Evening Edition - May 20

May 20, 2020 |

PLOT TWIST

In the latest twist in the case of Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, his attorney Sydney Powell has filed an emergency writ of mandamus to the DC Court of Appeals to remove Judge Emmet Sullivan from the case.

The writ argues that it is “clear and indisputable” that Sullivan has overstepped his powers in refusing to accept the DOJ’s withdrawal of charges against Flynn, and with his bringing in an openly partisan second judge to try to drag out the trial and make a case against Flynn that the prosecution has already dropped.

Sullivan’s defenders claim it’s not unusual for judges to seek amicus briefs to inform their legal analysis. But Powell argues that it is unprecedented for a judge, who is supposed to perform a magisterial role only, to condemn the defendant in court as Sullivan has, refuse to accept that the charges have been dropped due to prosecutorial misconduct, and attempt to keep the prosecution alive himself.

There are more details at the link. You might have to be a lawyer to understand some of it, but if you have even a rudimentary understanding of justice, then I guarantee you won’t understand it.

"NEVER LET A GOOD CRISIS GO TO WASTE" NEWS

President Trump is threatening to withhold funding from Michigan, which has morphed from a state into a dictatorship ruled with an iron hand and no logic by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, over what he calls an illegal decision to send absentee mail-in ballots to all 7.7 million voters, so they don’t risk exposure to the coronavirus next November. Trump says it was approved by a rogue Secretary of State.

Democrats, naturally, deny that vote fraud exists, but Republicans say mail-in voting is a recipe for widespread voter fraud and a permanent Democratic majority. For instance, Republicans blame ballot-harvesting for flipping several GOP Congressional seats in California. They say that when everyone gets a ballot in the mail, and nobody has to vote in person and show an ID, it’s easy to gather up unclaimed ballots or send operatives into nursing homes and other facilities to fill out ballots for people who otherwise wouldn’t vote and don’t know the candidates or issues.

There’s also the problem of trusting the Post Office with something as important as elections, as Wisconsin discovered last month

…And a study by the federal Election Assistance Commission found that between 2012 and 2018, 28 million mail-in ballots simply went missing. The number is likely higher because some areas, like Chicago, didn’t even respond to the survey. But then, what are the odds of any Democratic voter fraud in Chicago? I’m sure that there, all voters, dead or alive, mailed in their ballots on time.

WHY JUDGES MATTER

Any Americans who have yet to figure out the importance of keeping liberal activists off of court benches are getting a harsh lesson thanks to the never-ending coronavirus lockdowns. Around the nation, citizen groups and business owners have been scoring court victories against unfair and unconstitutional executive orders that violate individual rights and are enforced like laws without the benefit of input from the people’s elected lawmaking representatives.

This happened in Oregon, where a judge declared Gov. Kate Brown’s draconian executive orders, particularly against churches, “null and void.” But then, the state Supreme Court stepped in and put a hold on that ruling. And while the people continue to suffer under her rules, the Court seems to be in no hurry to settle the issue. In Oregon, both the Governor and the Supreme Court Justices are elected. I am skeptical that they will be reelected.

And in Illinois, Democrat Gov. J.B. Pritzker is trying to claim emergency powers as an end-run around the US and state Constitutions, to continue his stay-at-home order for a staggering 150 days.

This comes after a recently-unearthed state Supreme Court precedent showed that he can’t continue emergency powers beyond 30 days without the approval of the legislature. Also, he can’t regulate the behavior of private citizens, only state employees he oversees.

Pritzker’s moves will undoubtedly be met with a barrage of legal challenges. I wish them good luck and Godspeed. Again, it’s a very important reminder to think very hard before you vote for a judge, or for a Governor, or for any executive who might be appointing judges.

PROOF THE DEMOCRATS WERE FIDDLING WHILE THE WORLD BURNED

A large part of what my staffers and I do with this newsletter is just the most basic job of journalism, but one which many media outlets and prominent political figures no longer bother with: research.

For instance, instead of writing about what someone says that someone said, we look up what the person actually said, in full, in the original context. That’s so simple, but you’d be amazed how few people do it. Even Joe Biden, a presumptive major party Presidential nominee, is among the countless Democrats who claim President Trump called the coronavirus a “hoax,” when he actually said the media narrative that he wasn’t taking it seriously was a hoax. To its credit, even the Washington Post debunked that bit of hooey, but it's still repeated to this day.

In fact, in the social media age, once a false political hit is in the media bloodstream, it’s like herpes: it may go dormant for a while, but it never goes away completely, and it always keeps coming back. It can be thoroughly debunked and disappear from mainstream outlets, but within a month or so, it’s already getting resurrected on Facebook and Twitter.

That brings me to this terrific piece by Matt Margolis at PJMedia.com.

One of the most persistent and pernicious fake narratives, as noted above, is the lie that Trump didn’t take the COVID-19 (Chinese) coronavirus seriously, that, as Nancy Pelosi put it, he fiddled while people were dying. If only the brilliant, compassionate, science-embracing Democrats had been in charge, everything would have been different (I believe it would have, but that certainly doesn’t mean it would’ve been better; quite the opposite.) The media love to repeat this canard, because, again as noted above, they have not only become allergic to research, they seem to have the longterm memory of a fruit fly.

Margolis goes all the way back to December 31, 2019, and the very first public notice of a new virus arising (in CHINA.) He then moves forward, day-by-day, giving us a timeline of what the Trump Administration was doing on each day (the CDC began taking action the very next day), and what Trump’s critics were doing over the next few months, up through March 13.

You might be stunned to learn how much was going on behind the scenes because it was barely reported at the time. The media were too busy obsessing over what the Democrats were doing, which was mostly trying to impeach Trump and celebrating impeachment by handing out commemorative pens. Margolis leaves out their other famous actions, such as accusing Trump of racism for banning travel from China and urging people to ignore the warnings and go out to public events in San Francisco (Pelosi) and New York City (Bill DeBlasio), etc.

This article proves that while Trump’s critics (who want you to replace him with them) really were fiddling while the virus burned around the world, his Administration was taking serious actions every day from the very beginning, sometimes multiple actions in a single day. This is a genuinely well-researched piece that you will want to bookmark, share and refer back to often. It’s also the perfect remedy to post wherever you see an outbreak of the “Trump did nothing about the coronavirus!” herpes.

WE CAN GET BACK TO WORK AND ALSO BE SAFE

While it’s important that Americans get back to work, it’s also vital that we do everything we can to avoid getting the coronavirus. It’s not just a slightly worse version of the flu. It not only can be lethal to those in high risk groups, but even for some healthy people, it can be devastating. Check out this report from a male nurse who contracted it. During a six-week hospital stay, he went from being an incredibly healthy, 190-pound bodybuilder to 140 pounds and so weak, he could barely lift his cellphone.

If you’re getting lax on following the guidelines for avoiding contracting it, the before-and-after photos alone may scare you back into compliance.

FROM THE "PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN'T FIRE OFF SHOTGUNS" DESK

From the “People in Glass Houses Shouldn’t Fire Off Shotguns” desk: A Joe Biden aide questioned whether President Trump is “playing with a full deck” after he fumbled TulsI Gabbard’s first name. I probably wouldn’t consider that argument to be my ace in the hole, if I were him.

"I'M NOT A JOURNALIST, BUT I PLAY ONE ON TV

“I’m Not a Journalist, But I Play One On TV”: Watch video of a CNN reporter scolding President Trump for not wearing a facemask at a White House press conference, then taking hers off as soon as she thinks the cameras are off. Why, it’s as if it’s all just “Outrage Theater.”

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Bob Downum

05/21/2020 03:39 PM

With only 6 months remaining in President Trumps first term, I’d think Mr Barr would be working a little faster to get charges filed. After all, it’s not set in stone that President Trump will be re-elected. From my viewpoint, it seems no charges against these crooks will be filed at all. Meanwhile, the Libs have impeached Trump while we do nothing. Pretty upsetting

• Floyd A Unger

05/21/2020 02:03 PM

• M C Lyon

05/21/2020 12:43 PM

My brother (a big fan) sent me some previous messages from you. This was my first, on my own, and I continue to be impressed with your comments, backed w/facts. Keep up the good work, I look forward to tomorrow's edition.

• James Edward Bagby

05/21/2020 11:08 AM

Gov. Huck; The democrats keep blaming Trump for anything and everything that goes against their agenda . They have the nerve to even state that if they were in charge they would have handled the covid-19 virus better. If the democrats cared anything at all for our citizens and especially their own parties voters they would have been first in line to offer their support and advice towards solving the pandemic. They absolutely offered "NO" help, only criticism. Any reasonably intelligent individual that is neither dead, brain dead, or brain washed should agree to this.

• jack macdonald

05/21/2020 10:55 AM

May or may not relate to topics in this newsletter, but I have to make an observation about our dependence on China for many of life's necessities, such as, food and medicine. Our large Pharmaceutical companies outsourced to China for cheap labor. How is it then that the price of drugs is out of this world expensive? Does Canada get their drugs at a lower price from China or are they just satisfied with a reasonable profit? U.S. Pharma companies pull this scam off by lobbying our congressional prostitutes whose votes are swayed by payoffs and bribery. They write the legislation that these prostitutes put forth and citizens suffer. Do we think that they will return the manufacture of drugs back to this country and provide these jobs to Americans vs. our Chinese sworn enemies who are working on our downfall? Just asking. jm

• Jon McAvoy

05/21/2020 09:53 AM

The Michigan SOS did not send out absentee ballots. They sent out absentee ballot REQUESTS. That's exactly the same thing our SOS here in Iowa (a good Republican) did this year. I personally appreciated that effort as my wife and I could mail the absentee ballot request to our County Auditor. We received the actually ballots a couple of days later and voted by mail the day after that. Those will be verified by the County Auditor before being opened and counted. The system works.

• Kay DeWitt

05/21/2020 09:45 AM

I give a rousing AMEN to the truth of what you state in this paragraph: "A large part of what my staffers and I do with this newsletter is just the most basic job of journalism, but one which many media outlets and prominent political figures no longer bother with: research"....and I say this rousing AMEN to what you state here because your newsletters bear UNDENIABLE witness TO the research that HAD to BE what made it possible for your newsletters to write about FACTS that could have been learned only BY research.........AND.......

It is the fact OF this research that HAD to cost you, and your staff, hours of your time that I marvel at....that is, along with the GENIUS investigations that authored the nature OF the research that unearthed the facts.

• Susan Ashcraft

05/21/2020 09:38 AM

Just to be entirely truthful, Michigan's SOS did not mail out ballots for the election, she mailed out applications. But … that is only one step away from voter fraud. The entire Detroit area has been told to clean up its registration files, but from the last I heard, this had not been done (big surprise!).
    I texted her this morning that we are all big people and if we want a ballot, we can call in and get one. We don't need help with that!
    And just for a little levity this morning. There's a new poll out in Michigan that says that a majority of Michigan voters approve of the job that our dictator is doing. What they don't tell you up front is that only 600 were polled - hardly a fair and honest assessment of the 10 million who live in the state (even if half are children, that's still less than 1 percent!!).
    Kind of reminds you of all of the polls that insisted Hillary was going to win!
    Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

• Sheldon Larsen

05/21/2020 09:08 AM

Our Governor in CT seem to be getting more and more confident in himself every day because of his daily briefings broadcasts. With his group of select experts he's attempting to adjust the milestones, even as they're reached, for reopening for select groups. He recently backtracked on the opening or hair salons and barbers because of a smaller protest by some of them against reopening, shouldn't that be a choice? Yesterday he decided to use the states helpline, 211, to report those "not in compliance" which seem to be of great concern to the local media. If we can ever get out of this I don't understand how people can forget.
    Thank you for all you do and listening to us who think we've been forgotten.

• Robin H Lightner

05/21/2020 09:07 AM

One year ago this month I buried my husband as he died of dementia. He had it for over 10 years. I know the signs very well and can tell you Joe Biden definitely has dementia. Not only do they stumble on words and loose their train of thought they have a look in their eyes of confusion and fear . They know something is happening but not how to handle it. And they periodically will get information totally turned around even accusing people of terrible deeds. I have to say my opinion of Jill Biden has gone to zero as she should care enough to not let her husband seem like a fool in public BUT maybe being First Lady is more important to her. I feel sorry for Joe but he should not be considered for President of the United States. Robin

• Jamie van

05/21/2020 08:11 AM

Governor, I love your newsletters. Every time I read one I become more fully informed. I really appreciate the link to the Matt M. Timeline of Trumps response to the Coronavirus. I only wish he had included the Dems vacation & ice cream socials in it. Keep on researching & publishing, you & your staff are doing a great job!

• Linda. Baese

05/21/2020 06:13 AM

This is beyond outrageous. I firmly believe that these people should be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law!

• William Anthony

05/20/2020 11:42 PM

Some Navel oranges come from navel orange farms in California. Some mandarin oranges come from places where the farmers write the price in Mandarin Chinese. Some oranges come from Florida. Some oranges come from Mexico. Some oranges come from Brazil. There are several key nutrients for mammals. Oranges, grapefruits and limes are part of some peoples' routine. What was the type of tree that Zaccheus climbed into? I read an English text that claimed the tree was a sycamore tree. This is an attempt at an end of comment.

• Jerry korba

05/20/2020 11:34 PM

No question about the indignant character of the Obama crime family the collection of the most low life thugs assembled by an administration corruption at all levels of our most powerful agencies. Obama took what decency was in these agencies and turned them into a low life I mean without dignity atrocities that damaged everything it did it touched for what Obama did while in office was applauded by all the evil empires and even the fake friend’s danced quietly when john Kerry invites you to Iran you will get good service just like Kerry so live it up in Iran have lunch with a general planning an attack on the us don’t forget to invite Kerry

• Joan Jacobson

05/20/2020 11:17 PM

Sorry, don't believe nurse from San Fran. a healthy dude. HIV anyone.

• Bill Greenwell

05/20/2020 10:58 PM

Are Chris Hahn and Richard Goodstein identical twins? I'm sure they are identical idiots!

• Alan Conner

05/20/2020 10:51 PM

Dear Governor,

Always enjoy reading your articles and have seen you in person at our Oregon Freedom rally. Wanted to give you update about Oregon. About 1,500 of just us average Christian church goer's showed up at Salem Capital steps and sang and prayed. Shook hands with several there and hugged others and thanked them for showing up.
    Was a good gathering and we were pleased to hear lower court Null and Void order against Kate Brown and expected Oregon Supreme Court to put a temporary hold on order.
    But no matter what happens there, many of us are still going places and mostly ignoring all the hype now about this Virus. Most of folks I am around have not found need to wear mask yet and I have been told by many that they have gone into Costco and refused to wear mask there. Then they told me that as they walk around Costco they see many not wearing mask. At least the grown up common sense folks who are well are making their own decisions about wearing mask.

Also wanted to let you know we had about 7,000 in attendance our Oregon State Capital in Salem on May 2nd 2020 officially to rally in support of Opening Oregon again for business.
    I shot video of it and have posted on YouTube titled "Open Oregon Rally 5.2.20 when you get opportunity please take a look.
    After the media said there were only about 1,200 or so for this rally, we actually proved them wrong...….Also the autos honking and driving around the capital continued for about 2 hours steady.

With each effort more ground is gained in returning parts of Oregon and maybe eventually ALL Oregon back to we the people.

Again, thanks for all you do and we are praying for you and our Federal and State leaders.

Blessings,
    Alan and Lisa Conner
    PCPs HD 50
    1st Alt Delegate Republicans from Multnomah County.

• Mary Robinson

05/20/2020 10:40 PM

Excellent! As usual. Thank you so much for reporting the news and giving us a credible source of information.

• Marilyn Kirkwold

05/20/2020 10:31 PM

Love your news letters. I know you are trustworthy. I am upset with this talk of a vaccination for this virus. As of a couple weeks ago it had mutated 14 times, and they said it seems to mutate every 14 days. A vaccine can't work for something like that. I'm 80 years old and have never had the seasonal flu nor have I ever had a vaccination. I do not want one, but I hear I will be forced to take one or be unable to fly, participate in group settings etc. Mike,d I use alternative medicine--natural stuff. I've never found a virus or bacteria that colloilal silver doesn't kill in short order. I also use essential oils that also do that. At the first sign of illness I start one of those things and I haven't been ill for years. It's unfortunate that we've allowed drug companies to take over too much of our health care, and since they can't patent natural things, most people never hear about how they can get and stay well w/o drugs. Maybe you can atalk to President Trump about this. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• judith jakub

05/20/2020 10:31 PM

Someone posted on Facebook, this afternoon that cuomo (NY) and murphy (NJ) are being considered to replace biden on the demon RAT ticket. Rumor or not, or just a "plant" for what reason, is beyond me, these 2 fascist hitlers are so anti-America and ALL Americans, could be the final nail in the demon RAT coffin, I hope; and will assure OUR POTUS'S victory. What I do not, to this day, understand what has happened to the DNC who represented the "little man's welfare" WITH WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, a pat on the back and a few bucks in their pocket, for their vote? Has soros bought them ALL?????

• Henry Zwick

05/20/2020 10:29 PM

Ravi Zacharis died Tuesday.

• Bonnie R. Parvino

05/20/2020 09:48 PM

MIKE----There is an article below about Jackie Kennedy. I was young then and never old enough to vote for her husband.>>>> But, today one of my arms is an inch longer than the other arm. We all have disabilities it seems. >>> She was a lovely lady in my book and I was proud to have him as President. He was a disabled veteran and he stood for the other veterans as best he could. >>>> Just use the sacrifice of Praise. BONNIE PARVINO

• Dennis J Sullivan

05/20/2020 09:30 PM

For those of you old enough to remember: Remember the golden era of rock and roll when DJs were bribed to play certain records ? Remember the truly terrible records that would be played ad nauseum until they would begin to sound good ? THAT IS THE JOURNALISM SCHOOL THE MSM IMITATES TODAY.
    TELL A LIE. REPEAT IT VERBATIM AS TO THE 4AM SCRIPT THAT IS AGREED UPON.
    THIS IS NOT NEWS. THIS IS PROPAGANDA. NOW THE FINAL BASTION OF HONEST JOURNALISM IS INFECTED: THE INTERNET. DEVIATE FROM THE 4AM NARRATIVE AND YOU WILL BE SILENCED.
    RISE UP AMERICA. BOYCOTT CENSORSHIP. YOU WILL BE NEXT.

• THOMAS WENNDT

05/20/2020 08:50 PM

As an employer, I am prepared for every manner of personality out there. But regardless of those traits, one thing I cannot tolerate is sheer laziness. And more than anything else, the MSM, as much as they are uber-liberal and ultra-biased, have just become downright lazy (as you point out).

So I will ask - again, again, again - why do ANY of them still have jobs? There is no place in the work force for abject laziness. These people are the ultimate non-essential workers.

• Shirley Ann Martin

05/20/2020 08:21 PM

I live in Henderson, NV. Last week NBC local rain a story on the evening news that hundreds of deceased/moved out-of-state residents had their voting documents piled up at apartment complexes. They even mentioned there was a chance of voter fraud with this mess. This evening, same time, same channel was airing the governor's "outrage" that President Trump might withhold Nevada's funding because of forcing us to do ONLY mail-in voting. What's really sad, I went to Trader Joe's this morning and stood outside in the sunshine for 10 minutes before I was able to gain entrance to the store. I would be willing to do that to have my vote counted LEGALLY.