Thanks so much for all the great responses to “Trump’s Wall:  So don’t call it Trump’s, and don’t call it a wall.”  My readers are obviously just as sick as I am of the semantic games being played by our duplicitous political class.  (And, yes, to answer one letter writer, I was very much aware of the alternate meaning of the bureaucratic doublespeak term “impenetrable fabrication”; we hear those every day in DC and will continue to hear many more, especially during the next couple of years.)

Many of you had recommendations for Trump, some of which he has tried, with certain mid-level courts stopping him by repeatedly overstepping their bounds and keeping his constitutional powers in highly unconstitutional check.  (It’s amazing how Trump’s opponents manage to find new and creative ways to keep him from simply doing his job as President.)  Coming as our President did from a background in real estate and construction, he likely never dreamed it would be so hard to construct a doggone wall.  You have a problem, you need a wall, you build it, right?  You get it designed, you get the money (a pittance when compared with the staggering federal budget), and you just build it.

RELATED READING"Trump's Wall": So don't call it Trump's, and don't call it a wall

The suggestion that Trump make an Oval Office address explaining exactly what is going on politically with the “wall” issue and making the case –- including the fiscal argument –- for real border security is a good one.  It’s such a strong case, too, just waiting to be made in one fantastic speech!  I would think that at this point he might have had enough of Schumer, Pelosi and the rest of those who have formed their own version of a “wall” (against him) and that he’d be putting his address together right now.

But one reader’s letter in particular caught my interest, coming as it does from someone who has “been there” and knows the issue of border security from his days at the line between North and South Vietnam.  No, we’re not at war, and we wouldn’t be dropping bombs or using other violent military means to stop it, but at the same time this is an invasion of sorts, having escalated into “caravans” of (mostly) brash young men, including criminals, trying to cross into our country with impunity.  And the situation is likely to worsen.  So it’s valuable to hear from a firsthand observer about how to stop the influx.

Bill says that even with high-level technology –- including today’s, which, of course, is much more advanced than it was in Vietnam days –- a wall is necessary.  Without that essential physical barrier and important changes in policy, the only thing that will be “captured” is the digital image of them as they cross the border and disappear into the terrain.

What I like about this letter is that it reflects a no-nonsense look at the problem we face.  There’s not any politics here, just a calm, reasoned assessment, an honest opinion about what it’s going to take to SOLVE THE PROBLEM.  That foundation in reality is so missing in Washington DC.  If only there were a way to send Bill there as a top adviser.  Thanks again, Bill!

Here’s his letter, with very slight editing just for clarification...

From William R:

During the Vietnam War, our esteemed leaders decided to install an electronic fence around the North Vietnam border to stop the to stop the flow of military supplies and troops from coming down the Ho Chi Minh Trail into South Vietnam.  Yes, technology will stop them, [our leaders said], just like the Democrats are trying to convince us that drones, cameras and sensors will stop the people from crossing our southern border.

[But] As a Forward Air Controller during this period, I watched hundreds of trucks passing through this electronic fence and directed hundreds of air strikes on these trucks.  We did our best to stop them with air power and destroyed many of them, but, sadly many still got through as our leaders did not commit adequate resources to do the job.  Yes, we can install all kinds of technology on our border, but without adequate walls, it will require deploying thousands of troops or thousands more border control agents or all this technology will accomplish is to allow us to watch thousands of people cross over into our country.

I believe that a wall or adequate fencing with monitoring cameras, sensing equipment and a rapid response force can secure our border.  Then we need to fix our laws, stop employers from hiring undocumented laborers and, rather than providing welfare, we provide deportation.  Plus, I'm not holding my breath to see any of this happen until the lazy unconcerned majority of registered voters decide to get involved and get to the polls on election day.  Sincerely, Major Bill

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKEA response to a reader comment on "Trump's Wall"

"Lawfare" Suits

The Jussie Smollett Hoax

I am not tired of winning yet

Mueller Investigation Update

• Donald Clotfelter

01/06/2019 07:47 PM

Is it possible for President to propose a "Go fund me" for the American People to take it upon ourselves to fund the wall, or whatever President Trump wants to call. I don't know if that is legal or not, but if it is, I believe WE THE PEOPLE would help him get it done!

• Carl Serkland

01/06/2019 07:03 PM

Obviously, the D's can't support anything with Trump's name attached to it. I suggest calling it "Pelosi's Palisade" or "Schumer's Stockade", or "Reid's Ramparts". Maybe then they cold get behind it instead of staying in their gated, guarded communities.

• Tim

01/06/2019 06:56 PM

How is that the very people that oppose a border wall, and also say that walls don't work, are also the very same people that have walls up around their houses or properties to keep out intruders? So, let's stop calling the people crossing our border illegal aliens, lets call them intruders, because that is exactly what they are. And how is it that Senator Schumer supported border security in 2009 but now has flip-flopped on the issue? He has proposed drones instead of a wall, does this mean he is for the drones being used as weapons? Perhaps President Trump should start putting words in Senator Schumer's mouth by saying that Schumer supports weaponizing these drones and using them to stop the intruders because if they aren't used as weapons, how else would they be used? They can't pick the intruders up and then drop them back into Mexico. I have never seen so many anti-America politicians in my life. They need to be removed from office because they lied when taking the oath, and what is that oath? “I, (the person states their name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”
    I believe we have a Congress full of LIARS!

• Robert Paul Johnson

01/06/2019 06:46 PM

As I commented before on regards to installing land and water mines with warning signs instead of the wall . I know this is rather hash but you have to show them we mean what we say and we are going to stop them.from coming in that way. What would happen if a million of migrants got together and storm the border all at once. Would they continue to come with a wall sure they would but not if we had mines installed. They are going to dig under the wall or climb over the wall this would not happen with mines. Major Bill commented about an electric fence that wouldn't do it either. As far as I am concern this is war or act of war sooner or later it come down to this we have to stop them now and not put if off later later.

• Judy Jordan

01/06/2019 06:35 PM

Thank you for this article, Mr.Huckabee. It is a breath of fresh air. I appreciated the comments I read also., particularly the view of a rancher upon no fences. I board my horse with a guy who is an avid fan of The View. The next time he tells me that drones and patrols will work better than a wall, I’ll ask him how busy would he be if his fences were gone. I also liked the comment on boundaries. People who don’t observe them only mean trouble.

• Dorothy Addington

01/06/2019 06:34 PM

I liked Bill's comments - I think that there are probably lots of common sense people out here in "flyover country" who have similar ideas - and I like President Trump's tweeting, but having weekly or monthly info spots, ten minutes or so, to let the rest of Americans see and understand the problem as he does.

• Marilyn Stranberg

01/06/2019 06:27 PM

Remember the triplegic man who was able to raise $9 billion dollars to build the wall on southern border?
    Why not take that and build as much as possible? That would take the debate out of congress and send a message.

• Joseph

01/06/2019 06:01 PM

This is a great straight forward article and there have been many like this. Not one has done any good as long as Democrats think more about increasing their voter base to gain their control over America's population. Trump needs to stand up to these anti-American liberals and just use the Military to build the wall or fence or what ever. If he has the Constitution on his side then he needs to enforce his rights as President and tell the left to Shut up and sit down.

• Andrew Humes

01/06/2019 05:46 PM

Great post, Governor. A lot of this is nothing more than theatre. Our President is highlighting the outrageous obstruction which, the obstructionists think, harms Trump, even as it puts the populace at risk. Yes, the populace is at risk, but they are not harming The President. He is using the Dem's intransigence to magnify their lack of concern,( contempt, really), for We, the people. This is very important. The devoted and deranged Trump haters will not change, but the more sane centrists are becoming excruciatingly aware of the blind hatred which has not place in government. Trump knows exactly what he is doing. God bless our Fearless Leader, and God bless US.

• Nancy L Abee

01/06/2019 05:43 PM

Please show diagrams of walls around Democrat houses and show what hypocrites they are. Are their walls immoral?

• Giovanni Catanese

01/06/2019 05:38 PM

Major Bill is completely correct. As I veteran myself, I've seen walls used as border security in many countries, especially "Third World" ones. And some countries even have minefields (seen at the DMZ in Korea) as a deterrent. And this is the main point: as long as there is no effective deterrence to illegal immigration along with the rhetoric of the Left which claims a "wall" is immoral and the bleeding hearts of this country care more the plight of other than their own people nothing will change; on the contrary, more will come. This is a planned de facto forced change of demographics in the USA. Especially by pushing diversity instead of assimilation these Left extremists are trying to change the country into the countries these "poor people" are fleeing from, in spite of countless $billions in aid provided to those countries. The real intent is Socialism and destruction of the Founders' values that made this country great.

• rodney Burke

01/06/2019 05:31 PM

common sense should dictate the wall. america's wall! We own it and we'll have to do a end around run against the halfwit/communists to get it done. I sure hope there are a bunch of indictments for the house. Time to take out the trash and get america back on track.

• Elizabeth N. Mayer

01/06/2019 05:29 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee,
    You have a gift for seeing right to the heart and truth of the matter, and expressing it so well. I admire you so much, and thank you for your tireless efforts to save our Republic. Also, please tell your daughter, Sarah, that she is doing an outstanding job as Press Secretary. And I am not alone in my admiration of her. Please, both of you, continue the good fight!! You speak for us.
    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth N. Mayer

• Virginia Brown

01/06/2019 05:05 PM

Re no-nonsense approach to border security. Thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for posting this fan’s comments. I am 74 year old grandmother of 7 and sister to a surviving Vietnam Marine veteran who was mortally wounded but saved many of his comrades before catching the last copter out - while under heavy fire. Bill speaks the simple truth. But as you & I know, sadly the Dems view this as Trump’s wall and I doubt will never agree. I’m scared, Mr. Huckabee - for my two youngest grandchildren and for my country. While I’m not crazy about our President’s language sometimes we needed a fighter in Washington and thank God, we elected one. What good did it do our country for the likes of Romney, both Bushes, and other “presidential” type men voted in to office. My sister & brother-in-law installed night cameras to view the number of deer crossing their acreage near ther Texas/Mexico border farm. Imagine their shock each morning as they watch illegal Mexican “mules” with back packs carrying illegal drugs run across their land into America. This sends me cold chills and yet the Dems say drones are better than walls proposed by our President!! May God help America.

• Walter Crews

01/06/2019 04:59 PM

I remember hearing on TV and hearing on radio about a Disabled Veteran collecting money to build a " wall or fence" across our border with Mexico. As was told he had collected a substantial amount of money for the project. If this is true I would like it followed up on and reported. I, as a Korean War Veteran, would be willing to make a donation to get our borders secured. It could be make a deductible donation or not... Just build the wall!

• Carrie Parks

01/06/2019 04:58 PM

Why doesn't President Trump stop all the free programs and assistance illegals get when they break our laws entering our country. Can he not do that by executive order? I am tired of the hard earned tax dollars the government takes from all United States Citizens to give to illegal aliens for housing, food, phones, healthcare and college tuition. As a sole proprietor of a small construction company I can't even afford healthcare or send my kids to college as I watch these illegal lawbreakers and their kids get free everything including college. I am just sick of it! Its time for the Republican Party to step up their game and start shouting louder than the Democrats. I don't understand why the Republicans that we voted in for change sit back and do nothing! Our country needs saving from the socialist left and we had great hope in our new Republican President and our Congress. What happened? Republicans need to get off their haunches and start doing the job we elected them to do. Democrats play dirty and we need to play harder and smarter. Republicans need to start engaging and energizing their base and get out their message loud and clear.

• Genie Garcia

01/06/2019 04:41 PM

A Veteran has started up a GoFundMe account for the WALL. Is there a reason why POTUS cannot accept that money?

• James Evart

01/06/2019 04:07 PM

Does it matter what anyone calls it? The fact is, no matter what anyone calls it, the Democrats will be opposed to it. They are hypocrites, divisive, deceitful, unpatriotic, and enemies of our great country for selfish interests.

• Delilah Smallfoot

01/06/2019 04:02 PM

I like this suggestion: https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-01-06-its-time-trump-should-declare-a-national-emergency-build-the-border-wall.html?fbclid=IwAR0UwwXASQkkSvNOO1r42aGCEdjARJaTVQs_N9U3tcyMNObb_a1tXmIQYko ...It’s time: Trump should declare a national emergency, build the border wall, activate the military police and arrest the deep state traitors

• Linda Laws

01/06/2019 03:21 PM

I wish President Trump would hold kind of a "fireside chat" and in it have video clips of Pelosi and Schumer and Obama saying the exact same thing as he has said about the necessity of protecting this country from those trying to enter illegally, and also quote numbers about how much money the government spends in supporting these illegals once they get here. And repeat it often. "Believing comes by hearing" as the Bible says.
    Can you help encourage him to do that? I think it would open a lot of eyes (and mouths) by seeing and hearing that those samesaid politicians were in favor of it until Donald Trump proposed it. Drives us out here in "flyover country" crazy to see such hatred for anything he proposes! Really makes you wonder about whether Evil incarnate is actually inhabiting many of our people. Don't know how to account for it otherwise -- it's beyond all reason to see the viciousness of the attacks on him and anyone who supports him.
    Thank you and thank your daughter for your steadfastness in defending the President in spite of all the vicious opposition you face these days.

• Dar Brooks

01/06/2019 12:50 PM

If you want an objective opinion on walls just tell any rancher that you are going to remove his fences and put up sensors and cameras to keep his cows in. Tell him not to worry the sensors and maybe drones will take care of it. After he stops laughing he will tell you, you are out of your mind.

• Kate Stone

01/05/2019 11:34 PM

I worked with rambunctious pre-adolescent kids a lot, and obviously addressed many issues that needed intervention. One thing I would do is explain that school behavior was kind of like a basketball game, where there are boundary lines, and if the ball went out of that line, the referree called "Out of bounds." I would tell the kids that they were not being bad, and I really liked them. Then I would specifically point out to them that whatever they had done was "Out of bounds," of the rules of the game in school behavior. You know what? They got it! Boundaries are something our whole culture understands, with our national passion for sports like basketball, football, baseball, hockey, tennis. There are boundaries all over that are respected aas part of the rules. Why can't such a concept relate to our border. It is our boundary, and there is a rule that it cannot be crossed except via legal entry. The same is true of entry into sports stadiums, concerts, etc. There are wall, fences, boundaries of some kind, and then gates where legal entry is secured through valid tickets. How can such a concept be called immoral when it is a standard global procedure for crowd control and lawful entry. Based on the terrain and other factors, the way to secure our nation's boundaries can vary from wall, to fence, to water, to technology. There is no way the entire border can be staffed with armed guards. Once a invader sets foot across the boundary, the intervention becomes more complex. A barrier that prohibits that initial foothold is essential, and if a drone can see the invader, there is still no way to stop the foot placement before it is too late. Please continue to try and help with your down home wisdom to help resolve this toxic issue that has become a cancer to our country.

• Michael Galloway

01/05/2019 09:23 PM

Sometimes the President's tweets make me cringe or find myself saying, "why would he tweet that or pick that battle?", but today I agree with his tweet 100%! His tweet was that the Democrats want billions of dollars for foreign aide, but do not want 5.6 billion for a wall or security for Americans. That tweet speaks volumes and should speak volumes to many conservative, patriotic Americans. The Democrats of course want billions for foreign aide or any $ that goes anywhere but to America and American citizens, or money that will help illegals or protect their desired sanctuary states and cities. The Democrats are a huge part of the problem of why America has gotten to the place it has, which includes their efforts to take God out of America, put America way down on the list and prioritize almost every other country and those things anti-American!!!! So when the President blames Democrats for the shut down of government, no border wall and all the other things caused by the Democrats, he is 100% right. Wake up America, the Democrats are the anti-American and anti-America political party. The President will struggle to keep America First as long as the Democrats are in charge anywhere in this country.

The economy numbers and unemployment numbers should also be tweeted by the President often. And the conservative media through CRTV and others should be touting the same, but again, hope the President starts putting out these positives, because we know we won't get that information from the left liberal mainstream media or the Democrats who spew their hate for the President and their dislike for America !!!!

Thanks again Governor Huckabee for these great informative newsletters and giving us the facts and truth of what is going on.

• kay efird

01/05/2019 02:57 PM

Major Bill is right on target. May you can get him to talk to our president.

• Michael Galloway

01/05/2019 12:39 PM

The wall, barrier or whatever you want to call it is so absolutely necessary. I think it was Mark Levin or one of the other conservative news outlets on CRTV who did a segment on border security and pointing out the other countries that have "walls" or other types of barriers and how effective they have been. I do recall Israel being mentioned, but there were other countries, who must be shaking their heads at the U.S. and all this political talk about the wall, particularly when you have the likes of Nancy Pelosi who continually says that it is immoral and that is not what the U.S. stands for. What is immoral is allowing such a mass of illegals to cross our border and threatens the safety and security of the legal U.S. citizens. President Trump is absolutely right in taking a strong stance on getting a wall at our southern border. Of course we have the Democrats, the courts and other groups protesting as a secure wall would threaten their agenda, right along with the phony mainstream media.

The wall should have been constructed 30+ years ago. And "border security" whether that means an increase in border patrol, ICE agents, etc. isn't going to be enough or effective. Look at the video's of so many crossing the border where it isn't secure. Not enough manpower to ever stop it. So sick of the politics behind this, but it proves once more (like we needed more proof) that the Democrats/Socialist have a bigger agenda. Just listen to liberal left Kamala Harris and too many others and it only reinforces how much they want to change our country, our values and our Constitution, by labeling the very people who are our border security. I hope and pray that President Trump stands strong in securing the funding or by any other means the accomplishment of getting the wall built. As Phil Robertson has said, "so what if the government shuts down, what have they done for the average citizen lately?" (paraphrased) And like another reader mentioned, why is it that the federal worker doesn't get paid, why not the people in Congress who shouldn't get paid until solutions are made !!!!
    The huge majority of those phonies in Congress don't even deserve a pay check when the government is running, let alone when it is shut down !

Here’s his letter, with very slight editing just for clarification...

From William R:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKEA response to a reader comment on "Trump's Wall"

"Lawfare" Suits

The Jussie Smollett Hoax

I am not tired of winning yet

Mueller Investigation Update

• Donald Clotfelter

01/06/2019 07:47 PM

• Carl Serkland

01/06/2019 07:03 PM

• Tim

01/06/2019 06:56 PM

I believe we have a Congress full of LIARS!

• Robert Paul Johnson

• Kate Stone

01/05/2019 11:34 PM

• Michael Galloway

01/05/2019 09:23 PM

• kay efird

01/05/2019 02:57 PM

Major Bill is right on target. May you can get him to talk to our president.

• Michael Galloway

01/05/2019 12:39 PM

Here’s his letter, with very slight editing just for clarification...

From William R:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKEA response to a reader comment on "Trump's Wall"

"Lawfare" Suits

The Jussie Smollett Hoax

I am not tired of winning yet

Mueller Investigation Update

• Donald Clotfelter

01/06/2019 07:47 PM

• Carl Serkland

01/06/2019 07:03 PM

• Tim

01/06/2019 06:56 PM

I believe we have a Congress full of LIARS!

• Robert Paul Johnson

• Kate Stone

01/05/2019 11:34 PM

• Michael Galloway

01/05/2019 09:23 PM

• kay efird

01/05/2019 02:57 PM

Major Bill is right on target. May you can get him to talk to our president.

• Michael Galloway