Friday's "Wuhan virus" developments

March 21, 2020 |

In Friday’s developments around the COVID-19 coronavirus (or more accurately, “Wuhan virus”) pandemic, cases continued to rise, with New York City experiencing an average of one death per hour from it. But efforts to combat it are moving swiftly, such as making ventilators from 3D printers...

...And some treatments are showing early positive results.

Both the federal government and New York State are taking actions to prevent people from having their homes foreclosed due to inability to make mortgage payments during the virus shutdown.

President Trump announced that our southern border is being closed to nonessential trade. Also, he dismissed talk of a national lockdown and said that he’s suspended certain federal student loan payments for the next 60 days, and the Department of Education won’t enforce standardized test requirements for the current year. Also, the deadline for filing income taxes is being moved from April 15 to July 15.

I’m linking to that ABC News story because it actually contains info on all these important points and more. It wasn’t easy to find. When I Googled for news on this subject, the stories from other news outlets such as the New York Times, CNN and Vanity Fair were obsessed with calling Trump a “sociopath” who went on a “vicious rant” and dispensed “propaganda” because he lost patience with disrespectful reporters and dressed one down for asking a “question” that was a thinly-disguised accusation of giving people false hope.

To these anti-Trump media outlets, even in the middle of a worldwide deadly pandemic, the story is all about their feelings. Maybe that’s why the latest ABC/Ipsos poll shows that Americans’ approval of how Trump is handling the crisis has jumped 12 points in a week, from 43% to 55%. There was no similar jump in trust in the media.

Naturally, the media response to that was not introspection or reassessment of their own attitudes, but to attack Trump again, and list all the ways in which they think he’s handled this all wrong. They attack him for downplaying the threat if he tries to reassure Americans, and they attack him for frightening the nation and scaring stock markets if he delivers bad news frankly. They accuse him of racism for accurately calling it a “Chinese virus” while repeating bogus and vile talking points dispensed by the communist government of China. They badgered him to take a virus test, and when it came back negative, they assailed him for wasting a test. And now they’re baffled why the public is starting to trust Trump more than their reporting?

A reminder: Trump limited travel from China over this issue back in January, and the media called him xenophobic and racist, as did the Democrats when they weren't busy trying to impeach him. After he was proven correct, both later accused him of not acting soon enough to restrict travel from China.

Richard Fernandez at PJ Media made a good point: the media are lashing out in tantrums because not only have they been wrong about Trump’s handling of the virus, but the virus is exposing that they have been wrong about virtually everything they’ve been smugly preaching for years, from open borders to globalization to trusting China.

• Linda Urquhart

03/21/2020 02:44 PM

Mr. Huckabee, can you tell us how many virus survivors there are at this point? Some people are asking. Prayers for your and your family's continued well being.

• Theresa Leipert

03/21/2020 02:36 PM

He is a New Yorker he talks differently - for example Jeff Sessions - I am an Alabamian and for the life of me his accent - I appreciate Trumps positivity and tireless effort put into this virus - I am a conspiracy person and I still think this is another attempt to undermine his presidency. Thank you for all you do too!

• Anita Barker

03/21/2020 02:18 PM

BLESS YOU!!!!!!
    My household and family are all well.

• Clara Herrin

03/21/2020 02:17 PM

The chickens have finally come home to roost...and isn't it a wonderful thing to behold. As I have said so many times in the last few years, the truth will out; and leftist behavior has finally been revealed to be that of traitors. We all know what should be done with traitors...but will it? One can only hope and pray.

• Ouida h

03/21/2020 02:12 PM

You nailed it on this one. Thanks and congrats.

• Ann McKee

03/21/2020 02:04 PM

Praying God gives our President and Vice President and their families strength and courage and good health...and good times of rest and relaxation. Believing God hears and answers. Praise His holy name!!

• Martha Gunter

03/21/2020 01:56 PM

Love our President

• Elena Teresa Everts

03/21/2020 01:50 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee:

That Press Conference really showed me how clueless and faulty the Reporters there were to President Trump. It really showed me why there is so much FAKE NEWS coming out to the World. I posted a Meme to FB under the name (maiden) Elena Sampelayo regarding their egregious statements their rudeness/disrespect!

• Tommie S Nielse

03/21/2020 01:50 PM

The Trump government has saved our nation from the horrible media blitz of hate. Bravo President Trump. Long live this President who is a human like the rest of us in the USA.

• Rosemary Spitzer

03/21/2020 01:46 PM

Mike Huckabee,
    My question is about all the money we will be supplying for the virus. I agree we need to do this but I think every state should be looking at their budget and cutting out the non essential research and and other money they receive for junk stuff ( best word I could come up with). If every state could cover part of the emergency payouts it could help the rest of us who depend on their 401k and other investments. I am not saying we should not spend the money but we should all be in this together including the States budget. After this is over we can re-evaluate the state budgets cuts.
    Rosemary Spitzer

• John Chiero

03/21/2020 01:44 PM

Well Said Mike! Also they have not trusted in our Holy Father! The atheistic policies political correctness and homosexuality and slaughtering our children is being exposed by our Holy Father! Look at the pattern of this virus! Starts in China, they hate God, then jumps to Iran, well they have a false god they trust allah and we all know who that is! Now it has Italy in its clutches with a death rate higher than the commies!! We understand what is housed in Italy the Roman Catholic Church with a all their pedophiles, and muslim supporters! Now NY, SF, LA in our nation the hardest hit. It is starting out as judgement on areas that do not want anything to do with Jesus or His Father! Go Figure! Stay safe Mike you and your family! Peace Alwsys!

• james Peace

03/21/2020 01:40 PM

Help yourself, take a zinc supplement to reduce the impact of coronavirus.

• Rosalyn Shrader

03/21/2020 01:36 PM

I am more proud to be an American under this president's leadership than I have been for many years. I believe President Trump is doing a fantastic job handling this pandemic, especially when the media bashes him at every turn. I applaud his comments to the question asked yesterday. I wanted to slap the so-called journalist. I don't enjoy isolating from my church, my children, my grandchildren. But I am grateful for live streaming of church services, for Android's, iPhones, computers, and all the technology that allows us to stay in touch. God is reminding us He is in still in control.

• Beth Roberson

03/21/2020 01:31 PM

Excellent commentary. Thank you Governor for your regular inputs; appreciate your usual format with links embedded. Please keep safe, you and family - especially that gem Sarah.

Tranquil day from Belize,
    Beth Roberson
    Editor, Belize Ag Report
    *We were hopeful that you might have considered an ambassadorship to Belize; the homeland likely needs you more than Belize does now.

• Ellen Klipp

03/21/2020 01:29 PM

God bless Trump and Pence and all those working with them, and the truck drivers and farmers and grocery store workers and doctors and nurses--and all the neighbors being gracious in the empty grocery store aisles.
    And yes, Trump was right all along about the dangers of globalization and reliance on China, especially for pharmaceuticals.

• Chris Friedgen

03/21/2020 01:25 PM

I so appreciate you and your honest truthful news - as well as our terrific President. Thank you so very much!

• Marilyn Fischer

03/21/2020 01:20 PM

Mike: Can you connect with the hard-hat worker that Biden "exploded" at regarding his 2nd Amendment Rights question? He would be AWESOME to have on Sean Hannity's show!!!! XO

• Kirk Rushing

03/21/2020 01:17 PM

It seems that the media is not going to be right on anything President Trump. The Greatest News is he is always 2 steps ahead of them. I thank the Lord for our President and truly believe he’s right where God intends at this very time in American History. God Bless you too Governor and we Love your show. Thank you for telling us the truth.

• James Gower

03/21/2020 01:09 PM

Thank you for bringing the news our way Governor!

The HYPER PARTISAN media seems to be determined to trash the Trump Administration at all costs and without regard to any negative consequences to the American public at this time of national crisis. Disgusting.

• Rob E

03/21/2020 01:05 PM

Has anyone noticed that Rome enslaved, murdered and suppressed the Jews, and now Italy has the most fatalities from the Corona virus? Spain also tortured, killed and stole from the Jews, and now Spain has the second most fatalities. I'm guessing Germany will be the next country to suffer greatly due to what the Nazi's did during the Holocaust. And in modern times we see Iran suffering due to their evil regime wanting to "wipe Israel off the map". I find this very interesting. God will bless those who bless Israel, and curse those who curse Israel.

• Thomas H Nienburg Sr

03/21/2020 12:53 PM

The progressive baby killing democrats are unwilling to give the President any credit or concessions for anything he does, says & orders so to hell with them.
    Good work, Governor, or disseminating the truth
    Respectfully
    Thomas H Nienburg Sr

• William Albert Matthes III

03/21/2020 12:46 PM

The main-stream media these days are a national-disgrace. Never in my 66 years have I seen such lunacy and absolute hate for a President for simply doing his job. He has done a great job in everything. Jobs, border-security, foreign-relations, defense of our country, ect. He is the first President in my lifetime to actually do the things he promised the American people. And for this the main-stream-media, the Democrats, and the Rinos despise him? It's insane!

• George J Murrey

03/21/2020 12:45 PM

Isn't interesting how the left kept saying Pres Trump said it was a Kung Flu, not Chinese Flu?. This is exactly the way the left works, spin words to fit their narrative. I'll trust this pres to do what is necessary than the so-called doctors in any comment line. Also, we all know it is going to take time for the coronavirus takes its course.

• Kevin Turnbaugh

03/21/2020 12:42 PM

Amen Governor!! I am fed up with a media that is charged with informing we citizens with the truth/news, not that which they want us to know and believe.

• Heidi Petrick

03/21/2020 12:35 PM

Hey Governor, I think I have a new, or maybe not so new name for the media, satan. I bet you know as a Pastor that satan means accuser, well that is what the media is doing with President Trump. Kinda pathetic. Thanks for the info, Governor. God bless you and yours and stay well! Heidi