Evening Edition - July 30

July 30, 2020 |

HERMAN CAIN

Thursday brought the sad news of the death of a friend, Herman Cain.

After a highly successful career as CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, this brilliant entrepreneur spent the following years as a radio talk show host and a Presidential candidate, but always he was a tireless advocate for free enterprise, for opportunity for all, and for an America that gave people opportunities to dream big and do big.

I became closely acquainted with Herman Cain in 2007 during my campaign for President in the GOP Primary. Herman was one of the national leaders of the Fair Tax movement, and the Fair Tax was a centerpiece of my campaign. We spent time together throughout the campaign in advocacy for the Fair Tax.

After the campaign and when I became a contributor for Fox News, I would regularly invite Herman on my show to talk free enterprise, conservative values, and of course, the Fair Tax.

In 2012, Herman launched his own campaign for President. Feeling that the country might not be able to fully understand the Fair Tax, he created a “Step One” toward the Fair Tax in his simple but profound 9-9-9 plan. The simplicity of the plan caught on, and Herman was like the evangelist in a crusade, brilliantly explaining that a tax fixed and finite is more fair. I was able to spend time with him on the campaign trail and one of my favorite memories is playing bass for a band that accompanied Herman in singing his beloved Gospel music.

He had a great sense of humor and was the eternal optimist. I loved just being around him as his vivacious spirit was truly contagious.

I’ve hated all that the Chinese Virus has done to the world, but I’m especially angry that this awful virus took the life of a great American, a kind gentleman, and my friend, Herman Cain.

At this link, some prominent people from the political world pay their respects.

A FOLLOW-UP ON THE AG BARR "HEARING": THE GOV ANSWERS READERS

Many of you wrote to say you shared my disgust at the Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to take down Attorney General Bill Barr. But before I answer a few letters, I have to offer one quick update.

The way they treated the attorney general was shameful enough, but one Judiciary Committee member simply had to complain afterwards about HIS behavior. Here’s Pennsylvania Rep. Madeleine Dean: “He was disrespectful, spoke over [the] top of every one of us. In particular, he spoke over women. He was flanked by at least ten staffers –- not a person of color among them.”

Okay! We've pandered to women and people of color. Now, on to the letters...

From Linda:

Thanks for your continued excellent news, Governor! If I don't hear it from you, I don't trust it.

I think the Left sees that their end is near, and they are frantic in their targeting of Barr, Trump, and anyone who stands with them. They are trying anything and everything to take them down. But as Sen. Kennedy says, "The American people are not morons."

From the Gov:

You’re right about their fear of Barr; he’s too smart for them and knows too much. I’ll bet you could have smelled the fear in that room, and it wasn’t coming from him.

From Carlos:

As a Spinal Tap fan,"I know that Democrats "BREAK LIKE THE WIND.”

From the Gov:

And that’s the “Reader Comment Of The Day.”

From Tim:

Great article...Liberals are an embarrassment and are lawless with no dignity. No one is surprised by their behavior but everyone is very tired of seeing [it], and the coup continues in the streets at this point. The DOJ and GOP better do something about the censorship of conservatives on social media and the attack on voting with the mail-in election tampering and voter fraud.

From the Gov:

Agreed. I wish Barr showed more concern about mail-in ballots. Ballot integrity is CRITICAL this time –- every vote!

From Roberta:

I watched the hearing and was thoroughly disgusted with the way the Democratic representatives treated Mr. Barr. The Democratic Party is not the party that I grew up with...Surely the American people see through their lies and hopefully will reject any... Democrat candidate!

From the Gov:

I hope you’re right, and that traditionally independent voters will see it’s impossible now to vote for anyone with a “D” by his or her name. We’ve gotten a good look at what the party as a whole has become. Anything that strengthens the Democrat Party as it exists today is wrong for America.

From Karen:

Loved the reference to 1984 with the “two minutes of hate” comment. I am rereading 1984 after reading it the first time some 45 years ago. Orwell had no idea what a prophet he really was. Thank you for your common-sense approach to the news!

From the Gov:

Thanks, Karen. George Orwell imagined his bleak society of the future long before the digital age, GPS and video surveillance, which take “Big Brother” to a whole new level. But hate --- hate is timeless, like the quest for power. If the “democratic” socialists running the Democrat Party today could remake America, it would end up just like Animal Farm.

From Helen:

When Nadler said to the attorney general, "...You should be ashamed of yourself," it was too much for me. Nadler is the one who should be ashamed –- he should never show his face again. He should resign and go into hiding.

I wish there was a way to thank the attorney general and to let him know how much sympathy and sadness we have for him for going through that awful treatment.

From the Gov:

Nadler has no shame. And believe it or not, there are some who hate Trump so much, they applaud Nadler for abusing Barr. But I think Barr knows that lovers of the law are applauding HIM for his resilience. I also get the impression he’s determined to do the right thing, regardless, for its own sake. When Barr is in the room, Nadler and his Democrat colleagues are far outclassed. Not to mention outwitted --- that’s why they couldn’t risk letting him talk.

From Glenda:

Is there any way to censure the [House] Judiciary Committee for this proceeding? I have never seen anything like this before!

From the Gov:

They deserve that, but censure requires a vote on the House floor. Speaker Nancy Pelosi isn’t about to allow that, as she is no doubt pleased as punch with them. This is the woman who tore up the President’s State of the Union speech and has essentially called Republicans murderers.

From Laurie:

Nadler, you have met Antifa and they are you.

From the Gov:

Laurie, you’ve hit on something. It reminds me of the Greg Gutfeld tweet we featured in our own commentary. People like Nadler are using their positions of power to do to America figuratively what Antifa is doing literally; namely, burning it down. In that sense, because these elected leaders do have such power, they are even more dangerous than people with torches.

From Shannon:

...I pray that the American people can see through this and show their feelings at the polls in November. God bless the United States of America.

From the Gov:

Indeed. And I’ll leave the discussion on that hopeful note.

TO LEAVE ME A COMMENT, GO TO MY WEBSITE HERE>>>

POLL RESULTS

Over 28,000 of my newsletter readers responded to our poll question: If the Coronavirus vaccine were available tomorrow, would you get it?

65% NO

15% UNDECIDED

20% YES

If you voted no, I am interested in hearing why you don't want to get the vaccine at this time.  Leave me a comment on my website here>>>

SEATTLE RESIDENTS BEGINNING TO SPEAK UP

The Seattle city council is considering a plan to slash the police budget by 50%, which would require laying off hundreds of officers. Which is as dumb as…well, I can’t think of anything comparable in stupidity to cutting your police budget by 50% in the middle of riots and a pandemic. Still, a veto-proof majority currently supports it.

Fortunately, the people of Seattle are getting fed up with their “leaders” siding with rioters and against them. The Seattle Police Officers Guild started a “Stop Defunding” petition that’s garnered more than 20,000 signatures. And hundreds of people called in to a phone meeting on the issue, many adamantly opposed. One said, “Defunding the police is a radical experiment that will hurt the vulnerable.”

Of course, some die-hards are still behind it. One said, “Nothing less than defunding will begin to heal the violence committed by police against Seattle’s Black, Brown and Indigenous communities.” This overlooks the verifiable fact that far more violence is committed against those communities by criminals, and it gets much worse when the police aren’t around, as many minority residents are saying, when they’re allowed to speak for themselves.

But the good news is that many residents are getting over their initial intimidation and finally starting to speak out against these suicidal policies. The Democrats keep claiming we need to elect them to “return to normalcy.” In actuality, what would return America to normalcy would be rejecting their crazy, far-left, anti-rule-of-law policies.

PS – In reading through this article, I actually saw something comparable in stupidity to trying to solve lawlessness by cutting half the police budget. It’s Seattle’s mayor blaming President Trump for the violence in Seattle because he finally sent in federal forces to deal with the ongoing violence in Seattle.

NO END IN SIGHT

The Democratic Governor of Oregon has agreed to stop the violence in Portland, and in return, Vice President Pence agreed that federal officers will be removed. And if you think pulling out the federal officers will end the violence, then you’re living in Dreamland.

At that link, attorney/blogger Anthony L. DeWitt has an excellent article called “The Cease Fire That Won’t Be,” examining how we got here and what is likely to happen next. The Democrats have a golden opportunity to show America that they are capable of restoring the peace and bringing radical communist revolutionaries under control using their preferred methods. The odds of that happening make “slim and none” look like “sure thing.”

THE TRUTH ABOUT ANTIFA IN SEATTLE

KTTH-AM Seattle radio host Jason Rantz spent 10 hours last Saturday in the middle of downtown to determine whether what’s going on there is “peaceful protests” or “riots.” He reported to Radio Ink that “it was a riot,” and anyone who claims this is peaceful is either lying or doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Rantz said, “When you set fire to five construction trailers, ransack and destroy a Starbucks, throw a munition at a police station, and spend your afternoon hurling rocks, water bottles, and other items at cops, it ceases being peaceful.” As for media coverage, he said local radio and TV were honest, but the Seattle Times was “embarrassing.” They tried to blame the police for the violence and “took 14 paragraphs before they even got to the arson, and 18 paragraphs before they got to the munition attack.” He added, “Nationally, the only meaningful and honest coverage I’ve seen consistently is from FOX News.”

I’ll have to ask him if he’d like to subscribe to our newsletter, where we’ve been telling the truth about Antifa for years now.

DAILY VERSE

• Michael Minic

07/30/2020 11:24 PM

I truly loved Mr. Herman Cain. I’ve been following him for years. I was all set to vote for him when he was running for president, but he dropped out before the primaries in my state. Then he came into the talk radio business, and I listened to his show when I could. After that, I continued reading the pieces posted to his Facebook page (yes, many posts were written by others, but housed on the website with his name and under his direction, I’m sure). I will dearly miss his strong conservative voice.

• Cheryl Breon

07/30/2020 11:22 PM

I remember Herman Cain most when he hosted the Neil Bortz show on the radio years ago. His humor and presence and sound mind will sorely be missed. He was the voice of reason and encouragement. On another note, I wish there was something we could do about Google's manipulation of votes. Did you see the former editor of "Psychology Today" (a Clinton supporter) testify to Ted Cruz that Google manipulated up to 10.4 million votes in 2016?? And in 2020, if not stopped, there will be much more and will not cost them a dime to do it. That's horrifying!

• Floyd A Unger

07/30/2020 11:12 PM

Excellent...thank you

• Bonnie Parvino

07/30/2020 10:55 PM

I believe in free enterprise----BUT even the republicans must believe that it is wrong for our military uniforms to be made in China. And our medicines to be made in China. And for the inferior pipes of our Keystone Pipeline, going through the aquafers in our land, made in China. >>>> It took a Jewish banker to pull George Washington out of the starvation & freezing to death of Valley Forge....>>>>But from the first---the l3 colonies knew that America must be able to make its own food, clothing and other necessities in order to survive and thrive. But in the last years, I have sat back and said nothing that anyone would listen to. Then I realized I MUST TALK---You see, I washed so many of those uniforms and fumed and realized that is wrong. We can see by this virus that we must support our military by being able to feed them and clothe them. >>> Our Police must be supported by the citizenry of this country. NO I DO NOT believe in the brown shirts of Nazism but we must respect the authorities that we have. I am not saying worship. We worship JESUS of NAZARETH. I am deeply concerned about my country. Please pray for my family and for me. With love for America, I am, Bonnie Parvino

• Crystal Reamer

07/30/2020 10:54 PM

Governor,
    I was devastated this morning upon hearing that Herman Cain had passed away. I did not know him personally but could tell he was a warm and gentle man who probably lit up the room with his smile and laugh. The world is a darker place with his loss. I am sorry you lost your friend. I wish I could've known him.

• Judy Radley

07/30/2020 10:43 PM

Recent good news in Rochester, NY, that Eastman Kodak Company will be making pharmaceuticals so we don't need to rely on China for them, hopefully one day soon, we will not have to rely on China for anything, as it will be all made in America. However, the problem why Kodak started laying off was because of the 9-11 Terrorist Attack from Iran, and work shutdown, also, the Environmentalist Liberals of Rochester, NY, were crybullies about Kodak polluting the land. So now that Kodak will be making pharmaceuticals that will help all Americans in many ways and also less reliance on China for anything, the environmentalist wackos will start up again, you see, especially since it is another great idea by President Trump and Rochester is run by liberal democrats. So hopefully they won't ruin a great idea, but as we all know, liberal socialists will lie, cheat, corrupt anything that is good for America. I worked for Kodak for over a decade, and it is a great company, but several times the black workers thought they weren't getting paid the same as white workers, and lawsuits were filed and the black people got their way, and so did the lambda groups too, but the white workers who worked hard daily there, got nothing but pink slips because of affirmative action. So hopefully Kodak has learned from the past not to fall for the p.c. 'woke' idiots and resist any pressure as it is a good thing NOT to rely on China, esp. now that all of China is Communist ruled, for anything. The greatest thing of all would be not to have any trade with China at all and China will become like a 3rd world country and as barren as the frozen Siberia in Russia, and deserts in parts of Africa and Australia, and Iran, etc. Communism and Socialism are not good for any country on Earth, and hopefully the younger generation in all countries will realize that and do away will all Socialist and Communist regimes 50 years from now. And North Korea will get their comeuppance and the people will rise and not tolerate any communism or socialism in any form in any country, that all will be democratic republics, by the people, for the people, and of the people. It will be good to have more countries like America, than perhaps differences can be dealt with without wars and hatred, but we know that won't ever happen.

• Wanda Floros

07/30/2020 10:43 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,
    Thank you for writing News we can trust. There isn’t much of it. Thank you for your strong Conservative and Christian stance. I am grateful for your commentary each and every day. It gives me hope.

• John Woodrow King

07/30/2020 10:20 PM

I'm seeing a number of pro left petition ads attached to your articles. This article had a petition for voting by mail nationwide. Washington has vote by mail. I'm never sure what happens to my ballot, and no way to verify where it goes.

• Doris Buchanan

07/30/2020 10:04 PM

Governor, I agree with you on Herman Cain, He was one of the finest men I have ever known. At one time I lived and worked in Atlanta and I met him once. He was so gracious, with that big smile. I listened to his radio program every day and learned more on it that I would have learned by listening to so called tv news all day. He will be sorely missed. I pray for his family, this is going to be a sorrowful time for them and for those who loved him, admired him and respected him. I knew he had had the virus but thought he was doing better. So sad but, praise God, we know where he is. In my estimation he was ten times the "man" John Lewis was but that is my opinion. I will mourn the loss of Herman Cain, not so much John Lewis.

• Christine G Anderson

07/30/2020 09:38 PM

So sorry to hear about Herman Cain-what a kind man-.
    Condolences to you as well.

• Don Endicott

07/30/2020 09:28 PM

Thank you for always conforming the truth about the Democrats, so called protestors, rioters looters , arsonists, and the stupidity of reducing the police forces.

• Darlene F. Donston

07/30/2020 09:28 PM

Very sad about Herman Cain and was so shocked to see he had passed away when I got on here this morning. My husband thought he saw something on Fox and Friends this morning but nothing else came up on it. I have always liked Herman and always agreed with everything he said. There was just something about him. I am sure he went straight to Heaven, God Bless Him!

• Edie Faylor

07/30/2020 09:15 PM

I do not trust any vaccine right now therefore I will not take it. At my age (80) being careful and wearing a mask (although I think that is a stupid idea) is more than adequate. There are no guarantees in life, and when the good Lord tells me it is time for me to join him, I will gladly go.

• Ray Cowden Witter

07/30/2020 09:10 PM

Mike,
    Please comment on the crime and destruction in the Democrat's Cities.
    Warm Regards,
    Ray

• Helen Sustachek

07/30/2020 09:09 PM

So Obama has become another Al Sharpton. Despicable!

• Riley Edwards

07/30/2020 09:09 PM

Herbert Cain was a great man--we were privileged to have his energy bless us--

• Shari Reichmuth

07/30/2020 08:58 PM

I never met Herman Cain but I feel he was my friend also. Through his campaign and following him on Fox News I felt we got to know him and knew we would love him if we met him. So sorry to see his life wasted on this virus. He had so much more to contribute to and for our country.
    RIP Herman Cain and God Bless

• Beverly Thiels

07/30/2020 08:57 PM

This panel, imo, we need to hear right now. I hope you'll listen to this and share; it's a panel of 4 African-Americans discussing current events.

• Joseph Arena

07/30/2020 08:53 PM

The letters from the people about AG Barr’s appearance in the House are full of hopes and wishes. I have no hope left. The snowball is halfway down the slope gathering speed and mass as it goes. The end is near. Our youth, “the future leaders of tomorrow” have been indoctrinated. Again, once Biden is elected the Durham investigation will be halted, progressive ideas will be ushered in. The USA, as the founders imagined, will be gone. I am glad I am 74 and won’t be around to witness what will be next.

• mark spowage

07/30/2020 08:48 PM

the trump drug would have saved herman .
    the democrats MURDERED him by denying him the drug !

• Twila Flowers

07/30/2020 08:46 PM

I look forward each day to your Bible verse and the lovely pictures, thank you for that. An encouraging sight and assurance for these tough days. It is so maddening to watch the riots in Seattle and Portland and other places and see them getting away with this destruction. When will we get someone with enough sense and gumption to stop this. These are criminals and they need to be brought to justice. What does the rest of the world think about this country.
    Who would want to come here or live in this chaos.

• Joan Barry

07/30/2020 08:42 PM

We have lost a great and intelligent yet humble patriot. God bless his family during this very sad time.