safety, just as flames overtook the car. The cop had surgery to repair a serious leg injury, but he will survive.

Backstory: McLee is black, and he would have every reason not to risk his life to help the police. A cop once accused McLee of drawing a weapon on him in a parking lot, even though security cam footage upheld his story that he’d broken up a fight, taken the gun away from someone else and tossed it aside before the cops arrived. By the time he was acquitted, he’d spent a year in jail. He’s also fighting a charge of fleeing and resisting arrest (he says they were plainclothes cops who approached him with guns drawn and never identified themselves.) So why would he risk his life to save a police officer? His response:

“Human life. A lot of crazy things are going on in the world, and I haven’t had the best ends in life, but I know the value of human life. You can’t replace it. It’s Father’s Day. I’m not sure if he has children, but I know he has family, and I’m pretty sure they’re glad to have him there, and I’m glad he’s home, or going to be home.”

“I know this man is my brother through Christ, and I couldn’t leave him behind.”

Can you imagine how different the national mood might be if stories like that – and there are a lot more of them than you think – were leading the news 24/7?

THE EMANCIPATION MEMORIAL SURVIVES THE NIGHT

As the sun rose Friday morning, the Emancipation Memorial in Washington, DC, was still standing, police having prevented protesters from making good on their threat to tear it down Thursday night. As President Trump said in a Fox News town hall last night, “I can understand certain things being taken down. But they ought to go through a process, legally. And then we take it down, in some cases put 'em in museums or wherever they may go.”

The protesters admit that the memorial was started with contributions from freed slaves as a tribute to Lincoln, but they claim the donors had no say over its design, and that the slave figure in front of Lincoln depicts blacks kneeling in subservience.

But some black historians (yes, we actually still have some people who care about learning actual history) say they are misinterpreting what the statue depicts. They say the statue fund began with $5 from Charlotte Scott. It was the first money she earned after being freed from slavery, and she wanted to give it in homage to Lincoln. A spokeswoman for the group FREED (Female RE-Enactors of Distinction) said that if you look at the position of the freed slave, he isn’t kneeling on both knees with his head bowed. He’s in the process of standing up from kneeling, with his head up, “because he’s looking forward to a future of freedom.

However you interpret it, it’s both an important piece of history and a great work of art. Whether it's in a park or a museum is a matter that people of good faith can debate. What’s not debatable is that smashing it with hammers is, and ought to be, a federal crime, as well as a crime against both history and posterity.

120 MILLION AMERICANS HAVE DIED FROM CORONAVIRUS?!?

Joe Biden was actually allowed out of his basement to make a campaign appearance, but it was in front of fewer people than were waiting in line in front of me the last time I went to Starbucks. I keep hearing that he's leading Trump by 10, 15, 20 points in the polls, but where are all these Biden groupies? While there, he made another strange gaffe, claiming that 120 million Americans had died of the coronavirus (it’s actually about 124,000, although that number is likely inflated.)

Add that to the 150 million Americans he claimed had been killed by gun violence since 2007, and it’s a miracle if there will be anyone left alive to vote in November.

SEATTLE UPDATE

The elected officials of Seattle refuse to do anything about anarchists taking over six city blocks of other people’s property, covering it with trash and threatening them with guns. And since the criminal justice system refuses to do its duty, a group of business and property owners and residents are turning to a different, potent means of defense. No, not the Second Amendment (it is Seattle, after all.) I mean the civil court system. They’ve filed a federal class action lawsuit against the city government for its utter failure to do its basic duty of protecting the safety and property of Seattle residents.

Check out that link and read excerpts from the lawsuit, which include stories of what the people stuck inside that Hell zone have had to endure while the Mayor babbled on about it being “patriotic” and a “peaceful expression of our community’s collective grief and their desire to build a better world.”

After you read it, I think you’ll agree that step one to building a better world for Seattle residents would be to replace the entire city leadership. Incidentally, note that this story includes a gem of an illustration of white liberal guilt: the plaintiffs start off their lawsuit by stressing that they support many of the political and social goals of the protesters – then go on to detail how the “protesters” are a bunch of violent, filthy, thieving, bullying vandals.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

On the other hand, some people who are fed up with the CHOP wokesters are taking a more direct approach. Like this black Seattle resident who'd had enough of with them perverting and exploiting a legitimate protest to put on their commie flea circus. So he started tearing down their barricades while cursing them out thoroughly and telling them to go home (Warning: very bad language at this link, but no filthier than the people living in CHOP.) I think he may be an indicator to Seattle’s “leaders” that people of all colors are reaching their “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!!” stage.

A SECOND PROJECT VERITAS VIDEO

Despite the best efforts of the mainstream media to pretend it doesn’t exist, Project Veritas just released a second undercover video from a second Facebook insider/whistleblower, and it might be even worse than the first.

Content moderator Ryan Hartwig says he signed a confidentiality agreement to work at Facebook, but he couldn’t keep quiet after learning what goes on there. He said, “I was seeing them interfering on a global level in elections. I saw a blatant exception that just targeted conservatives or favored liberals—and you know, we're deleting on average 300 posts or actioning 300 posts a day. If you magnify that by however many content moderators there are on a global scale, that's a lot of stuff that's getting taken down.”

Warning, there’s some bad language in the undercover quotes from the Facebook staffers, who brag about classifying all Trump supporters with Hitler and Nazis, but allowing “hate speech” if it’s in support of the LGBTQ agenda.

Meanwhile, Facebook finally responded by firing one staffer and claiming that the attitudes exposed in the tapes are “not consistent with our policies” and they will be “reviewing training and oversight.”

That’s sort of like dealing with a fungus-plagued redwood by plucking one leaf off of it. When you’ve got that much internal rot, you can’t fix it with tweezers. It’s time to fire up the chainsaw.

TRUMP-HANNITY TOWNHALL

Last night, President Trump sat down for a town hall on Fox News, hosted by Sean Hannity. He talked about his political opponents, the protests in the streets, John Bolton, and the crime in Democrat-run cities, which he said was like “living in Hell,” while he compared Chicago to Afghanistan, which might arguably be worse. The highlights are recounted here.

And you can stream the entire broadcast on YouTube at this link.

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Cathy Trocciola

06/26/2020 10:44 PM

I am sick of the constant news of the pandemic that the media has reported to death and news of some Joe Blo who had been offended by Aunt Jemima or Eskimo pies. In the mean time while these racists are trying to erase our history they are erasing their own. When does it end Mike. I'm a born again, true believing Christian and I find it very hard to hold in my anger and keep my mouth shut. I have come to the conclusion it's not worth losing my salvation over. Thank you Mike for letting me blow off some steam.

• Jack macdonald

06/26/2020 10:34 PM

This will be my last post. Twice tonite, I poured my heart and soul into a really profound post and both times they disappeared into the ether while I was attempting to validate that I was an actual person. It was as if Zuckerberg had pulled the plug on me. The world will be a lesser place without my wit and wisdom.

• Margot Plummer

06/26/2020 10:30 PM

I saw Frank Luntz on Fox News tonight and he has me worried. He said it wasn't 2016 and Trump had better change. I know Trump voters are laying low, but these polls spook me.
    Margot Plummer
    Golden Colorado

• Anna Angeline Angel Bakos

06/26/2020 10:22 PM

I am re-reading the book “Presidential Power” written in 1964 by Neustadt. President Trump should become acquainted with it. He has to demonstrate his personal power to achieve his goals.

I think he has been reluctant to exercise his persuasive abilities due to all the negative press he receives.

Trump needs to be bold & show everyone he really has the ability to
    contain the violence that is ruining our country!

• Charles E. toner

06/26/2020 10:17 PM

It's a subject you didn't touch on today, but it's coming -- converting DC to a state. The Dems so desperately want it.
    Suggest the DC area be returned to the states of Maryland and Virginia where they came from originally. The whole of DC could be returned, or just the residential portions, leaving a majority of federal buildings in a reduced size DC.

• Bill Taylor

06/26/2020 10:10 PM

Mike,
    Thanks for the ‘good news’ stories. I would love to see these as a regular part of your newsletters. Stories that are ‘outside’ the stereotypes and the conservative and liberal narratives are important to broadening our thinking. Thanks again!

• Kathryn Scharf

06/26/2020 09:38 PM

You make such darn good sense.

• Carolyn Prater

06/26/2020 09:33 PM

I pray every day for our president and for all of the men and women in this country that bravely stand up for what is right in this evil-filled and hateful climate. But today, I've especially felt like President Donald Trump needs our prayers now, more than ever. Please everyone, stop and pray for our president. Ask that he will be surrounded by strong angels, protecting him. We need him! I believe media saying Biden is ahead and that the virus is suddenly worse now are dark lies to try to overthrow this country. We all need God's help. This verse you posted today, Mr. Huckabee, is so appropriate. God IS the answer. He IS our strength. If we all pray, God will intervene for us, in times of trial and suffering, as well as in all times.

• Louise Williams

06/26/2020 09:31 PM

I always enjoy and appreciate your letters. Thank you for keeping me informed.

• Marjean Sparks-Mills

06/26/2020 09:06 PM

Keep up the good work, I, like you, love our country and am ashamed of the people turning away from God. He is the one who was behind building this great country and the demonrats and socialist have destroy everything.

• larry Walker

06/26/2020 08:59 PM

COVID 19
    Why isn't anybody questing the data on Covid 19?
    Let see there are testing you by putting a cotton swab up your nose
    You got to be kidding me?
    Last time I was at the Doctors office they would take blood work not using a (cotton) swabs.
    Wearing a mask is going to stop what? Might be doing more harm than good.

• Vernon Freeck

06/26/2020 08:57 PM

Great time for this verse amen

• Mike Horst

06/26/2020 08:54 PM

Mike, I saw your comment that the Polls indicate the President losing to Biden by ridiculous margins. A logical, informed person would have to think there is something wrong with those numbers. To me they are very likely rigged, phony or outright lies to try and influence the voters. Knowing what I have seen & heard of Biden I just can’t visualize him winning the election over Trump other than of outright hate for him. It is just stupid of people to use emotional reasons of “well I just don’t like Trump & my Grandpappy’s pappy voted Democrat so I am too as justification for voting Trump out of office. That mindless group think will cost you a ton, maybe your freedom for that mistake

• Carolyn C Delahoussaye

06/26/2020 08:40 PM

I rely on your newsletter for the news. I know that you are my brother in Christ and for that I trust your information.

• Bonnie R. Parvino

06/26/2020 08:30 PM

I wrote the below in l976----A Bicentennial Poem---By Bonnie R. Parvino
    Humble yourselves & pray & seek GOD'S FACE.
    America is yours, if you will but defend his case.
    Turn, oh Land so Great, from your wicked ways.
    If you refuse GOD now, then numbered are your days.
    __________
    GOD will hear you from Heaven 7 forgive your sin.
    HE will heal your Land & your country will win.
    Behold, the LORD's ARM is not shortened that HE cannot save.
    America, turn to GOD, as a mighty ocean wave.
    __________
    One by One, tumbling over one another to get to the Feet of GOD upon the beach.
    Americans can be saved & we are within HIS reach.
    Our sins, Oh Land so Great, have hid us from the Face of GOD.
    And, HE is ready to use HIS terrible vengeance Rod.

The LORD can send righteousness & Praise.
    He can send Peace and Joy to fill our days.
    But, we must become humble, Dear Land of the Free.
    This Nation must bow before GOD & lift up our plea
    ____________
    Praise His Holy Name as our Fathers did 200 years ago.
    Praise His Holy Name & let your neighbor know.
    Spread the WORD North & South & East & West.
    This is still America, the Land that GOD has blessed.
    _-------------
    Mike----there have been a lot of things happen to me & there is always the FACT THAT GOD
    HELPED ME AND STOOD BEHIND ME IN TIMES OF DANGER. (I almost ran into a head hunter one time). >>> My Grandfather, who had the gift of Prophecy, told me of a time (& I cannot put in same prophecies) but that we would be Praising the Lord in the Halls of Congress and that this whole world would rock and reel and sway with the SPIRIT OF THE LORD.>>> You ask & I did not reply if our President is doing a good job. >>> I have not made any negative statement regarding our duly elected President. THE WORD SAYS IF WE STAND by ISRAEL---GOD WILL STAND BY US AND IF WE CURSE ISRAEL GOD WILL CURSE US. >>> OUR PRESIDENT STOOD BY ISRAEL WHEN HE HAD THE EMBASSY MOVED FROM TEL AVIV TO JERUSALEM. AND IN DOING SO---I BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT HAS ATTACKED HIM AND THIS NATION WILL ALL COME OUT IN THE WASH. MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD BLESS OUR PRESIDENT & HIS FAMILY. ------BONNIE PARVINO

• John Derrick

06/26/2020 08:19 PM

The destruction of any society begins first by opening its borders to the Marxists who's very existence preys upon order and hard work of others. The dismantling of a society then progresses to destroying its identity while reintroducing civil wounds of its past to divide its unity. Last, its judicial system is replaced by corrupt money-hungry puppets who drive the final stake through Libertys heart by imposing military dictatorship...and that's it! Obama, Clinton, Biden, Mueller, Comey, Rice, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Robert's, Sullivan, Kamala Harris, Ocasio-Cortez....and other far-left political hacks are all in position to advance the above scenario. Our votes couldn't be more critical to stop their continued attacks upon America and upon our Liberties. We are blessed with beacons of light such as you Gov. Huckabee, Pres. Trump, Pence, Bongino, Rove, FOX News, Gowdy, Chaveez, Scott, and many others...who deserve ALL our support!!

• Miriam Nash

06/26/2020 08:16 PM

Thank you for this post. I am encouraged by it! We know that God is in control. (I have a picture with you that was taken at an event lead by The Family Leader here in Des Moines, IA. I don't remember the year! I was the receptionist at that time.) I have always respected your thoughts on "what's going on".

• Victoria McIntyre

06/26/2020 08:09 PM

I never thought I would say this but as an Army Brat who has lived all over the world and gone to schools with many different races, I think Mike Huckabee is right on point with this article. He gave me hope that we can get through this to a better place.

• Nancy St.Romain

06/26/2020 08:05 PM

Thank you for your daily reports, I enjoy them and need the break down of what's going on! bless you

• Cynthia Rasmussen

06/26/2020 08:04 PM

About 35 years ago when our son was in 6th or 7th grade he told me about some social studies books being used to teach “racial tolerance and acceptance”. The program name was Project REACH, standing for “Respecting our Ethnic And Culural Heritage”. The 4 books were titled “The Black American Experience”, The Mexican American Experience”, ditto Asian and Native American.....An objective assessment of the program by parents and community members showed that the program did an excellent job of promoting “white guilt” and minority anger for all the “wrongs” they had experienced now and in past history. A committee of citizens and parents challenged this program asking to have it removed and replaced with a more balanced view of history and our country. The teachers union and the media made sure the program remained. It was disseminated nation wide and is still in classrooms today. What we are seeing in the media and the streets is the expected result of this and similar programs in our schools starting in grade school. We hope it isn’t too late to turn things around!!

• Brent Winters

06/26/2020 08:03 PM

It’s time for Trump to stand up and kick the punk ass BLM and antifa in the mouth before the American people do it for them they are outnumbered and it’s just a Matter if time until we do it for him . If trump is going to win in November he must take action now with the iron fist .

• Andrea Kidd

06/26/2020 08:03 PM

Worth watching

• manfred parker

06/26/2020 08:03 PM

Are these polls that indicate Biden leading Trump for real?

• James Phillips

06/26/2020 07:59 PM

Thank you, Gov. Huckabee, for your clear, honest, thought provoking daily messages. The precious way you speak with honesty, based on Biblical principles, ... it tells it like it is!
    Thank you. I pray daily for you and your precious daughter, Sarah, and the ministry you both have in our Nation. Personally, it my have a bigger impact than if you were the President and had to constantly protect everything that you say and write. KEEP IT UP, My Brother.

• Charles L. Blankenship, MD

06/26/2020 07:58 PM

I emailed this to the White House earlier this week. If you agree with the content please send this copy or your own thoughts to the President by going to whitehouse.gov and call or email the White House.

If you authorized law enforcement to arrest persons who are vandalizing our national monuments (and I consider all monuments placed in public locations as part of our national history), why isn’t our Federal law enforcement arresting these vandals? I agree with former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that we should not “sanitize” our national history, especially since it is no longer taught objectively in public school. If the National Guard has to be mobilized to protect our history, I’m sure ALL Americans will support you. Also, if local and state officials will not support protecting our history, they should be held accountable, arrested, and jailed for violating what is supposed to be our protected history.
    v/r