The Oscars

February 23, 2017

Most Republicans expect that Sunday’s Oscars will be wall-to-wall Trump bashing, because why wouldn’t a celebration of movies be a perfectly appropriate place to harangue viewers with your leftwing political opinions? (When you’re done with that, why not also list all the foods you hate before saying thanks to your agent? Because we all care just as much.) But as with the Grammy Awards, I have to wonder if anyone in show business understands the damage they’re doing to their own industries.

Both music and movies are facing falling revenues and stiff competition due to file sharing, video games, and a thousand other cuts bleeding their traditional business models dry. Yet when they’re presented with an annual three-hours of prime commercial time to sell their wares, they take it as an opportunity to make divisive, insulting political comments that insure at least half their potential audience will change the channel. Or else turn off the TV entirely and spend the rest of the evening making out their celebrity boycott lists.

If they do, chances are they won’t miss much that they care about, anyway. A Hollywood Reporter poll found that even with NINE “Best Picture” nominees to choose from (were there really that many good movies this year?), only about a third of Americans could name even one. If Hollywood studios don’t want to go the way of the prehistoric fossils in the LaBrea Tar Pits, they should take the advice of someone they seem to respect, Woody Allen. In his movie “Stardust Memories,” he plays a successful comic who now makes pretentious art films that nobody wants to see. In a dream, he meets space aliens and starts asking them about God and human suffering. They reply, “If you want to do mankind a real service, tell funnier jokes.”

All the Oscar participants should take the advice of Woody Allen’s aliens. Instead of rending your garments over your political angst (those are expensive duds, and the designers want them back), stick to the point and open with a joke. That might keep millions of Republicans from turning off the Oscars. Unless they’re nothing but Trump jokes, which I fully expect them to be.

Please leave me a comment below. I read them!

• Tracie Wilson

02/25/2017 01:19 PM

I want them all to take down the walls around this houses, because they don't believe in walls to protect us peasants. I want the to take in refugees in their guest houses and rooms and then they have the right to lecture the rest of the world.

• Anne Pickens

02/25/2017 01:10 PM

I used to look forward to award show season and all the beautiful dresses. After Merle Streep's speech I turned off the Golden Globes and haven't watched another one since. I won't watch Sunday either! Very disappointed in Streep and I used to love her.

• Michelle Wagner

02/25/2017 12:16 PM

I agree with you people are sick and tired of their opinions, and the extravagant gifts they get, that money could be used to help veterans or homeless. These stars don't need that stuff!! Shameful just shameful on the other hand maybe the believers will have their say and shut the liberals up Go God go!!

• Kae Olson

02/25/2017 10:24 AM

Thank you for sharing what is on our hearts. We love the movies, however, will no longer watch the Oscars. We choose which movies we attend and the celebrities we watch. Who ever gave them the right to speak for us. They should Keep their options to
    themselves. If I got an award for my work it would not give me the right to voice my political views because I did a good job. When will these over paid actors realize there fans hold their success!

• Tessa Andrada

02/25/2017 03:46 AM

I stopped watching the awards shows a long time ago... last I saw was around 1979 or earlier while I was in High School... and I am not planning to see any in the future ....

• Gaylene vanhook

02/24/2017 11:09 PM

I will not watch and have stopped watching or recording certain tv shows. Watching lot of Hallmark movies. I will not got to another Meryl Streep movie.

• Barbara McCroskey

02/24/2017 10:43 PM

I won't be watching. I do not care what their opinions are about politics, and getting to the point of not caring what they offer in the way of entertainment.

• T K

02/24/2017 10:19 PM

I will not be watching. I do not need Hollywood. They have really shown their true colors. I am thankful they are exposing themselves before the American public. If Hollywood was shut down tomorrow it would be fine with me.

• CatinHiding

02/24/2017 07:47 PM

I do not plan to watch as the last one unnerved me with Merle Streep using her time slot to disrespect the President of the U.S. Her "opinion" is her right, but do not shove it down everyone's throats. We are not influenced by her but instead offended. She is 'only' an actress, not a leader, & she has no power whatsoever over the American people or how they vote. I think the Stars in her eyes have blinded her to this reality. I use to respect her but no longer do and that is my opinion of Merle Streep. Thanks for ruining the Oscars for over half of America!

• Beth Mellinger

02/24/2017 07:36 PM

Won't be watching...
    They are human beings who can memorize lines. We pay their salaries when buying outrageous tickets at the movie theater. They do not speak for me. And out of all those I respect and allow to speak into my life, they are not on the list! #getoveryourselfhollywood

• Debra Vollrath

02/24/2017 06:20 PM

NOT watching! We want to be entertained, not lectured!

• Kelly Marr Asbury

02/24/2017 05:39 PM

Won't watch. They don't realize that they are only preaching to themselves. They think they are so important that they can actually influence the people. They really are such a joke and are helping ruin their industry. Have not seen one movie that is nominated. I will wait until I can see them for free.

• Marsha Drennen

02/24/2017 04:57 PM

I have always loved to watch the Oscar's because I love watching movies but I do not like to listen to the stars up on their soapbox. I want entertainment which is what they are suppose to be celebrating!!!!

• Vivian Foster

02/24/2017 03:08 PM

I won't be watching. Meryl Streep's tirade truly deeply offended me. I love movies and great TV shows but I don't need to be lectured by someone who is paid to entertain me.

• Ann King

02/24/2017 01:45 PM

I have no intention of watching, after their awful behavior in the earlier awards this year. And I am sad to say I am now done with Meryl.

• Kathy Markowski

02/24/2017 01:29 PM

I will not be watching at all. I was so horrified at Meryl Streeps monologue that I vow to never be a hostage to that again. I used to admire her. I'm very disappointed in what she did.

• Linda Matteson

02/24/2017 01:07 PM

I won't be watching the Oscars this year as I haven't for the last three. It's just Hollywood finding a way to give themselves more awards. I'm sick of the entertainment business and their opinions on politics.

• Tom Derry

02/24/2017 12:48 PM

Do you think it would be possible for them not to want to have themselves repeated over and over by the media??

• Anne reyes

02/24/2017 10:03 AM

We are a captive audience only if we choose to be!

• Carol Harris

02/24/2017 09:41 AM

I haven't seen good actors/actresses in at least 20 years. I don't watch the movies due to foul language and nudity and violence. Certainly not going to subject myself to watching people with this superiority attitudes. Count me out.

• eileen Rabish

02/24/2017 09:24 AM

I am a senior citizen . I used to enjoy going to the movies with my friends. Now they are mostly terrible vulgar movies. I am so disappointed in the actors and actresses with their political rants. I really don't care what they think. one of my biggest disappointments was Tom Hanks, I always admired him and thought he was above this. I and no one I know will be watching the Oscars because they don't deserve my time. I'll stick to the old movies on TV and honor Jimmy Stewart!

• Kareth Baber

02/24/2017 07:46 AM

The awards shows is not the time or place for their political opinions. That's not why people watch the show. In the past, I would only watch some of it then get bored with all the praise and change the channel. Thanks to what Ms Streep got started, I won't be watching at all anymore! I hope millions will boycott the Oscar awards! #Boycottoscars

• Red Hat Nana

02/24/2017 07:43 AM

Meryl Streep's diatribe was enough. I've quit watching the awards shows.

• Liz Evans

02/24/2017 05:25 AM

I have such a hard time listening to people who basically pretend to be someone or something they are not. Personally I DO NOT care what an entertainer thinks about politics or the environment or global warming and I am sure they would not care what I think. What I deplore is that the media has set them apart as some sort of idol to be worshiped. We all know what God feels about worshiping false idols! I pray for their souls that is the best I can do.

• Darlene Giuliani

02/24/2017 04:00 AM

I for one will not watch this group of liberals. Who cares about their comments? Sad,as I used to see them for their acting skills now I just see angry people not really caring about our country!! And you are correct, they have no clue how they r hurting their business.

• Judie Symith

02/24/2017 03:12 AM

I can find a lot more interesting things to do than listen to jokes that are not funny, look at half naked ladies and listen to them praise each other.I have quit going to the movies and spending money watching something that I am embarrassed or bored by. I still can't understand why celebrities think they have so much smarts that we little ordinary people would pay them any mind.

• Jo Powell

02/24/2017 02:14 AM

I have been boycotting the whole bunch of these disgusting nasty liberals. How can any true Republican even turn on that boob tube Sunday night. Come to your senses you know what going to happen so don't watch it.

• DIANE CHERECHINSKY

02/24/2017 02:09 AM

I will NOT be watching the awards! Did not watch the grammys or any other awards show.The few movies I have attended,the theater was almost empty.We will not tolerat these entitled magots in Hollywood.We do not need them,but they do need us.

• Sherri Maeshima

02/24/2017 01:57 AM

I completely agree with your thought that the celebs should make good use of their prime time to talk about their beloved industry. Social media is always there to send out their thoughts; why not rise above and talk about their craft they love so much. The only movie ?? I cared about was Sully and it was basically snubbed so no reason to watch just on that! Whatever happens, and I'm sure there will be a lot, will be all over the news the next day and I'll be able to find out about it in a few minutes rather than the agony of watching the entire 3 hours!

• Toni Porter

02/24/2017 01:53 AM

I use to love watching the oscars, Grammys, even the super bowl (and I'm not a football fan), but this Sunday I will be watching the season finally of Victoria on PBS and maybe some HGTV! I can't take the whining celebrities any longer! They have nothing to say! And what they do say is purely out of touch with actual hard working Americans (like my family) who have suffered the last 8 years from harmful policies and a terrible economy! Trump wasn't elected by accident! 1.) the thought of Hillary as president was so terrifying and 4 more years of the same crude was not the answer! 2.) Trump actually have me hope! Hope that for once this beautiful country of ours would return to being a strong and respected country (not some laughable joke), that maybe AMERICANS can get back to work and finally on the positive side of their finances and in control of THEIR healthcare! That maybe protecting our borders and strengthening our military just might make our country safer! Celebrities are quick to complain and criticize but slow to act when help is actually needed (like in California with the flood). So as a proud LEGAL British immigrants daughter born in the best country in the world, I will spend my time enjoying the God given blessings he has bestowed upon me and maybe just read a book to my growing boys! No need to see some entitled celebrity lecture me on policies that have don't nothing but made my families life harder! Though it is rather amusing to see their reaction to Trumps executive orders basically taking their years of ruining the country and making it "for the people once again"! It's starting to get pathetic and even some democrats are seeing the light (even if it's a tad dim)!

• Orice Walters

02/24/2017 12:54 AM

I would not go to a movie again of Merle Streeps(I use to like her), but I will goto see The Shack that is suppose to be out soon. Movie stars and Hollywood are making all stars use to be's. They are their own worst enemies.

• Susie Kirk

02/24/2017 12:50 AM

Good essay, Mike! I really feel grieved because I have always loved the Oscars! Been watching since the 1960s! Now they are ruined by this childish protest behavior. I don't think I can bring myself to watch the 2017 Oscar show this year. If they are going to make it a bashing party, it should not be on TV anymore. Don't they realize they are just alienating 50% or more of America? Sad! End of an era!

• Barby Blackburn

02/24/2017 12:02 AM

Just wanted to say that I, speaking as a deplorable, will definitely NOT be watching the Academy Awards. I've been watching for as long as I can remember, even tip-toeing out of my bedroom as a kid to hide behind a large chair in our living room to sneak a peek at the gorgeous evening gowns and celebrities. Now Red Carpet interviews and the award shows themselves are chock-full of rude, obnoxious anti-Trump jokes, and actors full of tbemselves beating their chests with self-righteous indignation and hatred for President Trump. This sort of display of supposed moral superiority by Hollywood is notbing new. One example that comes to mind is when Marlon Brando had Sasheen Littlefeather, a native American, accept his Oscar for best actor in "The Godfather" to make a point. Since President Trump's election, late night talk shows, women's "interest" shows such as the infamous The View, as well as numerous award shows such as The Golden Globes have inundated viewers with anti-Trump rhetoric. This one viewer says Enough! I enjoyed seeing the evening gowns and glamor. I'm weary of the political bleating and self-congratulations.

• Debby Cook

02/23/2017 11:45 PM

None of them believe in capitalism anyway...except when they sign a contract. They do give all that filthy money away after they finish the film, right??

• Rini Stephenson

02/23/2017 11:34 PM

Sunday night I'll be at evening service. :)

• LINDA COWLEY

02/23/2017 11:26 PM

I won't even give them the opportunity to offend me. I quit watching this stuff a long time ago.

• George Maharis

02/23/2017 11:13 PM

I totally agree! Count me absent from their 'show' - which I used to look forward to, and watch. Not this year - big, whiney, overrated babies. I am sick of it. Trump is keeping his campaign promises. Multitudes of us had to endure O for 8 years, and now face the repair of his damages for a long, long time. I did not burn any flags, damage property, block roads, etc., etc. It is sad to see what has become of our country - I am old enough to have lived through better times. I pray for redemption.

• Marjorie Gill

02/23/2017 10:57 PM

Sen. Huckabee, I am a big fan! I am also a very young 75 (!) who was a Democrat for many years, and a lover of Hollywood. Today, my progressive (I use the term ironically) son thinks his father and I are raging lunatics -- Conservative Christians!! I an ashamed of the Democrat Party, and am embarrassed by Hollywood. I have no intention of watching the Oscars (which was a big thing when I was growing up). I only hope President Trump and the rest of you can save our Country!!

• The Wards

02/23/2017 10:44 PM

We are planning on skipping them entirely!

• Gwen long

02/23/2017 10:41 PM

I won't be watching. Anything to do with Hollywood is on my NeverNever List.
    A night to be honored but they prefer to act like buzzards.

• Gary Truckey

02/23/2017 10:29 PM

Governor;
    I can't believe no one has commented yet. I hope that you do indeed read this, because I really am a fan of yours. Anyway, I've stopped reading or watching anything about the entertainment industry (unless it's about Country music). I've even stopped watching any news except maybe Fox News. The entertainers can continue to pander to their base, but they are going to eventually lose credibility with the average fair-minded citizen. Even my wife, who is rather liberal in her views (but with a heart of gold that redeems her every day) says to me that she wished that "they would just give Trump a chance." (She's a lovely ol' gal!)

Anyways, thank you for your courage and willingness to fight for us. Your fan, Gary Truckey

• Tonya crockett

02/23/2017 10:26 PM

Does anyone remember the man they admire raped his step daughter? 14 years old. The great and talented Woody Allen! Sick world these celebrities live in.

• Marilyn Henley

02/23/2017 10:12 PM

Not even planning to tune into the Oscars.....I simply don't want to hear the Trump bashing. By the way, I think you are a phenomenal man, good CHRISTIAN values and conservative views. I read all your FB posts. So glad you are expressing your thoughts!

• Joe Someone

02/23/2017 10:04 PM

That Woody Allen quote isn't just about the quality of a joke, it's about the pursuit of excellence. As they typically are, most of the best picture nominees are small budget films. Most in the current line up were limited release. That's why so few people had heard of them. But they are excellent. Widely considered the best group since '07. Rather than concern yourself particular group because of the sloppy way they express their views, perhaps you should pursue the same excellence in your art as they clearly have in theirs.

• Mary Banuelos

02/23/2017 09:54 PM

Haven't watched these awards shows in years mainly because of all the left wing political crap. My solution has always been take a stand Boycott what you don't believe in.

• Shay Connelly

02/23/2017 09:46 PM

Not watching Oscars this year. We are having a Fred/Ginger night. The classics of Ginger and Fred spinning gracefully across the screen in b/w. AND Fred and Ginger never used foul language or threw mean spirited barbs. They made movies(their job) and made the world beautiful and joyful for an hour!

• Carol Tallant

02/23/2017 09:45 PM

I will not be watching the Oscars for the same reason I watch nothing but Fox News - It's Propaganda. The Nerve they have to treat President Trump so badly. I will support President Trump as long as he is our President.

• Dianne Cannon

02/23/2017 09:28 PM

Not going to waste my time watching award shows. Hollywood presumtive "know it alls" believe they are the real We the People where their votes are more VALUABLE!!!

• Vicki Smith

02/23/2017 09:17 PM

Our family will not support hatred or divisiveness, which we believe is a personal assault. We will not watch nor have we watched award shows since the 2016 campaign...long before Meryl Streep's arrogant rant. It merely took all the posts by actors on social media to prompt our decision to pull our support from those who mark those of us who supported President Trump as uneducated bigots and haters. We hope their pocketbooks are greatly impacted and that many hard working Americans boycott performances and movies. After all, they live in luxury because of our dollars. By the way, our family pulled away from NBC, our primary news source for years...we only obtain news from Fox, CBN and Jay Sekulow of the ACLJ!

• Anita Azzarello

02/23/2017 09:15 PM

I stopped watching award shows last year when they played the racist card for not having Black people nominated for the Academy Awards.