News roundup - Justice served

March 2, 2019

After watching violent leftists run roughshod over other people’s rights (and bodies), I’m happy to provide you with an overdue roundup of news about justice finally being served.

In Somerset, New Jersey, a 19-year-old male has been identified and charged with assault and harassment for allegedly attacking an 81-year-old man because he was wearing a MAGA cap while grocery shopping.

Over a week after a sickening violent assault on a conservative student at UC-Berkeley was captured on video, a suspect has finally been identified and arrested.  The victim is still suffering concussion-like symptoms from the brutal punches in the face that he endured, simply because the leftist thug was “triggered” by a sign saying that fake hate crimes harm victims of real hate crimes.  Since he’s obviously passionate about prosecuting real hate crimes, let’s hope they charge him with committing one.

Finally, the Washington Post at long last has walked back its false reporting that the Covington, Kentucky, Catholic students sparked a confrontation with a Native American activist.  Both the full video of the event and an independent investigation proved that the boys were the ones confronted and taunted, and they did nothing wrong.  In fact, they showed admirable maturity and restraint in the midst of a tense situation.

But read WaPo’s statement and note what it doesn’t say (like “We apologize for getting this story completely wrong.”) It’s phrased like a bland “correction,” but their initial story didn’t need just a “correction;” it was the exact opposite of what actually happened and required a full retraction.  For instance, the boys didn’t make offensive racist remarks to anyone, but offensive racist remarks were shouted at them. WaPo’s story was nothing but a lazy regurgitation of a leftist Internet hit job on some innocent kids just because they were wearing MAGA caps and coming from a pro-life rally.

As to WaPo’s weasely claim that the situation was more “complicated” that it first seemed: no, it wasn’t.   They reported something they wanted to be true that was the opposite of what actually happened.  That’s not “complicated,” it’s just plain old bias.

WaPo appears to be doing damage control now that they’re facing a $250 million defamation lawsuit, but it’s too little too late.  Any journalist can make a forgivable mistake.  That’s why reporting is called “the first draft of history.”  As scrupulous as we are here about fact-checking, we often have to make corrections as new information comes to light (did anyone even get Jussie Smollett’s name spelled correctly in the first bulletins involving him?)

But this story is not the result of rushing to meet a deadline with insufficient information.  The Post, and all the other media outlets that printed the story that nearly destroyed those boys’ lives and subjected them to death threats, did so without bothering to do the slightest due diligence on the facts.  There was a full video showing what really happened; did they even look at it before going to press with the false version?  Obviously not.  And not because journalism is “history in a hurry,” but because they were so biased that if it fit with their narrative that conservatives/Trump supporters/anyone in a red MAGA cap is a violent, thuggish racist, then that’s all they needed to know to run with it.

This shows one more danger of having a biased news media that puts politics above professionalism.  It’s bad enough that ever since the Tea Party movement started, leftists have avoided thinking about why people rejected their failed policies by deluding themselves with the slanderous claim that anyone who disagrees with them is a fascist or racist (even the black people and other minorities who attended Tea Party rallies.)  That’s carried over times ten to Trump supporters.  If the media insist on protecting Democrats, they’d be doing them a bigger favor if they told the truth instead of simply repeating their self-serving talking points.  Over the long haul, it’s not healthy for anyone to believe their own bull hockey.

And it’s not good for the media, either, since I doubt that mealy-mouthed “correction” is going to convince the kid from Covington to drop his $250 million lawsuit.  Let’s hope that when he owns the Post, he’ll do a better job of running it.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Dennis Mackowiak

03/06/2019 12:47 PM

Well said..

• Alan Doud

03/04/2019 07:05 AM

Deliberate irresponsible and deceptive reporting is nothing new. I have had personal experience with this as far back as the 1970’s. News agencies practicing editing to make things appear differently should be held severely responsible. I have two suggestions. Since this was a terrorist attack of sorts I think the author should be held as responsible as the principle and charged accordingly. I believe that this report caused other problems. I also suggest that the News Agency be forced to write front page or in the beginning of the program for a solid year an apology. Such an action would more than likely stop such practices. $250,000,000 is likely a pittance to what they made from the publication and hardly a punishment.

• Shelia Sargent

03/04/2019 12:13 AM

Mr. Huckabee, I love you and your daughter's faithfulness to our country and our President. Thank you for your columns. You make me feel like there is some hope for this country to get back on its axis again. The democrat party has went insane. You are a breath of fresh air!

• Fred Moren

03/03/2019 09:13 PM

We need to somehow hold the fake news networks liable for their blunt lies and the justice system need to speedy up the process when networks are brought to court in order to rectify a wrong. Networks apparently feel that the power they have with the media places them above the law, I am sick of hearing the lies these networks convey to the American people. Unfortunately, not all Americans see through the lies of these networks, many Americans are believing the lies and in the end it is hurting our great nation.

• Doug Morgan

03/03/2019 03:05 PM

Governor, I love your summary of news of the day and I trust you to have fact checked what you write. However, the bottom line is nothing will change, the media will continue bashing Trump and all conservatives because I believe they are demon possessed and they can't help themselves. I would love to be able to effectively help organize a force to show the conservative side but I don't know how. I send money to some of the efforts but there is so many of them I wonder if they are scam artists under a conservative cause disguise. Everyone in a leadership position of whatever "cause" they are organizing for only want money. We know from watching our government that money thrown at a problem doesn't really solve it. It would be nice to have another "TEA" party phenomenon that will bring conservatives together with a message to the country that there are millions of us who are very tired of the Leftist strong arm tactics and we will not be pushed any farther.

• Linda L. Gleason

03/03/2019 09:04 AM

I've never been more troubled about the direction of our country. Like you, I am a former Arkansan... and a Christian. I have little voice but the one in my prayers and the words that come to me following them....

Take Heart

The seeds of discord have been sown.
    What was a pebble became a stone.
    The stone has now rolled down the hill.
    It bids the masses to do its will.

We look no farther than the end of our nose.
    We see only the runner in our sister’s hose.
    We multiply debts that we are owed
    And ask another to carry our load.

There is no longer a sense of “us.”
    We stomp our feet and raise the dust.
    The dust then blinds our biased eyes.
    It numbs our senses and perpetrates lies.

As the world weeps in agony and grief,
    We turn our backs and shun relief.
    It is “I” who matter… …no one but myself,
    My grudges, like trophies, displayed on a shelf.

A chink in the armor has weakened the knight.
    The difference is blurred between wrong and right.
    The compass needle points north no more.
    Each side lines up to even the score.

‘Tis in this fight that we all lose.
    Hatred spreads and bodies bruise.
    Spirit dies like a dog in the street;
    Kicked to the curb all battered and beat.

And still we continue to fan the flames
    By lining up and calling names.
    We fight the battle but lose the war.
    The victims die; the survivors scar.

All are painted with a tar stained brush.
    The huddled masses in too big a rush.
    We destroy the message and the messenger, too.
    Humanity is lost for we’ve run out of glue.

Time is wasting; we have too much to lose.
    Gather your thoughts and put on your shoes.
    Get on your knees and learn how to stand.
    Together, as one, we can heal this great land.

(1)

Take Heart
    (continued)

Worth isn’t determined by wealth or by need;
    Instead it is planted in hearts like a seed.
    If nurtured and tended it surely will grow.
    We all must remember, “We reap what we sow.”

By God’s own design, we each have a heart
    Which continues to beat until we depart.
    When we look at our brother and call him by name,
    It’s easy to see we are one and the same.

Let your heartbeat remind you that love conquers all.
    It will lighten your burdens and make troubles seem small.
    Love is the only gift ever given away,
    That by faith we’ll take with us to Heaven someday.

~ Linda Lee Gleason ~

Only light can conquer the darkness.
    Only love can heal the heart.

In mankind, hearts come in only one color.
    ***

What has happened to US?
    For a people who have come so far,
    who among us is willing to throw it all away?
    Put simply, we have too much to lose…
    and, like it or not, we are all connected.

This world is not, nor will it ever be, Heaven…
    and, we who inhabit it are not Saints. Sadly, we are sinners.
    With many hearts and hands working together,
    with God’s help, we sinners can make our world an US…
    and, being an US is the closest we’ll come to Heaven in this life.
    The choice is ours.

In gathering thoughts for the words above,
    I realized the significance of describing our people as “us”
    and how as a nation, we in the United States define ourselves as the U.S.
    Some may see this as ironic…. or coincidence.

Could there be an even more significant meaning?
    How awesome to think of US as United Souls….
    faithful in prayer, obedient in will
    and confident in knowing God is always watching over US?

• Carl Cold

03/03/2019 07:50 AM

Thank you so much for your updates Mike. Please keep them coming and by the way your daughter is doing an outstanding job at the Whitehouse. God bless and keep you and your family. MAGA!

• SUSIE JOHNSON and Denyse Martin

03/03/2019 05:15 AM

Now it is Nancy Pelosi who is demanding that Democrats not side (vote) with Republicans when they agree on the subject. She said that "Speaker of the House" is a very powerful position, and it seems she intends to push the power to the limit. Too bad she cannot be impeached.

• Robert Rhoades

03/03/2019 04:00 AM

When I hear of a young (19 year old) person attacking an elderly (81 year old). my mind goes to the heart of the matter. The poor older person had to suffer because the 19 year old's parents didn't teach him how to contain his anger. Worse, the 19 year old had so much anger is a definite sign that he needs a Savior to save him from the hell that is raging in his heart. I pray for the older man, that he would recover. I pray for the younger man, that he would be saved.

• JOHN W. CARGILE

03/02/2019 11:12 PM

YES I HOPE THE YOUNG MAN GETS A POT FULL FROM EACH ENTITY THAT FALSE CHARGED. MY WIFE THINKS HE WAS SMIRKING. HE WAS NOT HE WAS JUST WAITING FOR HIS TURN TO TALK TO THE DRUMMER.

• April

03/02/2019 08:35 PM

I personally think the liberal MSM is trying to make a war break out in this country.. they undermine race relations in this country and promote hatred.. I praise Jesus every day that he allows me to see through the lies and deceit of what is called media these days in the US. I have stopped watching MSM and have turned to an alternative collection of media sources from around the world on you tube.. I simply can’t deal with the all propaganda and opinions pieces that are so targeted and hateful especially to my fellow Americans and especially my fellow Christians! I can see the Satanic forces at work against Christians in this country ( especially with the Humanist Society’s attacks and lawsuits against the same freedoms that many in the military fought for) and I know that this is not the same America that I grew up in .. America has drifted so far away from God that I feel as though we have become a less compassionate as a nation as we have allowed so much leftist identity politics to divide our American culture. We need to be united as one American culture under God and indivisible again.

• April

03/02/2019 08:34 PM

• Oscar Williams

03/02/2019 07:29 PM

Correction, please: WaPo didn't WANT the story to be true. They KNEW it was false and officially LIED IN PRINT! Their response to the TRUTH is the old Rag Retort that says if you're picking someone's pocket and they protest, don't stop until they cut your hand off! Well, I SINCERELY hope the Covington Boys' Lawyer has a CLEAVER! And I want to WATCH!

• Joyce Massie

03/02/2019 05:19 PM

I hope he does end up owning it.

• Anita

03/02/2019 05:10 PM

Thank you Mike for reporting facts. God Bless You and your family.

• Barbara Johnson

03/02/2019 04:57 PM

Thank you Mr Huckabee, you are a breath of fresh air in this chaotic world today. I hope and pray the Covington student gets everything he asks for. I only wish I could be on the jury so I could award him more. I also think he should go after the other group that was actually the violent racist instigators.

• Robert W Johnson

03/02/2019 04:35 PM

When will, if any will, the Republican National Committee, Justice Department, Senate/Congress really go after voter fraud/falsification of ballots? (EXCEPT Judicial Watch) The "bundling" of Absentee Ballots ,especially in CA and NY is a disgrace tour Constitution. And we have/states/elected officials filing suit against putting the question of citizenship on the Census forms??

• William Patrick Monaghan

03/02/2019 04:26 PM

Mr Huckabee, I hate to say this but the bottom line is nothing will change, the media will continue bashing Trump and all conservatives because that is their agenda.

• Joseph

03/02/2019 04:08 PM

I for one hope he does win his case and hope he gets a Conservative judge other wise he probably won't get a dime. The use of the word Journalist is a misnomer as their really aren't very many out there still alive. The proper name today would be propagandist or left arm of the Democrat party . With Socialists like George Soros funding even the highest Republicans it is no wonder we now have a one Party system in this Country, known as Democratic Socialist Party. this kind of leftist reporting is the Democrats MO.

• Bill Royer

03/02/2019 04:06 PM

Re your post “Justice Served” about some of the violent instigators and perps from the Left being caught. IMO, it is of utmost importance to catch and severely punish perpetrators of violent acts (particularly, as in this case) of suppressing any dissent through intimidation or violence. That applies wherever on the political spectrum the perp resides. Failure to do this is only encouragement to escalate the scale and spread until it turns into mob behavior — which, in the case of Antifa, it already is.

• Pam cunningham

03/02/2019 03:57 PM

Mr. Mike Huckabee thanks for all u do. I pray that our country gets back to our creator, our Lord ,& God! Maybe God bless u & yours!

• MICHAEL D LONG

03/02/2019 03:52 PM

TALK, TALK, TALK BUT NOT MUCH WALKING.. NO JUSTICE UNTIL DOJ STARTS GRAND JURY , EVIDENCE IS SUBMITTED, INDICTMENTS AND ARREST......AND CONVICTIONS............

• Teresa

03/02/2019 03:01 PM

Love what you do Mike! Thank you!!!

• Jewels Martorana

03/02/2019 02:35 PM

I believe the leftists are definitely trying to start a Civil War. I don’t know what their plan is, but we all know it’s not good. And yet they weren’t even smart enough to wait until after the next election to start killing innocent babies for profit. American babies! In fact, let them die in front of their mothers because she has the blues. They are not only sick & insane, but they have to be followers of Satan. Followers of Baal or one of Satan’s gods. So disturbing any way you look at it.

• Nelson Reynolds

03/02/2019 02:21 PM

I am totally appalled at the actions of the Democratic Party. Years ago there seemed to be only some basic differences between republicans and democrats. I registered as a democrat. I voted for the person and what they stood for before I stayed within party lines. Holding to Biblical moral values was the first impass a candidate had to hold to for me and then their political views. Now it appears the Democratic Party that I once a part of has been hijacked by liberals and radicals that seem to absolutely no moral value and absolutely no Biblical moral values. I became so ashamed of the Democratic Party as a Christian I felt there was no way I could remain in the Party without being a traitor to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I switched to the Republican Party along with my wife. We pray for our nation and its leaders. I know each Party is made up of different people, some not Christians but they to should be holding at least to the constitution of the US.