From Chip:

I see that you did not post my comments yesterday disagreeing with your column and supporting Gen. Flynn’s sentencing. It would appear you only post comments agreeing with your column’s stated position, even though I acknowledged your right to hold your own opinion. Somewhat disingenuous on your part, is it not?

From the Gov:

Thanks for writing (again), Chip. We did post your original comments; occasionally it takes a while to get them moderated and posted. In fact, your letter shows up twice. We print comments that disagree with me all the time –- as long as they are clean, which they often aren’t –- typically even singling them out for a response, as is happening right now. I actually enjoy being put in the “hot seat” and defending why I believe as I do. So here is what you originally wrote, for the third time now...

From Chip:

I disagree. You’re entitled to your own opinion, but Gen. Flynn was judged guilty as charged. He should have gotten a prison sentence from the beginning.

Now, here are a couple of others who also disagreed with me. Afterwards, I’ll reply to all three.

From Robert:

Haven't read your "story" yet (I'll read it later...), but I always go back to: if Flynn had been candid with Trump/Pence he wouldn't be "frying in his own hot water" (kinda a mixed metaphor, which goes with the turf). They would have "had his back"... Trump (like Harry Truman) may be loyal to a fault, but don't cross him. It is my understanding that Flynn made a "bad move"…

From Ronald:

I don't agree with the way they caught Flynn but the fact remains he lied. It really doesn't matter that the meeting with FBI was informal or that he did not have an attorney present. There are many others on the Democrat side that hopefully suffer from some jail time but as you have said there is a double standard in Washington.

...............

From the Gov:

Yes, there certainly is a double standard in Washington. Flynn was targeted by an intel community headed by people we KNOW lied under oath. I don’t mean getting something wrong while being unknowingly ambushed, as Flynn was, just days into his new White House job --- I mean huge whoppers under oath, flat-out deliberate deception. Yet they are still free, with book deals and big-time media jobs.

It is also my understanding that they still retain their security clearances, except for former FBI Director James Comey, who apparently gave his up so he wouldn’t be able to testify about some matters that are classified. He could have kept it if he’d chosen to. Pretty slick, huh?

But let’s set aside the double standard, glaring as it is, and examine what Paul Harvey would have called “the rest of the story.” I would advise anyone who believes Flynn, after all he’s been through, deserves prison to read Lee Smith’s book, THE PLOT AGAINST THE PRESIDENT. Much of what I relate here can be found in great detail in that book.

Most people known little about Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn’s background. Flynn was considered to be the top military intelligence officer of his generation. But the way he wanted to revolutionize the use of intelligence on the battlefield put him at odds with the bureaucracy. He didn’t want to have to send intelligence to committees in Washington DC and wait for days or weeks for them to analyze it and then tell him what orders to give on the battlefield. He wanted to lessen their influence. So the bureaucrats felt threatened by him.

He was also quite vocally opposed to the Iran deal, Obama’s baby. Flynn repeatedly challenged Obama’s policies. (No wonder Trump thought he’d make a great national security adviser!) By 2012, the White House saw Flynn as an enemy. My point is, a lot of people were out to get Flynn, from President Obama on down.

I’ve written before about the dinner held in Flynn’s honor in London in 2014 that introduced him to Moscow-born Svetlana Lokhova. The details of this meeting are in Chapter 2 of Smith’s book; it appears to have been used as a set-up to make it appear that Flynn was romantically involved with an attractive Russian spy. The group hosting the dinner had ties to “confidential human source” Stefan Halper, who would also be involved in SPYING on Carter Page and George Papadopoulos.

This is just one of multiple examples of the intel community’s targeting of Flynn. These involved many of the same names associated with Hillary’s “Mid-Year Exam” and Trump’s “Crossfire Hurricane” investigations. Again, please read Lee Smith’s excellent book.

Let’s move on to the transition period. Two days after Trump won, outgoing President Obama briefed him and spent much of that time, to Trump’s bewilderment, running down Flynn. (No kidding; Obama knew Flynn would dismantle the Iran deal if he could.) And In his new position, Flynn really wanted to reform the intel community, so they wanted to take him down. (As Sen. Chuck Schumer has said, you mess with the intelligence community and they’ll get you “six ways from Sunday.”) Keep in mind that Obama had hundreds of allies within the intel bureaucracy and that Flynn wanted them out, along with a smaller staff overall.

So there’s a little of the backstory, just to show that Flynn was targeted for a long time before they finally got him. We all know the details of his phone calls with Ambassador Kislyak, the unmasking of his name and the illegal leaking to the media, as well as the “ambush” interview set up by Comey –- the one in which there was no evidence of deliberate deception. Yet lying to the FBI is what he was charged with and what he will presumably go to prison for. This is a miscarriage of justice.

To Chip: Saying that Flynn was “judged guilty as charged” is incorrect. He was pressured into pleading guilty by prosecutors who wanted to use him to help them fry bigger fish, and then that didn’t happen, so now prosecutors are making him pay.

To Robert: “Not being candid” with Trump and/or Pence might be a reason to lose one’s job (which Flynn did), but it’s not a reason to be wrongfully charged with a crime, financially ruined, and facing prison time. As for the claim that Flynn lied to them about his communications with Kislyak regarding sanctions, the story is much more complicated than that. If you really think Flynn was trying to mislead them, I urge you to read Chapter 10 of THE PLOT AGAINST THE PRESIDENT, particularly pages 142-147.

And to Ronald: The “fact” certainly does not remain that he lied, unless you have such a broad definition of “lying” that it includes statements that aren’t deliberately false. Again, neither Strzok nor Pienkta reported that they thought Flynn was being deceptive. And Flynn certainly knew better than to lie. “You know what I said,” he told them when they asked him about Kislyak, “because you guys were probably listening.”

And they were.

• Carl "T" Smith

01/12/2020 08:48 PM

I am NOT prone to conspiracy theories but I'm totally baffled by the supposed 10,000 lies Trump has told since his inauguration. Is the medias take about 'Lies" just an exaggeration or itself a Lie? What is the difference? A character assassination using either is still about as immoral as you can get. I get a lot of flak for blaming our current Political condition on academia for not only Embracing Socialism( pushed as Progressivism) but actively PUSHING it as the New American Ideal. In MY Opinion when you cease Teaching our History and the Founding Fathers back story ( Federalist Papers, etc.) and then by Fiat allowing Laws to be CREATED by the Courts and Agencies ( EPA etc.) Is in fact usurping Congress's Authority. Now consider the present Speaker of the House attempting to Tell the Senate how to Do what was her Job and being applauded by an Ignorant media is either Contempt of the Constitution or Academia's success in undermining Journalism ? OR BOTH? I could go on with many more examples but the Question is HOW do We the People regain OUR GIFT of a Constitution with an Ill Informed or Mis Informed voter base without resorting to the REASON the 2nd A. was so high on the list of RIGHTS written down to insure our Human Rights were never to be violated BY Government?

• Dawn Neuschwander

01/12/2020 04:31 PM

General Flynn should be found not guilty! Anyone who is a conservative in this country is and was an instant target by the liberals/communists in this country! When will Hillary & obama go to jail for lying about Bengahazi, selling 4,000 missles to ISIS, sending billions to build ISIS, making sure Christopher Stevens and everyone else at the Benghazi compound died so they couldn't attest to all these deals done by obama and Hillary?? What about Vince Foster's murder? There are so many more crimes to list. When will the real criminals in this country go to jail?? We real Americans(that pledge allegiance to our Constitution) are waiting for justice to be done!

• patricia a mcmahon

01/12/2020 02:17 PM

Can't believe I was so out of the "loop" on this reverse gender situation. Thought it had only
    been around a few years. When I thought about it, it has been a serious topic of conversation since the 80's or 90's. Your article really brought me up to date. What a darn shame. All those people in so much pain/confusion. I thought it would be 20 years before we'd have feed back. We Are In The Main Street of Feed Back. What a loss. If people keep doing this, I hope they get seriously trained people to make this choice. I don't feel it's my
    place to get involved in this personal question. It's way to serious.

However, for a child or teenager; the Liberals need to get the heck out of their heads and
    lives,

• Debby Hoyman

01/11/2020 05:23 PM

I just wonder why so much of the public opinion is against Flynn, I really don't understand it. He was extremely disliked by Obama, should not have misinformed VP Pence & was targeted by some in the FBI even before Trump became POTUS. Yet McCabe, Comey, Clapper & Brennan (& who knows who else) lied big time to Congress, etc. but none has had their lives destroyed like Flynn's. He's been a loyal patriot & served his country honorably. Why is that? I can only hope the actual liers get what's coming to them & Durham gets "the actual bad guys" in the swamp prosecuted.

• Vickie Fiorentino

01/11/2020 01:11 PM

Agree, Agree, Agree...the 3 need to look at the big picture

• Robin Rebhan

01/11/2020 11:26 AM

The whole affair was from the Democratic side a palimpsest of impenetrable jargon. Or as Winston Churchill put it " The truth is so valuable that it is surrounded by a bodyguard of lies". The KJV Bible says it much better " For we have made lies our refuge and under falsehood we have hid ourselves".
    And as I put it Flynn just plain got caught in the middle.

• Robert W Gauer

01/11/2020 03:48 AM

Hey Gov, thanks for your insights and info regarding Flynn's situation. I find myself agreeing with you after hearing all the reports of what and how it happened. Doesn't encourage much trust in our governmental agencies, sad to say, in a lot of the public opinion, including mine. I'm afraid that a lot of the swamp has yet to be drained and exposed, although I believe President Trump is certainly fulfilling his promise to do just that.

• Carol pickard

01/10/2020 09:13 PM

Well said Governor Huckabee. I personally don’t believe he should be charged. Sounds like he wanted changes that would better protect our country!

• Sheila Ward

01/10/2020 05:08 PM

Gen.Flynn is caught in the antiTrump movement.

• Marcia Beale

01/10/2020 05:04 PM

Excellent answers, Governor! To my mind, it is a rather complicated series of events that are part of the whole conspiracy to bring down Trump and anyone else who wants to "drain the swamp".

• Harold Levi

01/10/2020 05:03 PM

What we are missing is integrity. The Marxist-Democrats have no clue. Nor do the establishment Republicans (RINOs).

• Ron Martin

01/10/2020 04:16 PM

I really appreciate hearing the real truth. I have a question, do you think the democrats are stalling the impeachment papers so they can add additional dreamed up charges that were not voted on by Congress????

• Ellen Klapperich

01/10/2020 04:00 PM

Well said Governor, well said.

• Anita Ward

01/10/2020 03:07 PM

Thank you Governor Huckabee for your reply to the messages you received ref Gen Flynn. It grieves me that some fail to seek the truth about any media report before forming an opinion! If we do not seek the truth, we hear only the propaganda against our own country and our President that most news outlets spew and unfortunately will believe the blatant lies and misrepresentations.
    Thank you for publishing truth with references that back-up the truth!

• Robert Clegg

01/10/2020 02:48 PM

Flynn was known for being one of the very best As we know now , and he obviously knew then, the White House was full of treasonous members from the previous administration, Flynn knew the risk of speaking openly and honestly in their presence. It wasn't Pence he feared would hand classified information it was others. What he did was protect the national security of our nation while taking the risk he would lose his own freedom as punishment for not going along with a coup attempt. Is he the first to give all he had for the sake of our nation? Absolute not ! But his name will forever be remembered by patriots who fought before him, with him and after he was punished for being true to his oath of office. If we are so anxious to jail those who lied why is Comey and Clapper still not charged? What about Hillary and all those who lied and said Benghazi was caused by the internet movie? What about Obama who said if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor? And when will we prosecute those who ran Fast and Furious? Hypocrites!! The only solace we offer is Flynns name will never have to appear on a list with Comey or Clapper or Obama or Hillary or AOC or Iilhan Omar or Nancy Pelosi or Adam Schiff or Nadler..... the list for Patriots will forever be for patriots and Flynns great grandchildren will know the sacrifices it took for them to be as free as the generations before Flynns

• jack macdonald

01/10/2020 02:32 PM

I am becoming increasingly annoyed by the bunch of whiners someone elected to congress and I'm talking about both flavors. These people act like a bunch of children when they don't get what they want. In terms of the imminent threat briefing they would have only been satisfied if we told them that intel had the time of the threat to the minute or second of the event. Realistic expectations are not part of their realm. Trying to satisfy their unrealistic demands will never work. No matter what you share with them they will never be satisfied. They keep us chasing our tails and we go along with it every time. Slow learners. I would tell them to shut up and go suck their thumbs rather than continue to damage out country. ENOUCH IS ENOUGH!! JM

• Rick Reinhardt

01/10/2020 01:45 PM

I knew Flynn was the right man for the job... wish he could get it back! Poignant explanation of the facts; thanks Gov!

• Firewagon

01/10/2020 01:27 PM

Spot on Gov.! As with most 'commentary' on the net by so many 'deep thinkers,' these folk open their yaps before engaging their brains. You will likely not influence their thinking by providing actual 'facts' and will have, as they say, led the horse to water but failed to make him drink. It is to America's shame that a 'warrior' such as General Flynn has been defamed and vilified by an unsuccessful attempt, thank God, of a bloodless coup of an American president.

• Mark Mittelstaedt

01/10/2020 01:25 PM

Without having to read Smith's book - what was the actual..." lie " ? I notice Roger Stone being pilloried for saying he didn't ask the Wikileaks guy about dirt on Hildebeest's emails , when ... maybe he did - which, to my mind should get him about 10 hours of community service. It appears that our " intelligence " personnel don't have to adhere to the " ask a stupid question " dictum...

• Sharon Smith

01/10/2020 01:16 PM

As always, Sir, you are right on and to the point. Value your emails every day because I know it is always the truth. God bless you.

• Gregory Hawkes

01/10/2020 01:02 PM

What angers me is the liberal News showing the many pictures of Flag Burning!I love my County my Flag & my God not necessarily in that order and it hurts to see my Flag desecrated!

• Marc Eisenstein

01/10/2020 12:52 PM

Since we know that Trump could care less about what anyone (especially Dem's) say about him, it is time that he pardon Flynn. This man has had his entire life ruined. I hope the Barr justice department does the right thing and bring the other players to justice and let them suffer like Flynn has.

• John Rogers

01/10/2020 12:24 PM

Waiting to see Chips response, I would like to see what he comes up with. Seems to know a lot of what he talks about, but few of the facts. Getting Lee Smith's book today.

• Beverly Nolan

01/10/2020 12:13 PM

If Flynn goes to prison and Hillary doesn't, a lot of us will lose all confidence in whatever system of justice will remain in this Country that seems packed with self serving treasonous Politicians.

• Scott Strople

01/10/2020 12:08 PM

Flynn was railroaded by a group of criminal deep state actors. As for Chip, and Robert they clearly live in an alternate universe.