Senate reaches deal

March 25, 2020 |

It took until after midnight, but the Senate finally agreed early this morning on an unprecedented $2 trillion (!) economic rescue plan that’s been dubbed “unemployment insurance on steroids.”

The bill includes direct payments to most Americans and support for unemployment funds so that no workers will lose their salaries during the shutdown, $367 billion to help keep small businesses afloat while their workers are stuck at home, and a $500 billion guaranteed, subsidized loan program for larger businesses and hospitals. Chuck Schumer said Democrats were ready to give unanimous consent so that if no Republicans objected, it could be sped through without a formal roll call vote. The Senate will meet today for debate and (many hope) will quickly send it to the House for a hoped-for unanimous passage as-is.

Don’t count your chickens yet, though, because there could still be objections in the House. Some Democrats made it obvious that they saw the bill as a big piñata that could be stuffed with leftist “transforming America” wish list items, from national same-day voter registration and voting by mail (i.e., the “Voter Fraud Made Easy” program) to various diversity hiring and CO2 emission mandates on businesses, to money for Planned Parenthood abortion clinics. As Bryan Preston at PJ Media put it in this terrific analysis, the Pelosi Democrats treated the coronavirus bill “like it’s a genie that jumped out of a Christmas tree.”

Luckily, when faced with a furious backlash from the public (they’re now about as popular as the skunk that ate the picnic lunch) and from even the most liberal Republicans in the Senate, Pelosi and the Dems backed down. The sledgehammer fell when President Trump declared that he would not sign a bill that was filled with “Green New Deal stuff.” I think it’s a sign of admirable growth in his role as a wartime President that he showed enough dignity and restraint not to use the word I’m sure he was thinking of instead of “stuff.”

Now, the Speaker just has to keep her notoriously headstrong members in line and the House could rush it through on unanimous consent, too. However, that might be quashed by the threatened opposition of one non-Democratic member, notoriously headstrong Michigan Rep. Justin Amash, whose Trump Derangement Syndrome led him to quit the GOP and become an Independent. I have a feeling this might be his last shot at playing fly-in-the-Jello-mold before the November election returns him to the private sector and the inevitable commentator deal with MSNBC or CNN.

Personally, I hate seeing this level of federal intervention and added debt, too, but we are facing an unprecedented emergency. The bill is far from ideal, but as former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld put it, you go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you had. And if this is the equivalent of war, this the best weapon Trump is able to get out of this bitterly divided Congress. Just be grateful that Trump had the backbone to refuse to be blackmailed and to keep so much of that leftist…”stuff”…out of it.

• Dusty

03/25/2020 06:41 PM

Better make sure that all business gets their share. Kennedy Center now gets this $25 Mill when majority of the people never get to go there. Called a Tit for a Tat amazing. I was today behind a young man at Walmart Taco Bell shirt on and saying he will not hv money for his car insurance. How many now face this millions. Per most 60% live ck to ck. Just hope we can slow down this horrendous VIRUS Chinese Virus. We can protect the elderly I am one at 77 and we can stay in and out of the way for a long time and let those under 60 get back to work as soon as safe enough? Today going out I used the hand wash constantly and even told a store cashier to use the one at her cash register. All should be doing this. My grand daughter is in a bank in Colo and heard yesterday one of their customers was in the hospital per the Virus was just in their branch 5 days ago. Said he is doing okay now on Oxygen. One by one in places that have to stay open the workers take the chance. Some of our world has to function. At least the companies make sure their workers are using the right ways to hope to keep this away? See some of the Democrats who now try to say this President is not doing enough like on CNN go figure and dear old Hillary who just cannot give up has to act like she is now President and knows what is to be done? Did any of her Chinese friends tell her of this horrible virus . Biden who did business there with his son? WHY ? Why were so many so quiet on this that even the Italians who trusted the Chinese had to face the worst. Later we will dig deeper now it is to make sure most of the World can get past this?

• Doug Morgan

03/25/2020 06:37 PM

It seems that no matter who has the majority in either house, dims win. It is a shame that the socialists would rather see possibly thousands die rather that not get some of their "stuff" passed, like 25 million for the Kennedy Center and 75 million for the arts. How in the world can they relate those things to responding to the Wuhan Flu pandemic?

• Cheryl Sunderland

03/25/2020 06:00 PM

It is so true that our President and Mitch McConnell had great emphasis on this vote to pass this relief bill in the Senate. It infuriates me to see Schumer on TV saying that he sided with so many people out of work-YOU BOLD FACED LIAR!! THANK GOODNESS HE AND PELOSI ARE BEING EXPOSED FOR THE TRUE FRAUDS THEY ARE. They do not care about the people, only themselves????

• Norman Leal

03/25/2020 05:54 PM

Mike

Read this..

This has been known by NHK Japan for a long time. Democrats realize they can not win in November with a good economy. They will do anything to disrupt the economy. I am sure Donald Trump knows this. The American people should be told.

• Michas Ohnstad

03/25/2020 05:47 PM

It has been well said that "Freedom is not free; it is not cheap; it is not even reasonable" (with apology to the one who wrote that famous comment). We are seeing the high price that must be paid - the fate and future of the Republic is at stake.. Thank God above for the crucially important leadership of President Trump and the conservative members of Congress who deal with problems foreign and domestic.

• Dawn Street

03/25/2020 05:12 PM

My daughter is a nurse on the Comfort as of March 26 (tomorrow). She has left materials for me to make masks for them to make sure they don't run out. Many are involved in this effort. Check it out on Youtu.be DIY Face Mask - How to make face mask with filter pocket and adjustable wire Sewing tutorial.

Remember in the War of Northern Aggression (yep born in GA and raised in TX and now living in VA under the dictatorship of Northam) the women rolled bandages made from their petticoats. I think during WWI and II they knitted socks and hats. Now we make face masks to protect the warriors on the front line.

• Kathryn J Wix

03/25/2020 05:07 PM

I agree with you Gov. Huckabee. I for one am sick and tired of the Democrats only thinking of the far left and their agenda. For once Pelosi and her ilk think of all the hardworking Americans sitting in the homes waiting for our Congress to do something worthwhile.

• Gail Benensohn

03/25/2020 04:58 PM

You guessed correctly,Governor! They found another way to keep the recession going. May G-d help us all.

• Dawn Street

03/25/2020 04:49 PM

Just praying he was able to keep the "Fraudulent voting made easy" part and the green schiff out of it. Notice I did not really use the other word, just the equivalent. The voting reminded me too much of Texas and Louisiana back in the days of LBJ and his quest for a Senate seat.

• John

03/25/2020 04:40 PM

Mr. Huckabee. Do you really think POTUS is foolish enough to be pressured to allow such a “gotcha” selfish Democrat, “pork-filled”, conniving Bill to leave his desk with his approval signature?

• Douglas Pinckney

03/25/2020 04:37 PM

I would rather not have this bill pass or any rescue bill if it contains any pork belly or leftist backed special interest requests. I wish all Americans would realize and open their eyes and see how much the leftist democrats don't care about what we Americans care about...

• R Reedy

03/25/2020 04:36 PM

If the Bill at least provides for people who lost their income and healthcare, then it’s good for now. If anyone becomes desperate because of this situation, the cost will be much greater and not solvable by $$.

• Terry Story

03/25/2020 04:20 PM

I could probably support this bill if they eliminated all of the "pork" and unrelated nonsense that is contained in the bill. As it currently stands it needs to be either stripped of those onerous provisions or defeated altogether..

• Barbara Gluck

03/25/2020 04:15 PM

What is the threshold for individuals receiving the checks? I'm retired and comfortable enough that I really don't want the check.

• Mitzi Cole

03/25/2020 04:07 PM

And yet there are still those out there that still think President Trump is being so mean to the Dem's. I know some of those people and wonder where they get their information from. I just think, well bless your heart, and avoid political discussions.

• Linda Meyer

03/25/2020 04:06 PM

Thank you Governor, we put our Trump 2020 flag up today. I wish I would have seen the “no more bullstuff” flag first though. I’ve seen a few of them in SE Indiana, and they are “very special”. LOL
    God bless President Trump! And you too Governor!

• Paulette Greer

03/25/2020 04:05 PM

Mike, I agree with you on almost everything. When you brag on our president, it reassures me, because even though I am a Christian and a conservative, sometimes I need reassurance that I am thinking right. I have friends and family that try to make me feel like I am crazy. It is ironic that most seniors feel the same as we do. My daughter, granddaughter, and I met you in 6/13 outside of your studio in New York. We went for her senior trip. She told you she wanted to study cosmetology and you encouraged her. She is now and loves it.
    Thanks for all you do Mike!

Paulette Greer
    3411 Amy Dr
    Nesbit, Ms
    PS: God didn’t put you in charge of the country because are not mean enough to fight the crazy dems.????

• Virginia Young

03/25/2020 03:36 PM

If a bill for abortion and voting for illegals is put thru or same day voting registration is advanced.... I will not be voting either way????????

• Glenda Hall Griffitht

03/25/2020 03:32 PM

Pelosi and her cronnies need to be treated as terrorists, and punished as such!!! PURE EVIL !!! A self entitled ..I can't print the name I would like to!!! Why is abortion so important to her??? Her part of hell will be the hottest, for eternity, along with all the others!!! Obviously, democrats are NOT Christians!!! As hard as it is, I'm told by my Father to pray for these people!!

• Linda Baese

03/25/2020 03:26 PM

Stinking greedy, irresponsible democrats!

• Sigrid H. Yenson

03/25/2020 03:22 PM

Personally I do not trust Congress, never really did. I worked for a state senator for a number of years and state Congress no different than federal. Both sides of the aisle are self serving, minus a few good ones with no influence on the self serving majority.

• Allan Carroll

03/25/2020 03:09 PM

The money congress votes to authorize is taxpayer dollars (my federal income tax). It had better be laser focused at curbing the pandemic. Any extraneous items are irresponsible.

• Keith Kennedy

03/25/2020 03:06 PM

It's times like this when you really see the need for the President to have the line item veto power. This would certainly keep the Democrats from putting useless stuff " (insert you own word here) into needed bills just to make sure it gets voted on and to get the President to sign it when it gets to his desk.

• Dianne Roberts

03/25/2020 03:05 PM

Somebody better check it closely when it goes back from the house. They are NOT trustworthy.

• Carolyn Halford

03/25/2020 02:47 PM

God Bless you Mr President for standing up and not agreeing on the Green New Deal. Praying the this Stimulus Bill will be passed so our country won't go into a recession.