Herman Cain

July 30, 2020 |

Thursday brought the sad news of the death of a friend, Herman Cain.

After a highly successful career as CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, this brilliant entrepreneur spent the following years as a radio talk show host and a Presidential candidate, but always he was a tireless advocate for free enterprise, for opportunity for all, and for an America that gave people opportunities to dream big and do big.

I became closely acquainted with Herman Cain in 2007 during my campaign for President in the GOP Primary. Herman was one of the national leaders of the Fair Tax movement, and the Fair Tax was a centerpiece of my campaign. We spent time together throughout the campaign in advocacy for the Fair Tax.

After the campaign and when I became a contributor for Fox News, I would regularly invite Herman on my show to talk free enterprise, conservative values, and of course, the Fair Tax.

In 2012, Herman launched his own campaign for President. Feeling that the country might not be able to fully understand the Fair Tax, he created a “Step One” toward the Fair Tax in his simple but profound 9-9-9 plan. The simplicity of the plan caught on, and Herman was like the evangelist in a crusade, brilliantly explaining that a tax fixed and finite is more fair. I was able to spend time with him on the campaign trail and one of my favorite memories is playing bass for a band that accompanied Herman in singing his beloved Gospel music.

He had a great sense of humor and was the eternal optimist. I loved just being around him as his vivacious spirit was truly contagious.

I’ve hated all that the Chinese Virus has done to the world, but I’m especially angry that this awful virus took the life of a great American, a kind gentleman, and my friend, Herman Cain.

At this link, some prominent people from the political world pay their respects.

• Mark Lastovica

07/31/2020 01:30 AM

Loved the guy. I was a franchisee for Godfather’s Pizza and worked with him for several years. He came in and turned the chain around quickly. I’m shocked and saddened. Prayers for the Cain family. Godspeed

• sheila powell

07/31/2020 01:14 AM

H. Cain's death is a tragic for America. Prayers and condolences to his family. He was a great leader and patriot And he will be sorely missed.

• Glenn McCormick

07/31/2020 01:14 AM

Truly a Great American Patriot Herman Cain we lost a great man Heaven gained a great Saint RIP

• John D Sword Jr

07/31/2020 01:07 AM

Mr. Cain was an inspirational man that affected me and my generation. He was an intellectual with a common man fell about him. I never met him person, but would love to have. Now I will have settle for meeting him in heaven. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. My deepest condolences of the loss of this great man.

J. Sword

• John Stalcup

07/31/2020 12:13 AM

He was my man in 2012; a patriot, a leader, a family advocate, and a true follower of our Lord.

• Vivis Smith

07/31/2020 12:06 AM

The world is a much smaller place with the passing of Herman Cain. His love of country is unsurpassed. Sir you and your voice of reason will be sorely missed. Prayers of peace and comfort for the Cain family and friends in Jesus name, Amen.

• Olive Pavolini

07/30/2020 11:11 PM

Herman Cain will be greatly missed. He was a true gentleman and his wit and love for our country will not be forgotten.

• Laurie Caruso

07/30/2020 10:50 PM

Mr. Cain was a brilliant man with a compassionate heart.

• Arden Dale Saxon

07/30/2020 10:41 PM

My heartfelt sympathies go out to Herman's family at this time. As a Conservative Canadian and Fox News fan I will always remember Mr. 9-9-9 who always spoke with authority and compassion about his love for his country and their people. He was a great Christian in a country including my own, who have in many ways lost their Judeo Christian moorings. He would have made a great President!

• Clarissa Kopchak

07/30/2020 10:06 PM

I will miss his wisdom and common sense. He was a great guy and I voted for him in the primaries. He is on to better things though. Heaven is his just reward.

• Brad Basil

07/30/2020 09:40 PM

thank you Mr. Cain and God bless your family. You were bold and courageous to stand at a time like this, for Truth and justice, the kind of Truth that comes from our God that is watching over us, and is welcoming your Spirit to be with him. Angels will now welcome you and I personally will miss your encouragement.
    Thank you for your devotion to helping this nation and it's citizens.

• Wanda Nunley

07/30/2020 09:35 PM

My dear Mr. Cain! You always put a smile on my face. I know you are in the arms of our savior but you will be missed down here. Love and prayers for your family. RIP sweet man.

• Bill Futter

07/30/2020 08:59 PM

Herman Cain was a great American

• Sharon Pecherzewski

07/30/2020 08:54 PM

how sad what a great loss! :(

• Holly Rubino

07/30/2020 08:12 PM

Thank you SO much, Mike for your personal tribute to Herman Cain. I LOVED this man and everything he stood for. I am not only deeply saddened by his passing but also that more hasn't been said about him today in the media. He worked tirelessly for his beliefs and for the love of our nation. I was glad to see that President Trump honored him first thing this afternoon before continuing on about Covid. My heart hurts for his family tonight.

• Holly Lewis

07/30/2020 08:04 PM

He will be greatly missed , my family and I are very sad to hear of his passing from this virus the China let loose on this world ????God have mercy on us . Rest In Peace Mr. Cain .

• Dawn Clark

07/30/2020 08:00 PM

what a wonderful man! Such a big presence, but not a big ego. Humble and proud, he will be missed! RIP Mr. Cain

• Candace Lemming

07/30/2020 07:44 PM

A wonderful man who no longer has to suffer from any illness. He is with Jesus. I pray for comfort for his family in their grief and loss.

• Mary Blue

07/30/2020 07:42 PM

So sad was a wonderful man. He will be missed. Prayers for his family.

• Shelia Stowers

07/30/2020 07:31 PM

I will miss this great man!??

• Rita Riley

07/30/2020 07:23 PM

A bright light that shined through the darkness of pure evil, a man of dignity and a man that fought for all of Americans! God Bless Mr. Herman Cain ??????

• Deborah Hendrix

07/30/2020 07:14 PM

Thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Herman Cain. He will be missed!

• Margaret Shepherd

07/30/2020 06:58 PM

I was so impressed with a business man who wanted to help turn our country around. I was angry when lies were told. I was impressed by his grace afterwards. Mr.Cain was truly a gentleman and a patriot. He will be very missed!

• Rev. Dr. Bill Long