Utah Senator Mitt Romney, explaining on Wednesday his vote to convict and remove President Trump from office for “abuse of power,” showed his willingness to swallow hook, line and sinker the House managers’ case. I’m referring to the case the managers absolutely did NOT prove (which is why Trump was acquitted on Wednesday).

In fact, Romney, acting on his "conscience" and his “oath to God,” sounded as if he could’ve BEEN one of those House managers. Who needs Adam Schiff and Jerrold Nadler to spout unfounded allegations when you have Mitt Romney to do it? And now Mitt will go down in history as the first senator ever to vote to convict and remove a President of his own party.

Democrats and all anti-Trumpers are turning him into a hero, thumbing their noses at those who took due process and the rules of evidence seriously and concluded the House didn’t prove its case. If you can stomach it, here’s Jennifer Rubin in THE WASHINGTON POST: “His vote and more importantly his speech matter greatly, if only as reminders that every American has the capacity for greatness, the ability to stand on principle and the spine to refuse the entreaties of the mob.”

"The entreaties of the mob”?? To do what, read the transcript of the phone call between Trump and Zelensky, which showed no hint of “insistence” (Romney’s word) that Ukraine investigate the Bidens? Or think about the words of Zelensky himself, saying he'd felt “no pressure” to investigate? Perhaps to consider the House Republicans’s protest of Schiff’s decision to disallow any cross-examination of witnesses or introduction of exculpatory witnesses or documentation, which is all basic due process that Trump should have been provided? Or to admit the total lack of evidence that Trump had held up aid in any meaningful way to Ukraine or made it contingent upon investigating Biden? Romney did refuse all THOSE entreaties. Why?

Part of this is undoubtedly personal, as I’ll get to. But as Charlie Martin at PJ Media pointed out, “...It’s not allegations of corruption and seeking to investigate corruption that are bad; it’s seeking to investigate allegations of corruption BY A CANDIDATE FOR THE DEMOCRATS’ PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION that are bad."  The House’s impeachment case boiled down to one thing: that the Bidens were supposed to be off-limits to Trump, no matter what they were doing. Trump rightly disagreed. And now Romney wants to remove him from office because...he thinks Trump should have looked the other way?

One excellent point made by a caller to Rush Limbaugh’s show has been making the rounds: If Romney believed just a week ago that there was not enough evidence to convict Trump without additional witnesses, how can he vote to convict today when there have been no additional witnesses?’

In an interview with Chris Wallace recorded shortly before his announcement, Romney said this:  "I hoped beyond hope, as you might imagine, that there would be evidence brought forth by the White House that would say he did NOT do the things that were alleged.  And, unfortunately, that never came forward."

Note to Mitt: They made that case for me.  And maybe if the President had been allowed to cross-examine witnesses and bring documents and witnesses of his own into Schiff's secret proceedings, he could have made the case for you.  Besides, it's not the accused's obligation to prove innocence.  And the only way the managers could make THEIR case was by twisting what Trump said. Mitt, you are either poisoned by hate or out of your mind, or both.

Chris Wallace conducted an unbelievably softball interview with him, failing to venture into the hard questions about evidence and due process. It was all about Trump's probable response and the political consequences Mitt will face --- how "lonely" in Washington he's going to be.  Poor Mitt!  What a tough decision he had to make! The only ethical politician in the entire Republican Party! What a joke it was --- especially when he said he didn’t dislike Trump and had a cordial relationship with him. Do you REMEMBER the things Romney said about Trump in the days before he sought Trump’s nomination for Secretary of State? And then Trump didn’t nominate him. (Well, would you have?) Poor, poor, Mitt.

Significantly, Romney told Chris Wallace that the worst thing to ever happen to him politically has already happened, and that was losing the Presidency in 2012.  I would guess that his announcement Wednesday had much more to do with that bit of truth than with any “case” the House managers made, though Romney would deny that, of course, perhaps even to himself.

Never fear, the Bidens WILL be investigated, maybe in Ukraine and definitely right here in the good old USA. (Funny that Joe Biden seems to be fading as a candidate; it’s likely that Trump never seriously thought he’d be the nominee, so he had little political reason to look into Hunter.) Senate Republicans are looking into Hunter’s travel records, and if necessarsy they’ll get them from the Secret Service. As Catherine Herridge (now with CBS News) reported Wednesday, Sens. Chuck Grassley and Ron Johnson have already written to the director of the Secret Service seeking “information about whether Hunter Biden used government-sponsored travel to help conduct private business, to include his work for Rosemont Seneca and related entities in China and Ukraine.” and also “the protective detail that Hunter Biden received while his father was Vice President.”

On that front, we have breaking news, something that indirectly ties Romney to corruption at Burisma --- the very corruption that Romney was ready to remove Trump from office over, just for suggesting it be investigated. As reported in THE FEDERALIST, web archives show that top Romney advisor Joseph Cofer Black served on Burisma’s board of directors while Hunter Biden was also on the board. Mr. Black has a much more impressive resume than Hunter does, as you will see in the story at the link. But it’s looking more and more as though Burisma was buying complacency here in America by putting some carefully-chosen names on its board, and Hunter Biden was one of those. More to come.

Contrast Mitt Romney’s sanctimonious distortions of fact with the measured thoughtfulness of Maine Sen Susan Collins. She gave an admirable speech on the Senate floor prior to the final vote (as she did for the Justice Kavanaugh confirmation), and on Wednesday she appeared with Martha MacCallum on THE STORY, saying, “Well, I respect Mitt but I reached a different conclusion.” (She was nicer than I would’ve been.) She’d reflected on what the framers of the Constitution said and thought they would never want impeachment to be undertaken lightly, only for “high crimes and misdemeanors.”

Collins didn’t think the House managers had proved their case and thought the non-criminal charge of “abuse of power” was poorly defined. I disagree with her decision about calling new witnesses in the Senate, as Democrats had plenty of opportunity to make their case in the House. But at least she is someone who actually wants to be fair --- not just to give a false impression of being fair, as Romney does.

• Kevin Egan

02/11/2020 12:58 PM

Hello Mr Huckabee -

Every time you turn around now Mike there's another traitor on the loose. Another malcontent. Another disgrace.

This type of thing really gets me pissed off. I hope every one of these traitors are taken down. Traitors - yes. How about we talk about Expulsion? It's in our Constitution and for obvious good reason.
    What say you about Expulsion?
    Stay well and stick with it - you're doing a great service for US Mike - thank you.

• George Boland

02/11/2020 12:34 PM

Unacceptable! He is a true RINO! The people needs to vote him out of office. He is part of the "Deep State"!

• Sandra Renicker

02/11/2020 11:58 AM

He's a scumbag, has never been a Republican.

• Bonita Sanchez

02/11/2020 11:00 AM

I do not agree with him. He did wrong to vote against a member of his own party, especially since there was no evidence to convict him or impeach him!

• BARBARA LENTZ

02/10/2020 11:38 PM

THE ROMNEY IS JEALOUS --- AFTER ALL HE WAS A LOOSER AND STILL IS !

• Nick Snyder, Sr.

02/10/2020 11:28 PM

Rather than an answer, I would ask a question or two: Mr. Romney, please tell us when this year you are going to resign your seat in the US Senate? Will it be in time for a new candidate in Utah to get on the November ballot so he/she may serve the remaining four years of your term?
    An immediate resignation would be most appropriate, and well appreciated by all.
    Thank you.

• Elizabeth Houghton

02/10/2020 10:28 PM

I am a member of the LDS church, as is Romney. I am embarrassed once again, as I was when Harry Reid was pulling his dirty tricks, to see members of my faith take regrettable actions.

• Janice Languell

02/10/2020 09:54 PM

At age 80,I have seen too much name calling and back-stabbing-especially during the past (almost) 3 1/2 years. Senator Romney said that he stands on his conscience- or words to that effect-,but doesn't his conscience bother him that he changes places of residence just so he can be elected? I don't agree with this for any politician-small local governments or senatorial and congressional candidates. Too many try to "push the limit" and are barely over the line of truth. How can our young people grow up with integrity and become loyal,respectful citizens when they see the lack of these traits in our leaders?

• JACK M. KIMBRO

02/10/2020 08:33 PM

It stinks to the lowest hell!!!

• Eva Bush

02/10/2020 08:32 PM

I think Mitt Romney is sick as Pelosi and her followers. I totally disagree with his explanantion of voting led by his faith. He is a turncoat on the Repulican party.

• Mark Burns

02/10/2020 08:10 PM

Hang him with the rest of the democratic hypocrites! DRAIN THE SWAMP!

• Cindy Thill

02/10/2020 07:47 PM

Big mistake Romney! The transcript of those calls were clean! No abuse of power. Your display of “being choked up” as you described your belief in God.. must have been a brief prayer of forgiveness for what you were about to do! Too bad your imperfect mind didn’t follow your heart. My favorite scripture? “The secret of the Lotd is within those that fear him”!!! I’d repent if I were you.. God’s rath is worse than the sinful world we live in.
    And that’s my take on Mitt Romney! Thank you for this opportunity Huckabee! We love you! God Blesses!!!

• Leah D Hanson

02/10/2020 07:15 PM

Many of us are so tired of Mormons being elected to office, because they are Mormon, by Mormons.
    Utah has been traditionally a Republican State, one would think they would expect Mitt to act like he is a Republican, but since he used God as an excuse, well, deity beats (I'd like to say "trumps", but just doesn't fit right in this context) party, don't expect them to not reelect him.

• Jeff Myers

02/10/2020 06:58 PM

Romney is not telling the truth- not even close. Anyone that understands American Jurisprudence knows that the burden of proof was on the democrats. The evidence he desired was in the transcript written by 4 different people and listened to by dozens more. He committed political suicide, and I understand there is a recall petition in Utah. If Romney changes parties, he has zero chance of getting elected dog catcher anywhere in rock steady Republican Utah. I don't feel sorry for him, and my only regret is that I voted for him when he and Paul Ryan ran for the Presidency. Furthermore, I could not care if Romney ever ran for any political office again. He is fired!

• Mary Roy

02/10/2020 06:46 PM

Mitt is two time loosing “ninny”
    He does deserve a minute of anybody’s time.

• Genevieve G. McCunney

02/10/2020 05:55 PM

There wasn’t any evidence! There was nothing impeachable...therefore it is clear this was just a biased act against the President and a poor attempt for Mitt to get attention!!!

• Robert Johnson

02/10/2020 05:47 PM

Didn't like him,but backed him with time and money when he ran. Thought he gave it away at third debate, and didn't push back on Russia comment. Had no energy or enthusiasm or desire to win.

• Lisa Wooten

02/10/2020 05:35 PM

I think Mitt Romney is still upset that he did not get the presidency nod. I do not agree with him.

• Lee Swann

02/10/2020 05:31 PM

Mitt Romney is the PERFECT description of a "RINO"!
    "Republican In Name Only"! Unfortunately, I voted for him when he made his unsuccessful run @ POTUS; but, he WAS the better of the two choices.
    I understand someone RELYING on their "faith" for support, guidance and seeking to do the "right" thing. I DO NOT think him "using" his MORMON beliefs as a guide to his "decision" to vote FOR a GUILTY response was proper; and to add insult to injury vote the "other way" on the 2nd article. Sorry, Mitt, you have torn your britches. Your BEST option now, is to RECUSE yourself from ANY more Senatorial duties, go back to Utah, APOLOGIZE to all the IDIOTS that voted for you; and relinquish your seat to a TRUE REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Cathy Grindstaff

02/10/2020 05:14 PM

I totally agree with you...I have tried to wrap my head around his actions and all I can come up with is that he did for a show..like John Mc Cain...maybe he wanted to go into history books as the first Republican to vote for impeachment of his own party...well he made it...

• Rene Jones

02/10/2020 05:03 PM

It is my opinion that Romney is narcissistic and only looking for his own relevance since losing the election. His “prayerful” decision was so phony as is he.sad to think I voted for him.

• Bernard C Snyder

02/10/2020 04:58 PM

Mitt Romney deserves to be shunned by the RNC.
    There was no reason in the world for him to read what he feels he has to do because of his religious beliefs or his inner most feelings. He played right into the Democrats hands as he tried to convince other Senators to vote his way. If he felt that strongly all he had to do was wait until his name was called and vote your conscience. What a disgrace. I for one would never vote for Mitt Romney and I did in the past. I sure hope someone votes him out of office the next time he he runs. Our President is doing his best to keep our Country strong and create jobs and protect our borders and make healthcare affordable and available for all but we still have so many more obstacles in the way that we have to vote out of office.

• ballard rutherford

02/10/2020 04:43 PM

Dear Governor,
    I think for a man who claims to be a man of faith he is really petty, & is against Trump just because of what Trump said about him when they were running against each other. Sad. And Mitt & Collins, & others are why I quit being a member of the RNC every year, because I don't want any of my money going to them. Love,, Ballard Rutherford.
    Romans 8:28, Phil. 1:3-6, Joshua 1:9.

• Deborah Hunter

02/10/2020 04:41 PM

I drove 4 hours to Birmingham to attend a fundraiser for Mit Romney and VP running mate Paul Ryan. What I want to know is: How do I get my $ back so I can send it to a REAL leader. That would be TRUMP 2020. Romney has been a disappointment, to say the least.

• JENNIFER Jenkins

02/10/2020 04:24 PM

To me, it seemed like a last minute effort to bring attention to himself, so as to take the focus off of his son, perhaps? At that time, it didn’t matter, because Trump was going to be acquitted anyway. Now the media is talking about him, right along with Pelosi. Is that how his Mormon disciples have advised him? Interesting.