Evening Edition - October 13

October 13, 2020 |

HEARING HIGHLIGHT

I’ll have a full commentary tomorrow on the second day of Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation hearings, but just let the record show that she is incredibly calm in the face of some Norman Bates-level insanity hurled at her by the Democrats. It must be a skill learned from dealing with seven small children. And in a photo that will be one of the historic images of 2020, after giving one solid answer after another, even citing and quoting from legal cases, she was asked to hold up what she in front of her, and she held up a blank notepad. All the Senators questioning her had tons of notes, but she needed no notes to answer them all.

A reminder: she’s being called unqualified for her job by the same Party that wants us to elect a President who can’t even tell us what office he’s running for with a Teleprompter right in front of him.

PERSONAL NOTE FROM "HUCKABEE" WRITER PAT REEDER

While watching the ACB hearings, I’m getting sick of hearing about how affordable health care became under Obamacare. My wife Laura and I are independent contractors, which means we buy our own health insurance. At the time Obamacare passed, we were paying nearly $800 a month for high deductible catastrophic coverage. I thought that was outrageous until the “Affordable Care Act” (Guffaw!) came along.

I got a letter from our insurer saying that we couldn't keep our current policy (even if we liked it?), but we could replace it with a new one that was ACA-compliant. This had a couple of small drawbacks, like that it cost $1,340 a month, and our deductibles would go up by $1,000 a year, each. But on the plus side, it would cover stuff we’d never need in a bazillion years, like prenatal care and drug rehab.

We switched to Liberty Healthshare, a health cost-sharing ministry that didn’t have to be ACA-compliant, and have received much better, and more caring and personal, service ever since. So I guess you could say that, indirectly, the ACA did lead to us getting better, more affordable health care. But only because we were able to find a way to avoid it entirely.

GOOD NEWS ON THE VIRUS FRONT

A new Harvard study suggests that people who survive serious COVID-19 infections have long-lasting antibodies that prevent reinfection for up to four months.

Byron York noted that Twitter banned President Trump for spreading misinformation for saying what this study now confirms. SCIENCE!!

LISTEN TO JOE

He Knows What He’s Talking About: When asked in Cincinnati about a new Gallup poll showing that 56% of Americans think they’re better off today than four years ago so why should they vote for him, Joe Biden replied, “Well, if they think that, they probably shouldn’t.”

So Joe just told 56% of Americans that they shouldn’t vote for him. But he’s not worried; he’ll make up the gap with the mail-in vote.

INTENTIONAL COMEDY

Babylon Bee headline inspired by Joe Biden’s dodging of the “court packing” question: “Democrat Proposing To His Girlfriend Says He Won’t Reveal Position On Adultery Until After The Wedding.”

UNINTENTIONAL COMEDY

A group of protesters outside the Senate used coronavirus fears to blast the Amy Coney Barrett hearings, with one declaring, “They are endangering hundreds of lives by having this hearing right now.” There were in a group protest, and the speaker wasn’t wearing a mask.

A NEW REASON TO HATE NIKE

If you’re looking for a new reason to hate Nike, try this: the ultra-woke sporting apparel giant just severed relations with Frank’s Sports Shop, which has been in The Bronx since the big star of the Yankees was Babe Ruth. After five decades, Nike sent a terse email saying the venerable family-owned store “no longer aligns with our distribution policy…This notice reflects a definitive final decision by the company.”

Moe Stein, the 92-year-old owner of Frank’s, said, “This is plain chutzpah. Let me tell you about Nike. We knew them when they had nothing. How do you like that? They’re putting down the Bronx. The Bronx! It’s not an elite place to them.”

Well, certainly not as elite as Beijing, which seems to be the place Nike is most concerned with these days. But it’s pretty obvious that neither Nike nor the sports leagues they’re in partnership with care much about Americans and their opinions these days, and the feeling is increasingly mutual. Sunday, the Lakers won the Finals over the Miami Heat, and a record low 5.6 million people tuned in. Last year’s game six, between the Warriors and the Raptors, drew 18.34 million viewers.

Liberal outlets like Yahoo Sports are trying to blame many other factors besides all the racial and political messages for the ratings collapse, like the coronavirus forcing multiple sports into competition. For instance, Sunday’s NBA game was opposite an NFL game that drew over 11 million viewers. But by comparison, in 1998, 36.9 million Americans watched the Bulls-Jazz game six alone.

Dallas Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban also tried to deflect the claim that sports fans are sick of in-your-face racial grievance politics, disrespect to America and kowtowing to BLM and China. His view on China: they’re “a customer” and they’re “not the only country with human rights violations.” To his credit, I haven’t seen anyone in basketball spin anything that fast since the Harlem Globetrotters’ Curly Neal spun a basketball on his index finger.

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Cheryl Breon

10/13/2020 10:43 PM

Thank God Trump took care of the part of the ACA that would fine people, etc, but still, a caller to a conservative radio show this morning said that his payment doubled. It's now more than his mortgage per month! And the deductibles meant they'd never really get coverage. These treacherous Democrats (and John Roberts) have no hearts; they are stone.

• Debbie Moseng

10/13/2020 10:28 PM

Not only was there a greater expense, but fining people for not having this affordable health care when they cannot afford to eat. Who brilliant brainstorm was that?

• WILLIAM A KEHLER

10/13/2020 10:20 PM

Let's move half (or all) NBA games to China!

• Bill Greenwell

10/13/2020 10:02 PM

Mike, my wife and I sent a donation to Huckpac. And we would like to send a little to Lindsey Graham and the President. But we are afraid of fraudulent sites online. Please post secure ways to donate!

• Jo Cluck

10/13/2020 09:18 PM

As usual, Gov. Huckabee, you nailed it on Judge Barrett. It has to be a learned skill dealing with ignorance. That didn't come from dealing with her children, but just listening and paying attention to what is important in this world. To her credit, it had to be education and she is superb student and is a terrific listener!! God bless her. And thank you for my evening of "peace reading"..You are great!!

• Carl T Smith

10/13/2020 09:13 PM

I just went thru a few hundred E-Mails replying to all--I Have Already Voted-so quit wasting my time asking for money! If the undecided are still undecided I Hope they observe the left and wear a diaper and shelter in place for the Duration. That would help the Republic immensely. We have enough morons in the media telling their Shepple how to vote because they actually believe they are journalists? That alone earns them 5 of 5 Forrest Gumps. This next election will either Save the Republic or 99% of whites, Blacks and Browns will all become slaves to the Government Plantation. I'm not worried because my funeral is prepaid and I buried the million dollars in gold and silver somewhere in the Coldwater river at Low level. I can't think of a better way to get it dredged to avoid the yearly flooding.

• Charles Nicholson

10/13/2020 09:00 PM

The democrats-there is nothing DEMOCRATIC about a democrat! They can blame “people hurting”- financially I suppose- on the failed policies of the Obama years ie regulations, taxes, lack of leadership, etc!!!!!!!

• Danny Draper

10/13/2020 09:00 PM

Governor, another comment from an old Vietnam Veteran in the beautiful state of Arkansaw! Love your show so keep up the great work. I've been watching the Confirmation Hearing on Judge Barrett. It was hilarious how the senator set up the Democrats by asking her to show them the notes from which she was reading. I just knew it was coming, and when she lifted up the note pad and the only thing written on it was the Senate heading I all most fell out. One would think that all of Congress would want a Supreme Court Judge who demonstrated the moral principles of honesty and integrity that a true Christian follows. What I have seen and read about her reveals she is the kind of judge I would want if I were called before her. She is so bright she and Sarah must be birth sisters. Quick on her feet and never, ever, stumbled in spite of the Democrats trying to catch her in their commitment trap. And poor old Senator Leahy rambled on like a drunken Joe Biden and I still can't figure out what he was trying to say. Maybe he overdosed on Nyquil? Keep up the fight Governor and don't forget the folks over here in Arkansaw who still support you.

• Gary Stilwell

10/13/2020 08:58 PM

Barrett confirmation cannot be logically denied-end of story.
    What is REALLY important are the Senate Seats in contention now--I think the focus should be on those races--and should have been months ago. Loss of control of the Senate to the 'party of riots' will bring this Country to the edge of revolt.

• Jack macdonald

10/13/2020 08:53 PM

How does a Moron like Mark Coban become a billionaire? He has not an ounce of reasoning ability.

• Kathy Wingate

10/13/2020 08:49 PM

Today I filled out a survey online for the GOP. In it I suggested that "they" the powers that be, suggest that more of a point is made about :1, how Kamala Harris came to be Joe Biden's running mate: from Joe's own mouth, it is because she and HUNTER were in law school together, and are good friends.
    Now, that is SOME QUALIFICATION to be POTUS!!! Also, I haven't heard enough from them about her cheering on of the rioters, bailing them out of jail before the ink dried...but on Steven Colbert's show, she literally cheers them on! See at: https://youtu.be/Ku_t-2LgkgM (some of the link is underscored, so if it doesn't work,search Kamala on Colbert on youtube.)
    I am telling my friends, we must all PRAY every day, every hour of every day, that Trump wins this election...So many ways we know the Dems are going to cheat, we must pray it doesn't work...Trump HAS to win!!

• Susan E Egan

10/13/2020 08:42 PM

I watched for 2 days as they questioned the judge. I have to tell you (I am 71 years old) this is the most garbage I have ever seen (next to Cavanaugh hearing lies). I really just wanted to just spit into the face of Cory Booker. That is the closest way to describe what this government show has become.

• Marie Krause

10/13/2020 08:35 PM

I'm watching the hearings. Really impressed with Amy's ability to tolerate the sanctimonious, uppity, disgusting remarks and questions. Prayers going up, but I have no doubts that she'll be appointed with flying colors. Thanks for the humor.........after watching for two days, I needed the laughs .

• Pam Duffy

10/13/2020 08:18 PM

I love your "Evening Editions"! Keep them coming!

Since the last debate, something that has been shoved under the carpet is Biden wearing a wire. I have several videos that show it. I think he had an ear piece of some sort and why he told Pres Trump to "shut up,man" because he couldn't understand the guy squawking in his ear. Your thoughts?

God bless,
    Pam

• Judy Radley

10/13/2020 08:17 PM

Here is a question to you and your wife, Gov. Huckabee, who should we select to be our Medicare provider in New York State? United Healthcare that is endorsed by AARP, but my husband and I refuse to give our information to AARP as I've heard they are a liberal backed org. So we are not members of AARP. We would like a non-liberal company for his Medicare coverage, and it is hard in New York State to find any Conservative based plans. Please let me know via my email noted above. Thank You.

• Kay DeWitt

10/13/2020 08:14 PM

Prior to reading this newsletter, I found myself reading an article that evoked my spontaneous response of, "This message is the insanity of insanities!" I then found myself wondering if you had read it and, IF you did, if you had the slightest inclination to want to write a refute TO this article because I know you could write a great one...in view OF the insanity that authored it!

SO....because I want you TO read this article, if you've NOT already read it, I looked for something you stated in your newsletter that I could make this article relevant to....and, upon reading your article "HEARING HIGHLIGHT", I decided to relate this article to your referring to what was hurled at Judge Amy Coney Barrett as "some Norman Bates-level insanity!"

BELOW is a copy, and paste, of the article I read and I decided TO send it to you because it frightened me as far as how it seemed to underscore the very real possibility of this coming election startlng a civil war! You will note that the very title of this article is insane in view of the fact that it is the Democrats...and their socialist agenda...who are the REAL "enemy of the Constitution" !

Daniel Ellsberg: Trump is an enemy of the Constitution and must be defeated

• Floyd A Unger

10/13/2020 07:56 PM

Great pic of ACB! She looks cool calm and in control. Great things are happening and good days are ahead!

• Becky Barber

10/13/2020 07:45 PM

Such a shame this wonderful lady has to be HOUNDED by the likes of THEM DEMS??????

• James Drury Jr

10/13/2020 07:39 PM

Thanks Mike & Staff!

• Stephen Russell

10/13/2020 07:34 PM

Can U post Presidents Trump HC plan??
    Never seen before
    & love to see medical types sign off Plan vs Obamacare
    Thanks

• Ray Cowden Witter

10/13/2020 06:53 PM

I abide with your daily thoughts from our Bible.

• Cindy Marcum

10/13/2020 06:40 PM

Once Marketplace took hold of insurance, it was a disaster. It caused my work insurance premiums to go up along with the deductible. I worked in insurance billing and it was a nightmare for people to get out of the plans once they opted for their own plans. I finally joined Christian Healthcare Ministries to afford my healthcare again. I am so thankful for their caring and wonderful sharing program.

• Alicia Kaye Cullen

10/13/2020 06:34 PM

What a wonderful and full recount today. Well said, and you leave on a high note.

• Elizabeth Crouse

10/13/2020 06:31 PM

I am 87 but I fear for America and my grandchildren. I have never witnessed such evil and lies by so called leaders. Heartbreaking

• Michael Salisbury

10/13/2020 06:26 PM

Why are the Democrats so worried about the Affordable Care Act? Shortly after they passed it they all opted out! If it’s so good, then they too should be forced to have their medical insurance under the ACA! I’ll bet if that happened, it would be repealed! After all, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander!