Evening Edition - October 13

October 13, 2020 |

HEARING HIGHLIGHT

I’ll have a full commentary tomorrow on the second day of Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation hearings, but just let the record show that she is incredibly calm in the face of some Norman Bates-level insanity hurled at her by the Democrats. It must be a skill learned from dealing with seven small children. And in a photo that will be one of the historic images of 2020, after giving one solid answer after another, even citing and quoting from legal cases, she was asked to hold up what she in front of her, and she held up a blank notepad. All the Senators questioning her had tons of notes, but she needed no notes to answer them all.

A reminder: she’s being called unqualified for her job by the same Party that wants us to elect a President who can’t even tell us what office he’s running for with a Teleprompter right in front of him.

PERSONAL NOTE FROM "HUCKABEE" WRITER PAT REEDER

While watching the ACB hearings, I’m getting sick of hearing about how affordable health care became under Obamacare. My wife Laura and I are independent contractors, which means we buy our own health insurance. At the time Obamacare passed, we were paying nearly $800 a month for high deductible catastrophic coverage. I thought that was outrageous until the “Affordable Care Act” (Guffaw!) came along.

I got a letter from our insurer saying that we couldn't keep our current policy (even if we liked it?), but we could replace it with a new one that was ACA-compliant. This had a couple of small drawbacks, like that it cost $1,340 a month, and our deductibles would go up by $1,000 a year, each. But on the plus side, it would cover stuff we’d never need in a bazillion years, like prenatal care and drug rehab.

We switched to Liberty Healthshare, a health cost-sharing ministry that didn’t have to be ACA-compliant, and have received much better, and more caring and personal, service ever since. So I guess you could say that, indirectly, the ACA did lead to us getting better, more affordable health care. But only because we were able to find a way to avoid it entirely.

GOOD NEWS ON THE VIRUS FRONT

A new Harvard study suggests that people who survive serious COVID-19 infections have long-lasting antibodies that prevent reinfection for up to four months.

Byron York noted that Twitter banned President Trump for spreading misinformation for saying what this study now confirms. SCIENCE!!

LISTEN TO JOE

He Knows What He’s Talking About: When asked in Cincinnati about a new Gallup poll showing that 56% of Americans think they’re better off today than four years ago so why should they vote for him, Joe Biden replied, “Well, if they think that, they probably shouldn’t.”

So Joe just told 56% of Americans that they shouldn’t vote for him. But he’s not worried; he’ll make up the gap with the mail-in vote.

INTENTIONAL COMEDY

Babylon Bee headline inspired by Joe Biden’s dodging of the “court packing” question: “Democrat Proposing To His Girlfriend Says He Won’t Reveal Position On Adultery Until After The Wedding.”

UNINTENTIONAL COMEDY

A group of protesters outside the Senate used coronavirus fears to blast the Amy Coney Barrett hearings, with one declaring, “They are endangering hundreds of lives by having this hearing right now.” There were in a group protest, and the speaker wasn’t wearing a mask.

A NEW REASON TO HATE NIKE

If you’re looking for a new reason to hate Nike, try this: the ultra-woke sporting apparel giant just severed relations with Frank’s Sports Shop, which has been in The Bronx since the big star of the Yankees was Babe Ruth. After five decades, Nike sent a terse email saying the venerable family-owned store “no longer aligns with our distribution policy…This notice reflects a definitive final decision by the company.”

Moe Stein, the 92-year-old owner of Frank’s, said, “This is plain chutzpah. Let me tell you about Nike. We knew them when they had nothing. How do you like that? They’re putting down the Bronx. The Bronx! It’s not an elite place to them.”

Well, certainly not as elite as Beijing, which seems to be the place Nike is most concerned with these days. But it’s pretty obvious that neither Nike nor the sports leagues they’re in partnership with care much about Americans and their opinions these days, and the feeling is increasingly mutual. Sunday, the Lakers won the Finals over the Miami Heat, and a record low 5.6 million people tuned in. Last year’s game six, between the Warriors and the Raptors, drew 18.34 million viewers.

Liberal outlets like Yahoo Sports are trying to blame many other factors besides all the racial and political messages for the ratings collapse, like the coronavirus forcing multiple sports into competition. For instance, Sunday’s NBA game was opposite an NFL game that drew over 11 million viewers. But by comparison, in 1998, 36.9 million Americans watched the Bulls-Jazz game six alone.

Dallas Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban also tried to deflect the claim that sports fans are sick of in-your-face racial grievance politics, disrespect to America and kowtowing to BLM and China. His view on China: they’re “a customer” and they’re “not the only country with human rights violations.” To his credit, I haven’t seen anyone in basketball spin anything that fast since the Harlem Globetrotters’ Curly Neal spun a basketball on his index finger.

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• liliana medhurst

10/20/2020 11:02 PM

I am trying to join Quake media so l can get your podcast what am l doing wrong ?

• Delbert/Pearl Tivis

10/15/2020 10:25 AM

Mike I do enjoy your comments and input, and explaining these govermnent goings-
    on that us simple people dont understand and helping us laugh at some.

• wanda

10/15/2020 07:01 AM

love your newsletter

• LeeMarZarr

10/14/2020 05:40 PM

What would be lower...taking all deaths from heart, cancer, diabetes diseases, motor cycle accident (FL), who supposedly tested positive for Covid as in "Covid related death," Totals... or all deaths from covid that people died from who did NOT have and chronic fatal disease(s) so we could"HONESTLY say covid related death. Which scenario would be the more realistic covid related death statistic total?

• Ted Elkins

10/14/2020 05:35 PM

The funny thing is in all the Democrats pontificating is futal. The Judiciary Committee and the Senate is under the control of the Republicans. Right or wrong, Judge Barrett will be confirmed ASAP. And the Democrats can cry all they want to. One thing that they're blaming her to do like overturn the AOC or Roe vs Wade. What the hell do you think the other 8 Justices will be doing while she does that

• Cherry Luitjens

10/14/2020 03:12 PM

Mike! I do enjoy your comments. Thank you for being such a great example for the rest of us to follow!

• David E. Laman

10/14/2020 02:25 PM

I can't understand why the Republican Party is letting the liberals run with the Obamacare questions? Granted, Obamacare is a mess and has cost many Americans a great deal of money and problems, but these slimy liberals are going to do everything they can to do away with the Electoral College and be able to control the elections with a few States that they pretty well control now. Not only will this give them control of the government, it will mean that there will only be a few States that will get help from the feds. This prospect should keep everyone in the mid-west up at night!

• Michael

10/14/2020 02:23 PM

First, Judge Amy Barrett is so more intelligent than any member of Congress who is questioning her, but especially the phony hateful agenda driven Democrats, that of course will vote no. This hearing has given Democrats the opportunity to do exactly what they wanted to do- bash Trump, support the failed Obama Care, etc. Some are campaigning. And any conservative Republican should not listen to the opinions of the lame stream liberal media!! I hope and pray Judge Barrett will be appointed to the Supreme Court and President Trump gets elected by a landslide in November!!

• PAUL920 SCHABER

10/14/2020 12:41 PM

After listening to Senator Dick Durbin talk this morning about this family in
    Illonois, his home state under the Affordable Health Care program his is trying to sell is for his support staff to go back to that person and ask her what her new NEW PREMIMUM RATES AND IF HER HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER HAS CALLED INTO THE OFFICE AND TOLD HER SHE WILL BE DROPPED SOON DUE HER SON 'S TREATMENT HAS MET THE POLICY LIMITATIONS OR IS NOW BEING ASSIGNED TO THE HIGH RISK POLICIES WITH PREMIMUMS THAT MEET OR EXCEED OR DOUBLE HER FAMILIES NORMAL MORTGAGE PAYMENT.

• Rita Garcia

10/14/2020 11:51 AM

We pray for Amy and her family to get through all this, we thank them for putting up with all the lies the dems are coming up with. We also pray for President Trump and all the Republicans! Stay close to Jesus!!

• Lisa Janik

10/14/2020 10:19 AM

My husband and I just received our official sample ballot from a voting district in a county and state we haven't lived in for almost 8 years! If I wasn't concerned about voter fraud before - I am now!!!!

• Darlene F. Donston

10/14/2020 10:15 AM

I really do believe that this Country is coming to an END if President Trump is not re-elected. We have some guy running for President that is an out right Criminal along with his Son and NOTHING is being done about it, plus he is Mentally Unfit! Then we have Killary and Obama with the Russia mess and NOTHING is being done about that either. We should have had all of these thing hammered out before the election. WHAT IS THE BIG PROBLEM???? Most of us have known all about this now for several years and I am sure they have had the evidence! Then we have such horrid people with so much hate that it is really hard to understand how they can live with themselves and now there is this Judge that seems to be to be so upstanding and so smart and yet the Idiots are squabbling over whether she is qualified! OMIGOSH! She has more brains than almost anyone in the Senate, that really goes for the Democrats especially! They and the Dem Congress are the WORST this Country has ever had! Anyone that worked with Scalia has my vote, hands down! All we can do is Hope and Pray that God hears all of us and President comes through and Judge Amy Barrett wins her seat on the Supreme Court! I for one, never thought that those 2 women that Obama appointed qualified and I sure do have my doubts about Roberts, too! Someone really should look into that Blackmail on Roberts!!!!

• Rick Wilkins

10/14/2020 10:04 AM

We both know the abundant lies of the Liberal left and how they hate anything conservative that might go against their agenda.

• Don Smith

10/14/2020 10:03 AM

The ACA is anything but that. When it was passed, my employer sponsored insurance coverage (had I kept the exact same coverage as before the ACA) would have cost me 325% more. I ended up opting for catastrophic coverage which still cost me 25% more than my original coverage had.
    Since then, I have paid high out of pocket costs and basically get very little for my coverage. The only upside is that if I have a serious health issue, I will have some coverage.

• Benjamin James Anderson

10/14/2020 06:04 AM

Mike Huckabee my name is Benjamin James Anderson I am person who has Williams Syndrome I have Learning Disorder I am 30 years old I live in Berwick East Sussex England I was Born in Eastbourne England I like to ask do you think Joe Biden can lose the polls What does President Donald Trump need to win second Term thank you from Benjamin James Anderson

• William Fuhrer

10/14/2020 06:03 AM

Judge Amy Coney Barrett Should have her own visual aid the HIPPOCRATIC OATH

• Douglas Noel

10/14/2020 04:52 AM

I was asked by a publisher, as an award winning poet, to submit a poem written during and reflection life during COVID-19. This is not the one I sent them, but it is sports pertinent:
    The NBA sounds so political,
    Their millionaires aren't analytical.
    They squawk very loud,
    While losing their crowd
    Exempting themselves from rhetorical.

• carol denardo

10/14/2020 01:33 AM

I simply cannot comprehend the nerve of the senator from Hawaii who asked Mrs. Barrett if she ever sexually assaulted anyone. How about posing the same question to the perverted, demented democrat running for president!?

• Lenora Tobeck

10/14/2020 12:46 AM

I think that Jill Biden and the rest of the dummycrats should be charged with elder abuse. I took care of my mama with dementia and my daddy. I also worked in a nursing home. THE man is being used and would you want his finger on the red button? Its really sad how low the liberals will sink.

• Jerry Korba

10/14/2020 12:18 AM

The Left has been practicing to be the CCP West version of a political party for a few years the behavior is propaganda in its nature the policies are to remain unknown until they confiscate the election. I am not sure if the Republican party cares to much it would lose more of the DC money train if Trump would win again as the corruption is being exposed so will the Republican Reps and Senators so they remain quiet. They want this Russian Collusion and spy case to go away and get back to business as usual the DC way corruption. You can tell look at the the District's mayor Look at the DOJ FBI CIA it is what they say it is The Heads of the Swamp is full of scumbags. Like our air and water Trump wants the pollution cleaned up and the resistance is real. That is why I am fearful the CCP West by any means will survive. And if that should be the case BYE BYE AMERICA>YOU had a good run. This is a horrible thought however it could happen. NOV 4 Trump wins by a landslide get out and vote MAGA!!!

• Shirley Shaw

10/13/2020 11:49 PM

I'm continually praying for Amy Barrett this week that God will surround her with His Spirit and deflect the fiery darts Satan throws at her. And for President Trump too!

• Jeff Bishop

10/13/2020 11:18 PM

I Can only thank God for the creation of Amy. She has so much knowledge, wisdom, tact and physical stamina. I’m in awe of the awesome person she is.
    Bravo ???? Amy

• William Fuhrer

10/13/2020 11:11 PM

Laura Ingraham aired CNN Wolf Blitzer in an interview asked just the right questions to Nancy Pelosi as to why N ancy is holding up COVID RELIEF FUNDS ...EXCELLENT INTERVIEW

• David Nielsen

10/13/2020 11:01 PM

Please pray without ceasing for President Trump, Vice President Pence, their families, and Amy Barrett and her family. Pray for our Country.
    Pray for the LORD to intervene in this election..

• Dusty

10/13/2020 10:45 PM

Super this Judge and what she had to endure per the idiot Demos and their questioning any way they thought they could trick her up? She was right there calm and super sharp. I was amazed as a woman , RN on what she was able to do per the attacks they tried the Demos and Harris what was all that for her a speech. Abortion how about coming out and teaching women how not to get pregnant to have to ever get an abortion ? WHY? To ask her this question on the law protects abortion know she is Catholic and what is she to say. She has 7 God Bless. Young and being this type family woman wonderful on what she may decide on many cases?
    ACA for Obamacare and what this family had to keep paying on the plan. Same my son was out of work lost his job needed health care went on this and unemployed no income was $575 a mo high deductible also. He had to keep health care go into his 401 ? Many can get medicare per the cases many of the Demos had to put out on TV for the campaign no doubt. I wish Pres had come up with this AFFORDABLE he said when running and later. I am disappointed WHY he did not do this? WHY Mr President. My grand daughter to the ENT specialist for her baby had ear tubes 30 min ck up got the bill other day $300 she has to pay per a high deductible . Had a husband out of work so not much money ? What are the average people to do Mr President if you listening to the big medical companies they are not telling the truth? You would have had a land slide if you had come up with a one pay system. It can be done and should be so many per this virus loss of jobs cannot afford any health care? WHY SIR? Where is the plan you had to get great care per your recent Covid many cannot? I am backing you but feel you let us down WHY?